Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PederP posted:

Compare the difference in punishment for drunk driving and driving with trace amounts of illegal substances (that haven't been affecting the body or brain for days or weeks).

I thought that was struck down due to uncertainties in testing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

That reminds me of the current version the knife law. Since 2016 knives with one-handed opening and/or locking mechanisms are no longer explicitly illegal, which is fine and good. However it also had a "small" change so that even the tiniest pocketknife is illegal to carry, unless you have a valid reason to carry a knife. Even the tiniest, most non-threatening and useless as a weapon Swiss army knife is illegal to carry, unless the cop in question decides he can't be bothered to write you a fine.

Is this bad? I mean, okay probably Swiss army knives aren't used much in crime but having strong laws against carrying knives in general seems reasonable?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crimpolioni posted:

Is this bad? I mean, okay probably Swiss army knives aren't used much in crime but having strong laws against carrying knives in general seems reasonable?
It is the right of every person, even a thrall, to carry a knife.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crimpolioni posted:

"En knivløs mand er en livløs mand."

I've carried a small pocketknife or keyring multitool for most of my life, it's just something that comes in handy for a million little everyday things. Opening packages, slicing apples/sausages/cheese, cutting string, cleaning fingernails, whittling sticks for cooking over open fire, all kinds of random things.

Being stuck trying to cut chorizo with a flimsy plastic knife sucks so much.

Just like the tiny flashlight I have on my keyring, I use it multiple times per week, and I carry it everywhere except for airports, concerts, bars, demonstrations, ie. places where security scrutiny is over the top, or where people are likely to get drunk and/or rowdy.

I've never had anyone comment on it, but I'm also not the type of person to whip out a huge xXxTactical_OperatorxXx type knife and flick it around. It stays in my pocket until it's actually needed for something.

Is knife is a tool, and the amount of exceptions and special cases needed in the law to let people own and use things like kitchen knifes and utility blades should tell you how needlessly strict the law is. Technically, it could be illegal for you to transport a kitchen knife home in your car, if you run too many errands on the same drive, instead of going directly home after having it sharpened at a store.

E: also, tightening the knife laws didn't impact the amount of knife assaults and murders, almost as if people determined to attack other people don't care about a knife ban and knives can be found literally everywhere, by virtue of their utility and necessary presence in normal life.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 9, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

PederP posted:

No. The Danish approach will be to keep any and all drugs criminalized unless EU intervenes and makes it non-optional to legalize to some extent. In that case, we'll get a useless implementation where cannabis will be expensive, highly regulated *and* line the pockets of a small bunch of private sector oligopols.

There's massive opposition to drug decriminalization/legalization throughout the political, administrative and medical system. Medical cannabis is going to take a generation or more to get out of the current useless tarpit. Moving on to decriminalizing addiction or actual recreational use is generations away.

Meanwhile, those same powers-that-be are fighting tooth-and-nail against any attempt to address the harmful juvenile alcohol culture and the high prevalence of alcoholism across social strata. Alcoholism is considered a valid lifestyle choice. Compare the difference in punishment for drunk driving and driving with trace amounts of illegal substances (that haven't been affecting the body or brain for days or weeks).

The hypocrisy is staggering. I'm not a purist out to get alcohol banned - but I find it disgusting how the establishment blatantly lies in favor of the status quo.

:sweden::hf::denmark:

Add smoking/snus. Why should it be legal to profit from selling death by cancer to people and causing enormous costs to society?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potrzebie posted:

:sweden::hf::denmark:

Add smoking/snus. Why should it be legal to profit from selling death by cancer to people and causing enormous costs to society?

I thought smokers was actually a net benefit for the state budget because they kill themselves via cancer and other smoking related health problems before they can enter the really costly age bracket. Basically being productive workers that die at or shortly after retirement. Not sure about the cost of snus users though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, they're a net drain on public finances, they tend to die slowly of cancer, to put it bluntly.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Crimpolioni posted:

Not when those who come up with them are idiots. They implemented mandatory minimums and it almost immediately resulted in a gas station attendant getting a week in jail, because he forgot a box cutter in his car.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

"En knivløs mand er en livløs mand."

I've carried a small pocketknife or keyring multitool for most of my life, it's just something that comes in handy for a million little everyday things. Opening packages, slicing apples/sausages/cheese, cutting string, cleaning fingernails, whittling sticks for cooking over open fire, all kinds of random things.

Being stuck trying to cut chorizo with a flimsy plastic knife sucks so much.

Just like the tiny flashlight I have on my keyring, I use it multiple times per week, and I carry it everywhere except for airports, concerts, bars, demonstrations, ie. places where security scrutiny is over the top, or where people are likely to get drunk and/or rowdy.

I've never had anyone comment on it, but I'm also not the type of person to whip out a huge xXxTactical_OperatorxXx type knife and flick it around. It stays in my pocket until it's actually needed for something.

Is knife is a tool, and the amount of exceptions and special cases needed in the law to let people own and use things like kitchen knifes and utility blades should tell you how needlessly strict the law is. Technically, it could be illegal for you to transport a kitchen knife home in your car, if you run too many errands on the same drive, instead of going directly home after having it sharpened at a store.

