Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Oh no, a decent above-average apartment kitchen!

Except you can't open the oven more than a few inches without bumping into the notched counter and you can't open the cabinet on the right without bumping into the microwave handle.

also that beam above the sink is only like 6', tall people need not apply for this place.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol HOA $278 per month

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look it's a lovely overpriced condo

But that kitchen, in and if itself, is still better than what the average apartment dweller gets

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Look it's a lovely overpriced condo

But that kitchen, in and if itself, is still better than what the average apartment dweller gets

Most apartment dwellers are able to use their oven though. Far as I can tell in that kitchen you literally can't get the door open far enough to put a pan in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I cant say for sure from those images, but realty pictures are usually shot with insane distortion to widen the shot which can actually narrow the shot in the middle, where the stove gap is.

Obviously if the oven is unusable then that is very, very stupid and also sucks bigtime

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Get rid of the overhead cabinet to the right of the stove, and and that weird narrow counter section and it's pretty ok.

The MC Escher bathroom ceiling is more fun:

Ceiling rules, too bad the rest of the bathroom is so terrible :barf:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Guy Axlerod posted:

Get rid of the overhead cabinet to the right of the stove, and and that weird narrow counter section and it's pretty ok.

The MC Escher bathroom ceiling is more fun:

oh poo poo the meshes didn't load properly better restart

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Xzibit meme but it's about soffits

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The first two blue lines are the same length in real life. The third one is probably wider due to the fridge.

The gap in front of the oven just looks small due to the fisheye lens effect, the cabinetry is the only way to judge the distances and it's not super helpful.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BraveUlysses posted:

Xzibit meme but it's about soffits

all the roofers gave me the same quote, and that quote was "lol"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Even if it opens properly that's a lovely arrangement, because you're going to have to stand to the side to put anything in or out, which is less than ideal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here I set Lightroom to automatically correct for distortion and this is what it vomited out.

Which isn't super helpful but does show just how extreme the distortion effects are with super wide angle fisheye lenses typically used for interior real estate photography.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Okay so it looks like there'd be enough room in that corner for the dishwasher, so why would you put the oven in the corner instead? You know, the appliance you need to carefully remove hot things from, preferably without awkward leaning?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're using the microwave/hood combo above it, but that really should be moveable too. And as-arranged, there's a weird like four or six inch gap to the right of the oven that is literally just open empty space.

It's a poorly designed kitchen, for sure. Just, not like quite at the level that we usually ascribe "crappy construction" ? Maybe?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's extreme crappiness in the design phase, rather than in the execution phase as we usually see.

Edit: I would also bet money that whoever lives in that basement gets to hear everything that happens on the floor above

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Here I set Lightroom to automatically correct for distortion and this is what it vomited out.

Which isn't super helpful but does show just how extreme the distortion effects are with super wide angle fisheye lenses typically used for interior real estate photography.

This is just laying bare the distortion the lens did. The only thing truly accurately represented in that image is the line between the two drawers. Everything else is stretched, giving it the effect of an open book where the walls stretch away from each other.

I used to do Real Estate Photography and you get very comfortable with flexing the truth (and the images) if you want to do any business at all. High-end real estate photography involves dozens of lights, hundreds of shots, and at least a week of editing and compositing, but even the low end is getting real editing and equipment intensive.

In this vein, I tell everyone I know who goes house shopping to regard the pictures and especially the dimensions they seem to depict with a giant grain of salt.

E: Looking again at the photo, it's super poor quality. Shooting from an inch further into the room or a half-inch lower would have moved the fire suppression nozzle out of frame, and there should be a puck light in that weird cubby above the cabinets, which would make the picture look a hell of a lot sharper because that's where Lightroom found the reference black that it autocorrected the room to, and eliminating it would have made the appliances look darker (which Realtors perceive as newer/better). But this isn't the Crappy Real Estate Photography thread.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 9, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The lens isn’t causing objectionable distortion. It’s just perspective. Nearby objects are larger than distant objects. The camera is closer to the cabinets over the fridge than it is to the cabinets in the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
i'm the "chair and shelf with overhead pipe" room.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I found a less distorted photo from its old rental listing

I have the same trashcan (from the local valet trash collection company that does a bunch of apartments in the city). I checked with my own oven and a space the width of the trashcan allows for the door to open only at a ~45 degree angle, rendering the bottom rack inaccessible. :ms:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is this the thread where that wack brickwork was being posted, or was that the OSHA thread? Whatever. Found these today leaving the dentist.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is this the thread where that wack brickwork was being posted, or was that the OSHA thread? Whatever. Found these today leaving the dentist.

