Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

How’d you get that crust? My last attempt at a loaf like that came out good on the inside but with a really soft crust.

I definitely don't have enough experience at this point to say for sure, but probably a function of a dark nonstick bread pan and starting at 425 for the first 5 minutes before backing off. I also noticed some recipes call for tenting to prevent over-browning, this recipe didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Also on the sandwich bread train as I try to use all the sourdough discard I've accumulated in a plastic tub. I didn't get much oven spring either, but based on past experience, I'm just glad the bread is moist and doesn't feel like it'll break when I pick a slice up wrong.

I've gone through so much flour in the last three months...

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm gonna try a dutch oven loaf tomorrow. I just cannot get good loaves out of the bread machine; every other loaf caves in or comes out dense as a brick. Plus the recipes are overly complicated and call for things like 1 and 5/8ths cups of water, which is extremely annoying to measure out.

Is there any good source for bread recipes by weight? I'm much more confident measuring out X grams of flour than X cups.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

I'm gonna try a dutch oven loaf tomorrow. I just cannot get good loaves out of the bread machine; every other loaf caves in or comes out dense as a brick. Plus the recipes are overly complicated and call for things like 1 and 5/8ths cups of water, which is extremely annoying to measure out.

Is there any good source for bread recipes by weight? I'm much more confident measuring out X grams of flour than X cups.

What kind of bread? And yeah good measurements are made in weight

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

A friend just loaned me a copy of Flour Water Salt Yeast and all the recipes in it are by weight, if you're into the book thing. I am a near-novice and have been enjoying it so far.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
cross-posting from the Mayish Cook-or-Die thread.

Finally happy with my sourdough, just using the It's Alive recipe/method. I found mine cooked a LOT quicker than the recipe called for. Good thing I had the thermapen to check the internal temp, If i'd let it go for the full alotted time I would have had a cinderblock. Still wasn't as good as the non-Sourdough Oat bread though!

Cyrano, the KA recipe I linked has some tips for using the cold oven technique - maybe that will be helpful with your browning/burning? Is your Dutch Oven enamelled? They specifically say to avoid "dark" cast iron because it can burn the bottom.

slothrop posted:

double posting because it's Mayish.

Sourdough.

Finally got a banneton. Clearly used WAY too much flour dusting it.

Wholegrain/Oat bread

this is absolutely my favourite bread I have ever made. Used this KA recipe but subbed in the wholegrain flour I had sitting around. The crust, the flavour. Goddamn. I just need to figure out a way to keep the decorative oats to stick to the top a bit better.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Today I learned that the grown-ups make kaiser rolls by roll out the dough into ropes, making a granny knot out of it, tucking one end underneath, and the other over the top. Scoring is apparently for chumps. Who knew!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lester Shy posted:

Welcome to the dark side! All good recipes go by weight.

Try starting with a 65% hydration loaf; it’s easy to handle. So for your flour, add in 65% by weight water. I tend to do 2.4% (rounded) salt. Depending on how long you want it to rise, you can more or less yeast; I tend to stick to a max of around 1%. This creates a nice, normal, lean dough.

If you’d rather an enriched, soft white bread, add in 5.5% dry milk powder, and a knob of butter (say, a stick per kilo), as well as roughly two eggs per kilo of flour. I subtract the weight of the butter and eggs from the water I add, then add any extra back in during kneading, if it’s necessary. (Edit I forgot this is a Dutch oven loaf so you can probably just ignore this paragraph).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

slothrop posted:

Cyrano, the KA recipe I linked has some tips for using the cold oven technique - maybe that will be helpful with your browning/burning? Is your Dutch Oven enamelled? They specifically say to avoid "dark" cast iron because it can burn the bottom.

Hrm. It’s enameled but the enamel is pretty dark from years of being used for stews and braised pork faux-bbq and Chile etc.

I’ve got a loaf going in today so I’m going to try a pan on the rack under it and see if that helps.

Edit: tomorrow. The bread goes in tomorrow. Today is the home made pizza .

