Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just found a place in town that carries turbo dork! Any recommendations from them? How is their coverage for gold/metals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I finally started painting this guy! I'm naming him Schecter Gretch of the Severed Strings. I thought an Emperor's Children Slam Lord would only be appropriate using a guitar as a Thunder Hammer.

I still have to finish the black, his eyes, as well as some other areas, shading and highlights, but I thought I'd share my progress so far.

I plan on making the white shoulderpad pearlescent, but I still need to add another thing layer of white. I might change his base as well. I wanted to attempt painting yellow as it's something I've never done before, then I thought it might be better as an Iron Hand.

Oh! Here's some progress on the smoke bases I bought earlier as well. I might do something similar for the Slam Lord as well.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X post from the Hams for Hunger thread

The Sisko posted:

I did a thing

Here are some better pictures:

This is the first mini in a long time I'm genuinely proud of how it came out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's a nice one. What mini is that?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's a nice one. What mini is that?

Its a mini from The Godsworn Hunt warband in Warhammer Underworld. I was drawn to them because they're all very Conan the Barbarian-esque (there's also a doggo that I'm looking forward to painting).

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

His name is Ollo! I also painted him with a darker skin tone. The dog creature's name is grawl. One of my favourite Underworlds set to paint.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I tried that all drybrush stippling technique, need to do the detail work now, but still, it's really quick and pretty effective

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
My friend recently got into painting minis, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a decent set of orc minis

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I finally started painting this guy! I'm naming him Schecter Gretch of the Severed Strings. I thought an Emperor's Children Slam Lord would only be appropriate using a guitar as a Thunder Hammer.

I still have to finish the black, his eyes, as well as some other areas, shading and highlights, but I thought I'd share my progress so far.

I plan on making the white shoulderpad pearlescent, but I still need to add another thing layer of white. I might change his base as well. I wanted to attempt painting yellow as it's something I've never done before, then I thought it might be better as an Iron Hand.

Oh! Here's some progress on the smoke bases I bought earlier as well. I might do something similar for the Slam Lord as well.

OMG I love it. The leopard print is really well done. I hope you go over a few of the areas with a coat or two as the pink and the bone need like a coat or two

You should totally name one of these guys some pun off "David Lee Roth"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, I'm once again getting sent out on deployment. As in my previous deployments, I'm bringing minis and paints. However, I've just found out that my deployment is likely to be longer than anticipated. Given that, I'm going to make an order for something to get sent out to me there. And that's where I'd like your help.

I need a nice little project. Something that's a bit different from the space marines and orks I've been painting. To make it more interesting, I'm going to let the Minis thread figure out what it is I'll be painting.

Here are the requirements:

1) It needs to involve multiple models or one nice big model.

2) No vehicles. I won't have my airbrush or rattlecan primer while I'm out there, so it has to be something I can do with a paintbrush.

3) It's got to cost less than $100. Trying to keep some cash in reserve.

Once I have some replies, I'll make a poll.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Death from creature caster. Current bucket list model

https://creaturecaster.com/us/product/death-elemental/

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
As many grots as you can get you hands on for 100 usd

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

JackMann posted:

So, I'm once again getting sent out on deployment. As in my previous deployments, I'm bringing minis and paints. However, I've just found out that my deployment is likely to be longer than anticipated. Given that, I'm going to make an order for something to get sent out to me there. And that's where I'd like your help.

I need a nice little project. Something that's a bit different from the space marines and orks I've been painting. To make it more interesting, I'm going to let the Minis thread figure out what it is I'll be painting.

2) No vehicles. I won't have my airbrush or rattlecan primer while I'm out there, so it has to be something I can do with a paintbrush.

Maybe Tzaangors and a Tzaangor shaman? I just got a box and they seem to be great models in the sense that you could get a good result with some basic color blocking or really push yourself with the details and the vibrant skin tone. And while they have the primitive weaponry, the lines are cleaner than orks while being organic enough to set them apart from the space marines.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JackMann posted:

Maybe a few warcry warbands? They're all pretty different from each other and you can get 2 or 3 (with discounts) for under 100 bucks.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Spanish Manlove posted:

OMG I love it. The leopard print is really well done. I hope you go over a few of the areas with a coat or two as the pink and the bone need like a coat or two

You should totally name one of these guys some pun off "David Lee Roth"

Thank you! Yeah, that's my second coat of pink, and the first of the bone. I'm trying to teach myself control of water ratio, and manipulation of the paint when it's so thin. I feel like I still have so much to learn.

I like this idea. I have a keytar-bolter marine I'm naming Roland Korg! :haw: I want to have all my noise marines named after 80's, one word, hair metal bands anyways, maybe I'll just pun-ify the frontman names for the champions.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Maybe a few warcry warbands? They're all pretty different from each other and you can get 2 or 3 (with discounts) for under 100 bucks.

You could get five Underworlds squads for this money, and they’re all hella different. There’s one with three Eternals, Eyes of the Nine, Ghosties, Dwarves etc.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I want to have all my noise marines named after 80's, one word, hair metal bands anyways, maybe I'll just pun-ify the frontman names for the champions.

So what you're saying is that you're making a Mötley Crüe of 80s-themed noise marines? :)

You have to work a Marshall cabinet or wall of amps in there somehow.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 7, 2020

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Pakxos posted:

Maybe Tzaangors and a Tzaangor shaman? I just got a box and they seem to be great models in the sense that you could get a good result with some basic color blocking or really push yourself with the details and the vibrant skin tone. And while they have the primitive weaponry, the lines are cleaner than orks while being organic enough to set them apart from the space marines.

