Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Man I watched all of Atlantis and barely remember any of it except that McKay is literally the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really wanted to like the star gate tv shows but I couldn't.

Edit: AnotherUslssPoster shut the gently caress up in the god drat newbie thread.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

CainFortea posted:

I really wanted to like the star gate tv shows but I couldn't.

Edit: AnotherUslssPoster shut the gently caress up in the god drat newbie thread.

Ok will do. It just sounded like he wasnt listening while watching
Or not paying attention at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Haha, rating Lennier at number 3, citing how "nice" he is. The irony.

Of course it's not TheAardvark's fault for thinking this at this point of the series, I wasn't much different back then.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It wasn't until my 4th or 5th watch through where I'd finally grown out of my own nice guy phase that I realized what a creep Lennier becomes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Ok will do. It just sounded like he wasnt listening while watching
Or not paying attention at all.

It doesn't matter what it sounds like. It's not ours to correct him. If he misses something important then it's on the other virgin watchers to pick it up.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Just make sure no one will make a mistake of binging the show without writing it down. I still don't remember what s2 was about besides sheridan's dumb 'good luck speech' and the magic life force transfer guillotine but am looking forward to comparing my notes with what they will see.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Just make sure no one will make a mistake of binging the show without writing it down.

Oh no, somebody might not catch every single thing their first watch-through of a show. :rolleyes:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 8, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I rewatched BSquared, it was my fault all along. Sorry.
Oh god I get the point now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Haha, rating Lennier at number 3, citing how "nice" he is. The irony.

Of course it's not TheAardvark's fault for thinking this at this point of the series, I wasn't much different back then.

Man Vir's gonna blow him away here soon I think. I might be biased, Vir's my favorite.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CainFortea posted:

Man Vir's gonna blow him away here soon I think. I might be biased, Vir's my favorite.

Same, and I'd submit him as the real hero of the show, or at least the one with the most obvious hero's journey. I mean, he starts out as some wimpy assistant, ends up as perhaps the finest Emperor the Centauri ever had.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

quote:

Ahhhhh God I love Lennier. No wonder the Minbari are the race humans got into a war with. They're the only ones with a culture of kindness.

From the newbie thread. loving :lol:, the next few seasons are going to hit him like a train.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheAardvark posted:

I pray to one day get to see Lennier's "psychotic impulses and violent homicidal rages"

also from the other thread, lol

:getin:

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Polaron posted:

From the newbie thread. loving :lol:, the next few seasons are going to hit him like a train.

I saw that and thought "oh man, this guy's going to be disillusioned so hard. It's going to be amazing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

E: Forgot another note I had: It'll be interesting to see if that alien healing device gets used in the future/throughout the series, since it was introduced during a one-off episode.

Love these little thoughts

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McCloud posted:

Love these little thoughts

For a hot second I was like "I don't remember how this comes up a....OOOH RIIIIIGHT"

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I rewatched BSquared, it was my fault all along. Sorry.
Oh god I get the point now.

What did you say?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Doctor Zero posted:

What did you say?

To be quoted exactly 'Either my english sucks more than I though or you should rewatch the episode'. Because of calling vorlons 'zorlons' (oh cmon!) and the whole 'to the future' point. Vorlons were mentioned quite some times already. 'The future' is in this episode only, while the whole B4 ordeal is to send it to past. My memory got rewritten with whole Valen thing.
And 'the point' being really seeing the whole show through the newbie's eyes. I thought it was just a way of saying but indeed what it is. A blind watch through someone's eyes.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 8, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

To be quoted exactly 'Either my english sucks more than I though or you should rewatch the episode'. Because of calling vorlons 'zorlons' (oh cmon!) and the whole 'to the future' point. Vorlons were mentioned quite some times already. 'The future' is in this episode only, while the whole B4 ordeal is to send it to past. My memory got rewritten with whole Valen thing.
And 'the point' being really seeing the whole show through the newbie's eyes. I thought it was just a way of saying but indeed what it is. A blind watch through someone's eyes.

The original intention was for B4 to have been sent to the future, so him picking up on that is actually pretty spot-on. It was only later that things changed, IIRC.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, War Without End does a good enough job tying Babylon Squared to the different direction the show went, but you can definitely that Babylon Squared was written with the original show treatment in mind.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

It’s probably a bit too modern a concept, but I get a slight queer vibe between Ivanova and Talia. 

