Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HookShot posted:

I think it's this, too. I think his heart is in the right place, but he's not good at articulating his points, and responding to the replies really doesn't help.
Yeah, he just strikes me as very earnest. I think he engages fully and with the best of intentions but like he can't help but get wrapped up in the responses and criticisms of all kinds and doesn't really take a step back to figure out the best way to say something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would be totally down with a career shift for the entire dept, someone in another thread suggested they suddenly became firefighters and it would work.

This would own and I want to watch this show now.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would be totally down with a career shift for the entire dept, someone in another thread suggested they suddenly became firefighters and it would work.

Reminds me of when Archer had to drop the whole ISIS thing, and they did a good job of it (albeit it’s not as big a shift, but it was a solid ‘this has to be done, it’ll be fine ‘ move for sure).

Firefighters are just EMTs that sleep together.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

superLINUS posted:

Firefighters are just EMTs that sleep together.

Police/FF rivalry humor gets dark real quick.

How do you determine the edge the hot zone at a HAZMAT spill? Noone gets any closer than the first dead cop.

Also, any excuse to get Patton Oswalt back on the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I think Terry Crews is just kind of really bad at arguing his point and takes the poo poo thrown at him on Twitter too much to heart and responds.

Oh for sure.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I feel like people are so used to the idea of cop shows a fire show - like London's Burning - would be kinda boring as a comedy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommanderApaul posted:

Also, any excuse to get Patton Oswalt back on the show.

His character, Fire Marshal Boone, is named after one of the EPs on the show, Marshall Boone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

I feel like people are so used to the idea of cop shows a fire show - like London's Burning - would be kinda boring as a comedy.

That new one on FX is loving abysmal, that's for sure

On the other hand, Rescue Me was pretty good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Taear posted:

Tacoma FD's pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sad to see Crews go down the all lives matter route but considering other opinions he’s had not shocking

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

Tacoma FD's pretty good.

Uhhhh

Different strokes I guess but it annoyed the hell out of me, like some kind of bizarro, terrible Reno 911

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Uhhhh

Different strokes I guess but it annoyed the hell out of me, like some kind of bizarro, terrible Reno 911

You don't have to say "terrible Reno 911." Just saying "Reno 911" gets the same point across just fine. There's no need for redundancy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Davros1 posted:

Tacoma FD's pretty good.

I wanted to watch this due to the involvement of Broken Lizard and that it's set in my town but uh, all the previews looked unfunny as gently caress. Also it wasn't on a real network of any kind so I don't even know how the gently caress I would watch it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is less than each actor makes per-episode. This is tax-deductible PR.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's such a weird situation for the next season. If they don't address it in the show it will feel tone-deaf, but if they do address it then it comes with a lot of risk given they all play cops.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

2020 for tv is gonna be like 2001 where shows have to decide if they are going to try to avoid the big issue of th year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So much of network tv is cop shows and it's gonna be real weird

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

socialsecurity posted:

2020 for tv is gonna be like 2001 where shows have to decide if they are going to try to avoid the big issue of th year.

McMillions and Quiz were both documentaries/dramatisations of things set in 2001 and both had 9/11 in even though it felt weird and wasn't necessarily related, even though it was.

precision posted:

On the other hand, Rescue Me was pretty good

I thought Rescue Me was a drama? Even though it had Denis in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Rescue Me was more drama than comedy, but it was still pretty funny

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
According to a Terry Crews interview, they've scrapped all the scripts already written for next season and are starting over.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

According to a Terry Crews interview, they've scrapped all the scripts already written for next season and are starting over.

If he isn't exaggerating that sounds like they're gonna be making some big changes next season.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Now with article!

https://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainment/b99-scraps-episodes-black-lives-matter/ posted:

Terry Crews Says Several Eps From ‘Brooklyn 99’ S8 Have Been Scrapped Amid Police Backlash

By Matt Galea

24/06/2020

All cop-related TV shows are under the microscope at the moment amid the Black Lives Matter protests, with shows like Cops being canned and Law & Order: SVU under fire for painting the police force in a positive light.

The writers over at beloved comedy series Brooklyn Nine-Nine are also taking stock of the show and according to actor Terry Crews, they’ve decided to scrap at least four eps of the next season in favour of a different direction.

“We’ve had a lot of somber talks about it and deep conversations and we hope through this we’re going to make something that will be truly groundbreaking this year,” the actor told Access Hollywood.

“We have an opportunity and we plan to use it in the best way possible. Our showrunner Dan Goor — they had four episodes all ready to go and they just threw them in the trash.  We have to start over. Right now we don’t know which direction it’s going to go in.”

“You’ve seen me, in movies or whatever but before all this, I was always a threat. I would be going to the mall or going different places. I’ve had guns pointed at me by police officers in L.A. This was before I was famous. The thing is, they had the wrong guy,” Crews said.

“It’s something that every black man has been through, and it’s hard to really try to get other people to understand. I have to say, right here, what is going on right now is Black America’s Me Too movement. We always knew this was happening, but now white people are understanding.”