Oh god I have too much bread going at once.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made burger buns, lessons learned - buy a mixer.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 9, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Raikiri posted:

I haven't pursued it too much since I have some industrial mixer but I see a lot of manual technique that involves short periods of kneading followed by rests that wouldn't be hard to do at all. A typical baguette method is to fold the dough on itself up to ten times every 45 minutes over 4 cycles. Letting the dough hydrate for awhile before kneading will also reduce the fuss.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I learned to knead then pursued no-knead stretch and fold recipes. As a newbie I found it relaxing and very zen, but also found out I'm not a very fast kneader. My summary is kneading is fun everyone should try to learn it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Stretch-and-fold is the only thing that works for me on autolysed dough. I love you, my marble slab, unto death.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I haven't pursued it too much since I have some industrial mixer but I see a lot of manual technique that involves short periods of kneading followed by rests that wouldn't be hard to do at all. A typical baguette method is to fold the dough on itself up to ten times every 45 minutes over 4 cycles. Letting the dough hydrate for awhile before kneading will also reduce the fuss.

generally buns are enriched which hurts gluten development. Especially with butter and poo poo folded in after the gluten forms.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
They came out fine, but a mixer would just make life easier.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
A stand mixer has been on my want list for a few years. I think I finally have the counter top space for a nice pretty purple bowl lift Kitchenaid, but I'm waiting for a used one bc I like saving money more.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

A stand mixer has been on my want list for a few years. I think I finally have the counter top space for a nice pretty purple bowl lift Kitchenaid, but I'm waiting for a used one bc I like saving money more.

Yesterday my wife asked if I might be interested in one.

I didn't even know how to respond.

(I think she might like my bread).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
First dutch oven loaf:

This is a million times better than what I was getting out of the bread machine and not that much more work. Also cups and spoons can go to hell; measuring by weight is where it's at.

By the way: Is there a name for this style of fat, round loaf? I've seen it referred to as "artisan" or "rustic" bread, but there might be a more proper term.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 9, 2020

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

She only married you for your dough.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hah I tralled craigslist and there might be 600 for $100 so of course I sent them an email. Not purple but will overlook that for the price (white isn't bad either)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Lester Shy posted:

First dutch oven loaf:

This is a million times better than what I was getting out of the bread machine and not that much more work. Also cups and spoons can go to hell; measuring by weight is where it's at.

By the way: Is there a name for this style of fat, round loaf? I've seen it referred to as "artisan" or "rustic" bread, but there might be a more proper term.

It's a boule.

My store-bought starter is named Jan Levaineson Boule for this reason. The homemade one is just Bosco.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lester Shy posted:

First dutch oven loaf:

"Hearth bread", apparently?

I want to leave you with Easy Hearth Bread

quote:

Nothing compares to Hearth Bread, freshly baked surrounded with family. The sprinkles on top just give it that extra special touch that my kids will hopefully remember and pass on to their kids some day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Bread's real easy! Here's how to make bread! You just get some dough and poo poo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyxQcDm1R4

Edit: This is the video I had threatened to post awhile ago but couldn't find. Unfortunately, they deleted all the best comments that used to be on there.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 9, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Raikiri posted:

Those look great! Is it a brioche type dough with butter added in? If you did all that by hand you're amazing.

We just got a KitchenAid stand mixer on the weekend and it certainly removes some of the aspects I was finding frustrating.

I've made some brioche/milk buns previously using the dough setting on our Thermomix and while they came out great, it was just a pain in the rear end to use. The blades get all clogged up and it's annoying to get the dough out. The bowl is also too small to do anything but a tiny batch.

Burger Buns

Hot Dog buns (same recipe, no post-bake glaze)

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

slothrop posted:

Those look great! Is it a brioche type dough with butter added in? If you did all that by hand you're amazing.

We just got a KitchenAid stand mixer on the weekend and it certainly removes some of the aspects I was finding frustrating.

I've made some brioche/milk buns previously using the dough setting on our Thermomix and while they came out great, it was just a pain in the rear end to use. The blades get all clogged up and it's annoying to get the dough out. The bowl is also too small to do anything but a tiny batch.

Burger Buns

Hot Dog buns (same recipe, no post-bake glaze)

Thanks, I followed this as was previously linked by Beerinator in the Burger thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGSUYMu6Ns&t=184s

The Tangzhong definitely seemed to make a difference to the end product.

Yours look great.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 10, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My exorbitantly priced freshly ground whole wheat flour arrived yesterday and I took it for a spin.

I started at 82% hydration with a 2 hour autolyse, but it seemed very thirsty so I worked in an indeterminate amount of additional water with wet hands and it ended up behaving more like grocery store whole wheat in the high 70s, so I'll step that up even more next time. But otherwise, this is 100% whole wheat, with no other flour except for what snuck in in the starter. I got a beautiful open crumb which is soft and tender, and it's just really loving delicious. I could give up on white flour forever and eat this every day, but at almost $5 a pound shipped I'm gonna need to build my own mill before I can make that kind of commitment.