Lol. I liked the way they handled that, it was v nbd.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

There was only so far they could go with it on network TV in the '90s, I think.
Edit: Finally decided to have a glance at that thread, and:

I'll be able to finish my watch-through after all! :unsmith:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 8, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

They also had Marcus and Franklin pretend to be a couple and that was (mostly) treated as nbd too

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

sebmojo posted:

B5 did an amazing job of depicting a future free of bigotry. Nobody even talks about gay rights because it's a settled issue.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 8, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CainFortea posted:

For a hot second I was like "I don't remember how this comes up a....OOOH RIIIIIGHT"

(Alien healing device) It comes up again immediately first though

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Same, and I'd submit him as the real hero of the show, or at least the one with the most obvious hero's journey. I mean, he starts out as some wimpy assistant, ends up as perhaps the finest Emperor the Centauri ever had.

One of the best comedic scenes in the series is the bit where Vir and Londo are just sitting silently in Londo's quarters after they got told they would both be Emperor constantly looking back at each other and trying to chat and immediately suspicious of what the other says.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pentyne posted:

One of the best comedic scenes in the series is the bit where Vir and Londo are just sitting silently in Londo's quarters after they got told they would both be Emperor constantly looking back at each other and trying to chat and immediately suspicious of what the other says.

Comedic but dumb - Londo has no reason to be suspicious of Vir until he has become Emperor. Until then he's bulletproof.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Jeez Louise, can we stop posting spoilers in the blind watch thread?

Let the watchers figure stuff out or be surprised later on about how folks act the way they do.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bell_ posted:

Let the watchers figure stuff out or be surprised later on about how folks act the way they do.

This is why we can't have nice things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bell_ posted:

make it a 1 day probe it's literally happening 2x a day now.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

pentyne posted:

make it a 1 year probe it's literally happening 2x a day now.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

For the record I have heroically resisted the urge to spoil Bablyon 5 in that thread and limited myself to spoiling Game of Thrones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

For the record I have heroically resisted the urge to spoil Bablyon 5 in that thread and limited myself to spoiling Game of Thrones.

Those folks knew what they got themselves into.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pentyne posted:

make it a 1 day probe it's literally happening 2x a day now.

Make it a 100k probe, cancelled when the Blind Thread gets to the end of S5. I've been biting my tongue not mentioning things in there that aren't even technically spoilers, like telling The Doctor he was right in spotting the Forbidden Planet reference. I'm sure I could confirm that, but the more I post in there the more likely it is I'll slip up. Better not to start.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jedit posted:

Make it a 100k probe, cancelled when the Blind Thread gets to the end of S5. I've been biting my tongue not mentioning things in there that aren't even technically spoilers, like telling The Doctor he was right in spotting the Forbidden Planet reference. I'm sure I could confirm that, but the more I post in there the more likely it is I'll slip up. Better not to start.

Super same. Like I find it hard to even blame someone for seeing a watcher write "I get a romantic vibe off Ivonova and Talia, but that can't be right in a 90s TV show, can it?" and wanting to reply to let them know that no, that is in fact right. I mean, its not a spoiler exactly even though there is more to that story to come, they've already seen it happen, you're just telling them that they have interpreted what they've already witnessed correctly.

But even going that far is clearly too far when you can just let them keep watching and see how their relationship plays out and get their confirmation themselves. Which leaves me just resisting the urge to post anything at all and mostly just lurk the thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

I wanted to talk about production stuff and things like Richard Briggs being deaf but now I realize they're watching that and letting it affect their perception of the actor's performance when it's one of those things better learned after the fact and then its "holy poo poo I never would guessed"

I like the meta commentary in the thread like how the Ben Zayn actor went 110% with role and pissed everyone off but those details should be discussed here with the episode titles bolded in the post for later reference when the blind watchers finish and come back here to read what we reacted and discussed while watching them.

I do love seeing them all call Garibaldi Chief ACAB and see him as this hyper fash thug since some of the character is literally Jerry Doyle just being himself.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don't even want to start telling them to see who's still alive :(

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

pentyne posted:

I like the meta commentary in the thread like how the Ben Zayn actor went 110% with role and pissed everyone off but those details should be discussed here with the episode titles bolded in the post for later reference when the blind watchers finish and come back here to read what we reacted and discussed while watching them.

I don't know about that, I feel like at a certain point that just leaves the thread as nothing but the two watchers talking to each other, or more often past each other since they're not going at the same pace, and us creeping on them with gleeful grins occasionally. A little bit of meta-commentary and cross-talk helps keep the thread feeling lively and everyone feel like they're participating in some way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
maybe you guys should just not read along with the thread and commit yourselves to going back and reading through it after it's finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Basically, think and act like a Vorlon.

<*ouch*>