Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

kingturnip posted:

If at least 21k people have liked that insipid piece of poo poo tweet, I think it's clear Labour is using Twitter bots as well

It’s cringeworthy for sure. Would it have been better to not do it? Because a politician kneeling down in support is probably good just as a thing, even with a lot of qualifiers attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Opposing anti-black racism" hurts my head a bit to read.

Like it makes sense but it's a lot more words and negatives than necessary.

Can't wait to hear from the opposing anti black racism critics in the conservative party.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

litearlly none of the people being racist in the report have suffered any kind of punishment

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1270374388488167428?s=20
lol I was going to post earlier about how it was only a matter of time before they made this empty gesture

the loving cheek to claim he stands kneels with "all those opposing anti-black racism" when he literally just condemned as "completely" wrong the people who finally got rid of a statue that glorified a racist, sparking a national conversation that will hopefully lead to other racist monuments going in fairly short order

at least have the honesty to say "some of those opposing anti-black racism, as long as they're not too rude about it and take their grievances through the proper channels even if they've already been trying that for years and not achieved anything"

like he'll probably have the gall to praise any actual positive outcome of this moment in history without reflecting on how we actually got there. e.g. if the statue of rhodes comes down, or the review by labour councils of their statues brings anything down, that will be great because it was done properly, but the fact that nothing has been done about them for decades until someone ripped that first piece of poo poo off his plinth themselves will obviously never be credited to the people doing it who were 100% totally wrong

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone put him in a blender ffs

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1270414625868259329?s=20

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jose posted:

litearlly none of the people being racist in the report have suffered any kind of punishment

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1270374388488167428?s=20

Whoa the Sapphire & Steel reboot looks creepy as gently caress

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'll wager that This is bad news for Jeremy Corbyn.

Yes lol, but I don't remember Blair specifically dunking that policy because it would actually fit in with his politics - make it national infrastructure like water and rail to help small businesses (and then privatise it again to help large ones).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Imagine if Graham Linehan's reaction to being questioned on lovely thing in his old shows was as reasonable as Matt Lucas's here? Okay, I don't think black face was actually acceptable when this show was on either, but at least he's not gotten completely broken by the mild criticism.
I'm just imagining someone ranting on twitter that Black people aren't real and they're all just white people wearing blackface now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

#boropride

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1270415086792966146?s=19

Another statue down

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1270414663965081600

wow if they change the name of this university building because the people at the university don't like it then they'll obliterate gladstone's memory from history, just *poof* and it's suddenly "william ewart who?"

tragic

e: also, this is another example of someone people might not know was an utter piece of poo poo and now people are learning more about him. You'd think the people with such a hard on for history would be pretty excited about that!

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 9, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1270414663965081600

wow if they change the name of this university building because the people at the university don't like it then they'll obliterate gladstone's memory from history, just *poof* and it's suddenly "william ewart who?"

tragic

https://twitter.com/paul_tyndale/status/1270416824379879429

I literally burst out laughing.

God gammons are so loving fragile it's absurd.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

These are great.

The more of them I see though, the more I worry that the response in a month to requests for defunding of the police, refunding of social programmes, housing etc, and general removal of racist bullshit from the system will be 'but we took down the statues that killed racism what more do you want'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

This is perfection. I want to kiss this tweet it's so good. Cannot tell if it's real or parody.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So a friend of mine who works in non-essential retail was told to go back to work this week, having been on furlough on 80% salary for months.

This relaxation of the lockdown is just loving excellent from this government innit? The buses and trains and the tube are like 50% full of people, likewise all the non-essential retail. This is more than enough to ensure that all of the workers will definitely get the coronavirus, while at the same time being nowhere near enough to make sure companies that need those shoppers can actually remain solvent.

Like, I can't even imagine a worse loving policy than this poo poo. Could you even do worse than this if you tried?

While half of the population is both able and willing to stay the gently caress home, the other half isn't, so you kinda need the government to actually do something to coordinate this poo poo or else you just end up with a million dead and also at the same time all the companies bankrupt and the economy in loving ashes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

thespaceinvader posted:

These are great.

