Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah looks like the top hat/ladies hat and corset/vest are specifically gendered. Ruffle shirt, robe, crowns, and robes are not, I think. Neither is the eltex stuff.

Rimworld: It's about ethics in the haberdashery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird cos, like, people do care about gendered clothing, under the vast majority of concepts of gender theory. But not everyone cares about it the same way. And the game stepping in as an arbitrator of how all characters feel about it seems... iffy. On the other hand accurately simulating it would be a nightmare given how clothing works in the game, way outside the scope.

And it does make sense with the theme of the empire being about following rigid social rules that literally nobody else gives a drat about and which are transparently stupid to the player who is concerned with actual survival (in the vein of a more detailed expansion of that idea) I could honestly read it as a critique of the concept regardless of how it's intended (if it's even intended at all beyond the idea of it just being an extra bit of fiddliness to keep nobles happy).

I guess as with everything I'd suggest modding it to be different if you'd rather, it's not anyone's game but yours.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 7, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It is still bonkers to me that I'm hosting the monarch of the entire empire and their guards and.... at least one of the guards REFUSES to be happy eating literally anything but lavish meals. I understand the emperor being a giant snoot, but you? dude you're a guard chill vegemush is delicious

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The guard probably has a high title too.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Had a visit from a Praetor. Was expecting another power armored fash and then this guy shows up in a Jim Sterling hat and a pocket full of smokeleaf joints.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i use a mod called 'no gendered apparel' that removes the dumb mood penalties. its 10000 years in the future, gently caress off with that poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:toot:

92 hours. hot drat.

- Cassandra Classic on Colony Builder
- Lots of save/reloading
- The biggest challenge with guarding king emperor was honestly building his bedroom and throneroom. His guards were incredibly effective and my base defenses were mostly up to snuff. I did have to use "call for royal aid" a few times but no one came even close to dying.
- I started building the starship before going ehhh and deciding to focus on the royal exit because grinding up Sonia to be a Count was a pain

Game good, I had a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to playing another run!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thank you for that gendered clothing mod and the meditation one suggested earlier, everybody. Now I can build with my anima tree instead of around it and everybody can look fly as hell.

Pockets of these build up periodically on my map and we only survive by virtue of multiple redundant walls with the doors forbidden from use.

The nearby pockets at the time weren't big enough to attack these guys but two amazing strokes of luck. First of all they didn't bring enough materials/guys or skill to construct the mortars. Second a quest popped up where somebody wanted to provoke a pack of 11 manhunting mooses into my territory. After half their number were wiped out the pirates tried a traditional attack. :allears: Got all their materials, 12 shells and 5 moose corpses without scaria.

Edit: ^ Congrats!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 8, 2020

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
I'm trying to find a mod that lets you prioritize materials when crafting, like it lets you tell the bill to use the best heat insulator or sharp damage or whatever. I know it exists but I cannot find it.

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010

boneration posted:

I'm trying to find a mod that lets you prioritize materials when crafting, like it lets you tell the bill to use the best heat insulator or sharp damage or whatever. I know it exists but I cannot find it.

Best Mix?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1994990836

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Looks like that's the one, cheers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tour of Snake Head/Black Venom Post

West road. A show of stability and power on the rim world. I didn't have a use in mind for extra bones after installing the mod that yields them from every butchered corpse so I made a pair of large skull thrones to warn raider fools. Also the emergency corn storehouse next to the redundant corn field. If you're not concerned with wealth rocketing up then I believe heavily in redundant systems.

Experimenting with more plantlife mods so got a mango tree grove. Takes FOREVER but hey, you gotta pay the toll to brag about your luxuries! This map was generous with geothermal vents and this was the game that I learned that power systems can't really be overloaded, especially with the fuse mod. A little wealth saving trick here: if a meteor of a rare/valuable mineral hits, don't mine it until you need it. It's just scenery!

Kinda messy here, I threw up the burn house when I had 200+ bug corpses to get rid of. The stone shop is exactly what it looks like. It took me 2-3 in-game years to finish the road paving! And every time I try to God Mode massive building projects it feels so hollow! The fence around the rice crop was taken down, these were extra fields I threw up for idle hands and to avoid future food scares, but I was just exercising poor layouts and wildlife management. Honored dead rest here, one colonist lost defeating an early infestation and two loyal dogs that died of old age.

