Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
shadow of war has Bruz who was my tru bro and I am very sad how that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone ever experienced game crashes related to steam cloud saving? I kept getting crashes during Witcher 3 until I disabled cloud saves, and I'm trying to make sure I can play a game on one PC, finish, then import the save file in steam on a different PC for the sequel.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas posted:

confession: i've never played a streets of rage

Additional confession: I've never played RCR or any of the modern remakes/reimaginings/etc

I'm not really sure why, seems like something of that general ilk would be a lot of fun right now. I banged up my knee today - kneecap look like a goddamn melon, it's kind of rad :v: - so the recliner is the place to be for a while, with a controller, not a keyboard.

So... what game should I start with? I'm biased toward newer games if that makes a difference!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My suggestion is free! Streets of Rage 4 is also on Game Pass

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I highly recommend Streets of Rage 4! Just so you know what you're getting into:

It's built to be similar to Streets of Rage 2. This means: no universal dash/run, it's a slower, more deliberate beat em up pace. The emphasis is on crowd control and enemy management instead of dashing in to take out enemies and dashing back out, which I feel Streets of Rage 3 and Remake do. There's nothing wrong with those styles! But if you know you like one more than the other that might make the difference.

There other key difference between 4 and its predecessors is the existence of green life; basically refillable health when you damage enemies. You get green life by using your specials, whereas in previous games you just lost the life immediately. This encourages a high risk high reward factor where you can just stack up green life and it's okay because you can gain it all back if you don't get hit.

Haven't played RCR so not sure what its strengths are but seems like it's generally well liked too! The other game that might pique your interest is Fight N'Rage, which is a lot more combo heavy and dash heavy. And of course, there's like a million classics if you want to go the old games route.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you enjoyed Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark like me, you'll be happy to hear they just announced the expansion is releasing on June 23 for $13. The store page is also live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYe85S__H1k

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

cage-free egghead posted:

If you guys haven't, check out Gunfire Reborn. It's only $12, too!

Trigger warning: Early Access, Roguelike

It's a mix of games like Borderlands, Dead Cells, Risk of Rain all wrapped up into a nice and tight FPS game with lots of engrish!

Seriously though, it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of numbers make go up all over the place. 4 player coop too!

I picked that up last night and have been playing coop constantly with a friend. It's great. Like somehow I blinked and 6 hours had past.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm going to do some basic research, I barely even know what makes RCR distinct besides `BARF !!` and a vague sense that it's got a lot of RPG stuff - and maybe is nonlinear? Where Streets of Rage I guess is more Final Fight, kinda? That's the last game of the general archetype I can remember playing right now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ciaphas posted:

Additional confession: I've never played RCR or any of the modern remakes/reimaginings/etc

I'm not really sure why, seems like something of that general ilk would be a lot of fun right now. I banged up my knee today - kneecap look like a goddamn melon, it's kind of rad :v: - so the recliner is the place to be for a while, with a controller, not a keyboard.

So... what game should I start with? I'm biased toward newer games if that makes a difference!

As much as I like River City Girls, Streets of Rage 4 is on Gamepass and if you don't have Gamepass you can get it for $1 for a single month.

If you refuse to use Gamepass for some reason, than get River City Girls. Ideally you should get both.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm going to do some basic research, I barely even know what makes RCR distinct besides `BARF !!` and a vague sense that it's got a lot of RPG stuff - and maybe is nonlinear? Where Streets of Rage I guess is more Final Fight, kinda? That's the last game of the general archetype I can remember playing right now.

Streets of Rage is a linear arcade stage designed game. If you played any beat-em-up ever at the arcade, it plays like that.

River City is really an adventure game as you explore a city and backtrack through it to different branches Metroidvania style.

They're both excellent games. I just am shocked that SoR4 is often seen as the superior game of the two.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 8, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Artelier posted:

I highly recommend Streets of Rage 4! Just so you know what you're getting into:

It's built to be similar to Streets of Rage 2. This means: no universal dash/run, it's a slower, more deliberate beat em up pace. The emphasis is on crowd control and enemy management instead of dashing in to take out enemies and dashing back out, which I feel Streets of Rage 3 and Remake do. There's nothing wrong with those styles! But if you know you like one more than the other that might make the difference.

There other key difference between 4 and its predecessors is the existence of green life; basically refillable health when you damage enemies. You get green life by using your specials, whereas in previous games you just lost the life immediately. This encourages a high risk high reward factor where you can just stack up green life and it's okay because you can gain it all back if you don't get hit.

Haven't played RCR so not sure what its strengths are but seems like it's generally well liked too! The other game that might pique your interest is Fight N'Rage, which is a lot more combo heavy and dash heavy. And of course, there's like a million classics if you want to go the old games route.

Fight’N Rage is a very solid, unsung example of good modern beat ‘em up. It just feels good to play, and the introduction of parries and techs makes it feel more modern than the sometimes clunky or unfair feeling arcade classics. Great music, too, and a veritable ton of branching stage paths. It is a little too horny though, someone needs to throw some cold water on those pixel artists.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Sleeping Dogs has similar hand-to-hand combat, but instead of bat-gadgets you get really over-the-top environment kills Wei Shen has never killed a man in his life
Wei Shen absolutely kills people.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah unlike Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs does not pretend that the combat is non-lethal.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zereth posted:

Wei Shen absolutely kills people.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah unlike Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs does not pretend that the combat is non-lethal.

