Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's because they are all terrible people and they legitimately believe their bigotry is justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why did Rowling or anyone choose to make terf such a big part of their political beliefs in the first place? I feel like there's something I'm missing there.

It's a British thing. I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for it, but liberal British women hate trans people.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've heard theories that British feminism was way more tied into the physical body than American feminism, plus an entrenched class system that venerates the stupid ideas of the wealthy

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why did Rowling or anyone choose to make terf such a big part of their political beliefs in the first place? I feel like there's something I'm missing there.

no idea but I think she’s the only one I’ve seen actually going off like that. I hear about terfs a lot on SA but nowhere else.

I work with an angry 65 year old lesbian feminist who proudly describes herself as a man hating dyke. I had a hunch that if I knew any terfs it would be her because she has a fuckton of hate to spread around. nope, she’s fine with trans women and had actually never really thought about that being an issue.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/britneyhiatus/status/1244289315947110400

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
UK feminists weren’t as influenced by the Civil Rights Movement. They had their own thing going on.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1270124965623455744

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

By Laurence Kotlikoff, Opinion Contributor

quote:

was formerly on President Ronald Reagan's Council of Economic Advisers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It's a British thing. I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for it, but liberal British women hate trans people.

They're all on Mumsnet and Mumsnet tolerates anti-trans bigotry so they all got radicalized

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Samurai Sanders posted:

UK feminism decided that they had it all solved by the time Germain Greer came about and haven't bothered to move on from that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's because they are all terrible people and they legitimately believe their bigotry is justified.
Yeah I get they can be bigoted but...why trans people specifically? Are they worried there's going to be a sudden explosion of trans people someday and they're going to take over feminism?

Absolute Yeetus
Dec 11, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's because the funniest thing in the world to Britons is crossdressing

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Monty python made it impossible for trans people to have equal rights in Britain

e-

also are terfs even radical feminists or are they just cis women who hate trans people

The New York Times has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Jun 9, 2020

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I think it's because JK Rowling believes that women suffer incredible amounts of discrimination and lost opportunities because of their sex/gender and somehow trans and nonbinary people......do not?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwells Demon posted:

I think it's because JK Rowling believes that women suffer incredible amounts of discrimination and lost opportunities because of their sex/gender and somehow trans and nonbinary people......do not?

she thinks they're easy targets and she feels entitled to attack them. it's that simple, no reason or logic has been applied beyond that

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maxwells Demon posted:

I have at least heard that part of the argument before. The idea that trans people are just playing both sides, and will choose to present themselves as a man or a woman depending on if it's convenient.

Then, I guess those few people are undermining feminism enough to complain about, rather than the patriarchy's overwhelming power to undermine feminism.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The New York Times posted:

Monty python made it impossible for trans people to have equal rights in Britain

e-

also are terfs even radical feminists or are they just cis women who hate trans people

It used to mean second wave feminists who saw meaningful connections between sex and gender and wanted gendered problems affecting people of female sex, like reproductive rights, addressed, but who then refused to move past that inherent linking of sex to gender. So TERF was supposed to mean radical feminists who wanted improvements for women but didn't consider trans women to be women because they didn't think trans women shared the same biologically-determined problems as cis women. These days it's become a much broader term used to refer to anti-trans bigots in general though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

worth pointing out for the "terf is a slur" crowd that terf was literally a self-identification

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now I'm trying to think of what would make a good 'gently caress jk rowling / shut the gently caress up jk rowling' button design

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

She'd definitely capture the war criminal vote.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

from now on when anyone asks me what it's like to live in mississippi im just gonna show them this screenshot

oops I hosed it up a little, pretend "the op" is where it clearly belongs

update: this took an extremely hilarious turn, as the guy I was originally posting at angrily tagged the local police department on the status accusing me of being a drug dealer and trying to get them to come after me. Instead, the local police department, apparently knowing who the guy posting the nazi poo poo was already, picked him up for a probation violation because he was on probation for GTA and making violent threats on facebook towards me. I had nothing to do with it, did not in any way contact the police, and this loving moron got himself arrested. folks, sometimes a W comes your way on the wind, and you don't ask questions, you just take it.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

If you wait by the facebook feed long enough, the bodies of dumbass racists who are in violation of their probation will float by.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

i think it's more like she's the type to die on a hill when she feels she's being attacked for speaking her "common sense" opinion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
J. K. Rowling is a billionaire, and ostensibly a self-made billionaire (as if there were any such thing).

That’s all you need to know to understand her behaviour.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshi Wins posted:

If you wait by the facebook feed long enough, the bodies of dumbass racists who are in violation of their probation will float by.

I don't think it normally matters except that his friend tagged the police department he was on probation with onto the same status where he was making violent threats

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The conservative movement in America aligned itself with being anti-abortion and that sort of cleaved the issue enough that you don't get otherwise liberal feminists also being transphobes, because most of the transphobes are already in the Republican party and they also stand with all of the anti-feminist policies.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

J. K. Rowling is a billionaire, and ostensibly a self-made billionaire (as if there were any such thing).

That’s all you need to know to understand her behaviour.

artists, actors and other talent who get paid for their unique skill or idea directly are probably the one exception to capitalist production that can get filthy rich without exploitation, though obviously film, TV, music are as exploitative as any industry. JK rowling does benefit as a capitalist from toys and games and whatever else in that realm.

iirc even in the soviet union writer and poet were probably the highest paid position in society, though you had to join a guild to officially be a writer you couldn't just quit your day job and write.

it's actually a good question for both bourgeois econ and marxist econ why adam sandler gets $20mil / film and keeps getting it. That's gotta be tough to explain.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Jun 9, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

update: this took an extremely hilarious turn, as the guy I was originally posting at angrily tagged the local police department on the status accusing me of being a drug dealer and trying to get them to come after me. Instead, the local police department, apparently knowing who the guy posting the nazi poo poo was already, picked him up for a probation violation because he was on probation for GTA and making violent threats on facebook towards me. I had nothing to do with it, did not in any way contact the police, and this loving moron got himself arrested. folks, sometimes a W comes your way on the wind, and you don't ask questions, you just take it.

ftp but also lmfao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

artists, actors and other talent who get paid for their unique skill or idea directly are probably the one exception to capitalist production that can get filthy rich without exploitation, though obviously film, TV, music are as exploitative as any industry. JK rowling does benefit as a capitalist from toys and games and whatever else in that realm.

She’s more deserving of a billion dollars than Musk or Whitman or Notch, but she’s not a billon times more deserving than all the authors the publisher didn’t sign.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

https://youtu.be/tafCE6GJrhQ?t=274

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thread:

https://twitter.com/ess_trainor/status/1269748616895348738

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm sure the cops have a lot of non-cop allies who would also say that someone who had just got out of prison deserves to be harassed and humiliated like that, even in front of their family.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1270064501753147392

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/leegunwoo98/status/1161739687716769792

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/gdnlongread/status/1270052219568750595

!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is some sovcit guy for sure but i dont care, lord this channel is a thing of beauty
https://youtu.be/_tC8nYrO7yA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bailey's and vodka sounds awful wtf is wrong with Swedes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS