Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I...uh, never really watched Gundam 00 beyond the first episode...

Are...

are those beam sabers coming out of its feet

EDIT: Wait no it is the things it is standing on.
The answer is yes and yes. Beam saber feet extensions. 00 has some pretty rad MSVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got done with the RG Unicorn. Had a bit of a Snafu with decals and the some of the head parts (Note to self: Stop twisting off gates, not matter how easy it may look), but it turned out very well regardless. The transformation stuff is generally well done and it is really cool to see the differences between the two forms. All in all a really fun, good build! A couple of gripes, however.

1. Even after breaking them in a bit, the shoulder joints are still stiff to the point I don’t want to mess with them any more than I have to.

2. The weapons are boring. They are probably like that in the source material but a jet black beam rifle and bazooka (With an awkwardly placed sticker for each) does nothing for me. That said, I like that they tried something by having removable clips for each, but it only works well on the beam rifle; the bazooka has its clip hanging in place with a tiny peg.

3. This is more a general Gunpla thing, but I think I realize I hate waist armor. Almost everywhere I see it is floppy crotches and butt flaps all the way down.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

3. This is more a general Gunpla thing, but I think I realize I hate waist armor. Almost everywhere I see it is floppy crotches and butt flaps all the way down.

This is part of the reason why I appreciate the design in things like patlabor. The av-98 from that doesnt have exposed machinery at the joints (they have cloth/rubber coating) and it doesnt have waist armour. There is a winch in its crotch though.

Also, can anyone tell me why the 00 Sky HG kit has a bunch of clear parts that don't seem to fit onto the model at all? I'm not complaining because hey free parts, but still it's odd. Does it share components with another kit or something?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Lots of kits reuse runners from other kits and as such all pieces may not be used on each runner.

If you look in the manuals first pages, the runners will have an x across parts that aren't used in the kit your building.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mephiston posted:

This is part of the reason why I appreciate the design in things like patlabor. The av-98 from that doesnt have exposed machinery at the joints (they have cloth/rubber coating) and it doesnt have waist armour. There is a winch in its crotch though.

Also, can anyone tell me why the 00 Sky HG kit has a bunch of clear parts that don't seem to fit onto the model at all? I'm not complaining because hey free parts, but still it's odd. Does it share components with another kit or something?

The manual will have a picture of the runners with X's through unused parts, it's probably from some frames being recycled from another kit.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This uh... This gon' take a while.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Metrofreak posted:

Literally why the hobby is so great! You can really stretch a $25 kit for hours if you want.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Just got done with the RG Unicorn. Had a bit of a Snafu with decals and the some of the head parts (Note to self: Stop twisting off gates, not matter how easy it may look), but it turned out very well regardless. The transformation stuff is generally well done and it is really cool to see the differences between the two forms. All in all a really fun, good build! A couple of gripes, however.

1. Even after breaking them in a bit, the shoulder joints are still stiff to the point I don’t want to mess with them any more than I have to.

2. The weapons are boring. They are probably like that in the source material but a jet black beam rifle and bazooka (With an awkwardly placed sticker for each) does nothing for me. That said, I like that they tried something by having removable clips for each, but it only works well on the beam rifle; the bazooka has its clip hanging in place with a tiny peg.

This is why I went with the Banshee Norn, though I still need to get the P-Bandai extra weapons. Really nice kits though, I bought the regular one for MY WIFE to build together, so that was lots of fun. It’s weird, she really doesn’t like to watch anime and endlessly mocks it (let’s face it, most of the popular stuff has issues when you scratch the surface) but she loves putting together those kits. Good times!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Metrofreak posted:

That's all split up for airbrushing ?

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mllaneza posted:

That's all split up for airbrushing ?

That and additional detailing, yes.

(those knees cannot be disassembled!)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got my Dynames and I am looking at the instructions, specifically for the GN drive and the optional led units. Should I go for them? Honestly, $15 for 2 green LEDs seems kind of steep (Which is funny considering this hobby, not to mention my backlog pile), not to mention actually tracking them down seems like a pain in the rear end. Can they easily be installed after the fact?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I got my Dynames and I am looking at the instructions, specifically for the GN drive and the optional led units. Should I go for them? Honestly, $15 for 2 green LEDs seems kind of steep (Which is funny considering this hobby, not to mention my backlog pile), not to mention actually tracking them down seems like a pain in the rear end. Can they easily be installed after the fact?

It looks like you just have to pull the halves of the GN Drive apart which shouldn’t be a big deal as long as you didn’t clip your fingernails immediately before trying to do it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Very easily. They're one piece units so they have to be removable to change the batteries.

They look great but they're always a pain to turn on and off so I usually turn them on let the batteries run out and never touch them again. :sweatdrop:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Metrofreak posted:

d3lness posted:

Literally why the hobby is so great! You can really stretch a $25 kit for hours if you want.

Reminds me of a terrible idea I had for a speedbuild contest. Select a random kit, clip all the parts, toss them back in the box, then throw away the runners. See who can assemble theirs first. If you're feeling extra dickish, grab an RG kit with a lot of spare parts just to confuse things. The Exia Repair III has a few dozen extra parts, iirc, since there are runners from the standard and R2 kits in there as well. :shepicide:

Unlucky7 posted:

Newtype has them for 12.95, assuming you live in a country they ship to. I have a set, and I've mentioned before that they're nice because they fit perfectly and you don't have to fiddle with anything to get them installed properly. My only issue is that the battery contacts seem loose because sometimes you have to jiggle everything to actually make them light. :sigh:

Installing them after building the kit shouldn't be an issue, since the GN drive slides out and the parts are easy to separate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

Very easily. They're one piece units so they have to be removable to change the batteries.