Crews did not elaborate on whether these scrapped episodes have been binned altogether or if they’ll be reincorporated back into the series at a later point in Season 8.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1277955144332668930

extremely cool, terry.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Things can sometimes take a life of their own and go in questionable directions. Have you ever noticed that?

"All Lives Matter" should be a cool and good thing to say, but, it's obviously poison at this point in time.

Terry's heart is in the right place and that's what is most important to me since I'm a weirdo who values intent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Things can sometimes take a life of their own and go in questionable directions. Have you ever noticed that?

"All Lives Matter" should be a cool and good thing to say, but, it's obviously poison at this point in time.

Terry's heart is in the right place and that's what is most important to me since I'm a weirdo who values intent.

lol

No one except Terry is saying black supremacy or black lives better. At best he's extremely ignorant.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Except All Lives Matter isn't an organic thing, it originated as a bad faith argument to delegitimize BLM. The argument that people who have been regularly abused/murdered should show restraint lest things get out of hand is literally the same thing. Show me any evidence that there's a movement with BLM saying that black folks should get to hold the switch for a bit.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 30, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As we've all said before I just think its clear Terry Crews' motivations are good but he's a poo poo communicator and poor debater who thinks its his responsibility to counter every rear end in a top hat on Twitter.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Not what I (or Terry) was saying at all. I can't force anyone to understand, I guess.

Just in case people want to misunderstand me some more, Black Lives Matter, Defund/Abolish The Police, and I will fight you if you imply otherwise.

Namaste.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

As we've all said before I just think its clear Terry Crews' motivations are good but he's a poo poo communicator and poor debater who thinks its his responsibility to counter every rear end in a top hat on Twitter.

What is the motivation/intent behind asking people not to turn #blacklivesmatter into #blacklivesbetter?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

How many more times does he have to tweet about black lives better and black supremacy before we admit he's an idiot and just plain wrong on this issue?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

fancy stats posted:

What is the motivation/intent behind asking people not to turn #blacklivesmatter into #blacklivesbetter?

I take him at his word that he sincerely believes that there's some kind of fear of the BLM cause becoming too radicalized and lose sight of its goals or lose allies or something.

I don't think that problem largely exists, although its certainly possible Crews has encountered some assholes on Twitter who might have encouraged this fear. I absolutely agree Crews is wrong and just tilting at windmills. I just don't think there's some deeper thing there. He's a well meaning guy who is half a moron. And like, he's apparently gonna keep doing this and saying dumb rear end stuff in the name of trying to say the right thing.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

So the most generous possible reading has him providing fodder for the shittiest people to point at and suggest that BLM has violent ulterior motives because he's a dumbass.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I'm glad to hear that B99 is going to take current events into account while developing the next season, and they're going so far as to scrap what they had before.

But it makes me wonder... what will become of Chicago PD? That show, since day one, has thrived on rough cops bending and breaking the rules to get the job done. They do exactly the kinds of things that people are up in arms about. It's the show's whole brand, except that they're doing it for the forces of good. This is the same show that, not long after premiering, had to deal with the real-life Homan Square, an actual black site managed by Chicago Police and rife with abuse and civil rights violations.

I don't think they can ignore the current unrest like they did with Homan Square.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tarlibone posted:

I'm glad to hear that B99 is going to take current events into account while developing the next season, and they're going so far as to scrap what they had before.

But it makes me wonder... what will become of Chicago PD? That show, since day one, has thrived on rough cops bending and breaking the rules to get the job done. They do exactly the kinds of things that people are up in arms about. It's the show's whole brand, except that they're doing it for the forces of good. This is the same show that, not long after premiering, had to deal with the real-life Homan Square, an actual black site managed by Chicago Police and rife with abuse and civil rights violations.

I don't think they can ignore the current unrest like they did with Homan Square.

Chicago PD's audience is much more conservative than B99's. They'll probably show the cops being even "tougher," and maybe even have some kind of story arc where the boys in blue have to stomp evil protesters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/melissafumero/status/1296520183092142080?s=20

What's French for "9-9!"

https://twitter.com/JoeLoTruglio/status/1296530628586823680?s=20

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The replies to that tweet are pretty much what you'd expect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Quebec's a lot whiter than NYC but Montreal sure as gently caress isn't, so the cast being so white is pretty disappointing.

Also this is really not a great time to adapt this show.

E: To be clear, adapting tv shows for foreign audiences is cool and I wish more places did it instead of just subtitling the show on Netflix. And Patrick Huard is a perfect choice for this since he's directed and written a bunch of action/crime/comedy stuff before.

But they ain't need to be so white.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 21, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it turn out USPIS were apparently the ones to slap the cuffs on Steve Bannon.

Maybe the whole precinct can join USPIS and team up with Jack Danger again!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Quebec's a lot whiter than NYC but Montreal sure as gently caress isn't, so the cast being so white is pretty disappointing.

E: To be clear, adapting tv shows for foreign audiences is cool and I wish more places did it instead of just subtitling the show on Netflix. And Patrick Huard is a perfect choice for this since he's directed and written a bunch of action/crime/comedy stuff before.

Quebec Terry is so skinny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lurdiak posted:

I know it's set in Quebec City. Was it filmed there?