The more of them I see though, the more I worry that the response in a month to requests for defunding of the police, refunding of social programmes, housing etc, and general removal of racist bullshit from the system will be 'but we took down the statues that killed racism what more do you want'.

p sure we have less riot-capable cops than individual US states so it'll be super funny when the furlough scheme stops being enough for the majority to live on, nobody goes back to work, and the tories try "piss off" again

jaete posted:

While half of the population is both able and willing to stay the gently caress home, the other half isn't, so you kinda need the government to actually do something to coordinate this poo poo or else you just end up with a million dead and also at the same time all the companies bankrupt and the economy in loving ashes.

25% of kids have returned to school, as the guardian put it. 75% have not, as you or I understand it.

There is absolutely no appetite to return to "the economy" and the media constantly flipping between "we're all probably immune" and "you will all die" has done enormous psychological damage to our relationship with the state. When the numbers explode in a fortnight, people are not going to work and nobody will make them. The government are doing reasonably well at laying the groundwork for "it's all the fault of these an teefa typhoid talibans" but we'll see how that goes.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 9, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Necrothatcher posted:

So are they going to get that Rhodes statue down then? Seems a bit trickier than Colston.

Too high, a result of his desire to have himself placed literally above King and Church.

Relatedly, the Beeb have somehow failed to mention his commitment to anti-racism criticism:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

But if we pull down all the statues of 19th century imperialist slavers what on Earth do we put up instead? A statue of a teacher or postman?! It’s madness beyond belief

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm sure there's various mixtures of chemicals than can destroy stone either quickly or rapidly.

Going to be interesting to see what will take the place on these various plinths - I liked the idea posted earlier ITT about a protester. Probably just end up statues of NHS heroes in full PPE of course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most things that attack stone I think would have to be stuff you can't store in glass bottles, which is usually rather nasty chemistry and also difficult because of course you can't use any glassware.

Depends on the stone of course, but anything designed to stay in the open outside is likely to be fairly acid resistant.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Most things that attack stone I think would have to be stuff you can't store in glass bottles, which is usually rather nasty chemistry and also difficult because of course you can't use any glassware.

Depends on the stone of course, but anything designed to stay in the open outside is likely to be fairly acid resistant.

Hmm, what about just defacing the statue noticeably? Could maybe get away with a much smaller dose of nasty stuff?

Is there any chemical that dyes stone red? Asking, uh, for a friend

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hydrofluoric acid I think is the most common silica attacking compound but you'd probably need to dunk the statue in a giant vat of it for a while rather than just pour it on.

Dye is harder because you'd either need to get it into the pores in the stone (which means it can be washed out again) or you'd need to actually convert the stone into another, coloured substance, like I dunno, some sort of transition metal/silica compound?

Like I'm not a chemist but IMO the likelihood of having a magic chemical that just converts or dissolves stone into something else in small quantities seems pretty low, otherwise it'd probably have industrial uses already.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 9, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1270326461422088194

Ah, that famous 1,200 year old nation-state... England (not a state)... The United Kingdom (neither a nation nor 1,200 years old)... Great Britain (none of the above).

gently caress me they don't even know what it is they're supposedly governing.

Jel Shaker posted:

But if we pull down all the statues of 19th century imperialist slavers what on Earth do we put up instead? A statue of a teacher or postman?! It’s madness beyond belief
It at the least says they don't have any interesting artists, scientists, activists, or humanitarians from the area.

Like if you can't find one Civil Rights leader (Bristol had at least half a dozen from the bus boycotts), inventor (Bristol had Vernon Charley who invented Ribena, or Sir Alfred Pugsley who made the Spitfire structural profile if you want to get all :britain:), or decent poet (Hannah More was an abolitionist writer) to take the place of the rich guys that owned people statue, then you're basically admitting you're a cultural void.

justcola posted:

I'm sure there's various mixtures of chemicals than can destroy stone either quickly or rapidly.
There are, but they all do the same to people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Gossip time, but Natalie Rowe is making noises about revealing who "Mr Twist" from her autobiography is:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270402225156866061

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270421736027295751

Note that she's done this before, teasing that she'll reveal who he is, but this time she's offered some rather more specific hints (in particular that he's knighted and a media owner rather than just a media figure) than last time that also exclude a couple of the most-guessed suspects from previous teases (including mine), so it's possible that she might be serious this time.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gossip time, but Natalie Rowe is making noises about revealing who "Mr Twist" from her autobiography is:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270402225156866061

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270421736027295751

Note that she's done this before, teasing that she'll reveal who he is, but this time she's offered some rather more specific hints (in particular that he's knighted and a media owner rather than just a media figure) than last time that also exclude a couple of the most-guessed suspects from previous teases (including mine), so it's possible that she might be serious this time.

