Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jippa posted:

It's definitely american. I remember when I first got on the internet I really noticed it (around 9/11 and the freedom fries bollocks).

Nah, the nancyboy French stereotype has deep roots in British culture and Americans only have it cause they carried it over from us in the first place. This is a country that's had multiple wars with France spanning most of a millenium, of course we've created an image of them as weak and cowardly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Crazy to me that the French have this global reputation of being effete fancymen when in fact many of them are quite hard indeed. Both are acceptable modes of being of course and not necessarily mutually exclusive, just an interesting disparity which I suppose must be either Brit or Yank propaganda

It's partly the unfortunate historical distinction between the vichy regime and the resistance during the Nazi occupation, and it's partly just standard-form fash enemy definition - the enemy is simultaneously too weak to be efefctive and strong enough that you have to be a hero to oppose them.

It's been part of english-speaking western culture forever (jokes about french tanks having 1 forward gear and lots of reverse gears, that old google 'i'm feeling lucky' result that redirected 'french military vicotries' to a fake page about french military defeats, etc).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kingturnip posted:

It's weird that some people still think that peaceful protest is even remotely worth while in a modern democracy.
Like, just staying home and wanking is more productive than pretty much any mass peaceful protest of the last 30 years.

I'm reminded of a bit at the end of The Patriot. On the morning of their probably disasterous last battle the one french officer comes out of his tent in full dress uniform, tassels and all, and declares "If we are all going to die, then at least I shall die well dressed!"

And it's like....is this supposed to be making fun of him? Because this is badass.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The "they didn't know better" argument is total arse water. Yes, we know that that society, at that time, decided that Colston was worthy of commemoration. But we aren't that society or in that time any more, so the statue belongs in the loving river. We're back to the same tiresome nationalist argument that "things that have happened" are sacrosanct and deserve special magic protection beyond the preservation of knowledge.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Red Oktober posted:

That’s some straight up Streets of Rage poo poo right there.
from the thread, some background
https://twitter.com/max_lisbon/status/1269917099834642432
he cleared half the bridge, and the GO! -> sign suddenly lit up on the other half, so he comes hurtling over the barriers

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/status/1269677091500494857

I wouldn't have trafficked hundreds of thousands for profit, leading to the direct deaths of at least 19,000, but I didn't know any better at the time.
https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/status/1269712051695423490
very reassuring to see an MP arguing that there's two distinct cultures in the UK, and that one of them - the one in the (((metropolitan))) areas - is Alien and Wrong

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

It's definitely american. I remember when I first got on the internet I really noticed it (around 9/11 and the freedom fries bollocks).

The idea of the French being effete, pleasure-obsessed gadabouts is *way* older than that, and probably dates back to the Norman Conquest if not earlier. The fact these girly-men pretty consistently kicked the poo poo out of the stout yeomen of England for the better part of a millennium (to the point our national legends include the very few times we got a W on them, from Crecy to Waterloo) is conveniently ignored for the most part.

Of course the modern legend mostly comes from the capitulation against Germany, which completely ignores the material reasons why they relied so heavily on the Maginot Line and had no possible plan B once that failed, that the BEF also got wiped out in that campaign (again, an abject defeat and retreat is somehow turned into a win in our national legend) and also that a lot of French people continually fought the Germans throughout the occupation and at far higher stakes than the British faced.

Acting against that is one of the best lines from one of the very best episodes of The Simpsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUKEVU-TwM

(which is from 1995, but for some reason gets caught up in Coalition Of The Willing bollocks from 2002/3)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Apraxin posted:

very reassuring to see an MP arguing that there's two distinct cultures in the UK, and that one of them - the one in the (((metropolitan))) areas - is Alien and Wrong

Working class towns are apparently not metropolitan areas according to this shitwit.

I'm sure Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Glasgow, loving LONDON, Oxford, Southampton, Portsmouth............ etc etc etc would have something to say abotu that.

What a fascist shitwagon.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Apraxin posted:

love mp's just mask off tweeting nazi poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The idea of the French being effete, pleasure-obsessed gadabouts is *way* older than that, and probably dates back to the Norman Conquest if not earlier. The fact these girly-men pretty consistently kicked the poo poo out of the stout yeomen of England for the better part of a millennium (to the point our national legends include the very few times we got a W on them, from Crecy to Waterloo) is conveniently ignored for the most part.

Of course the modern legend mostly comes from the capitulation against Germany, which completely ignores the material reasons why they relied so heavily on the Maginot Line and had no possible plan B once that failed, that the BEF also got wiped out in that campaign (again, an abject defeat and retreat is somehow turned into a win in our national legend) and also that a lot of French people continually fought the Germans throughout the occupation and at far higher stakes than the British faced.

Acting against that is one of the best lines from one of the very best episodes of The Simpsons:

(which is from 1995, but for some reason gets caught up in Coalition Of The Willing bollocks from 2002/3)

Bringing the Normans into it is extra fun because you're also seeing the anti-Viking sentiment that often boiled down to "those tall strong handsome well-groomed bastards with their regular bathing and exciting lifestyles keep coming over here and "abducting" our young women from their tedious life of turnips, smelly husbands and boring religion. This must be stopped!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nah. Archaeologists regularly bitch that it's impossible to tell what era agricultural equipment comes from unless there's an associated find of trove, because once we started using iron tools around 500BC nothing changed in Britain for 2000 years apart from the face on the coins and the language spoken by the cunts in charge. It's probably where our national passivity towards government shittiness comes from; it's always been the same, it always will be the same, you just wait it out.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol

https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1269980189460750336?s=21

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
In a way it's great to see all the gammons, thumbs and other Union Jack-in-Username-ers feeling let down that, contrary to what they thought they voted for, Daddy Boris hasn't turned water cannons and Army Reservists on all the urban/young/diverse/lefty/LGBTQ people or delivered some smackdown speech about how racism doesn't exist in Are Grate Nation but if it did the real victims would be white men because they make all the tough decisions and all that poo poo...but equally I'm kinda worried about what they'll do if they feel that Boris Democracy Has Failed. Obviously the majority will stick to being dickheads on twitter but it only takes a few to flip out and do real harm.

Just to be clear, this isn't a "protesting racism makes people racist so we shouldn't do it" thing. Just my initial :sickos: being tempered somewhat.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I've skipped a bunch of posts and stuff sorry, can someone post the making masks person as the ones I ordered from ELLE seem to have gone astray

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

That's a great video, but I'm so broken by all these years of Internet pretty much my first thought was "That needs Guile Theme".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Bristol building formerly known as Colston Hall is taking down all its signage while they finalise the new name :unsmith:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Statues of old racists are exactly the type of thing that I imagine the gammon thought (inasmuch as they thought at all) would be protected when We Got Back Are Sovrunty, so it's extremely funny to see the Tories respond to the dunking with nothing but ineffectual table-thumping about JUSTICE on Twitter. They're looking incredibly weak right now *prepares for Tory approval to surge*

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

biglads posted:

That's a great video, but I'm so broken by all these years of Internet pretty much my first thought was "That needs Guile Theme".

I believe the music is Geese Howard's theme

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The thing about Dunkirk that gets my goat is that if not for the French rearguard and defence of the town, the BEF + FF + FB force of 340,000 would not have got out. I think they lost 40,000 men, killed or captured. This gets glossed over to much imo.

The French were just as good as us, but they were taken as badly as everybody else by the combined arms approach of the german forces as everybody else.

I think I once read (it was an interview with a German general of the time) that if the allied forces had invaded Germany while their army was in Poland, the war would have ended there, but we had cautious leadership.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
perhaps everyone knows this after the events of yesterday but i didn't and it's worth repeating.

i always assumed these statues were contemporaneous or near enough, but they were actually mostly put up in the period shortly before WW1 during the first wave of end of empire panic, to inspire a new generation to go out and conquer. Robert Clive died in 1774 but his statue in Whitehall wasn't erected until 1912. It's almost almost perfectly analogous to the daughters of the confederacy putting up cheap statues of confederate generals everywhere in the south during the civil rights protests in the 1960s.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

the correct approach would also leave the memorial permanently marked

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Borrovan posted:

:hmmyes:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That Churchill statue is so useful. Got a protest you want to give a bad name to? Just get a couple of boys in civvies down there with a spraypaint can and you've got angry headlines for days.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Rarity posted:

The Bristol building formerly known as Colston Hall is taking down all its signage while they finalise the new name :unsmith:

The building formerly known as colston hall, now known simply as

Borrovan posted:

The correct approach wouldn't leave it permanently marked, because it wouldn't leave it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

George Floyd Hall or gtfo

e: I would also accept 410,757,864,530 DEAD COPS Hall

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ACAB Hall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Paul Stephenson Hall.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

That Churchill statue is so useful. Got a protest you want to give a bad name to? Just get a couple of boys in civvies down there with a spraypaint can and you've got angry headlines for days.

Like the cenotaph from that perspective.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1270011232439934980?s=20

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That HAS to be a pisstake, surely.

There is no :magical: large enough otherwise.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

During the cut on the pouring sugar my face morphed into this exact emote

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
no, stop, dont
https://twitter.com/IHateNYT/status/1269553090228826114

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ha I posted that here a while back. So bad.

e- the tea.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That HAS to be a pisstake, surely.

The USA is a wild place when it comes to making drinks with boiling water, because at least in part electric kettles over there suck rear end because of the lower voltage electrical supply.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh god the horror :gonk:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1270011494080659456

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Thank you for your concerns, 33%, we will forward them to *checks notes* the loving sea

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sloth Life posted:

I've skipped a bunch of posts and stuff sorry, can someone post the making masks person as the ones I ordered from ELLE seem to have gone astray

If you live near a Home Bargains, they're selling 3 reusable white ones for £1.99 or single black neoprene ones (also washable) for the same price. I'm finding the latter very comfortable to wear.
(They're also doing full face shields for £1.99 now after I spent nearly £8 ea on ordering some online a couple of weeks ago!)
Pretty sure you'll find the same in somewhere like Wilco or BM Stores (same kind of places - cheap food, plastic boxes stuff).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

33%.

It always staggers me that loving 30% of adults in this godforsaken hellhole are racist shitweasels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ARE HERITAGE