Map is covered in evidence that everything was done the hard way! I build some wooden pieces far out to bait bug spawns, I learned that from my first base when I made an off-site stone blocks production hub and it got attacked every single infestation.

My first crack at trying to manage a herd of something. Easier than I thought, animals are pretty robotic as long as food need is met. The water management suite on the left is a top tier system that supplies the entire base and I didn't try integrating the boilers/radiators system for heat yet.

Back of the snake head, the coast is on this side. Wealth flaunt with the pool, mortar battery set up, transport pods, furniture storage and shell storage.

I added more redundant power north of the pool in case an enemy attack ever worked over all the extended geothermal stations.

Main warehouse and tailor workshops! I like long term crops like cocoa and devilstrand, you set it once and eventually cash in. LWM storage mod keeps everything binned and I try to incorporate pallets to more ostentatiously display my rare materials. Harder to do with steel that is used up constantly!

Workshops! And a second hospital, to cut down going all the way to the south part of the map. I wanted to get away from my first base habits of pure rectangles so I like the massive open shop layout here. My embrasures are busted because my mod list was different when I loaded the save up for screen shots, but there's a 5 tile wide section there to add colonist fire from any choice of weapons to the kill chamber. The giant eye is jade encased in silver! Sure, you can only see it from above, but imagination is good enough for the Snake Goddess!

Fangs of death. Flame throwers were in the teeth until the first raid they were tested, they could be shot at from odd angles. Now anyone raiding the Snake Head must enter the jaws of the beast and they don't like what they find. The fangs are silver tipped and have to be repaired after every raid but this is the might of a rim world fortress!

Unused space! The jaw looks good for the base design but I didn't think of anything to stock here yet. I ended up making the simple medicine and weapon cabinets for extra supplies and combat drugs.

Unbelievably Impressive rec room, despite being totally open ended. I like keeping shelves stocked with commodities near recreation areas, moods are high and movement loops are efficient. Also looks very cozy for a hell world in space.

Primary export is booze! Setting up the hydroponics bankrupted my steel reserves twice but the raw control over growing seasons has saved me from starvation at least twice, and insured the hops always flow.

The kitchen! 30 colonists plus animals need a lot of attention. Luckily these are temperate plains so I grab 3-5 colonists with low Outdoor meter every 2-3 days and depopulate the outdoors. You can see very clear evidence that I didn't know what to do with bones at first, now they're my premier arts crafting material.

The denizens of the Snake's Head are well rewarded for their loyalty. Nice rooms, modern amenities.

We do what the Boss says and we prosper. She gets the nicest room and our vault is the furthest, most difficult to reach point in the entire base. Thank goodness there aren't sea invaders or threats. I've meant to set up redundant sentry batteries on the back side of the base for drop pod attacks but i'm very lazy and foolhardyit hasn't come up yet.

Back docks, incorporating the original wind generators with a set of new ones for more redundant and core power. If you don't need the space and can keep components high, why fix what isn't broken? Also a small firing range and some fishing docks. Fishing is a nice mod, a good food option, super time consuming and easy for colonists to get stuck finishing the task as their meters and mood crash. (Edit: Actually I uninstalled the target dummy mod too, oops. That's the blank space near the wind generators.)

Guest chambers. If you give us money, you get the deluxe barracks. If you're poor, you'll be safe and warm and cozy next to our original geothermal generator, Old Steamy.

The scale of the finished head was bigger than I could wrap my head around for a graceful continuation of the body. So the snake curves a bit towards the south before becoming the original base I started with. More colonist living quarters here, and I made a separate block or two for temperature purposes. Nagas have higher heat tolerance and less cold tolerance than other races!

Cocoa grove and a redundant beer warehouse, after a quad that had almost no traders the entire year and my shelves started to get backed up.

The latest colonist blocks, right on the docks! As you can see with this and the last two I started making little break room zones to cut down on hygiene/eating travel time and to make things more homey and pleasing to look at.

The original research center and hospital. You can't reinstall most of these and it comfortably marks the southern borders of my land, the farm land is immensely useful(natural rich soil!) so we kept it up.