Blatant lies. Wei Shen will pay you a visit tonight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I like what I'm seeing as far as personal interest first in RCG, then SoR4, then SoRR in roughly that order. Suppose that's as good a reason as any to actually use that megalixir of a Gamepass deal instead of sitting on it for the "Right" time

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sleeping Dogs catchphrase is “Wei Shen has never killed a-Jesus Christ, Wei!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know it was latter cosmetic DLC but I always laugh when I think about this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjQh7Dt1q0

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ciaphas posted:

I think I like what I'm seeing as far as personal interest first in RCG, then SoR4, then SoRR in roughly that order. Suppose that's as good a reason as any to actually use that megalixir of a Gamepass deal instead of sitting on it for the "Right" time

Sounds good.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Fight’N Rage is a very solid, unsung example of good modern beat ‘em up. It just feels good to play, and the introduction of parries and techs makes it feel more modern than the sometimes clunky or unfair feeling arcade classics. Great music, too, and a veritable ton of branching stage paths. It is a little too horny though, someone needs to throw some cold water on those pixel artists.

A bit further from the genre is Aces Wild. It's basically a modern Astro Boy on GBA.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kibayasu posted:

Sleeping Dogs catchphrase is “Wei Shen has never killed a-Jesus Christ, Wei!”

The guy tripped and fell directly on the swordfish.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sebmojo posted:

try restarting steam if you're using it, I was getting that message for a game last night and it changed when I restarted.

SirSamVimes posted:

Have you tried verifying the file integrity?

Thanks for the suggestions but neither helped get MO:Astray working. The crash report mentions my graphics card in a memory dump, and the crypt.dll in a log, which presumably is part of the unpack and DRM process when you run the game for the first time. I'll see if Google has any ideas, or maybe a full reboot. I'll update my Nvidia drivers, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
The bad guys all have great medical insurance in Sleeping Dogs.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Do I understand it correctly that the games from the bundle don't become part of your itch.io account? I can only download them from the bundle link?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lordfrikk posted:

Do I understand it correctly that the games from the bundle don't become part of your itch.io account? I can only download them from the bundle link?

No, they don't go onto your account library until you do, to prevent clogging it up. Something like that.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

lordfrikk posted:

Through the Itch.io launcher, I can add games to my library just by visiting their store page. You don't have to commit to a download. I'm not sure if the website can do the same thing.

vvv Yeah.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Once you visit the "download this game" page, they show up on your itch.io account.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Blatant lies. Wei Shen will pay you a visit tonight.
Good. Can't wait to die. :colbert:

Jerusalem posted:

I know it was latter cosmetic DLC but I always laugh when I think about this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjQh7Dt1q0
I had Wei in a big cowboy hat that said "SHERIFF" on it at that point.

lordfrikk posted:

No, they get added to your account proper when you click on the "download" button. You don't need to actually download anything form that page, either.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a lot easier to not kill people when you're the one writing the incident report.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Gromit posted:

Thanks for the suggestions but neither helped get MO:Astray working. The crash report mentions my graphics card in a memory dump, and the crypt.dll in a log, which presumably is part of the unpack and DRM process when you run the game for the first time. I'll see if Google has any ideas, or maybe a full reboot. I'll update my Nvidia drivers, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Do you use any custom Nvidia control panel options? Sharpening in particular is very prone to making certain games crash on launch. Anisotropic Filter can do it too but that's extremely rare.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

The guy tripped and fell directly on the swordfish.

The guy I jammed face-first into the opening of a lit furnace is only napping.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Det_no posted:

Do you use any custom Nvidia control panel options? Sharpening in particular is very prone to making certain games crash on launch. Anisotropic Filter can do it too but that's extremely rare.

I have G-Sync monitors so I have V-sync turned on in the control panel, but that's it.

If anyone has the game installed, do you have just 2 items in your Steam install directory? I have MOAstray.exe and a MOAstray_Data folder (with loads of stuff in it). Is that how it is supposed to look?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wei Shen is far too busy snapping a man's leg in half to check whether the guy who had his face eaten by an AC unit is okay.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you bought the itch.io bundle and you like games like gunstar heroes/alien soldier, play xenogunner

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

Wei Shen is far too busy snapping a man's leg in half to check whether the guy who had his face eaten by an AC unit is okay.
And this is when he's not just shooting people in the head with a gun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zereth posted:

And this is when he's not just shooting people in the head with a gun.

Did they ever "fix" the thing where you could arrest hopping vampires then lock them in the trunk of your car and drive it off a cliff? :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I swear the guy was some sort of acrobat who did a really high backflip and managed to get himself stuck on the meat hook. There were three of them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wei Shen is a proof that Good Cops do exist.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

if you bought the itch.io bundle and you like games like gunstar heroes/alien soldier, play xenogunner

Which page of the bundle is it on :kiddo:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Wei Shen is a proof that Good Cops do exist.

AWSAB

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Which page of the bundle is it on :kiddo:
for me it was at the top of page 23

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey I just started playing dragons dogma. It’s fun! I want to play a caster so I picked mage. What kind of magic should I pick up while starting?

Everything I look at just gives me guides on what to do later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

teacup posted:

Hey I just started playing dragons dogma. It’s fun! I want to play a caster so I picked mage. What kind of magic should I pick up while starting?

Everything I look at just gives me guides on what to do later on

Just pick whatever you like. Trying min-max a new game is simply going to suck all the fun out of it, and Dragon's Dogma is pretty flexible in how you approach it.