Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I shouldn't have brought up chemicals that could destroy stone here probably.

But I do like magma.

It's a good word and even more interesting to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_e7jUfvt-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

It was universal when it was introduced in a similar way to how suffrage was universal, not ideal and funded by colonialism but a poo poo ton better than what came before.

yeah but then if its funded by colonialism, people who do not get to benefit from the health service they are funding, its by definition not universal healthcare.

but yeah to the police point, as long as you have a ruling class you will have police. and if somehow you did abolish the police under capitalism then capital would just use its wealth to create its own privatised police forces. whereas i think you have more traction right now moving a lot of what they do to health and social care providers and such.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Here's a thing

https://twitter.com/danohagan/status/1270343135512670208

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Although on chemistry to attack stone statues, you might be able to use thermite on the feet to melt through the stone? That would work on brozne at least, and setting a batch of thermite alight on them could be done by a single person overnight.

Thermite *might* get through concrete depending on the exact formulation, but will barely damage any other stone normally used for statues. You also don't really need thermite (which is really pretty dangerous) to attack bronze or any other material when battery-powered grinders are so easily and cheaply available.

Erm... in Minecraft.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

XMNN posted:

on the one hand, I'm obviously not pro-animal cruelty* and a six month maximum sentence does seem low, but on the other I'm not massively comfortable with labour politicians pushing for sending more people to prison for longer in general, and although they're framing it here as regarding pets etc. these accounts pushing it are police officers with police animals who've managed to get self-defence against a police animal outlawed, and it seems like prosecuting someone for kicking a dog that's biting them just because it was trained to bite people by a police officer is not good?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/15/section/1

* apart from eating meat and my ambivalence towards police animals getting hurt by people acting in self defence, obviously

e: it should be noted that the finn in question was stabbed with a knife by someone, which is obviously bad and wrong, but the way the law has been amended seems to outlaw anything that might cause suffering to a service animal as long as it's "under control", which seems nebulous enough that it could cover all sorts of things that are more defensible

I think the way to square that circle is to say that training dogs to attack humans is in itself animal cruelty, just as training them to fight other dogs would be. Ban the police from using animals to attack people and then if someone kicks a sniffer dog you can comfortably charge them with animal cruelty.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Churchill was also an antisemite who not only did nothing to address the British immigration system turning away Jewish refugees, he also had multiple opportunities to bomb or shut down Auschwitz

Given the accuracy of strategic bombing at the time, bombing Auschwitz would have been doing the Nazis' jobs for them.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

bionic vapour boy posted:

I went back to work slightly earlier than other retail workers (builders warehouse is more essential I guess) and other than supplying PPE they're doing uh, basically none of the poo poo they said they would in terms of limiting customers. It feels like there's this pervasive idea of Let's Get Back To Normal, Stop Messing About as if a virus is somehow going to be deterred by a stiff upper lip.

I'm scared! It loving sucks!

You’re spot on about the push to stop caring about coronavirus. I’ve heard the phrase ‘return to some sort of normality’ so many times at work over the last month that it’s lost all meaning. Usually it’s rolled out to justify stuff like cancelling packed lunches (without reopening anywhere to get food) or ordering staff who have been shielding due to having kids at high risk to stop working from home - note that they’ve only been able to shield at all because half of our department went to management in March saying we’d refuse to come in otherwise.

Also, I knew Simon Clarke when I was a kid. My mam occasionally tells a little story about a time when we were about 7 years old and in the lift at the shopping centre or something, and a black lady got in. He apparently tugged her sleeve and stage-whispered ‘look Mrs. [Shogi], I think she’s a [racial epithet].’ So most likely he never had a chance of turning out half decent.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think the way to square that circle is to say that training dogs to attack humans is in itself animal cruelty, just as training them to fight other dogs would be. Ban the police from using animals to attack people and then if someone kicks a sniffer dog you can comfortably charge them with animal cruelty.

oh yeah, I'm definitely against that and don't think it's a good thing the horses or dogs are getting put in positions where they are in harms way, just I'm not sure that I'm happy about Angela Rayner advocating for tougher sentences for animal cruelty when it does cover that

ironically, it looks like maybe you could have made an argument that the police officers conduct was animal cruelty under the unamended act (although I'm not looking at it right now and my law knowledge stops at AS level)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure angela rayner will make the argument that she knows what it's like to be trampled by a police horse because she once played with a my little pony.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

XMNN posted:

also this led me onto something that I'm not sure about (via a gammon tweet claiming the police horse that brained the animal riding it on a traffic light, had died)

It's just cop worship imported from the USA that makes service animal lives worth more than that of a minority*

*or just anyone that is not OUR TROOPS

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Linked from this, Leigh Francis apologising for his portrayal of black celebrities in Bo Selecta. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52935412

quote:

"People didn't say anything. I'm not going to blame other people," he says.

"I've been talking to some people and I didn't realise how offensive it was back then and I just want to apologise."