Redundant devilstrand storehouse, archery range(edit: with mod installed, oops.) There's also a small hay warehouse that doesn't get used because animals eat faster than hay grows. This was the original base grounds so a lot of the mismatched tiles are down.

The southern road. Original raider resting place and rotten animal clean up zone. Build walls, order no roof, let the rim sort out the remains. So long as we don't accidentally see them! I like the quarry and pumpkin patch set up a lot more than the rice fencing I tried in the north, it looks more like something travelers could take in before being intimidated by the snake jaws. Quarry is also a good mod with a well balanced work/time to results ratio.

Snake Head! I love it, still have the save, feel it reached its potential. Now I want a 3-5 headed hydra base. Smaller lizard heads with open jaws, redundant weapon platforms/covered fighting areas for my colonists, more luxury, a realized body! The biggest surprise problem with Snake Heads's design is the "Trapped Underground" malus, so Hydra Head will feature outdoor paths and more design in it like outdoor rec area, etc.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 8, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snake Head is hella cool.

Now it's time for a new game, and I'm done with vanilla. Vanilla is BORING. I want madness thrown in!

- living in an Alpha Biome that's red goo and red trees everywhere with mutated animals everywhere
- using the rim of madness megapack (trimmed so the redundant and broken stuff isn't installed) complete with Lovecraft storyteller activated
- dragons are installed so I'm playing as a group of tribespeople who stole a dragon egg and ran away
- giddyup is finally tossed in, plus a billion different random animal mods
- more mechanoids!
- real ruins + go explore
- plus a bunch of other random mods. vanilla is OUT, random wacky mods are IN. we are living on rimworld as it's meant to be played: a weirdly/broken balanced frontier planet where nothing is safe, civilized, or sane.

Lovecraft Adventure Story, I'll save/reload whatever I want, and I'm not letting myself join the empire this time. Fascism is out, surviving on my own is in. Or at least until everyone dies and I try a different setup instead.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks. Having just done a tribal start myself I recommend Tech Advancing. Tribal start has a permanent research debuff, I like to bump it when it makes sense. I dunno if the automatic advancement works so I edit it manually. We discovered electricity? We're industrial. Fabrication and/or Space ship parts? Spacer. It just seemed silly to have the ability to develop modern electrical power and be told I'm researching medieval tech slowly.

That red zone is a lot creepier than I thought it sounded based on the map terrain summary! Eyeball trees! Good luck with the adventure. I am planning to defy the empire soon myself at Hydra Head. And to wall off the main base first section and start building it, might have to fight spiders on the beach.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

We found the horrible Lovecraft tree and it surprisingly fits in really nicely with the landscape.

Thanks for the mod by the way! Looking forward to researching at realistic levels, so to speak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be the odd one out in that I usually end up starting tribal and then modding the research rate down further.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

One more modding tweak before I go to bed: GouRIMet is out, Rimcuisine is in. I want more variety, and GouRIMet kinda...didn't do that? It added some foods but they're so OP that it was like, why bother with lavish or fine meals when I could do vegemush forever. Hopefully I'll like rimcuisine better!

e: Gotta stop playing and go to bed....but man, I love how the atmosphere in this playthrough is so different and heavy. One member of the tribe chanted to a dark, whispering tree and wrote an occult text he can't read. A lone women attacked us, and was stabbed to near-death - they tried to take her captive, but she died as soon as she was set inside. So one butchered her for her skin, as we don't have enough cloth to make nice bedrolls. Outside the floating goo-sprayers go mad and attack us. A black cat joins, ominously. Nothing is right here, and the dragon egg is still warm.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 8, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimcuisine is good design wise but it chugs the game a bit unfortunately.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Omnicarus posted:

If the lead developer's game design book(http://51.255.68.3:8011/143.95.72.211/error404/designing_games.pdf) is any indication of working with him, it's a mixture of colossal ego and something else that I don't know what it is. Just read the "Emotion and Video games" chapter and you'll see that come out full bore.