I was going to say the start collecting thousand sons. It has 21 models, which is more than most of them. Paint 10 rubrics, palette cleanse all that trim with 10 tzaangors, then finish with Ahriman.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's still weird to me how much the Start Collecting boxes vary in both value and importance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

So wish you saying is that you're making a Mötley Crüe of 80s-themed noise marines?

Boo this man.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I painted up some crons in preperation for the new releases since of course I will get another xenos army.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

R0ckfish posted:

I painted up some crons in preperation for the new releases since of course I will get another xenos army.

What is your technique for your bases. Not so much the painting and colors, but how do you get the uneveness to the dirt? Is it just a texture paint or something?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Werix posted:

What is your technique for your bases. Not so much the painting and colors, but how do you get the uneveness to the dirt? Is it just a texture paint or something?

Yep! It is just vallejo grey sand slopped on with the GW spatula.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The bases are still extremely under construction, but I did some Rippers and wanted to share how adorable 2e was for anyone under 40.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

wanted to share how adorable 2e was for anyone under 40.

*Counts backwards...

Goddamnit.

:mad:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

w00tmonger posted:

Death from creature caster. Current bucket list model

https://creaturecaster.com/us/product/death-elemental/

Unfortunately, it looks like that particular model is out of stock.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Torquemada posted:

You could get five Underworlds squads for this money, and they’re all hella different. There’s one with three Eternals, Eyes of the Nine, Ghosties, Dwarves etc.

Any specific recommendations?

To be clear, part of the idea here is to get me to paint something I wouldn't necessarily have chosen for myself, so it's more "What would you like to see painted up?"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Eyes of the Nine (Tzeench Demons) Sepulchral Guard (ancient skeletons), Thundrik’s Profiteers (steampunk dwarfs), Skaeth’s Wild Hunt (elfy centaurs) and maybe Ironsoul’s Condemnors (a type of Stormcast Eternal). This would give you a ridiculously wide variety of different tones and textures to work on, plus they all snap-fit, so you won’t have to worry about gluing them while you’re deployed.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Eyes of the Nine (Tzeench Demons) Sepulchral Guard (ancient skeletons), Thundrik’s Profiteers (steampunk dwarfs), Skaeth’s Wild Hunt (elfy centaurs) and maybe Ironsoul’s Condemnors (a type of Stormcast Eternal). This would give you a ridiculously wide variety of different tones and textures to work on, plus they all snap-fit, so you won’t have to worry about gluing them while you’re deployed.

I'd suggest Mollog's Mob as well, he is a nice sleepy boy with cute friends (also he is a bigger model than most of the warbands if you want some variety in size)

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

moths posted:

The bases are still extremely under construction, but I did some Rippers and wanted to share how adorable 2e was for anyone under 40.

I love those old 2e 'nids. The carnifex especially is up there on my favorite models list.

Also, 2e is the best version.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

We used to call the Carnifex a screamer-shrubber because the figure's claws would prune any model railroad trees it got too close to.

Thinking about being a kid and those goofy sculpts just makes me smile.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I've still got all of the old 2e codexes and read through them on occasion. GW didn't take the universe very seriously back then.
A friend of mine and I would fight the post-college underemployment blues by retreating to his parents' attic each weekday night after work and playing a game or two of 2e until 10pm. We did this for about a year, most everyday, my guard vs his orks, just doing time until we both finally found better employment. It's safe to say Warhams got me through a really tough period of my life.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a good way to ham.

There's a very strong 2e vibe in the old Mutant Chronicles Warzone stuff, the sculpts and art are extremely 90s but it's a just shy of being in the same league.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

R0ckfish posted:

Yep! It is just vallejo grey sand slopped on with the GW spatula.

I'll probably have to get some of that. I've mostly been covering the bases with PVA glue and dipping them in fine sand and painting them. Works good, but doesn't have the three dimensional look of what you have.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm working on my Hellboy board game minis trying to get everything painted by the end of the year. By then, the Batman the Animated Series kickstarter should start being shipped out and I'll have hundreds more minis to paint.

What with quarantine, I don't actually need them for board game night so I'm just picking out the ones that look fun.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Well this was fun.

:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/PXDvZGP.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/4heEWJR.jpg?1
:nws:

Shame there was so much printer texture.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay, so far we have (including suggestions from Discord):

Tzaangors and Tzaangor Shaman

Cypher Lords and Corvus Cabal from Warcry

Thousand Sons Start Collecting

Some combination of Eyes of the Nine, Sepulchral Guard, Thundrik’s Profiteers, Skaeth’s Wild Hun, Ironsoul’s Condemnors, and Mollog's Mob from Underworlds.

Nellie Core Box from Malifaux

Gifted from Carnivale

Falconers or Ratcatchers from Guildball

The Creature Caster model is currently out of print, and I'm vetoing 60 grots on the basis that I'm trying to take a break from orks and marines. Gonna wait a little longer for any other suggestions, then make a poll.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dienes posted:

printer texture.

Where I'm from we call that "ribbing."

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have finally finished the Dark Imperium box set with these three fellows, just in time for the next box. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

JackMann posted:

Sepulchral Guard

I have to second the Sepulchral Guard if you can get your hands on a box in time for your deployment. Even at MSRB $25 it's seven unique skeletons at $3.57 each. I've got a box arriving tomorrow, that's a pretty good price for minis I know I can display or use for D&D encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Poll up!

You can select multiple options. I plan on getting up to $100 worth of stuff. If the top option is $50, and the next two are $20, then I'll be getting the top three options. If the top option is $95, then I'll just be getting that. Have at it!