Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
you could demolish that house and sell the land it's sitting on for more than that, the house itself has negative value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Mike Harris getting dragged in literally every comment on this is part of a complete breakfast

https://twitter.com/timhudak/status/1269649129648590848

Hell yes. Mike Harris was the first politician I was young enough to hate. His government cut my education so much that I dropped out of school and did it myself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

a primate posted:

me, flipping through the pictures: what’s wrong with this place, that Philipp guy must be a snob or— ahhhh holy poo poo

:lol: I was thinking the same. Looks great!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

xtal posted:

Hell yes. Mike Harris was the first politician I was young enough to hate. His government cut my education so much that I dropped out of school and did it myself.

It's amazing how many of Ontario's fuckups can be traced back to him. Even the Fords wouldn't be a thing if their idiot father wasn't a Harris backbencher.

Selling off the 407? Harris
Cancelling the Eglinton subway? Harris
Walkerton? You know that was Harris

flashy_mcflash has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Jun 8, 2020

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's amazing how many of Ontario's fuckups can be traced back to him. Even the Fords wouldn't be a thing if their idiot father wasn't a Harris backbencher.

Mass privatization of Elderly Healthcare Facilities
Created Ontario Works as a way to defund ODSP Resulting in: ()
Amalgamations efforts
Ipperwash Crisis

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

killed any chance of high-speed rail in the Windsor-QC corridor

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Mass privatization of Elderly Healthcare Facilities

By the way, he is now the Chairman of the board of Chartwell Retirement Residences, which I think is one of if not the largest private long term care companies. Their patients in their facilities have been hit way harder than public ones.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It really says something that cretinous hash and sticker dealer Doug Ford, who bungled the handling of a pandemic, still has a ways to go before he can even touch the 'shittiest Ontario Premier' title, currently held by that rat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jettisonedstuff posted:

By the way, he is now the Chairman of the board of Chartwell Retirement Residences, which I think is one of if not the largest private long term care companies. Their patients in their facilities have been hit way harder than public ones.

i used to work in a Chartwell retirement home serving food. it was literally worse then prison food. we were given exactly 3 hours to feed about 200 residents, and that includes food preparation, clearing the dining room, and washing the dishes. total kitchen staff during a meal is 3-4 people. needless to say we were rushing at all times, and were required to cut corners at every opportunity. the way the rest of the facility operated wasn't much better. they had extremely poor management and bare bones staff at all times.

i can understand why all of the elderly are dying of covid, especially in Chartwell places

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

xtal posted:

The killing of Dudley George was pretty close to where I lived, while the community I lived in generally viewed favoured the OPP, the whole history of that event got me to realize that sometimes the cops just kill people for no good reason.

flashy_mcflash posted:

It really says something that cretinous hash and sticker dealer Doug Ford, who bungled the handling of a pandemic, still has a ways to go before he can even touch the 'shittiest Ontario Premier' title, currently held by that rat.

The difference was that Harris was competent at what he was trying to do. I'm getting the sense that Ford has some competent ministers that have tried to steer him in an effective direction but a bunch who don't, and the man himself is pretty suspect.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Are you ready for the next conservative rear end in a top hat talking point for the next 5 years.

cuz its

https://twitter.com/AD_Humphreys/status/1270081455956393984

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

apatheticman posted:

Are you ready for the next conservative rear end in a top hat talking point for the next 5 years.

cuz its

Kind of doubt anyone is going to be talking about that guy in 5 years. Can't really blame the cons for the Liberals letting through another sex pest either, every party has got them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

cuz its

quote:

His official entry on the Parliament of Canada website now lists his party affiliation as “independent.”

lol owned

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the liberals have a blackface problem

https://twitter.com/cbcmanitoba/status/1270133040359096321?s=21

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

quote:

On Friday, after the criminal charges against him were revealed in the media, he announced he was “stepping back from the Liberal caucus” but not resigning as an MP.

Giving me that vibe of staying on as an MP just long enough to "whoops too late for a by election" gently caress my constituents.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How tf do you show up in blackface any time in the last 20 years and not get your rear end beat

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

How tf do you show up in blackface any time in the last 20 years and not get your rear end beat

Private school.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
also Quebec.

one of my SO’s old high school friends was going to show up to a Halloween party in blackface like 2 years ago until she called him out on it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I ask here instead of the request images thread, since I figured one of you would be faster. Does anyone have the "Do it for her" meme from the Simpsons, but where its images of Dr Hinshaw instead of Maggie?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope no one was dipping into CERB inappropriately!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-planning-fines-imprisonment-for-fraudulent-cerb-claims/

quote:

Ottawa planning fines, imprisonment for fraudulent CERB claims
The federal government is planning to legislate fines and jail time for people who submit fraudulent claims under the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, a $60-billion program that provides income support to workers affected by the pandemic.

The changes are in a draft bill obtained by The Globe and Mail that has not yet been introduced in the minority Parliament, where the Liberals will need the support of at least one other major opposition party for it to become law.

The initial CERB legislation was largely silent on potential consequences for fraud beyond a statement that erroneous payments would have to be returned to the government. The draft bill introduces terms such as “punishment” or “imprisonment” in reference to violations. It outlines a series of offences, including making false or misleading statements, failing to fully disclose all relevant income or receiving an income support payment for which a person is not eligible.

Under “punishment,” the draft bill says those guilty of an offence could receive a fine of not more than $5,000 plus not more than double the amount of the income support payment “that was or would have been paid as a result of committing the offence” or “both the fine and imprisonment for a term of not more than six months.” The bill does not say when those provisions would take effect, which suggests that section will not be enforced retroactively.