That's dope as hell tbh

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Youth Decay posted:

(from the saddest condo in my city)

If it were still an apartment I'd say meh, whatever. I've looked at (and lived) in way shittier within walking distance of there. As a condo it's pretty crap though. Also, sucks that they turned a rental into another condo, too many lovely condos and not enough rentals (especially affordable ones) in town.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

I have the same trashcan (from the local valet trash collection company that does a bunch of apartments in the city). I checked with my own oven and a space the width of the trashcan allows for the door to open only at a ~45 degree angle, rendering the bottom rack inaccessible. :ms:

Looking at this angle, I wonder what led them to putting the stove half in the corner like that in the first place? It seems like there is plenty of room and they could have saved a lot of trouble by putting it next to the fridge. Or put the stove where the sink is, and put the sink somewhere else.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looking at this angle, I wonder what led them to putting the stove half in the corner like that in the first place? It seems like there is plenty of room and they could have saved a lot of trouble by putting it next to the fridge. Or put the stove where the sink is, and put the sink somewhere else.

if the haphazard room "layout" didn't give it away, it's that it was lazily tacked on to an existing layout.

which also would explain the "two chairs and a laundry closet" room.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

I like the scratches on the cabinet from being hit with the oven door a thousand times.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Youth Decay posted:

I realize it might create a strange layout, but wouldn't it have worked out much better to just put the stove on a 45 degree angle in that corner?
You might lose 1/2 of an upper cabinet if you have to do something funky with the duct work (assuming that microwave is vented)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize it might create a strange layout, but wouldn't it have worked out much better to just put the stove on a 45 degree angle in that corner?
You might lose 1/2 of an upper cabinet if you have to do something funky with the duct work (assuming that microwave is vented)

just put the stove in line with the fridge and have a big corner counter space over there

I'm sure it was just saving a buck with hookups or discount cabinetry or something

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
The thing that stood out to me in there is it would be awkward to wash dishes in the sink, as theres no counterspace on one side. Where are you expected to put your clean/dirty dishes

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

AFewBricksShy posted:

Try just... moving that whole side six inches to the left? There's clearly space! Sure you'd have it overhanging the wall past the sink by that much, but that would have been much less terrible than whatever this is

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There's nothing that designers hate more than having over like 16 inches of useful horizontal counter space

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

urzaserra256 posted:

The thing that stood out to me in there is it would be awkward to wash dishes in the sink, as theres no counterspace on one side. Where are you expected to put your clean/dirty dishes

it's a double sink, so they can go in the left basin

It's not perfect, but it's fine

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

C'mon, you guys are posting the least funny pictures in that set

The wildly inappropriate furniture in the model unit contrasted with the low hanging sprinkler pipes everywhere totally does it for me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It looks like doomsday bunker meets pirated satellite HGTV where the channel only shows in black and white

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, that main sprinkler valve can totally go inside someone's unit.

I think this is my favorite soffit, it just ends.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm imagining that's a primary structural beam for the building, and it's been "notched" once for the sprinkler line and then a second time just to run the curtain.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Guy Axlerod posted:

Welcome to my lounging hallway nook, where I go when I want to be alone and read a book with constant interruptions and trigger my claustrophobia!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm imagining that's a primary structural beam for the building, and it's been "notched" once for the sprinkler line and then a second time just to run the curtain.

Buddy, I don't understand why they didn't build a bulkhead around that fire protection line, face the sprinkler heads down off the pipe, flush with the wallboard. That way, they could have kept the other bulkhead from being sectioned like that. Wtf lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

D-LINK posted:

Buddy, I don't understand why they didn't build a bulkhead around that fire protection line, face the sprinkler heads down off the pipe, flush with the wallboard. That way, they could have kept the other bulkhead from being sectioned like that. Wtf lol

That costs money.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guy Axlerod posted:

I think this is my favorite soffit, it just ends.

Getting a real "converted factory/storage/school building" vibe.

I did a loss at a condo-hive that had been a Catholic school, which, when built in 1925, was GIRLS on one side and BOYS on the other (segregated). Not only was it full of blind soffits & other drywaller's nighmares, they never updated the plumbing...and it had only had two large bathrooms at either end of the building...so all 16-condos drained waste into two (2) four-inch cast-iron lines installed 95-years ago.

Why yes, the below-grade units occasionally had their toilets & tubs convert to poo poo-fountains, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
The condo has nearly as much square footage as my house. One difference is that my house looks like a place where human beings live.