Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There was also that time Deku's quirk ghosts told him that OfA has already reached a singularity. Which is either why he can use multiple quirks, or it could mean something else down the line, I'm not entirly sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I get what the kids getting stronger thing is all about, but I still have no idea what that has to do with OfA or why AfO accepting the theory is so important to the Doctor.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That's just plain old starvation for validation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Deku gets hit, spends an arc in a deep depression over losing OfA and letting everyone down before resolving to become a hero anyways, ends up having to fight a bunch of villains while quirkless and just when it looks like he's about to die, OfA returns stronger than ever.

*Hori mutters something about OfA can't be erased or transferred, only ever given as he draws more Mirko in the margins*

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

oh jay posted:

Yeah, I get what the kids getting stronger thing is all about, but I still have no idea what that has to do with OfA or why AfO accepting the theory is so important to the Doctor.

We don't know what the First was actually referring to when he talked about the singularity. Its something to do with why Deku can use all the quirks so either its just that OfA has evolved enough now or something about Deku enabled it (coughDad4Allcough).

The doctor was the guy who came up with the singularity theory and everyone except AfO called him a nutter and so, being totally nuts and all, he's helping him destroy the world now.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if anyone's going to get hit with a quirk bullet it's probably going to be Aizawa

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

*reads the first 20 chapters of my hero academia* no clue it’s just another one of my batshit theories haha

Boy I can’t believe Goku’s staff was so pivotal in defeating Majin Buu 300 chapters later

The way they got Oolong to poison him from the inside by making GBS threads was a :master:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 9, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Boy that guy Chad sure did have one humdinger of a character arc

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Boy that guy Chad sure did have one humdinger of a character arc

that guy was sick. did he or the girl ever end up mattering in the long run or was it just the Quincy-Sasuke guy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that guy was sick. did he or the girl ever end up mattering in the long run or was it just the Quincy-Sasuke guy

All three of them wound up in a glorious hat trick of not mattering outside of being glorified plot trinkets for 5 minutes each

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Manga and anime doesn't tend to get fully remade, does it? Because holy poo poo, if anything could do with being rewritten from scratch, it's Bleach.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ah yes, Bakugo's history as a massive bully who made the main characters life a total nightmare until the manga started. Definitely an irrelevant detail that will never be brought up again. Don't know why anyone would consider him becoming quirkless to be dramatic irony or something.

Also Chad is the only character who got to get a good ending by becoming a world famous boxer, even though that was the complete opposite of his entire character arc of hating to hurt people and only doing it to protect others.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kithkar posted:

Another perhaps less satisfying out from the current predicament that Deku finds himself in with Super Shigaraki after him is that while Deku is only at 45% control now, he can still go and throw a punch at 100% if he really needs to. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen him break himself but it’s still an option on the table.

You know, and I know that's not gonna happen when the catchphrase of the series is "Plus Ultra" =P

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

By the end of the series Deku will be fighting at 200%

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Manga and anime doesn't tend to get fully remade, does it? Because holy poo poo, if anything could do with being rewritten from scratch, it's Bleach.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind some kind of Re:Bleach or something, that just ignores everything that happened after the end of Soul Society arc and does it's own thing with that as a starting point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nephthys posted:

Ah yes, Bakugo's history as a massive bully who made the main characters life a total nightmare until the manga started. Definitely an irrelevant detail that will never be brought up again. Don't know why anyone would consider him becoming quirkless to be dramatic irony or something.

Also Chad is the only character who got to get a good ending by becoming a world famous boxer, even though that was the complete opposite of his entire character arc of hating to hurt people and only doing it to protect others.

That was the thought like 150 chapters ago when he got kidnapped, though. He's had character development since then. That character development seems pretty weak in my own opinion and is too little, too late, but the way this reads to me does not support the idea that Bakugo is about to lose his quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of Bakugou's arc is almost certainly going to involve him properly apologizing to Midoriya for what he had done to him in the past.

Question is under what circumstances.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The way they got Oolong to poison him from the inside by making GBS threads was a :master:

You joke, but that seems like the kind of thing Toriyama would do. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You joke, but that seems like the kind of thing Toriyama would do. :v:

I’m pretty sure Toriyama forgot Oolong could shapeshift like he forgot that Lunch even existed. Or at least, I can’t really remember him transforming that much (or doing anything important for that matter) after the original Dragon Ball.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Someone will Shigaraki by telling him sternly to cut it out. It'll work.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Someone will Shigaraki by telling him sternly to cut it out. It'll work.

