Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well maybe if they have someone else to blame it on they'll actually do something worthwhile about it

Saw a thing today that said that British citizens are the most dissatisfied with their government's response to covid, at -15 net approval. We're second at -12 but tied for first is Mexico, I haven't heard anything about how the virus is going there, they have 13k deaths but that's at the top of the second tier of fatalities by country. Something else going on?

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anti-AMLO in general from what I've seen, doesn't looks like things are happening very efficiently down there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jeremyphoward/status/1269995211817713666

Good job, idiots. At some point, voters are going to have to come around to the fact that the GOP cannot competently govern.

i say swears online posted:

anti-AMLO in general from what I've seen, doesn't looks like things are happening very efficiently down there

Maybe they just don't like presidents down there

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Good job, idiots. At some point, voters are going to have to come around to the fact that the GOP cannot competently govern.

says the increasingly nervous man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cassi_pollock/status/1270002801121406978

Just lmao

Well, as chair of the GOP caucus in the house Burrows will have a real chance to...wait, what's that? Why not? Oh. Oh god.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The graph is going the wrong direction, but I wouldn't call it "bad" necessarily. Hospitalizations are up, but are we close to capacity, in either ICU beds or ventilators? The whole point of shutting down wasn't to get to zero, but to "flatten the curve" so that hospitals weren't overwhelmed. If they're not being overwhelmed, then it doesn't seem all that dire.

Compare us to, say, Arizona, where ICUs *are* at capacity, and hospitalizations are still rising, so there's much greater risk of needless death due to overcapacity over there.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They aren't overwhelmed *yet*. Only a small percentage of Texans got Covid. If everything is opened up and a lot of people have given up on distancing we will get right back to where we were headed before we locked down. Hopefully the hospitals at least have enough vents and PPE now, but nothing fundamentally changed to prevent us from needing to continue to flatten the curve. It's going to get bad because this time most people aren't going to accept being locked back down.

Property tax chat: we won't need to worry about raising taxes if all the cities defund the police!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

saintonan posted:

The graph is going the wrong direction, but I wouldn't call it "bad" necessarily. Hospitalizations are up, but are we close to capacity, in either ICU beds or ventilators? The whole point of shutting down wasn't to get to zero, but to "flatten the curve" so that hospitals weren't overwhelmed. If they're not being overwhelmed, then it doesn't seem all that dire.

Compare us to, say, Arizona, where ICUs *are* at capacity, and hospitalizations are still rising, so there's much greater risk of needless death due to overcapacity over there.

There's no reason to think that spike will start to go back down again, since restrictions are getting looser and not tighter, which means hospital overruns are probably coming in a few weeks with no intervention.

Anecdotally (in Dallas) mask wearing went from like 80% a month ago to 50/50 now, from my experience going out and about. Most people here think it's over.

Also I'm seeing TV ads with the tone "now that things are going back to normal..." a LOT and it's making me nervous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roughly half of the ICU beds in the state are occupied.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremyphoward/status/1269995211817713666

That's not why they were elected in the first place so it's not like it'll matter much.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Ladies and gentlemen, we must flatten the Brontosaurus curve

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

duz posted:

That's not why they were elected in the first place so it's not like it'll matter much.

It doesnt help that their opposition is also poo poo at it and says things like "why dont police just shoot people in the leg?" During mass protests where police shoot people in the face.

Can we just be allowed to vote for people who dont want us dead instead of bickering about who wants us dead the least? Cause that would be nice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1270067004867821577

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/599182865658736642

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cornyn talking out of both sides of his mouth? Why I never.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The physical damage to people is bad, but my mind keeps darting to the financial cost as well, because so many people are going to be saddled with unmanageable medical debt during a recession when they might be unemployed, wages are down if they are, and the economy freezing has just eliminated a fortune of abstract financial assets from existence.

Because basically the worst thing you could do when a pandemic is ravaging a population and stalling the economy is help the pandemic ravage the population more and then stall the economy more by sticking with a for-profit medical system. Just really make sure people are made as financially insecure as possible and really do your best to stop money from circulating ever again.

zoux posted:

Sadly many of the democrats aspire to a similar level of incompetence because competence is too dangerously radical for a national-level party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, at least we'll know if the accelerationists were right or not

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1270073120171442176?s=21

This happened in March last year

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Holy loving poo poo killed for not dimming his brights.

No poo poo he ran from the cops, he knew they would loving kill him.

Williamson County better enter the cool zone something fierce.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Potentially tone deaf question: how have things been on the ground in San Antonio and Dallas? I'm driving to the former tomorrow for work reasons and my wife's heading to Dallas the day after for the same reason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

Potentially tone deaf question: how have things been on the ground in San Antonio and Dallas? I'm driving to the former tomorrow for work reasons and my wife's heading to Dallas the day after for the same reason.