Um is she suggesting it’s George Floyd?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

lol

also this led me onto something that I'm not sure about (via a gammon tweet claiming the police horse that brained the animal riding it on a traffic light, had died)

https://twitter.com/ThinBluePaw/status/1270106779784003584

https://twitter.com/K9Finn/status/1270415903780372486

https://twitter.com/K9Finn/status/1270414240176898048

on the one hand, I'm obviously not pro-animal cruelty* and a six month maximum sentence does seem low, but on the other I'm not massively comfortable with labour politicians pushing for sending more people to prison for longer in general, and although they're framing it here as regarding pets etc. these accounts pushing it are police officers with police animals who've managed to get self-defence against a police animal outlawed, and it seems like prosecuting someone for kicking a dog that's biting them just because it was trained to bite people by a police officer is not good?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/15/section/1

* apart from eating meat and my ambivalence towards police animals getting hurt by people acting in self defence, obviously

e: it should be noted that the finn in question was stabbed with a knife by someone, which is obviously bad and wrong, but the way the law has been amended seems to outlaw anything that might cause suffering to a service animal as long as it's "under control", which seems nebulous enough that it could cover all sorts of things that are more defensible

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 9, 2020

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

jaete posted:

This relaxation of the lockdown is just loving excellent from this government innit? The buses and trains and the tube are like 50% full of people, likewise all the non-essential retail. This is more than enough to ensure that all of the workers will definitely get the coronavirus, while at the same time being nowhere near enough to make sure companies that need those shoppers can actually remain solvent.

Like, I can't even imagine a worse loving policy than this poo poo. Could you even do worse than this if you tried?

I went back to work slightly earlier than other retail workers (builders warehouse is more essential I guess) and other than supplying PPE they're doing uh, basically none of the poo poo they said they would in terms of limiting customers. It feels like there's this pervasive idea of Let's Get Back To Normal, Stop Messing About as if a virus is somehow going to be deterred by a stiff upper lip.

I'm scared! It loving sucks!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

What's a Mr Twist? Is it a chocolate bar?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Although on chemistry to attack stone statues, you might be able to use thermite on the feet to melt through the stone? That would work on brozne at least, and setting a batch of thermite alight on them could be done by a single person overnight.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Replace it with one of Ted Johns in his vest and braces, IMO. LBTH have been pretty good about commemorating other figures (naming one of their offices after Jack Dash was a particularly nice move and is still successfully trolling Tories 20 years later) but Ted so far hasn't got any more than a plaque.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

on the one hand, I'm obviously not pro-animal cruelty* and a six month maximum sentence does seem low, but on the other I'm not massively comfortable with labour politicians pushing for sending more people to prison for longer in general, and although they're framing it here as regarding pets etc. these accounts pushing it are police officers with police animals who've managed to get self-defence against a police animal outlawed, and it seems like prosecuting someone for kicking a dog that's biting them just because it was trained to bite people by a police officer is not good?
Yeah police dogs go off course and bite the wrong people all the time, and even 7th level Vegans believe it's okay to defend yourself against an animal that's currently attacking you, regardless of who it's purported owner is. Making dangerous dog owner laws apply to police would be better than making police dogs and horses supercitizens.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Although on chemistry to attack stone statues, you might be able to use thermite on the feet to melt through the stone? That would work on brozne at least, and setting a batch of thermite alight on them could be done by a single person overnight.

That's probably enough to get you done under some anti-terror legislation though right? That is, of you manage not to ignite yourself

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Currently packaging up an inordinate amount of fudge for the various wonderful folk who have ordered. There is a literal wall of fudge forming in my lounge.

Bob is supervising and being Suspicious (any unusual activity obviously means we’re going to run off and leave him forever, or alternatively take him to the vet). Digby meanwhile has vanished behind the kitchen units, and we can hear him licking the back of one of the cupboards. That boy’s a bit special sometimes.

Have a Suspicious Bob!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Gladstone thing is a bit weird: he tried to stop the Opium War, was the most popular politician of his time with the working class, introduced voting without your boss knowing how you voted and tried to give Ireland home rule but got hosed over by the House of Lords.

OTOH his dad was a slaver. So, you know, basically Thatcher. Because if there’s one principle that’s truly socialist it’s that the things we personally do with our lives don’t matter compared with who our dads are.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

That's like claiming that Trump making fun of liberals and socialists making fun of liberals are the same thing, but with nationalism.

