Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Update on luggage!

Courier has it. Promises delivery by Friday!

Handwashing underwear now.

Most hotels have washing machines, you can ask the front counter.

Edit: not sure if you were kidding, but I remember finding that out and realizing that it makes sense, but I had never thought to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I know but they didn’t pick up my bag and quite frankly I’d rather wash my own undies than pay two euros. That’s highway robbery!

Further update, luggage will be in tomorrow morning pinky swear. I could really use my chargers I’m running out of batteries.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. My rotator flight is delayed for 24 hours, and they’re putting us up in hotels for the night.

And we’re not allowed to pull our luggage, so we get to see who actually has a 72 hour bag prepped.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 3, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1268307224012763136?s=20

:chiefsay: All Sailors get stateroom level accommodations!?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

It's a reservist group that does shipyard work. Looks like they are getting mobilized.

Where'd you hear this?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

They'll probably similar to the type if 4 or 5 person stateroom you see on freedom LCS'.

Ive got a ton of people attached to surgemain and I haven't heard anything.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Where'd you hear this?

The smoke pad.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

:hmmyes: That is where I hear all the good news. Did you hear the port call got cancelled?!

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

:hmmyes: That is where I hear all the good news. Did you hear the port call got cancelled?!

No, but I heard the CO is pulling monsters from the vending machines to prevent heat stress injuries. Better get them while you can.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

No, but I heard the CO is pulling monsters from the vending machines to prevent heat stress injuries. Better get them while you can.

I don't recall any of the ships I was on having monsters in the vending machines, we had to go and wait in line at the ship's store :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Surgemain groups get called up yearly. It’s no big deal.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Not having your own stateroom, head and leather recliner in your contract is for suckers. 10 more days of this poo poo and I can safely quarantine at home with the 6 cases of wine and rum I got before I left.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
They're mobilizing everybody up in here.

No really a lot of the surgemain units are going on active duty this summer en masse.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yeah, it just became official. Like 1500 people. First wave in a few weeks, second wave a few after. "expect until the end of next FY" for some of them. WHEEEEEE.

I'm SurgeMain, btw; we've known for weeks now, but it was supposed to be hush hush.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yeah, it just became official. Like 1500 people. First wave in a few weeks, second wave a few after. "expect until the end of next FY" for some of them. WHEEEEEE.

I'm SurgeMain, btw; we've known for weeks now, but it was supposed to be hush hush.

What's going on that needs it?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

What's going on that needs it?

A bailar la rona. Turns out a good percentage of bubbas are old dudes.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 6, 2020

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A bailar la rona. Turns out a good percentage of bubbas are old dudes.

Pretty much. The Shipyards are also very densely packed and transmission was exceptionally high in the early days. PSNS was apparently quite hard hit. There's also (I guess) a bunch of ships that were delayed rotation and are going to all be docking for avails and then turning right back around, so let's see if this "We have an entire Reserve Program that is one of the largest USNR budget items that purports to be able to Surge to do Maintenance" works.

What a time to be alive.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1269075089078784001?s=20

Don't know why every service doesn't ban the traitor flag and rename bases

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pretty much. The Shipyards are also very densely packed and transmission was exceptionally high in the early days. PSNS was apparently quite hard hit. There's also (I guess) a bunch of ships that were delayed rotation and are going to all be docking for avails and then turning right back around, so let's see if this "We have an entire Reserve Program that is one of the largest USNR budget items that purports to be able to Surge to do Maintenance" works.

What a time to be alive.

Yeah my GS boss caught it early on somehow and he’s a loving hermit with no friends.

I’d have people over for BBQ but I’m kinda stuck elsewhere right now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1269075089078784001?s=20

Don't know why every service doesn't ban the traitor flag and rename bases

I'm pretty sure more former USMC Commandants have come out in support of BLM/the protests than any other branch. If only more installations were controlled by the Corps instead of having them dispersed between Navy and Army.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:pedophiles:

Love me some confederate tears

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Love me some confederate tears

Just a reminder that the Confederates were so bad at Navying that they left a crew of slaves aboard a ship, including the ship's pilot, alone aboard and were stunned when they stole the ship and joined the Union.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wish they made that a movie. Dude was baller.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AlternateNu posted:

I'm pretty sure more former USMC Commandants have come out in support of BLM/the protests than any other branch. If only more installations were controlled by the Corps instead of having them dispersed between Navy and Army.

There’d certainly be less hands in pockets and flip flops in the PX. That’s for sure.

Edit- also

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 6, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think we need more installations controlled by "haircuts won Iwo Jima so get in there, pandemic or not" Marines.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fair enough.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't think we need more installations controlled by "haircuts won Iwo Jima so get in there, pandemic or not" Marines.

Marines may have control over our uniforms, but they'll never touch my hair. :argh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hekk posted:

There’d certainly be less hands in pockets and flip flops in the PX. That’s for sure.

Edit- also

Chappie was a badass. That's the first time I've seen that quote, drat.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Godholio posted:

Chappie was a badass. That's the first time I've seen that quote, drat.

drat, didn't know a black man made it to 4 stars in the 70's. That's impressive.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just a reminder that the Confederates were so bad at Navying that they left a crew of slaves aboard a ship, including the ship's pilot, alone aboard and were stunned when they stole the ship and joined the Union.

They built a naval base in loving Charlotte NC

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Superintendents house at usna is still named after the confederate captain of the former USS Merrimack who sailed it out of Hampton roads and sank two US Navy ships. Buchanan would have been in command for the famous duel against the USS Monitor had he not been exposed on deck shooting at American sailors with a carbine when he got shot in the leg by a marine.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Local retired ringknocker accidentally goes Facebook live as he and his wife reveal surprisingly extreme racial viewpoints!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/navy-captain-racial-slurs-facebook/index.html

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Replace the academies with research institutions. Make Midshipmen spend a year as an undesignated seaman on a big grey thing. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

piL posted:

Replace the academies with research institutions. Make Midshipmen spend a year as an undesignated seaman on a big grey thing. :colbert:

I don't think it would be the worst idea to go back to having Midshipmen do a year onboard a ship post-graduation before they get their commission.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think it would be the worst idea to go back to having Midshipmen do a year onboard a ship post-graduation before they get their commission.

Do it KP style where they do it before they actually learn anything nautical in school

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AlternateNu posted:

Merchant marines the world over: :eng99:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I'm hearing we're taking back/re-opening Subic? I mean, I'm all for more lumpia frito and lechon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nQsSdv1WI

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Uhh didn't Duerte can the Visiting Forces Agreement which was kinda key for the US visiting the Philippines?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

Uhh didn't Duerte can the Visiting Forces Agreement which was kinda key for the US visiting the Philippines?

Well, wouldn't be the first time something on Youtube was complete dogshit.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/06/02/visiting-forces-agreement-with-us-stays-for-now-dfa/

The revokation of the VFA was suspended for six months.

piL fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

How long ago was that because I used to visit the Philippines once a year or so, on an amphib out of Sasebo as late as 2018.