Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Shroomie posted:

As for fish, ATK's Mediterranean Instant Pot has a handful of fish recipes. I think they have you turn it off and quick release as soon as it reaches pressure.

This is supposedly rice + fish at the same time which would be a convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Here's the recipe! I've been doing 4 minutes, a single fish fillet, and sauteing kale then tossing it in at the end. I've also omitted the dried mushrooms, cause ew.

Threw curry powder and garlic powder in this time cause I gotta use up these spices and get better ones :mad:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Little less then a cup rinsed Jasmine rice
1.25 cups Water
Tablespoon Butter
2 frozen 4oz fish fillets (I use the Atlantic salmon from Whole Foods)
Salt
Dried mushrooms and/or sun-dried tomatoes (more water if using lots)
Chives (dried or fresh is fine)
Fresh spinach

Rinse Jasmine rice well and put in pot with water, butter, and chopped bite size dried stuff. Coat FROZEN fillets with a heavy pinch of salt and chopped chives. Place fillets skin down on top of rice. Set IP to HIGH, manual 3 minutes. Let manual release for 10 minutes. Plate hot rice over fresh spinach, let spinach wilt. Serves 2. Our favorite "gently caress it, I am tired, this is filling, somewhat healthy, and quick."

This recipe is how you do it! VVVVVVVVVVV

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 22, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't see how you could do rice and fish together without one of them being overcooked or undercooked.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hmmm, I've been doing rice for 8 min, didn't realize you do it in 3. I'll try it tomorrow.
edit; went 4 minutes + natural release and it was perfect. I'm even more impressed with the IP.

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 22, 2020

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone had good experiences with PC biryani? Followed the twosleevers recipe and the first time I ended up with the water coming nowhere near covering the rice so I ended up with hard undercooked but somehow still sludgy rice, the second time I added a little more water and am currently chowing down on tasty biryani flavored congee.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone had good experiences with PC biryani? Followed the twosleevers recipe and the first time I ended up with the water coming nowhere near covering the rice so I ended up with hard undercooked but somehow still sludgy rice, the second time I added a little more water and am currently chowing down on tasty biryani flavored congee.

OK, so couple of notes to consider with biriyani:

- Even if the recipe doesn't specify, try to find what's called "white sella" or parboiled basmati rice. Reason is that raw rice is too delicate to be handled enough for the spices and other junk to combine with the rice, and will either be undercooked and hard in the middle, or porridge. Avoid what's called "golden sella" basmati. You don't want them to have parboiled it so long that the grains turn golden in colour, but you also don't want to use raw rice.

- Soak the rice. Seriously. Even if you only have time to soak it for like 15 minutes, it'll help the results tremendously.

- Pasta method. You want extremely separate grains that are still cooked through, but not at all clumpy or sticky. Again, remember that bit about needing to work it so that it combines with all the stuff? Also, you don't want to cook the rice all the way through. You want it juuuuuuuuust this side of al dente, because it's meant to complete cooking in the oven with all the other stuff you add. You also don't want to just throw rice and other ingredients together, and try to cook the rice in the gravy (can't think of another word for the surrounding flavouring).

- IDK how it would work in a pressure cooker, but the reason that Indians use it for biriyani is because most Indian homes don't have an oven, and you're trying to replicate that indirect heat that slowly finishes the rice to perfection while giving it enough time to absorb the flavours of the spices and junk. If you do have access to an oven, by all means use it! Layer the cooked rice with the other ingredients in alternating layers. Cover tightly with foil. Traditionally, it'd be made in a clay pot with coals and such, but you can use a dutch oven or a casserole dish. and it'll come out perfectly fine. The key is to make sure it's tightly covered.

- Heave that sucker in the oven for like 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how long the recipe calls for it. and then let it sit and steam for like 10 minutes out of the oven before you serve.

-

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: I'm a loving idiot and should really wake up before posting. biryani!=basmati.]

AnonSpore posted:

dino's response seems way more informed that mine, but I just used this guideline last night and it seemed to come out well? 6 minutes high pressure, 10 minute natural release. I put a little bit of ghee in with it.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-basmati-rice/

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 4, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I tried the two sleever biryani recipe and it came out okay. I tried switching stuff out though and it totally came out like mush. If I can just make biryani in an oven that sounds great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah I use the pc for convenience so this sounds like it's defeating the purpose of that. Thanks for the tips, I'll look into putting my Dutch oven to use.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
FISHRICE RULES OK

The trick is to rinse the heck out of the rice. If you have the luxury of soaking the rice, you can cook it 2min high pressure, 10min natural release. You can use less water if you're not using mushrooms, a cup of water to a cup of well washed basmati is fine. Basmati and Jasmine are interchangeable in this recipe, use whatever.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 8, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
you put the fish and the rice in? like what kind of fish?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

barkbell posted:

you put the fish and the rice in? like what kind of fish?

Frozen salmon fillets. STILL FROZEN. It's magic/sufficiently advanced science indistinguishable from magic.

You don't have to put the rack in, let the fillets sit right on top of the rice. The rice soaks up the drippings.

Oh yeah, and w/r/t biryani, I've made it four times so far, every time better then the last. Cook your meat and onions, don't overdo it on the spices in the bottom, because they burn and your ip will turn off. If you pre-soak the rice, it only needs two minutes under pressure, then a long natural release. That's gotten me perfect rice and meat every time. It's super easy one pot biryani. Eat with raita and lemon.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 10, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah we've been using tilapia filets and it's :discourse:

Haven't been washing the rice though, guess I'll try that next time. I haven't found a great way to wash rice, any tips?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
use water, hth

put rice in a bowl, add water, rub with hands, and then drain off rinse water and add fresh water

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BraveUlysses posted:

use water, hth

put rice in a bowl, add water, rub with hands, and then drain off rinse water and add fresh water

This exactly. I cheat and put the rice in a wire mesh strainer in a bowl of water, stir vigorously with my fingers, lift, give it a quick rinse and done. It's surprising how milky the water is after washing the rice.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wormil posted:

This exactly. I cheat and put the rice in a wire mesh strainer in a bowl of water, stir vigorously with my fingers, lift, give it a quick rinse and done. It's surprising how milky the water is after washing the rice.

Yeah I've been placing our oil spatter guard thing over a bowl and doing it that way, may have to just buy an actual strainer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you dont need a strainer at all, just swish it around in a bowl and drain off as much water as you can

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Old rear end wire mesh strainer. I just like how it's a bit less claggy and sticky after cooking when it's been rinsed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a mesh strainer and bowl that happen to fit together but I've done it with just a bowl. I also have one of those plastic Japanese rice rinsing bowls, they suck rear end because the holes are just big enough so that rice gets stuck in them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

you dont need a strainer at all, just swish it around in a bowl and drain off as much water as you can

this, less cleaning afterwards

Segue
May 23, 2007

Yeah grains just stay on the bottom since they're uncooked and it's surprisingly easy just to drain off most of the water from the pot you're cooking in by just tilting it.

I used to wash lentils with a strainer but after seeing a few videos of people just using one pot I tried it and it's super convenient.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I;m thinking about thos Beans

Specifically thos dried Beans; despite owning an IP for a few years now, I’ve always used canned beans in recipes since that’s what they always call for. Well, recently I tried a recipe which cooked from dry and, uh, gently caress they were both good and easy as hell.

Are there any rules of thumb about adapting recipes that call for canned beans to dried? Specifically red kidney beans - this is the recipe I’m trying to make:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chili/

I’d prefer to just dump a bunch of beans straight from the bag into the pot, but I’m fine soaking overnight if that’s the easiest way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can presoak them if you want but you dont have to, they'll take a bit longer under pressure to cook if you dont soak.

so for that recipe, cook the beans however you want and then drain, then make the chili recipe exactly the way you would with canned beans.

https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/#tab-id-3

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I soak beans because I like the texture better, ymmv.

My latest craze is IP potatoes. I fill it up, add a cup of water, set for 14 minutes, natural release, and then I have a bunch of potatoes that are cooked and I can do whatever I want with him. I can oil and put them in the oven to crisp the skin, eat them as it is, smash or mash them, slice and fry. Last week I made two batches, filled up a big bowl with cooked potatoes and put them in the fridge and we snacked on them all week.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
My silicon ring for the lid smells really bad after making some pungent dishes. I followed the instructions in the manual to deodorize it by pressure cooking a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water and it didn’t do poo poo.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just buy spares and cycle them out/save one for pungent stuff.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Has anyone actually had their next meal come out tasting faintly of curry due to the ring retaining odors? I've gone curry -> plain white rice plenty of times with no problem

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Clark Nova posted:

Has anyone actually had their next meal come out tasting faintly of curry due to the ring retaining odors? I've gone curry -> plain white rice plenty of times with no problem

I can tell you from experience that curry to yogurt does not work.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My silicon ring for the lid smells really bad after making some pungent dishes. I followed the instructions in the manual to deodorize it by pressure cooking a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water and it didn’t do poo poo.
Same.

