Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lt. Lizard posted:

As someone who never owned any console outside of PC and heard a lot of good things about Persona series in the past, do those games still hold up?

No because the transphobia is far less excusable nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To be clear I don't want to fire up a debate here. If you use epic that's cool, I don't mind. It's like the gamepass thing for me - I refuse to rent my games (ffxiv being the exception) so I won't do it.

More importantly if you use uplay, if you have 100 uplay coins you can get a 20% discount coupon that stacks with sales. It's how I got Far Cry 5+New Dawn and AssCreed Odyssey for stupid low prices, and I recommend you check that out if you like the ubisoft franchises.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lt. Lizard posted:

As someone who never owned any console outside of PC and heard a lot of good things about Persona series in the past, do those games still hold up?

No. Play the many better written and mechanically designed titles we've already had first. (lookin' at you, Trails of Cold Steel)

edit: also, none of this is exaggerated

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1270445297169240076

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 9, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Serephina posted:

I really have no idea what the appeal of Satisfactory is, other than its shiny gfx maybe.

Every video makes it seem like someone tried to distill Grind down to its most potent essence, and make it a means unto itself. You harvest resources and do a shitton of busywork in order to... unlock the next stage of busywork? It's like all the bad parts of a crafting minigame with no end result of having a completed doodad to help you in your actually fun main game.

What is busywork for you is the 'main' game for a lot of people. I have a crew of friends who are super into these kinds of games and all of them are engineers. Factorio, Minecraft, Space Engineers, Oxygen Not Included, Satisfactory, Kerbal Space Program etc. Often these kinds of games have some sort of super thing to build to 'win' the game, but I find the people who get really into them make their own goals as they play.

I sometimes get into these games in a big way (ONI and Factorio) but often I'm too burned out from work to put that much thought into a video game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This might be the saddest humble bundle I have ever seen:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/plug-in-digital-and-dear-villagers-games

1$
Impulsion
AWAY
Splasher
Strikers Edge

BTA
Mana Spark
Roof Rage
Streets of Red
Old School Musical

11$
Hover
Dead in Vinland
Sherlock Holmes Devil's Daughter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just get Splasher and then go back to the itchio bundle

splasher is excellent

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Persona 4 holds up. Persona 3 is a little rougher around the edges.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How's Civ Beyond Earth these days? I remember Firaxis kinda dropping it relatively fast for some reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Persona 5 was my GOTY when it came out but that tweet doesn’t mention it which is concerning

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

How's Civ Beyond Earth these days? I remember Firaxis kinda dropping it relatively fast for some reason.

They did not meaningfully fix the problems with it and it didn't ever really crop up a mod scene to do it either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Still a shapeless, broken mess. There were some updates with the DLC but it remains incredibly shallow and soulless.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Persona 5 was my GOTY when it came out but that tweet doesn’t mention it which is concerning

They've got to release at least two more console versions before it can come to PC.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That's too bad, I'm in the mood for a chill game like Alpha Centauri but too many of them seem focused more on war than diplomacy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Welp Persona 3/4 coming to PC is two less reasons to keep my PS3 around. Just gotta hope that the Demons Souls remaster is real and not exclusive to PS5.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

StrixNebulosa posted:

1$
Impulsion
AWAY
Splasher
Strikers Edge

BTA
Mana Spark
Roof Rage
Streets of Red
Old School Musical

11$
Hover
Dead in Vinland

splasher and impulsion both look pretty cool for a buck. of course, both of these could be in the itch.io bundle for all i know lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was gonna get the itch.io bundle but the lack of steam keys means I will forget about every single thing in the bundle as soon as I close the browser window. I am way too used to launching all my games from a launcher.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nthing the praise for the C&C remake. It holds up amazingly well.

An interesting facet of it is that it's actually simplistic and fast-paced enough (a lot of the missions can be done in under 15 minutes) to serve asa "my first rts", so I'd also recommend it to anyone looking to get into the genre for the first time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have just been adding them as non-steam games

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Lt. Lizard posted:

Depends: do you like RPGs that let you explore and do the plot at your own pace? Modern Persona games don't really let you do that, you're on an escalator the whole time with your only choices being who you hang out with to boost your stats or when you want to go dungeon-crawling. I actually ended up quitting 3 twice just because waiting for it to let me do stuff toward the end got so tiresome. 4 is a bit less aggravating about it but if you finish the dungeons early you can't advance the plot early since it's designed to only do that at a set in-game date.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

i have just been adding them as non-steam games

I play stuff across two computers so managing that on both rapidly turns to a pain in the rear end. Most launchers also do cloud saving, which is great for me. I can play something on my desktop at home and pick right up on my laptop at work.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Welp Persona 3/4 coming to PC is two less reasons to keep my PS3 around. Just gotta hope that the Demons Souls remaster is real and not exclusive to PS5.

With the nier remaster coming out eventually my ps3 will just be a metal gear solid device.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Justin_Brett posted:

I actually ended up quitting 3 twice just because waiting for it to let me do stuff toward the end got so tiresome. 4 is a bit less aggravating about it but if you finish the dungeons early you can't advance the plot early since it's designed to only do that at a set in-game date.
Honestly that's mostly just 3 having colossally poo poo pacing throughout.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Serephina posted:

I really have no idea what the appeal of Satisfactory is, other than its shiny gfx maybe.