Someone said earlier that one of the devs is into cultivation novels (novels where the main character gets superpowers by meditating) and that's why the meditation poo poo was added to the game. That definitely sounds like a genre that someone who thinks they know everything already would be into

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Someone said earlier that one of the devs is into cultivation novels (novels where the main character gets superpowers by meditating) and that's why the meditation poo poo was added to the game. That definitely sounds like a genre that someone who thinks they know everything already would be into

God, the sequence of getting Royalty, then reading nyaa's LP of Amazing Cultivation Simulator (Rimworld fused with said genre) and getting into cultivation novels (I'm now reading four of them) really makes me want to kneejerk defend this genre and protest this statement. ... But when I think about it most cultivation novels are not worth defending so okay. Lots of power fantasies and bad writing.

Anyways, I think meditating to gain psychic powers works and is cool. It's a nice straightforward system that I enjoy.

... though I need to do something about the anima tree death moodlet because it's real annoying

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hopefully I'll like rimcuisine better!

After using Vegetable Garden Mod for a time, I switched to Rimcuisine and haven't gone back. I did vanilla again for a bit, felt... empty.

Things I like about Rimcuisine:
- Pre-refrigeration game stage is more possible to hang around in. Dried fruit and dried meat take some time and effort to make, but turning them back into actually good meals felt good to me as someone who enjoys using various dried things in cooking recipes.
- Plant variety does actually have some variety while not overpowering vanilla completely. Corn still one of the best for work to output ratio, but taking a little more work and a little less output with something like barley means you can get slightly more pleasant food. For some reason, seeing my colonists have +5 from the thick pottage (equivalent of fine meal) with +2 from rare ingredients and +3 from exotic ingredients gives me the warm fuzzies (so +10 overall).
- I like planting fruit trees. :3
- I enjoy the plethora of wild plants for foraging such that for a long time, I send colonists out regularly to forage the wild groves of fruit trees or small groups of wheat, berry bushes, etc. And when finding a truffle... woo!

Things I don't like about Rimcuisine:
- I'd like just a smidgeon of granularity in order to minimize the use of certain ingredients, namely wild forged truffles. C'mon chef, light hand!
- I'd like it if it could distinguish indoor greenhouse vs. outside vs. hydroponics, so I could grow things in the greenhouse that doesn't like hydroponics but can't survive in the local environment (per the mod's plant distribution).
- Hardtack needs a mood malus, otherwise it's a much easier pemmican replacement. Kinda neat for feeding the animals.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I interrupted someone studying the rim of madness spooky because we were starving and they needed to get their rear end back out in the field and keep planting. Nobody has started it again. Is there a way to force it or do I need to dev mode in the grimoire?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

Things I don't like about Rimcuisine:
- I'd like just a smidgeon of granularity in order to minimize the use of certain ingredients, namely wild forged truffles. C'mon chef, light hand!
- I'd like it if it could distinguish indoor greenhouse vs. outside vs. hydroponics, so I could grow things in the greenhouse that doesn't like hydroponics but can't survive in the local environment (per the mod's plant distribution).

I haven't tried it, but Best Mix may help there. For the latter, try the All Plants All Biomes addon for the mod.

bird food bathtub posted:

I interrupted someone studying the rim of madness spooky because we were starving and they needed to get their rear end back out in the field and keep planting. Nobody has started it again. Is there a way to force it or do I need to dev mode in the grimoire?

The grimoire will be available for trade from an orbital trader/dropped in drop pods/etc assuming that nobody goes mad again. There'll be more at some point, just keep your eyes open.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unless it's been changed you can just select a dude and right click the tree. I haven't played that mod in a while though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Does escaping on the imperial shuttle let you take pets with you? I know in the vanilla game it’s a bit of a gamey process to load the beloved colony dog into the escape ship but it’s important, damnit. :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Does escaping on the imperial shuttle let you take pets with you? I know in the vanilla game it’s a bit of a gamey process to load the beloved colony dog into the escape ship but it’s important, damnit. :colbert:

No. I just pretended that we shoved the entire muffalo herd in with the primarch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gently caress the empire

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
All Cataphracts Are Bastards

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Personally, I've always liked investing in hippy/new age things giving you unique gameplay powers; and if you disagree, I can introduce you to my Alpha Centauri mind worms. :colbert:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The split between the militant royals controlling the flow of psylinks nanobots and planet natives meditating to a badass psychic tree is pretty good. Especially given how wild rim world wildlife can get. I bought a berserk psylink but need a rank five psychic for it. I hope there's a psylink for manhunter pulses in wildlife, especially with the spider packs I got in feralisk jungle biome.