However, another section includes retroactive financial penalties of up to three times the improperly claimed amount, but no jail time. Offences under that section would apply to people who “fail to return to work when it is reasonable to do so and the employer makes a request for their return; fail to resume self-employment when it is reasonable to do so or decline a reasonable job offer when they are able to work.”

In an interview, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh accused Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of taking a “heavy-handed” approach that will harm vulnerable Canadians and runs counter to the current public debate about inequality and the justice system.

“It’s ludicrous," he said. “Instead of making it easier for people to get back to work, making it safer for people to get back to work, he wants to scare people into work with threats of putting people in jail, during a time when we’re in a moment where we’re talking about the overincarceration of racialized people, of Black people. And these types of penalties are going to hurt the people that are the most desperate.”

Conservative MP and employment critic Dan Albas said his party has repeatedly raised concerns about fraudulent CERB claims, and is reviewing the draft bill before deciding how to respond. He said Parliament, which is suspended because of the coronavirus, should be sitting regularly so the bill can be thoroughly scrutinized.

Dan Kelly, president of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, said the stronger language is welcome because many small-business owners are having a hard time persuading workers to return.

“While some workers are worried about returning to work for health-related reasons, many are happy to take the summer off if their income needs are taken care of through CERB," he said.

Public demand for CERB payments exceeded the government’s initial projections, and the federal cabinet must now decide how to phase out the program as businesses start to reopen.

As of June 4, the federal government has paid out $43.5-billion in CERB support. In a report last month, the Finance Department revised its projected total cost for the program from $35-billion to $60-billion. At the same time, it reduced the projected cost of the similar Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy for employers from $73-billion to $45-billion.

The CERB provides taxable income support of $2,000 for any four-week period between March 15 and Oct. 3. Applicants are required to reapply every month and attest that they are unable to work for pandemic-related reasons.

The program limits support to $8,000, or 16 weeks, which means many recipients will soon exhaust their benefits.

The draft bill does not change the 16-week maximum. A previous bill gave cabinet the power to adjust that limit through regulation.

The draft bill would change the eligibility windows, applying the measures to any four-week period between March 15 and July 5 and any two-week period between July 5 and Oct. 3.

A senior government official, who is not being identified by The Globe because they were not authorized to comment publicly on the draft bill, said the purpose of the new two-week eligibility period is to provide workers and employers with increased flexibility to cover shorter periods of time away from work.

Canadian Labour Congress president Hassan Yussuff said the government should not impose “draconian” penalties on workers.

“Penalizing workers in a pandemic, I don’t think that would be fair,” he said. “If people of course are filing fraudulent claims, by all means, the government has mechanisms to go after those individuals … but to put people in jail and to threaten them with large fines, I really don’t think that is really appropriate.”

Simon Ross, a spokesperson for Government House Leader Pablo Rodriguez, said in an e-mail that the government shared a draft bill on Saturday with opposition parties and is in discussion with “all parties to reach a consensus.”

The Speaker’s Office announced late Monday that the House of Commons will be recalled on Wednesday afternoon to deal with a government bill, setting the stage for the draft legislation to be introduced.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
do reporters ever feel like slimy dipshits for putting up trial balloons on the government's behalf?

draft bill and unnamed government official, get the gently caress outta here

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
to be clear, I'm not yelling at you for posting the article. just seems like reporters always getting played

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are ex post facto laws even legal in Canada? I thought you couldn't retroactively make criminal penalties harsher. Thats like one of the old magicks of english law.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm sure by the time you've made it to a major publication your morals have been compromised in the name of access long before then.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got a job so I'll have to get off the sweet government money. Only took six months after getting my degree.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got a job so I'll have to get off the sweet government money. Only took six months after getting my degree.

I'm sure I'll find a job soon! After all I have to pay off these massive loans i took out to become qualified to work in public libraries :suicide:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

good luck arresting my 3 horses trudough

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One good thing to do is arrest your workers during an economic crisis

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Universal Basic Imprisonment

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

One good thing to do is arrest your workers during an economic crisis

I wonder if they are trying to get away from needing the NDP's support, by pushing through stuff the Cons want.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I wonder if they are trying to get away from needing the NDP's support, by pushing through stuff the Cons want.

i can only hope that they make themselves indistinguishable from the cons while making the ndp stand out to the left

until jagmeet slams his fist down in a meeting and says “we have to move right to win like everyone else is!”

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My MPI rebate came in. What two video games should I buy?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the way they calculated mpi rebates was dumb because I had my car in layup for most of last year and i got as much back as most people did lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Are ex post facto laws even legal in Canada? I thought you couldn't retroactively make criminal penalties harsher. Thats like one of the old magicks of english law.

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right ...

(g) not to be found guilty on account of any act or omission unless, at the time of the act or omission, it constituted an offence under Canadian or international law or was criminal according to the general principles of law recognized by the community of nations;

the punishment might be for failing to return the amount of the overpayment: the government hasn't asked for repayment yet, so it wouldn't be retroactive in that case

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the only provincial parties that are losing polling support during this pandemic are the ucp, sasks party and the manitoba pcs. something something prairie conservatism

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/taylorium/status/1270030848679489536

say hello to the next mayor of toronto

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

political dynamic duo with the future prime minister that showed up at Nathan Phillips Square

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they ID'd that guy, a 28 year old schmuck from Thornhill

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

the only provincial parties that are losing polling support during this pandemic are the ucp, sasks party and the manitoba pcs. something something prairie conservatism

Hey we tried doing nothing why are you mad at us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

infernal machines posted:

they ID'd that guy, a 28 year old schmuck from Thornhill

who's albanian by the sound of his name, which is a twist I was not expecting.

Anyways what the gently caress Quebec

Only registered members can see post attachments!