Every video makes it seem like someone tried to distill Grind down to its most potent essence, and make it a means unto itself. You harvest resources and do a shitton of busywork in order to... unlock the next stage of busywork? It's like all the bad parts of a crafting minigame with no end result of having a completed doodad to help you in your actually fun main game.

The name is in the title - it's in the satisfaction of having built a complicated, smooth-running factory, all by yourself. If you don't have that drive, and really need an end goal in your sandbox, hey, that's fine, it's not for you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

With the nier remaster coming out eventually my ps3 will just be a metal gear solid device.

God drat it Konami, do something right and hire someone to port the Metal Gear games to PC/current consoles (and maybe fix the controls for 2&3 so it's not reliant on analogue face buttons that none of the current controllers have)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was gonna get the itch.io bundle but the lack of steam keys means I will forget about every single thing in the bundle as soon as I close the browser window. I am way too used to launching all my games from a launcher.
itch.io has it's own launcher. It's understandable if you don't want yet another launcher in addition to Steam, but it's not like you have to manage all the files manually.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The tweet is gone. What did it say? I infer P3 and 4, but anything else?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

port Folklore to PCs, you cowards

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

StrixNebulosa posted:

1$
Impulsion
AWAY
Splasher
Strikers Edge

BTA
Mana Spark
Roof Rage
Streets of Red
Old School Musical

11$
Hover
Dead in Vinland

decent $1 tier, at least. Splasher is a pretty polished momentum-based platformer (though I wish all the levels weren't in an industrial setting), and Away and Impulsion at least look interesting

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

atholbrose posted:

The tweet is gone. What did it say? I infer P3 and 4, but anything else?

i think 'twas "An Joke"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i think 'twas "An Joke"
there's this though

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1270446578801815553

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Funky Valentine posted:

Honestly that's mostly just 3 having colossally poo poo pacing throughout.

That's true too, but the calendar gameplay does it no favors.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

And this: https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1270453575534153728

https://steamdb.info/app/1113000/subs/

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lord Lambeth posted:

Persona 4 holds up. Persona 3 is a little rougher around the edges.

Tartarus is really boring.

Also all the characters are kind of boring except for Bebe, who I started calling Dildor out of a misplaced Shinchan reference.

And the dog. The dog rules.

Because he's a dog.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

No because the transphobia is far less excusable nowadays.

I only played P5 but there was some homophobic jokes there as well although I didn't interact with those characters much so can't tell how bad it was. I do know it was removed in Persona 5 Royal western ver.

Also P4Golden is a day 1 for me after seeing how good p5 was. One of the best series I never got to play.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ulio posted:

I only played P5 but there was some homophobic jokes there as well although I didn't interact with those characters much so can't tell how bad it was. I do know it was removed in Persona 5 Royal western ver.

Also P4Golden is a day 1 for me after seeing how good p5 was. One of the best series I never got to play.

Yeah I loved P5 and will be hopping on the others as soon as they come to steam. News that the games may be disappointing is troubling but i'll buy them anyway

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I loved P5 and will be hopping on the others as soon as they come to steam. News that the games may be disappointing is troubling but i'll buy them anyway

Ah I always thought or from what I read P4G is considered the best or one of the best along with P5. Many people just bought PStvs to play it on a big screen from Vita. Not sure about P3 but I know p1/p2 are pretty different, p3 is where the modern series kinda got it's template.

One thing for those who never played Persona, but the persona system is one of the best parts of the game. I know this sounds obvious but many persona fans normally try to sell the social aspects of the game which I thought were fine but just good. The persona system and combat is really drat good in 5, I am guessing this has less quality of life changes but still a similar style where you just fuse monsters to create the perfect being.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ulio posted:

Ah I always thought or from what I read P4G is considered the best or one of the best along with P5. Many people just bought PStvs to play it on a big screen from Vita. Not sure about P3 but I know p1/p2 are pretty different, p3 is where the modern series kinda got it's template.

One thing for those who never played Persona, but the persona system is one of the best parts of the game. I know this sounds obvious but many persona fans normally try to sell the social aspects of the game which I thought were fine but just good. The persona system and combat is really drat good in 5, I am guessing this has less quality of life changes but still a similar style where you just fuse monsters to create the perfect being.

To make things short:

To general mainstream gaming audience, most consider Persona 5 to be the best in the series.

To Persona fans most consider Persona 4 to be the best entry.

The reasons being:

- More engaging story
- Less problematic scenes
- Better translation
- Doesn't overstay its welcome
- Story themes are consistent and not poorly executed

For reference I believe Persona 5 is the best by far but that's just me.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oh sweet, he made a simpler version of that for a gamejam a while back and it was really rad and oozing atmosphere. It’s a card game but also you have to cut your own fingers off and stuff.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oh, its Kaiji then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
do be prepared to sit down and read for like, a good couple hours when you start up persona 4 though.