Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ShaneB posted:

This is NOT to be read as support of WOTC in any fashion, but this is not an isolated practice by WOTC. This is a symptom of the deeply systemic issues in the USA (and other countries, of course) that become visible in hiring and HR practices, workplace social environments, and so on.

The lack of self-reflection all of these companies demonstrate is to be expected. We're progressive, we're progressive, they continue to insist as they slowly shrink and transform into a tiny black square.

Yeah that was my take on it. Sounds like the typical sort of institutional racism you find in any corporate environment, combined with the overwhelming whiteness of the PNW and gaming culture. Extremely lovely but not surprising. They'll do the usual performative woke stuff to cover their asses but not much else.

The lack of Black artists though... that surprised me. Seems like there's a hashtag promoting Black artists and artists of color with phenomenal talent every week on Twitter, so you'd have to be deliberately trying not to recruit some. Same for Black writers on the fiction side.

I wonder what the official response will be if that post gets enough traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually just MULCHING planeswalkers is what every 5 drop from here on out should do. They are simply too big a share of the meta game precisely because dealing with them is harder. More design space in telling planeswalkers to get fragged.

Anyways, anybody see this?
https://twitter.com/zbeg/status/1269962379925708801?s=21

WotC getting DRAAAAAAAGGED. Relevant to all of our “which pros are scumbags” conversation because it turns out the whole enchilada is perhaps, also, a bag of scum.

jesus, that's loving terrible

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I HOPE EVERYONE'S READY FOR THE
/
FOUR

CARD
/
STANDARD COMBO

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I HOPE EVERYONE'S READY FOR THE
/
FOUR

CARD
/
STANDARD COMBO

I'm literally listening to the FF7R One Winged Angel as you posted this, I'm ready, bring on the 4 horsemen of the Gobocalypse

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tainen fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 8, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I think they are 1 loyalty counter off on this one.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

I think they are 1 loyalty counter off on this one.

Or it seems like it would've been fine to do both effects :shrug:

instant
additional cost sac a creature, draw two cards

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Link is dead. What was this supposed to be?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Drewjitsu posted:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Drewjitsu posted:

I see it?

1BB
sorcery

Choose one: all creatures get -2/-2 until EOT OR remove 2 loyalty counters from each PW

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tainen posted:

I feel like its going to be rare to go against deck with a lot of targets of the -2 and that also run planeswalkers. I don't think you side this in against planeswalkers specifically with it only hitting 2 loyalty.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I really want a creature with that dragon's ability, just so I can do a stupid OTK with the Sultai Ultimatum. Grab the Dragon, Titanoth Rex, Spark Double. If they nerf the dragon so that it doesn't trigger its own ability, that's still 23 damage to the face

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tainen posted:

instant

Another pretty great sac outlet for Claim the Firstborn decks.

Just lol if you play creatures

edit: Oh poo poo it's instant as well for the "protection" of your own creatures from exile effects as well.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 8, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tainen posted:

instant

Strictly better Altar's Reap.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Tainen posted:

instant

This seems extremely good at a 1 mana instant

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BizarroAzrael posted:

Strictly better Altar's Reap.

ancient tomb, chalice on 1, go
:colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Unfortunate card name.

Good card.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm not shocked but this is still super disappointing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bushwaggler

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Some Numbers posted:

Unfortunate card name.

Could you explain?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

I feel like its going to be rare to go against deck with a lot of targets of the -2 and that also run planeswalkers. I don't think you side this in against planeswalkers specifically with it only hitting 2 loyalty.

it seems more like a general answer card that's not completely dead if you go up against a creatureless deck rather than aimed to be slotted in against specific decks

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's a Bo1 card.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

In the alternate timeline where Teferi, Time Raveler and Wilderness Reclamation were banned instead of Fires and Agent, this is getting me hyped for my Gruul Fires deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

Could you explain?

people are determined to go nuts whenever anything is remotely tangentially corona related

see: people getting mad about Gloom Pangolin

(I don't have problems with Void Beckoner's Godzilla name getting changed, that's a bit too on the nose)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyways, anybody see this?
https://twitter.com/zbeg/status/1269962379925708801?s=21

WotC getting DRAAAAAAAGGED. Relevant to all of our “which pros are scumbags” conversation because it turns out the whole enchilada is perhaps, also, a bag of scum.

Yeah I've met some people from Seattle who aren't hatefully racist, but it's obvious that they've never interacted with people of different races because their opinions seem completely driven by mainstream media representation. So I wouldn't be surprised if WOTC managers are unconsciously prejudiced in how they hire.

https://www.seattlemag.com/article/reflection-racism-seattle

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

(I don't have problems with Void Beckoner's Godzilla name getting changed, that's a bit too on the nose)

Honestly it's just another example of how we're a dumb loving species and the compulsive need to draw patterns and associations sometimes works against us to me, personally

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

people are determined to go nuts whenever anything is remotely tangentially corona related

"Pestilent Haze" is corona related now?

And most I saw was some snickering/side-eye of how Bushmeat Poacher and Gloom Pangolin were an odd parallel to reality.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

mad no, thinking it was funny when paired with "death corona" yes

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Huxley posted:

It's a Bo1 card.

I wonder if they're going to have to start making sets bigger. If they feel like they have to include cards for every format, doesn't that leave less room for cards that are designed to be good in Standard? And if they make fewer of those, doesn't that lead to the meta decks getting more uniform because they have fewer good cards to pick from? This wasn't a problem not too long ago, they never really purposefully made cards for modern, legacy or vintage in Standard sets on purpose. But now they're making cards for Brawl, Commander, Historic, Pioneer, Bo1 Standard AND standard?

The funny part is that if they make 1 card that gets played in too many formats, people complain that its warping every format, so they can't have 1 card be the Standard/Bo1 Standard, Historic, and Pioneer green mythic rare plant for example.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 8, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'd completely missed that they did a 7/11 card in the Indian block. And this kicker, woof.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Winota suspended in Historic.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A "one last thing before you go" worthy of Columbo.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I like that they waited a few days for people to craft her, and then suspended her so nobody gets wildcards back.

How is Winota different from dredge/reanimator strategies in other formats anyway? They're good when nobody packs hate for them, but completely unplayable versus any amount of hate cards, they just fold instantly.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 8, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see Winota's numbers in Historic. They must have been truly bananas in the past week.

And they want to move quick since there's ... a Historic PT in a month or something like that? If you know it's going to have to go, don't flirt with people over it as quickly as possible.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

A Moose posted:

I like that they waited a few days for people to craft her, and then suspended her so nobody gets wildcards back.

How is Winota different from dredge/reanimator strategies in other formats anyway? They're good when nobody packs hate for them, but completely unplayable versus any amount of hate cards, they just fold instantly.
Yeah - Historic Naya Winota isn't really anything that I'd consider suspension worthy. It's decent, but it's very easy to derail the main plan with basic interaction.

On the other hand, maybe the suspension will result in more variety.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

instant
exile creature or planeswalker, its controller creates a 4/4 angel with flying

interesting removal. Can use it on your own creature/walkers

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tainen posted:

instant
exile creature or planeswalker, its controller creates a 4/4 angel with flying

interesting removal. Can use it on your own creature/walkers

Wow, very versatile and cool. Surprise pseudo haste 4/4 and more protection from targeted removal. Can imagine casting this on my own creature to prevent it from being Claimed or prevent the life gain from Oath of Kaya.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Moose posted:

What are the hate cards for Winota?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
finally some ramp!