Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nate RFB posted:

Grey Prince Zote is by no means the hardest boss in the game, but I want all of you to know that if I never manage to beat the pantheons it's 100% his fault.
I think beating the game again while not saving Zote would be a time save vs beating the pantheon with him in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No Wave posted:

I think beating the game again while not saving Zote would be a time save vs beating the pantheon with him in it.

can confirm

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Seriously, Markoth is annoying but no fight gave me more of a panicky fear of utterly choking than Zote in Pantheon of Hallownest. I think I lost at least a couple runs to him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's interesting to think about why that is- zote has a more complex moveset, especially incorporating his "add ons", than possibly anyone else. That's on top of relatively tight response intervals.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 9, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He does things much more randomly so there isn't a consistent safe flowchart strategy and it leads him to do things that are occasionally extremely unfair (usually involving the exploding zotes then jumping on you). He kind of demonstrates just how consistent the other bosses are in terms of how their moves work.

I've also found it easy to get stuck in a corner because it isn't really ever safe to jump over him (unless he's doing the fencing attack).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zote uses the most powerful move in almost any 2D platformer enemy's moveset, which is "occasionally run straight at your face while holding a sword out"

Really though he felt the hardest to predict to me, and on top of that he specifically fucks with you with his dive-through-the-floor move in a way that just gets in my head and freaks me out

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nate RFB posted:

Grey Prince Zote is by no means the hardest boss in the game, but I want all of you to know that if I never manage to beat the pantheons it's 100% his fault.

He's definitely why I haven't beaten Pantheon 3 yet!

Which is hosed up, cause I beat Zote 4 before, who's harder than the one in the Pantheon!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
GPZ is one of my favorite fights in the game :shobon:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GPZ probably should be before the rest point instead of shortly after. Grimm is so tame, comparably. I beat the third pantheon a few times last night while working on bindings and GPZ was definitely the hardest part each time

Also noticed that Grimm bows to the Godseeker instead of to the player, that's pretty cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

QuarkJets posted:

GPZ probably should be before the rest point instead of shortly after. Grimm is so tame, comparably. I beat the third pantheon a few times last night while working on bindings and GPZ was definitely the hardest part each time

Also noticed that Grimm bows to the Godseeker instead of to the player, that's pretty cool

He knows who he's performing for.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I love Hornets music. Hope Silksong has some fun remixes of that theme.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Martman posted:

I had the same experience with Steel Soul 100% being way easier and more pleasant than expected, then when Godhome came along I noped out and figured they had hosed up and made something too obnoxiously hard. When I finally came back and went for it, I fell in love with the game all over again. If you're really into the combat, Godhome can blow you away with how well-designed almost every fight is. (there are like 2 bullshit ones so yeah)

I had the same experience except when I started doing Godhome stuff I was like "wow I was right this is really unfun". The standalone fights are good but as part of a boss rush they are just The Worst.

I might just be griping because my old man reflexes literally cannot keep up with PV though. I managed to eke out one win in the godhome then was like "we take those, i'm out 111% is full completion gently caress you knight pantheon"

e: I've actually never really had problems with Zote, He's insanely vulnerable to burst damage and while he doesn't really telegraph his moves they're all really easy to react to

though tbf I tend to get my rear end kicked by that stupid caterpillar ball so I guess we all have our demons

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 9, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Perhaps you haven't heard of Zote? Impossible! He's a knight of great renown!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

In steel soul mode does dying in a dream fight still count as dying or do you get multiple attempts? Not that I would ever try it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cactus posted:

In steel soul mode does dying in a dream fight still count as dying or do you get multiple attempts? Not that I would ever try it.

No, you can die in dream battles and still keep going.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cactus posted:

Much like in real life, if you die in a dream, you don't die in real life.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just came back to this game after not playing in almost a year, purely because I decided to beat NKG. I sat down and fought him over and over, probably 20-30 times, and finally beat him. :feelsgood:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Finally, and on the first try today in an almost anticlimactic fashion. Getting Quick Slash in there turned out to be the key, let me out DPS Zote fast enough that he just had so much fewer opportunities to create bullshit situations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Finally, and on the first try today in an almost anticlimactic fashion. Getting Quick Slash in there turned out to be the key, let me out DPS Zote fast enough that he just had so much fewer opportunities to create bullshit situations.