Truly, Cosgrove's quirk is the most powerful of all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has anyone tried telling him “sit boy” yet?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhonne posted:

I'm starting to worry that the "something" is going to be something crazy like the Japanese government sees things going south and just drop a bomb on the whole battle in an attempt to wipe them all out. Shigaraki gets hosed up and needs time to recover, Gigantomachia gets out relatively unscathed and manages to protect most of the Liberation Army leadership from the explosion, but still lose a significant chunk of their army so they can't immediately retaliate, a bunch of heroes die as well, and Deku goes missing.

I'm not sure if this is an intentional Kingdom Come reference or not.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm not sure if this is an intentional Kingdom Come reference or not.

Not unless Izuku nearly destroys the UN in rage.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Not unless Izuku nearly destroys the UN in rage.

Almost destroys the UN in rage!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nephthys posted:

Don't know why anyone would consider him becoming quirkless to be dramatic irony or something.

And this is why it won't happen. Because despite your inability to accept this, Bakugo's presence in the story isn't to eventually be taken down so that he can lose everything he once had in dramatic irony. His purpose is not to eventually be punished like how you wish your high school bully was. Even ignoring that Horikoshi has gone to great lengths to buck trends when it comes to his atonement and redemption. We've seen that what drove Bakugo was never merely "LOL you have no quirk." It was both an environment that praised him for his natural strength, and Deku's worry for him. Deku showing care and worry for Bakugo in SPITE of his massive strength even as a child caused him to take that worry the completely wrong way, like Deku was looking down on him. We've seen who Bakugo is, someone who's trying his best to emulate All Might and become a hero who can protect everyone. Abrasive, rude, and harsh, he got broken the moment he got into UA and came to realize that he wasn't top poo poo.

Taking away his quirk does nothing to develop his character, It's just "What dramatic irony!" And? He won't understand Deku any better, as Deku never worked out super hard or really devoted himself to the realistic goal of being a hero until meeting All Might, Deku only really started putting in the work once someone told him "You can be a hero." And we won't get any interesting developments as we already have two characters in the story who lost their quirks (All Might, Mirio) and have resolved themselves to keep on going as best they can even if they can never be what they once were.

So not only would we be treading on the very trodden ground, we'd get nothing out of it, rather than "dramatic irony" which isn't a good enough reason to do something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If there's one thing we've seen from t.v. directors from the last decade it's that they're not afraid to aggressively rewrite their show if fans guess future twists ahead of the reveal no matter how much more sense it made originally.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

And this is why it won't happen. Because despite your inability to accept this, Bakugo's presence in the story isn't to eventually be taken down so that he can lose everything he once had in dramatic irony. His purpose is not to eventually be punished like how you wish your high school bully was. Even ignoring that Horikoshi has gone to great lengths to buck trends when it comes to his atonement and redemption. We've seen that what drove Bakugo was never merely "LOL you have no quirk." It was both an environment that praised him for his natural strength, and Deku's worry for him. Deku showing care and worry for Bakugo in SPITE of his massive strength even as a child caused him to take that worry the completely wrong way, like Deku was looking down on him. We've seen who Bakugo is, someone who's trying his best to emulate All Might and become a hero who can protect everyone. Abrasive, rude, and harsh, he got broken the moment he got into UA and came to realize that he wasn't top poo poo.

Taking away his quirk does nothing to develop his character, It's just "What dramatic irony!" And? He won't understand Deku any better, as Deku never worked out super hard or really devoted himself to the realistic goal of being a hero until meeting All Might, Deku only really started putting in the work once someone told him "You can be a hero." And we won't get any interesting developments as we already have two characters in the story who lost their quirks (All Might, Mirio) and have resolved themselves to keep on going as best they can even if they can never be what they once were.

So not only would we be treading on the very trodden ground, we'd get nothing out of it, rather than "dramatic irony" which isn't a good enough reason to do something.

I think you may be assigning more baggage to me than is warranted or that I've expressed and assuming an awful lot about me. None of us actually know what is going to happen in the next run of chapters, not even you, but the general feeling is that something pretty bad and story-shaping is going to happen. Currently the ones being set up for this fight are Shigaraki vs Endeavor, Deku, Bakugo and whoever it is thats following the latter two (likely either Shoto or Uraraka). Of those people Endeavor dying or being re-quirked just feels too obvious and his story seems unfinished, Deku is the main character so he's probably safe and the mystery guest eating it after jumping in would be pretty cheap. So Bakugo seems like the one in the most danger right now, narratively speaking.