You can have universal healthcare in a capitalist system. It will keep getting shat up as we see but you can still have it. Same with the main police abolitionist idea of replacing most of the work they do with community action and social services drawn from a very different group of people.

its questionable whether you can tbh, and yeah i don't think we actually have universal healthcare given the disproportionate impact covid alone has had on poor and minority communities in the uk and the weird way NHS funding is distributed by region. even if we say we do actually have universal healthcare, why on earth would e.g. the city of london let you get rid of their attack dogs at all, ever.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's probably enough to get you done under some anti-terror legislation though right? That is, of you manage not to ignite yourself

if you can be absolutely certain that you can have the military walk around with the stuff to use on nazi guns I'm pretty sure it's not a huge self-ignition risk

making a highly reactive chemical agent to destroy a monument probably doesn't even need the newer anti-bus-pass-terrorism laws tho. Now I'm thinking about that lad that got nicked outside Leeds for lefty terrorism the other day, as we discuss this - the only mentioned charges I saw were several counts of looking up timetables of the internet

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

As Chancellor, Gladstone made a speech at Newcastle on 7 October 1862 in which he supported the independence of the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War, claiming that Jefferson Davis had "made a nation". He did not consider slavery a problem. When Gladstone was first elected to Parliament his father owned over 2,500 slaves, and the young man helped his father to obtain full payment for them. Great Britain was officially neutral at the time. Gladstone later regretted the Newcastle speech.
I think you can legitimately inherit some of the sins of your father if you help him get "compensation" for them

and then presumably literally inherit the money from those sins

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

The Gladstone thing is a bit weird: he tried to stop the Opium War, was the most popular politician of his time with the working class, introduced voting without your boss knowing how you voted and tried to give Ireland home rule but got hosed over by the House of Lords.
He mostly opposed the Opium War because he was a big prohie though didn't he? Rather than opposing it because it was a dumb war in support of the East India Company and the prohibition in China could have been lifted peaceably by some careful nudging of the Imperial Court if Palmerston hadn't tripped over his dick in massive self-overestimation as usual.

gh0stpinballa posted:

its questionable whether you can tbh, and yeah i don't think we actually have universal healthcare given the disproportionate impact covid alone has had on poor and minority communities in the uk and the weird way NHS funding is distributed by region. even if we say we do actually have universal healthcare, why on earth would e.g. the city of london let you get rid of their attack dogs at all, ever.
It was universal when it was introduced in a similar way to how suffrage was universal, not ideal and funded by colonialism but a poo poo ton better than what came before.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AlastairMorgan/status/1270306319463931905?s=20

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I worked in Government when they started decommissioning the Brent oil fields, and Hareema had just built the massive boat which could just lift the jacket in one go. They had done the naming ceremony, and we were advised that it was named after the owners father, Pieter Schelte. Noted nazi, and user of Dutch prisoners of war.

Much unease, and worrying followed. We then asked our Minister to ask the owner of Hareema to change its name gentleman to gentleman, and it’s now the Pioneering Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Beefeater1980 posted:

OTOH his dad was a slaver. So, you know, basically Thatcher. Because if there’s one principle that’s truly socialist it’s that the things we personally do with our lives don’t matter compared with who our dads are.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/historical-journal/article/gladstone-and-slavery/AB74EF5C7EC598FE9A82555B46AEBC54 posted:

William Gladstone's views on slavery and the slave trade have received little attention from historians, although he spent much of his early years in parliament dealing with issues related to that subject. His stance on slavery echoed that of his father, who was one of the largest slave owners in the British West Indies, and on whom he was dependent for financial support. Gladstone opposed the slave trade but he wanted to improve the condition of the slaves before they were liberated. In 1833, he accepted emancipation because it was accompanied by a period of apprenticeship for the ex-slaves and by financial compensation for the planters. In the 1840s, his defence of the economic interests of the British planters was again evident in his opposition to the foreign slave trade and slave-grown sugar. By the 1850s, however, he believed that the best way to end the slave trade was by persuasion, rather than by force, and that conviction influenced his attitude to the American Civil War and to British colonial policy. As leader of the Liberal party, Gladstone, unlike many of his supporters, showed no enthusiasm for an anti-slavery crusade in Africa. His passionate commitment to liberty for oppressed peoples was seldom evident in his attitude to slavery.