I've made a few Korean dishes, and now the ring smells forever like gochujang. It's so strong that I can smell it whenever I open the cabinet it lives in, even if I'm not getting out the Instant Pot.

I'm meticulous about hand-washing the ring as soon as it's cool enough, as well as the lid and filter. I think the silicone just picks up scents and won't let go.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

IP suggested putting in a freezer bag with baking soda but I haven't tried it. A 3 pack of extra rings is about $10 on Amazon.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It absorbs smells when it's hot so it takes heat to get rid of them. If you bake the seal in the oven for a while it will release the smells. I don't remember what I used last time, but I think it was around an hour at 300.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have 3 rings, one for curry and other savoury dished, one for sweet dishes and cake and one for joghurt, I haven't used the latter yet. Conveniently, the extra rings I bought are red and blue so it's easy to tell them apart.

I find that whatever I cooked with the savoury fish ring will impart its aroma onto the ring as the new smell of the day so I just don't bother cleaning it aside from rinsing to make sure nothing sticks to it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Committing some light thread necromancy to say that I made the cheesecake effika listed here:

effika posted:

Nobody had any favorite cheesecake recipes, but I do now!

Instant Pot New York Cheesecake #17 by Amy & Jackie

I used a food processor to mix everything, and made enough crust to come up the sides some. I also used their boiling water trick to get the Instant Pot up to pressure quickly.

It tastes delicious and has a lovely creamy texture. It's not dried-out supermarket cheesecake dense, but it is dense enough to still be a hefty dessert. Made a quick berry compote to go with it; will probably do chocolate shavings next time too.

A++ will make again for Christmas.

and it's freaking delicious, yo. Thanks effika!

Used this (albeit with mixed berries) for the topping.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love cheesecake and want to try an IP version but the IP cheesecake pans shot up in price during the pandemic and I'm too stubborn to pay the inflated prices.

In other news I made mixed bone broth and used that to make bean soup and my family said it was the best bean soup they've ever tasted. Probably cost less than $5 for the pot of soup, maybe $7 or 8 if I'm being honest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I made some pork ribs in my IP.

It took a lot longer than I thought because I don’t think they got quite done the first round so I did them again and they care out pretty drat good with little mess.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Made some chicken stock using the leftovers from a grocery store rotisserie chicken. Pressure cooking for 40 minutes left it tasting like it had been simmering for hours, the flavor was amazing. I wish I knew someone sick so I could give them this life-sustaining liquid.

It was so good that I kept stealing spoonfuls, and eventually, instead of putting it all in the fridge like I was planning to, I immediately used some to make egg drop soup.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Making homemade chicken stock is probably one of the most mind blowing things about an IP. It is so far and away better than anything you can buy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It was so good that I kept stealing spoonfuls, and eventually, instead of putting it all in the fridge like I was planning to, I immediately used some to make egg drop soup.

Nothing quite like a mug of fresh stock off the top.

My favorite thing to do is make faux pho. Chicken stock simmered with star anise and lemongrass over fresh spinach and leftover spaghetti noodles. Top with chilli garlic, soy sauce, and oyster sauce

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I was able to get the smell out of my sealing ring by leaving it in the sun for a while, so baking it does seem like it might work. I did also just give up and buy separate rings for non-savory recipes though. My curry-scented cheesecake (same recipe linked earlier in this page) was interesting but ultimately a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My sealing ring always has a strong scent, but I've never had it transmit any smell or flavor into anything I've cooked.

Even relatively mild things like chicken stock or potato soup haven't picked up a hint of gochujang, red wine, or cider vinegar (the three most prevalent smells, depending on what I've been cooking lately).

I've never done a dessert in the IP; maybe I should pick up a spare ring before I end up with vinegar-flavored pudding.