Now thematically, yeah you can complain about it if you want but I was actually just stating a fact that him getting his quirk stolen in the fight with the guy who already tried to steal his quirk once would be ironic considering his history. I'm not like, weepingly praying for it to happen or something lol, but saying theres no reason it would ever happen is just wrong as hell. If it does happen though I do think it would be quite different from the examples you mentioned for a few reasons. Firstly Bakugo wouldn't just accept his quirk being stolen and wait on the sidelines like the ones you mentioned. So I think it would be pretty different from that standpoint, but it would also give Deku a personal and compelling reason to want to track Shigaraki down and defeat him beyond the obvious hero stuff.

Who knows, maybe he'll just die instead. I don't think we should make definitive statements about how an ongoing arc will go but speculating is fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fabricated posted:

Part of Bakugou's arc is almost certainly going to involve him properly apologizing to Midoriya for what he had done to him in the past.

Question is under what circumstances.

"Goodbye Kirishima, Kaminari...and even you, Deku..."

*Bakugou releases his full power as he violently explodes to end Shigaraki once and for all, only for Shigaraki to immediately regenerate*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

If there's one thing we've seen from t.v. directors from the last decade it's that they're not afraid to aggressively rewrite their show if fans guess future twists ahead of the reveal no matter how much more sense it made originally.

Or if their editor tells them to do that, which is very probably the case here.

It's also why Bakugo won't get depowered.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Endeavor getting merc'd or depowered is way more likely because his story is unfinished. Him trying to redeem himself and ultimately not managing to finish the job would be both shocking and poignant and would change a lot of the established dynamics.

The way events have been emphasized, especially in the last few chapters, I don't really regard Bakugo losing his quirk as even a possibility. They've "softened" his character, but not in a very dramatic way. Most of his "development" is offscreen, forcing the viewer to infer minor changes in demeanor between appearances. Him being relatively chill in the last couple of chapters has also felt weirdly unmotivated. That's not me complaining about Bakugo, that's me saying that if Hori's going to take his quirk away, it would make far more sense to commit to either Bakugo at the very least understanding why his behavior sucked and potentially working to make amends at some indeterminate point in the future or the opposite road of keeping his hubris to the maximum so his character has some real distance to fall from such an event. Walking some weird middle path here kneecaps both potential emotional responses.

Also, again, we've been down this path. It's repetitive.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Bakugo losing his power and then getting a new power that was more support-necessary like healing would be funny and interesting, but I also don't know how that'd dovetail into the metaphysics of the universe as we know it right now.

Also, yeah, feels like Endeavor dying would increase the instability of the world more and create new storylines, since there's less of a clear #2 after Endeavor than there was under All-Might and it would make people get really panicky.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Bakugo losing his power and then getting a new power that was more support-necessary like healing would be funny and interesting, but I also don't know how that'd dovetail into the metaphysics of the universe as we know it right now.

Also, yeah, feels like Endeavor dying would increase the instability of the world more and create new storylines, since there's less of a clear #2 after Endeavor than there was under All-Might and it would make people get really panicky.

what are you talking about, Hawks is right there

ah, I see

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Endeavour being depowered, either by a bullet or the kind of injury that All Might sustained, would rob the world of another top tier hero, but also rob him of everything he worked to achieve, while also giving him the chance to grow as a person and continue his arc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

what are you talking about, Hawks is right there

ah, I see

Depending on how bad the Gigantomachia fight goes, and if Wash gets dusted or not, the only remaining/intact top 10 hero might be Ryukyu.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gang Orca moving back up!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
even one-armed Mirko's good enough to claim spots 1-10 by herself

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Hard to see Endeavor de-quirked or killed since he's the only one who can fight super nomu or even engage Shigaraki right now, and it's too early for Deku and Bakugo to take them on. More likely this ends with all the top heroes in hospital, and Shigaraki makes his debut to the world as the new symbol of terror. Arc ends with everyone in panic but not full-blown civil war yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

even one-armed Mirko's good enough to claim spots 1-10 by herself

Everyone else dies, this is now the Mirko and Mina Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Due to everyone else being dead or injured, the next #1 hero will be...Eraserhead!?