They look great but they're always a pain to turn on and off so I usually turn them on let the batteries run out and never touch them again. :sweatdrop:

You might want to get in there and pull the depleted batteries out before they rupture and leak inside the model.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

They can be installed easily enough, but a lot of people have had issues with Bandai LEDs being kind of unreliable. Plus they use batteries you probably won't need for much else, adding an additional step to the process.

So, no rush.

On an unrelated note, saw Gunpla at a Target today. Seems like they've been selling, unless they set up a whole SKU for orders of just one item. Only thing they had was Barbatos, but they had one each of the original HG and the Lupus Rex, and two of the Master Grade. Interesting to see the kits just sitting in a toy aisle.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

unless the GN drive takes a different form factor LED than the normal ones, i would not suggest buying bandai LEDs if you do decide to put some in. They're crazy overpriced, and tend not to work very well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

On an unrelated note, saw Gunpla at a Target today. Seems like they've been selling, unless they set up a whole SKU for orders of just one item. Only thing they had was Barbatos, but they had one each of the original HG and the Lupus Rex, and two of the Master Grade. Interesting to see the kits just sitting in a toy aisle.

I'm coming due for a TP replacement, I'll look around next time I'm at Target.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Target lists the MG Barbatos on its website: https://www.target.com/p/gundam-mg-1-100-gundam-barbatos/-/A-79695140

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Please hit up an LHS or Gundam Planet before you shop at any nationwide chains :-(

I know it's not feasible for every situation and every person but buying from them supports small businesses, and usually they'll do their utmost to respond to you as a customer up to and including special-ordering from their distributor if they can (LHS) or batching together shipments and even throwing in free face masks (Gundam Planet).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gundam planet seems pretty cool, they got me my bandai stands super duper quickly and were cheaper than most other options by a large amount, and also didn't have a like 2-per-person limit on them too

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Gundam Planet's statement yesterday went far beyond the other popular internet sellers' and elevated them in my eyes as a customer.

https://twitter.com/GundamPlanet/status/1269690358952341504

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Ironicus posted:

Gundam Planet's statement yesterday went far beyond the other popular internet sellers' and elevated them in my eyes as a customer.

Read the follow ups from them in that thread. They did listen, like they said they would.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

I saw that earlier today and pretty much everything from them has been :five: territory. It's weird how a company that isn't run by apathetic money monsters will actually try to be supportive they can. Newtype is selling some sweet stickers and donating to charity as well.

On a lighter note, nice weather is amazing and I wish I could do this every day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So my local store had the green leds so I grabbed them, but not before I realized that they did not include the batteries themselves :suicide:

Apparently they take LR41 batteries which can not be found in stores (from my searching, anyway), except there are a bunch of equivalents? Things are not very clear.

EDIT: I mean I am sure that I can easily get them via amazon or some other web seller but I want to see if I can get them local first.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 8, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So my local store had the green leds so I grabbed them, but not before I realized that they did not include the batteries themselves :suicide:

Apparently they take LR41 batteries which can not be found in stores (from my searching, anyway), except there are a bunch of equivalents? Things are not very clear.

EDIT: I mean I am sure that I can easily get them via amazon or some other web seller but I want to see if I can get them local first.

There are alkaline equivalents with different numbers. Google around. 392 and 384 are a couple but there are tons of others that will work. There was a run on them since they’re a popular digital thermometer battery but I expect they are more available now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

General Ironicus posted:

Well, I know where I'm getting my next kits from just out of one good turn deserving another.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I think i may have a problem:

A friend got me the rg wing gundam but i really cant seem to stop myself. Jist picked up the geara doga today because i saw it on a shelf at a hobby store while picking something else up. Just started work on the rg zaku2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tofu-Shiki

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Burns posted:

I think i may have a problem:

You're okay. I'm okay. We're all okay.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mllaneza posted:

You're okay. I'm okay. We're all okay.

What Legion you doing?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I keep thinking I want to make a Perfect Grade just to see what it is like. Then I look at prices.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Unlucky7 posted:

I keep thinking I want to make a Perfect Grade just to see what it is like. Then I look at prices.

This is me with Zoids.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

They're really just huge RG's. It's cool to have one for the novelty, but it also feels daunting while you're working on it. I think the Exia is one of the cheaper ones and also super rad.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
They're really hard to display without leaving them exposed to dust/hands

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/1009741/

HG Plutone of all things

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What Legion you doing?

I haven't decided. I did my old Epic scale Warhounds in blue with yellow accents or red - hey I never finished that Reaver - probably also yellow accents. Either Loyalist or just changed sides and haven't gotten all spikey Heretics.

They're also my first magnetization project, which is going well so far.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got my batteries from Microcenter ($12 for 4, which is still way more I should have paid for less but i was willing to pay the Impatient Idiot tax.

Finished up the GN Drive and the effect is neat, though not what I expected; I was expecting more a soft but noticeable, pleasant light, not a horrible searing light that you should not look directly into.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Japanese twitter went pretty nuts over that. Really though, if they're willing to put out a freaking Plutone, anything is possible now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Give me the MG Flag, bandai