I think I will go deep cover, get my base leader to rank five, then accept a hosting quest for a noble. Ceremonial execution before learning SoS to fly a ship over to their city and raze it. :twisted:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly I mostly do pro-imperial runs just because I like to have more excuses to build elaborate rooms :v:

God drat I never realized just how powerful the solar roofs in roofs extended were :staredog: It's steel expensive but with just my living quarters roofed, I have 16 controllers all pumping out 2500 units of juice while the sun's out. I finally got my nuclear plant running but honestly with enough batteries I barely need it.

Right now I'm thinking of building a big-rear end greenhouse, isolating it from the nuclear grid, and solar roofing the entire thing. Itll make throttling the nuclear reactor less annoying since I wont have to deal with the massive power loss during the day :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Alpha Biomes tip: if you decide to live in an Ocular Forest (the red zone with eyeball plants and such), DO NOT START AS TRIBAL. That or bring along the set-up-camp mod because there is NO wood on the map. You get red wood, which is an inferior substitute because the Alpha Biomes modder didn't make it compatible with: campfires, torches, lots of wooden items/furniture/etc. So my dudes are starving to death because they cannot cook. We can make red wood walls and structures, but woooof.

To this end I got a mod that lets you plant bamboo trees in a hydroponics basin - but they grow slowly. Then I got one that lets you build a campfire on a steam geyser....but you need granite to build that. Guess what this biome doesn't have? That's right, it's all red rock and random metals (steel+components+etc). :doh:

Anyways we've gone on some camping trips to nearby "normal" biomes to get granite and wood and it's been a weird, interesting restriction.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've reintroduced a bunch of mods I culled and I'm still seeing a huge frame boost, at this point it's really just the Jecrell stuff I dont have active so I think I figured out the culprit :whitewater:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Plasma swords are not ideal for capturing future recruits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

deafness only matters for animal taming and social work and you were probably gonna end up replacing that eye anyway :hai:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
God drat that Snake Head post is just Rimworld ambrosia, thanks for it.

I took a Rimworld break to level a ton of guys in WoW during the double XP event but I'm done with that and ready to start a new colony. I made a squad based on GI Joe (Flint, Scarlett, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, and Snake Eyes) and am sending them on-world with their relevant Joe weapons, Roadblock with HMG, Snake Eyes with Heavy SMG/Sword, Scarlett with crossbow, etc.

I'd like to play some kind of zombie mod or something where base defense is much more constant & important than in vanilla so I can get some Yo Joe stories going, anyone got any suggestions?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

JonathonSpectre posted:

I took a Rimworld break to level a ton of guys in WoW during the double XP event but I'm done with that and ready to start a new colony. I made a squad based on GI Joe (Flint, Scarlett, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, and Snake Eyes) and am sending them on-world with their relevant Joe weapons, Roadblock with HMG, Snake Eyes with Heavy SMG/Sword, Scarlett with crossbow, etc.

I'd like to play some kind of zombie mod or something where base defense is much more constant & important than in vanilla so I can get some Yo Joe stories going, anyone got any suggestions?

Alpha Biomes, play in Feralisk-Infested Jungle

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

eyyyy what's up fellow mmo fan, I've been breaking my Rimworld binging with playing ffxiv and leveling my dark knight class.

The best zombie mod I know of is Zombieland, but I haven't played it myself - just watched a neat LP of it.

Seconding the alpha biomes (+alpha creatures) advice, some of those biomes are NASTY. Things aren't too dangerous in the Ocular Forest, but I'm resource starved and if one of my hunters kills a goo wrong it gives them acid burns everywhere.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is there any benefit to meditation if you don't have psychic powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there any benefit to meditation if you don't have psychic powers?

Moreover, how do you... start getting the powers? I understand different 'types' of pawns need different things to focus on, but I don't know how they start developing the ability to cast stuff in the first place. My only experience with this has been the empire, which gives you the psyfocus items to use on the pawns in question.