Should I refrigerate the fresh flour?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My experience has been that whole wheat is really thirsty, and I haven't figured out how to tell beforehand how much water to add to compensate. KA White Wheat used to include a rule of thumb on the package.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Whole wheat is a thirsty thing because bran absorbs a poo poo ton of water. I find that different wheats will take slightly different amounts. Refrigerating it is fine if you're not going to be using it over the next week or two.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

My exorbitantly priced freshly ground whole wheat flour arrived yesterday and I took it for a spin.

I started at 82% hydration with a 2 hour autolyse, but it seemed very thirsty so I worked in an indeterminate amount of additional water with wet hands and it ended up behaving more like grocery store whole wheat in the high 70s, so I'll step that up even more next time. But otherwise, this is 100% whole wheat, with no other flour except for what snuck in in the starter. I got a beautiful open crumb which is soft and tender, and it's just really loving delicious. I could give up on white flour forever and eat this every day, but at almost $5 a pound shipped I'm gonna need to build my own mill before I can make that kind of commitment.

Should I refrigerate the fresh flour?

That looks absolutely beautiful.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My latest loaf

I am getting the hang of slicing the loaf somewhat. There is no art to it but it's definitely allowing the rise and oven spring

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My third Sourdough attempt and my first real success. I nearly danced when I took the lid off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ooh pretty. Nice crust. Anything special going on there?

In other news I fixed my dumb burned bottom issue. Thanks for the sheet suggestion.

Cold oven, probably could have used another 5 min but all in all was good. Need to work on my lame skills but I think I’ve got a repeatable, functional bread.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ooh pretty. Nice crust. Anything special going on there?

I did nothing special. Followed the Foodbod recipe and cooked with the lid on starting in a cold oven set to 475. Just made sure to reduce the bulk time from the 8-10 hours she does to more like 5.5-6 hours before refrigerating overnight due to my kitchen being around 75+ degrees. I didn’t on my last attempt and overproofed.

Here’s the crumb shot

Dacap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think my current issue is avoiding deflating the dough too much after the bulk. When I do the final round of folds she recommends it always feels like I kill the dough too much getting it out of the bowl and into my cast iron. (I don’t have a banneton so I just let it hang out in the cast iron in the fridge for a day)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Have you tried just doing a MacGuyver’d banneton using a mixing bowl lined with a heavily floured kitchen towel? Maybe that would help it keep its shape in the second rise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh :effort: it comes out ok the way I do it now and j don’t even want to think about getting a loaf stuck to a towel.

The real answer is that I just have to buy a banneton.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Any recommendations on cheap/large cutting boards to kneed dough on?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Any recommendations on cheap/large cutting boards to kneed dough on?

I used all different types and all different sizes and materials and settled on ... if you have halfway decent countertops, just clean them well and go to down right on the countertop. Nothing else will be as stable to work on or as easy to clean up afterward. I would really only resort to kneading on a board if the only other option was doing it on the floor or something. Even then I'd probably masking tape down wax paper instead.

e: unless you're doing pastry, which I'm not an expert on but I am pretty sure your pastry work wants to be on a chilled board, but those are usually stone.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 11, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Huxley posted:

I used all different types and all different sizes and materials and settled on ... if you have halfway decent countertops, just clean them well and go to down right on the countertop. Nothing else will be as stable to work on or as easy to clean up afterward. I would really only resort to kneading on a board if the only other option was doing it on the floor or something. Even then I'd probably masking tape down wax paper instead.

e: unless you're doing pastry, which I'm not an expert on but I am pretty sure your pastry work wants to be on a chilled board, but those are usually stone.

The countertop is fine....ugh I really just need a cheap cutting board in general. I found that restaurant supply online you can get a large wood chopping board for 50 bucks, but they're rough cut, but everywhere else the cheapest option for a similar size is over 100 bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

The countertop is fine....ugh I really just need a cheap cutting board in general. I found that restaurant supply online you can get a large wood chopping board for 50 bucks, but they're rough cut, but everywhere else the cheapest option for a similar size is over 100 bux.

Honest to goodness, get a marble cheese board. They're cheap, they're tough (mine's lasted 35 years), and it is an absolute joy to do sticky doughs on; your scraper slides across the surface and the dough peels off. And when you do make biscuits or pastry, it's a cool surface without any pre-chilling.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/artisanal-kitchen-supply-reg-12-inch-x-16-inch-marble-board/5288179