Both cities are smoking piles of rubble. Bring cash with you to pay off the roving gangs of bandits and highwaymen.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

PostNouveau posted:

Both cities are smoking piles of rubble. Bring cash with you to pay off the roving gangs of bandits and highwaymen.

Ah, so like here in Austin during SXSW. Gotcha.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

As long as you're not a pane of glass to be fitted into the downtown Whataburger next to the convention center, I think you'll be fine.

The hailstorms two weeks ago did infinitely more property damage than any looters. The most "violent" any of the San Antonio protests got were some dumbass kids Instagramming themselves smashing out the windows at that downtown Whataburger, and the next day the cops teargassed a crowd and and shot some reporters with wooden bullets because someone allegedly threw a (plastic!) bottle. That was a week ago, everything I've seen and read in the meantime suggests that protests in San Antonio have been entirely peaceful since then.

You should probably be more concerned about facemask wearing, since I've noticed an uptick in people not bothering with masks in the last week. I had a coworker that went to Corpus for Memorial Day weekend and said that absolutely nobody was wearing a mask, I think some of the beachgoers that week brought that mindset back to San Antonio.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Having returned to the office for work, I have now given in to all of us getting Covid-19 by the end of summer. Masks are only encouraged if you "can't socially distance," which means be 6 feet apart. Practically no one wears masks in the hallways or any other place where you would definitely expect to pass someone within 3 feet. They removed the chairs from the break rooms so people have decided to bring in extra chairs to eat in conference rooms.

I guess this is expected in the oil industry where practically everyone lives in a suburb surrounded by a bunch of open 'er up types.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Last night, to escape the carnage of this open air asylum of Neo-Houston, the right and rich secretly used banned chaos-frakking techniques to steal entire sections of the metro-area. Sliding them out into the Gulf on an impossibly vast oil slick, such floating towns were fortified into floating (and gated) salt doom dome communities.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Roumba posted:

Last night, to escape the carnage of this open air asylum of Neo-Houston, the right and rich secretly used banned chaos-frakking techniques to steal entire sections of the metro-area. Sliding them out into the Gulf on an impossibly vast oil slick, such floating towns were fortified into floating (and gated) salt doom dome communities.

I like the attention to detail to the local geography you included in your world building. Really establishes a vivid mise-en-scène.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Texas Politics: Every Kevin Costner Movie at Once

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Central_Track/status/1270410460437843969

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Blotto_Otter posted:

As long as you're not a pane of glass to be fitted into the downtown Whataburger next to the convention center, I think you'll be fine.

The hailstorms two weeks ago did infinitely more property damage than any looters. The most "violent" any of the San Antonio protests got were some dumbass kids Instagramming themselves smashing out the windows at that downtown Whataburger, and the next day the cops teargassed a crowd and and shot some reporters with wooden bullets because someone allegedly threw a (plastic!) bottle. That was a week ago, everything I've seen and read in the meantime suggests that protests in San Antonio have been entirely peaceful since then.

You should probably be more concerned about facemask wearing, since I've noticed an uptick in people not bothering with masks in the last week. I had a coworker that went to Corpus for Memorial Day weekend and said that absolutely nobody was wearing a mask, I think some of the beachgoers that week brought that mindset back to San Antonio.

Oh i'm not worried about riots or any stupid poo poo like that - i meant more road closures and the like to get where we're going.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Oh i'm not worried about riots or any stupid poo poo like that - i meant more road closures and the like to get where we're going.

It's possible they closed off some surface streets downtown due to protests, so if you're staying in a downtown hotel then you might want to give them a call before you arrive and ask if parking or street access to your hotel is affected. Otherwise no, it's pretty much business as usual in San Antonio, just with somewhat less traffic.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Floyd being buried about 15 minutes from where I grew up, in Northern Brazoria County. Metaphorical for the change up this way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never wished I was in Texas before y'all

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

citybeatnik posted:

Pearland was blocked off most of the day.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It would have been completely superfluous but also nice if they had taken a detour through Santa Fe, which was a sundown town into the 1990s.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

This poo poo made my week thank you for posting it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think we all have this image in our minds of young people in rural texas being largely unaffected by the social upheaval of the last couple decades and i'm wondering how valid that actually is. maybe they're all juggalos now

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Roumba posted:

I... I think I'm in love with you.

i say swears online posted:

i think we all have this image in our minds of young people in rural texas being largely unaffected by the social upheaval of the last couple decades and i'm wondering how valid that actually is. maybe they're all juggalos now

Juggalos were around in the '90s Angleton-way, some were my friends. There probably aren't fewer of them now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Juggalos were more midwest. We certainly don't get Faygo down here.

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1270466922342223873

That is less than half of the state's total ICU bed capacity.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 10, 2020

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
They're definitely more midwest, but I saw Faygo in Dallas-area gas stations eight or nine years ago. Those who are down with the clown have worked patiently.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Juggalos are eternal and everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/1270517071625859072

Ow ouch oof my police department