Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what kind of hosed up PI doesn't let the main grad student on the project be first author? how else will he ever graduate

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what kind of hosed up PI doesn't let the main grad student on the project be first author? how else will he ever graduate

you're.... you're being facetious right?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
academics is like the mob, credit kicks up to the top and never [graduating | getting tenure | moving on from being a postdoc] shits downhill

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it comes down to tenure policies and/or how machiavellian the professor in question is.

some places are really lovely about granting tenure, and the only thing that matters is your authorial position on the work and the impact factor of the journal. first author on some Nature or Science papers? great, you're in. third author in some field-specific publications or, god forbid, conference presentations? hahaahaha no get the gently caress out. so in those places to save their own hides the professors will insist that they get first author credit on anything they can, which means pushing around the grad students. "you did the work in my lab so i'm automatically the first author" regardless of contribution.

other places are much more realistic about how academic research works, and will weight a grad student's paper that you supervised the same as if you were the first author. this is great because you can let the student put their name first, which helps their career tremendously and is more reflective of reality anyway, knowing that your tenure committee won't just throw it away. it's much healthier and less stressful. a disadvantage of doing this is that, if you want to apply to a different university later and they subscribe to the lovely model, you might be a little screwed over unless you can convince the committee to look more deeply. so some professors still insist on being first author on everything anyway because they're relentless ladder-climbers.

i was lucky enough to go to a grad school like the second example, so i had four first-authored papers when i graduated, and then got a TT position at a university that has a similar policy so i can pass it on.

e: once you're a tenured professor at a cushy institution like stanford, though, there's no excuse for continuing to assign yourself first author other than ego.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 27, 2020

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
are you suggesting that the tenured faculty at "elite" institutions are anything but the epitome of humility?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
some very exciting research: https://distill.pub/2020/circuits/zoom-in/

turns out it's not too hard to figure out how artificial neural networks work if you're willing to put the time in

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that’s certainly a good formalization of things

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

animist posted:

if you're willing to put the time in

found the problem. if neural nets don't give me results easily and with no thought on my part, what's the point??

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

animist posted:

some very exciting research: https://distill.pub/2020/circuits/zoom-in/

turns out it's not too hard to figure out how artificial neural networks work if you're willing to put the time in

are they comparing this to development of the microscope and the study of the atom sincerely?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

quote:

Focusing on the study of circuits, is universality really necessary? Unlike the first two claims, it wouldn’t be completely fatal to circuits research if this claim turned out to be false. But it does greatly inform what kind of research makes sense. We introduced circuits as a kind of “cellular biology of deep learning.” But imagine a world where every species had cells with a completely different set of organelles and proteins. Would it still make sense to study cells in general, or would we limit ourselves to the narrow study of a few kinds of particularly important species of cells?

yeaaah, this sounds way too optimistic

medical sciences can’t even vaccinate our pets, let alone all the nice animals in the food markets of Wuhan that give us sars outbreaks every couple of years...

even organ donation between two people is often problematic and totally impossible, for example, between a whale and your mother, despite the superficial physical similarity

Max Facetime fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 2, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

was not expecting that post to end in a dunk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Strife212/status/1255789106522656773

https://twitter.com/Indoorsness/status/1256177588705169408

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Vomik posted:

are they comparing this to development of the microscope and the study of the atom sincerely?

theyre overenthusiastic "disruption" dweebs but the work is still interesting imo

Max Facetime posted:

yeaaah, this sounds way too optimistic

medical sciences can’t even vaccinate our pets, let alone all the nice animals in the food markets of Wuhan that give us sars outbreaks every couple of years...

even organ donation between two people is often problematic and totally impossible, for example, between a whale and your mother, despite the superficial physical similarity

yeah i doubt this is going to have practical implications for a while. it helps satisfy my burning urge to understand what the gently caress neural nets are doing though

then again, maybe it's reading tea leaves and will turn out to be a dead end. who knows??