Congrats. The real dark souls starts here.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

No, you can die in dream battles and still keep going.

With the notable exception of the true final boss. Just get the normal ending if you're doing Steel Soul.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

With the notable exception of the true final boss. Just get the mushroom ending if you're doing Steel Soul.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I will absolutely not ever be attempting steelsoul. toxx!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RCarr posted:

I just came back to this game after not playing in almost a year, purely because I decided to beat NKG. I sat down and fought him over and over, probably 20-30 times, and finally beat him. :feelsgood:

now you get the fun task of learning how to fight every other boss again because your reflexes are completely wired for NKG and only NKG

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

now you get the fun task of learning how to fight every other boss again because your reflexes are completely wired for NKG and only NKG

:yeah:

The only bosses in the game I haven't beaten now are Pure Vessel and Radiance. I'm working on Pure Vessel now, and I'm getting progressively closer to beating it.

Can I fight Radiance without going through all the Pantheons? I beat the first 3, but I doubt I will ever beat the 4th. I can just Dream Nail the Hollow Knight at the end of the fight in the Black Temple, right? Then I can fight Radiance there?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You can beat Radiance without ever setting foot in Godhome. However, if you want to beat Absolute Radiance and get the super duper double secret ending, you need to do all five pantheons.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

RCarr posted:

:yeah:

The only bosses in the game I haven't beaten now are Pure Vessel and Radiance. I'm working on Pure Vessel now, and I'm getting progressively closer to beating it.

Can I fight Radiance without going through all the Pantheons? I beat the first 3, but I doubt I will ever beat the 4th. I can just Dream Nail the Hollow Knight at the end of the fight in the Black Temple, right? Then I can fight Radiance there?

Yep. The Radiance at the end of the pantheon is a deluxe ultra Radiance though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For the love of god just google a video of it! Stop before it’s too late!

:psyboom:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

yeah the absolute radiance fight is uh somewhat poorly designed(mostly those homing shots that can literally spawn on you), and of course it does double damage and makes you fight 40+ other bosses if you lose

just bad game design.exe

regular radiance is fine though

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Fighting and beating Absolute Radiance was one of the best gamesfeels I have ever had. I highly recommend it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Fighting and beating Absolute Radiance was one of the best gamesfeels I have ever had. I highly recommend it.

not worth the hours of insane tedium beforehand imo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Yinlock posted:

I thought it was fun :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's cool that it exists and is possible but also like, doesn't it not even contribute to your %? I feel like that kind of tells the story.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Well obviously don't even bother if you don't like fighting Hollow Knight bosses but I've been enjoying it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What I don't understand is why even in godseeker mode do you need to earn the right to fight absolute radiance... like, come on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wish Absrad was at the end of a pantheon that was like.

All of the dream bosses. The later game bosses. Brothers, Paintmaster, Nailsage, then NKG, Pure Vessel, Absrad. Just filter out all of the crap and bring all of the game's heavy hitters. I don't see the point of having so much filler in the 5th pantheon.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MJeff posted:

I wish Absrad was at the end of a pantheon that was like.

All of the dream bosses. The later game bosses. Brothers, Paintmaster, Nailsage, then NKG, Pure Vessel, Absrad. Just filter out all of the crap and bring all of the game's heavy hitters. I don't see the point of having so much filler in the 5th pantheon.

Yeah, this would have been way better IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have not beaten PV yet obviously but I can already tell that the Pantheon of the Knight is way less of an overall pain in the rear end than the one with Zote in it, made it to the end on like my second try.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pantheon 3 is rough because God Tamer and Grimm both take so long and then Zote is the devil. If their order was reversed it would have been much less annoying.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 11, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

God Tamer doesn't take me long, I just bounce on the beast's face over and over and move laterally a little bit to avoid weapon swings. It might take longer if you're not using the strength charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

God Tamer doesn't take me long, I just bounce on the beast's face over and over and move laterally a little bit to avoid weapon swings. It might take longer if you're not using the strength charm

I could not imagine doing God home without the strength charm