E: also, tightening the knife laws didn't impact the amount of knife assaults and murders, almost as if people determined to attack other people don't care about a knife ban and knives can be found literally everywhere, by virtue of their utility and necessary presence in normal life.

Reminds me of a case a few years ago in Norway where a plumber who was on his way home from work were stopped by the police and fined because he had a cheap stanley hanging on his pants. I think he refused to pay, but can't remember exactly what happened in the end. There was also a case of a guy who were stopped by the police for some mundane reason and they found a knife in the glove box of his car and decided he deserved to be fined.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I mean honestly, if people feel threatened by the mere presence of something like this, I'm not sure what to say.

(I inherited it from my grandpa back in '96)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
This is pretty cool. Using genealogy to trace dna back to the suspect.

https://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/banbrytande-metod-bakom-losningen-pa-dubbelmordet-i-linkoping/

DN posted:

Rättsmedicinalverket tog fram en dna-profil ur spår från mördaren som tillvaratagits på brottsplatsen. Profilen laddades sedan upp mot det amerikanska företaget Family tree dna, som säljer dna-tester till hobbysläktforskare.

Körningen genererade ett antal matchningar i form av avlägsna släktingar. Utifrån dem byggde Peter Sjölund släktträd bak till 1700-talet. När rötterna gick ihop vände han håll och forskade framåt tills han fann den misstänkte mördaren. 

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zudgemud posted:

I thought smokers was actually a net benefit for the state budget because they kill themselves via cancer and other smoking related health problems before they can enter the really costly age bracket. Basically being productive workers that die at or shortly after retirement. Not sure about the cost of snus users though.

Haha... ha.

Cancerfonden posted:

Rökning kostar samhället över 31 miljarder kronor varje år, visar en ny rapport. Det motsvarar hela primärvårdens kostnader för alla allmänläkare och sjuksköterskor.

https://www.cancerfonden.se/nyhet/sa-mycket-kostar-rokningen-samhallet

Total tax on tobacco is 11,9 billion sek. (https://www.ekonomifakta.se/fakta/skatter/skattetryck/skatteintakter-per-skatt/)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

Last I heard from a health economist, single, urban uneducated, male smokers are a net benefit, but every other group of smokers is not. It's probably ten year old data though, so it might have changed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In either case, it is dramatically not true here. Cancer is generally not a quick death and neither is lung deficiency

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s a pretty controversial area and obviously highly politicised, but the most comprehensive studies I’ve seen definitely convincingly argues that smokers are among the least expensive groups (that requires you to control for the generally lower social position of smokers as well).

The reason is that the cancers, and especially heart diseases, you get from smoking kills you pretty fast and often right around retirement age. The most expensive group is slim non-smokers, they live a lot longer on average, well past retirement where they no longer (economically) benefit society outside of their consumption, and those are the expensive years, some with full time dementia care for example and a bunch of other normal old age stuff. If we really want to talk about it, then the ideal for society is to have people die just as they retire, as long as their money doesn’t disappear.

Most smart people the health-economics area I’ve talked to, say that in general it’s a stupid argument. Smoking is loving bad for you and your friends and family and neighbours, and that’s why you should stop smoking. Going down the political dumbshit path of “well, achually THIS group is more expensive than THAT group and therefore...” just leads neo-eugenics and denying healthcare to the poor.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Replacing pension with euthanasia is the only economically rational course of action.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Replacing pension with euthanasia is the only economically rational course of action.

That wont be needed if we simply up the retirement age enough!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It’s a pretty controversial area and obviously highly politicised, but the most comprehensive studies I’ve seen definitely convincingly argues that smokers are among the least expensive groups (that requires you to control for the generally lower social position of smokers as well).

The reason is that the cancers, and especially heart diseases, you get from smoking kills you pretty fast and often right around retirement age. The most expensive group is slim non-smokers, they live a lot longer on average, well past retirement where they no longer (economically) benefit society outside of their consumption, and those are the expensive years, some with full time dementia care for example and a bunch of other normal old age stuff. If we really want to talk about it, then the ideal for society is to have people die just as they retire, as long as their money doesn’t disappear.

Most smart people the health-economics area I’ve talked to, say that in general it’s a stupid argument. Smoking is loving bad for you and your friends and family and neighbours, and that’s why you should stop smoking. Going down the political dumbshit path of “well, achually THIS group is more expensive than THAT group and therefore...” just leads neo-eugenics and denying healthcare to the poor.

This have generally been my reading of the research too. We should stop smoking because it is bad for the smoker and people in their proximity, not because it is a financially sound course of action.

Good thing I never argued this because it is a dumb comparison. Please read your own references.