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
gradient descent means literally into hell.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
and stochastic gradient descent sometimes takes you to a place thats even worse

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
realized today that in the future there will be two kinds of talking machines - the ones that talk like wikipedia and the ones that talk like reddit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

suffix posted:

realized today that in the future there will be two kinds of talking machines - the ones that talk like wikipedia and the ones that talk like reddit

the latter will be used for customer service, so that any woman who calls the cable company gets told she's ugly and gonna get raped

machine learning solutions bringing reddit-grade discourse to the world of commerce

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryxcommar/status/1259289338854154240

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefabulate the amulite to reduce the chance of sinusoidal depleneration.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember when I did that last one by accident in college at my student job and got in trouble because we had to claw back and reprint a bunch of reports

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
If you rly think about it, life is just one big regression line.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
most religion is just an argument about the direction the line is going

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what could you do with a lot of real
estate data

animist
Aug 28, 2018
make a very solid argument for Maoism probably

e: real talk depends what you're looking for. throwing some scikit-learn clustering/regression or xgboost at it prolly wouldn't hurt. T-SNE can be good for visualizing how your data is clustered too, interactive visualizations will give you the best sense of how it works

animist fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 5, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe I should learn about what those things are

gf works for news website. shes being given loads of real estate data, but what she needs to do is direct what to do with it. the crux is, what can be gained from analysing it?

is this a problem of imagination, ie, we just need to think more about the potentials

or a problem where the solution is throw the kinds of thing you're talking about at it, and make the data tell us what's relevant within it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

when you're given a bunch of data, you wanna ask yourself "what's interesting about this setting"

do the data span an interesting time period? are there policy variations over time or between jurisdictions or observations, what do you know about the variation, what kind of data do you have, and so on

you can't just throw a dataset into an algorithm and have it come back with "hey actually here are the interesting facts and patterns", knowing what to look for is still a human skill

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Exploratory data analysis is a thing, but it has to be guided by a question or at least a good sense of what value can come out of looking at the data.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Pinterest Mom posted:

when you're given a bunch of data, you wanna ask yourself "what's interesting about this setting"

do the data span an interesting time period? are there policy variations over time or between jurisdictions or observations, what do you know about the variation, what kind of data do you have, and so on

you can't just throw a dataset into an algorithm and have it come back with "hey actually here are the interesting facts and patterns", knowing what to look for is still a human skill

also tbh if you're trying to understand data I'd reach for visualizations wayyy before ML because ML will just spit black boxes back at you. that's because I like to understand things tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that t-sne looks interesting but I fell asleep looking at a YouTube of what it is

Pinterest Mom posted:

hmm well this seems very reasonable. thanks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

also tbh if you're trying to understand data I'd reach for visualizations wayyy before ML because ML will just spit black boxes back at you. that's because I like to understand things tho

actually I think you’ll find ml has a lot of trouble with black boxes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

animist posted:

sounds like you don't have the right mindset for doing ml

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
purpose of machine learning is to avoid understanding

animist
Aug 28, 2018

redleader posted:

sounds like you don't have the right mindset for doing ml

few more months for my degree and then im never touching a fuckign gradient again

echinopsis posted:

that t-sne looks interesting but I fell asleep looking at a YouTube of what it is

it tries to reduce the number of dimensions in the data while keeping the distances between all pairs of points the same. this is impossible but you can do a decent approximation with a bit of calculus and elbow grease.

(fun fact, pretty much all of ml boils down to "dimensionality reduction with a bit of calculus and elbow grease")

animist
Aug 28, 2018
come to think of it tho tsne needs data encoded as a pairwise distances so a lotta your raw real estate data (names, other text) prolly won't fit into it without some extra wrangling. you'd need to define some sorta distance metric...

idk I don't work much with textual data sorry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
neither lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
obviously just shove it into tf-idf vectors :rolleye:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hamming distance.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
what does the number of processing steps required to turn pigs into food have to do with this

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
geeze, i know cops are bad but i thought we were doing the rich first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchon
Feb 19, 2015
code:
[06/05 19:02:12] d2.engine.train_loop INFO: Starting training from iteration 0
[06/05 19:02:28] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 19  total_loss: 4050.742  time: 0.3694 lr: 0.000000
[06/05 19:02:36] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 39  total_loss: 4000.453  time: 0.3621 lr: 0.000000
[06/05 19:02:43] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 59  total_loss: 3826.672  time: 0.3620 lr: 0.000001
[06/05 19:02:50] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 79  total_loss: 4228.532  time: 0.3624 lr: 0.000001
[06/05 22:13:10] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 30899  total_loss: 3902.033  time: 0.3628 lr: 0.000010
[06/05 22:13:17] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 30919  total_loss: 3867.677  time: 0.3628 lr: 0.000010
[06/05 22:13:24] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 30939  total_loss: 3930.970  time: 0.3628 lr: 0.000010
[06/05 22:13:31] d2.utils.events INFO:  iter: 30959  total_loss: 3713.955  time: 0.3628 lr: 0.000010
well gently caress