Your own reference posted:

En svensk studie från 1991 visar att
sjukvårdskostnaderna för rökare visserligen var högre än för icke-rökare under deras
livstid, men att de sjukvårdskostnader som i slutet av livet föll bort på grund av den kortare
livstiden bland rökare raderade ut skillnaden mellan rökare och icke-rökare. Författarna
menade också att rökningsrelaterade dödsfall resulterade i stora besparingar i termer av
outbetalda pensionspengar, vilka översteg rökares överutnyttjande av exempelvis sjuk- och
aktivitetsersättning. Författarna argumenterade också att rökare bidrog med betydande
belopp till statskassan genom den tobaksskatt de betalade genom livet [33]. Studien visade
alltså att rökning skulle kunna leda till minskade samhällskostnader ur ett
incidensperspektiv, vilket skiljer sig från resultatet från denna studie som räknar på
kostnader för rökare under ett års tid och inte över rökares hela livslängd.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

So bring back Ättestupan?
The English term is apparently ritual senicide, which is a word I didn't know I needed, but here we are.
Oh, and Covid19 is actually resolving this issue for society. :v:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
This calculus only makes sense if you put the value of a year of pleb life at zero tho. Which I'm sure some people do!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They're gonna turn us into bio batteries sooner than later. It's the natural way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

THE BAR posted:

They're gonna turn us into bio batteries sooner than later. It's the natural way.

It's a step up from the originally plan which was to turn us into mulch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Alhazred posted:

Oh, they upgraded from slurry at some point, I see?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Alhazred posted:

Ernst’s organic compost formula is made if people! Ernst’s organic compost formula is made if people!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Threadkiller Dog posted:

This calculus only makes sense if you put the value of a year of pleb life at zero tho. Which I'm sure some people do!

I mean, did you see the jillion thinkpieces that came out at the start of the lockdown, where all the liberal think tanks demanded that the government show their work, specifically which monetary value they put on a human life and whether the projected cost exceeded this number?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bwalya Sørensen is a pretty terrible spokesperson in a lot of ways, but goddrat white people have gotten busy telling BLM-DK how to manage their poo poo. Nothing to do with the great momentum they're currently experiencing, of course.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Finally the Palme murder is solved! For some reason I'm reminded of an episode of The Simpsons.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The chief prosecutor for the Palme murder investigation group is named Krister Petersson :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

Bwalya Sørensen is a pretty terrible spokesperson in a lot of ways, but goddrat white people have gotten busy telling BLM-DK how to manage their poo poo. Nothing to do with the great momentum they're currently experiencing, of course.

It bugs the hell out of me, because they (BLM-DK) do a lot of good work and are great at raising awareness about racism, even in Danes that are very stubborn about not seeing it, and they are definitely getting protests going and giving them momentum.

But I really wish Bwalya would get a PR person or something :(

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Amundsen is at it again... no racism in Norway yet media says everyone is a racist while Norway is basically burning and immigrant gangs rape white Norwegians: https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/per-willy-amundsen-langer-ut-mot-norsk-presse-i-et-facebook-innlegg-1.15049209

I really have no words for how insane I find this even as a white immigrant. This is an ex-minister of Justice in frickin' Norway. The comments on his FB are even more depressing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

abske_fides posted:

I really have no words for how insane I find this even as a white immigrant. This is an ex-minister of Justice in frickin' Norway. The comments on his FB are even more depressing.

Well, the thing about that is he's probably not the worst ex-minister of justice when it comes to opinions like that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Randarkman posted:

Well, the thing about that is he's probably not the worst ex-minister of justice when it comes to opinions like that.

To be fair, the list of racist former DoJ ministers has grown by leaps and bounds the last decade, so them one-upping each other to better stand out just makes sense.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

abske_fides posted:

Amundsen is at it again... no racism in Norway yet media says everyone is a racist while Norway is basically burning and immigrant gangs rape white Norwegians: https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/per-willy-amundsen-langer-ut-mot-norsk-presse-i-et-facebook-innlegg-1.15049209

quote:

Han mener at når mediene fokuserer mye på rasisme kan det gjøre problemet større i seg selv.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

To be fair, the list of racist former DoJ ministers has grown by leaps and bounds the last decade few months, so them one-upping each other to better stand out just makes sense.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I wonder if other criminals can get police protection to the tune of hundreds of millions while racking up charges.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/krimi/2020-06-11-rasmus-paludan-tiltalt-for-14-forhold

Edit:

51% don't think racism is a widespread problem.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2020-06-12-racisme-er-ikke-et-udbredt-problem-i-danmark-mener-halvdelen-i-ny-undersoegelse

Edit #2:

Government opening the door for making emergency COVID-19 legislation permanent despite sundown clause. Minister refuses to answer questions.

https://www.berlingske.dk/politik/centrering-af-magt-hos-regeringen-skulle-vaere-midlertidig-nu-aabner

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 12, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Wellcome to Gotland Plague Island this summer everyone! Especially norwegians!

Half of Stockholm will be there too so feel free to mingle thoroughly.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
You just reminded me Dead Island 2 is being released this year (same as the previous 5 years).

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Bard is such a pseudointellectual piece of poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is "whitesplaining" a term? I feel like it should be.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Who is Alexander Bard and what is a "shamanoid"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Who is Alexander Bard and what is a "shamanoid"?

A personified shambles?