Hahaha ok well, this was his answer when he was interviewed a few years earlier in the guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2006/oct/11/comedy

quote:

There is a sense that his portrayal of black characters is based not on random absurdities, but negative racial stereotypes. Jackson the jive-talking buffoon; Trisha Goddard, with her broad west Indian accent, teeth-kissing and catchphrase "rice and peas"; and, in the latest series, Oprah Winfrey, with her southern drawl and requests for fried chicken. Can he see how this could be offensive? "No. Michael Jackson isn't anything like the way I portray him in the show. Oprah Winfrey doesn't talk anything like the way I do her in the show. I don't make that connection. There are real people who do the rice-and-peas stuff and I got that from some of my black friends - that's why I do it. If there are people like that, am I not allowed to do it?"

His intentions might not be racist, I point out, but he uses the same cliches in his portrayal of black people that openly racist people use. "Who is racist?" he asks rhetorically. "The people who are worrying about it! They're the racists! Because I don't worry about it. I'm just seeing it as giving Oprah a different voice. I don't care that she's black. I think people go around treading on eggshells and worrying, 'Ooh, is he racist?' No! You're loving racist because you're worrying about it. I'm not worrying about it because I know I'm not racist!"

He's been called on it for years but funnily enough for some reason it starts hitting home now. Pathetic

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 9, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my work is pretty much fully in "back to normal" mode, I think they literally had an in-person management meeting today (I am not setting foot in the office to find out)

I have taped off my little kingdom in the lab, am washing my hands as often as physically possible and am eating lunch in my car until I can get the gently caress out of there

e: maybe we can cancel baddiel next

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shouldn't take long. There's only about 14 MPs called David, and it isn't David Lammy. (Oddly, apart from him and the SNP MP for Banff and Buchan, all the MPs named David are Tories.)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thermite *might* get through concrete depending on the exact formulation, but will barely damage any other stone normally used for statues. You also don't really need thermite (which is really pretty dangerous) to attack bronze or any other material when battery-powered grinders are so easily and cheaply available.

Erm... in Minecraft.

Go the whole hog, Thermal lance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSpXJJ-ris8

Effective, but not very stealthy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The chunk of text you quoted says that Gladstone “opposed slavery but wished to improve the conditions of the slaves”

Opposing slavery is good; wishing to improve the conditions of slaves as a fallback is also good.

Ideally he would also have been loudly and publicly in favour of expropriating the slave owners (IE almost every human being he met since being born including his family) but for a rich Victorian his stance seems OK? Also his fairly moderate stance IIRC got monstered by the press at the time as if he was Lenin UK version.

Basically it’s really weird to see Gladstone being attacked by leftists since the kind of person who really hates him was until recently on the right.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

But I do like magma.

Me too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNy62cublDA

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Having a chat with my mum about police racism and I brought up the fact that the last man to be executed in Wales was black and that seemed to be the primary reason he was executed as there was no real evidence of his guilt (He has since been pardoned). My mum's response was "Well he was Somali not African." so after asking her where she thought Somalia was I got the non committal answer of "somewhere off the east coast of Africa." She also couldn't remember the actual name for Rhodesia. Although she is ignorant of much she has made me stop being lazy and actually educate myself as to some issues because she kept being terribly wrong about things and I couldn't answer her back properly.

EDIT: Also depressing

Coronavirus: Blind and visually impaired people 'yelled at'

quote:

People with sight loss say they have been abused and abandoned during the coronavirus pandemic.

Many say they are struggling to access services during the lockdown.

Some have been verbally abused because they find it hard to follow social distancing rules.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 9, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Erm... in Minecraft.
If you made thermite using certain other metal oxides in place of rust it'd damage the stone, but at that point you're probably doing something closer to an explosion and probably should not.

feedmegin posted:

Given the accuracy of strategic bombing at the time, bombing Auschwitz would have been doing the Nazis' jobs for them.
You could bomb the railway links, but we were pretty atrocious at bombing rails.

Also contrary to what you were told in school about putting pennies on train tracks (and further ensuring this post gets me on some kind of list), they can cross some pretty bad tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyVj6kt2zA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jedit posted:

Shouldn't take long. There's only about 14 MPs called David, and it isn't David Lammy. (Oddly, apart from him and the SNP MP for Banff and Buchan, all the MPs named David are Tories.)

isn't necessarily an mp

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
on further reflection I think I'm just back to "I'm not massively comfortable with labour politicians pushing for sending more people to prison for longer in general", because I'm not and it's not like sending someone to a British prison for 5 years instead of six months is about much more than punishing them because there's always some horrible pictures of animal abuse associated with these stories and they make me feel bad

ban them from keeping animals permanently, fine them if it was for profit and therapise them if it was for fun or because they were mentally unwell

also fix prisons

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Having spent days thinking about the best balance of explanation and a need to protect the identities of those involved, I'm now going to go ahead and ask the thread something I ran by Guava last week.

Through friends of friends, I have been asked about applying soft pressure to companies to deal with open fash, who, afaik, they aren't aware of. Horrible, eugenecist little shits who will post under their own names on profession-related facebook groups about how segregation is a result of black people being inferior and not wanting to hang around their betters, and how the current protests are proof of this. The guy is confident enough that his FB profile shows several good photos of his face and far-right article shares, as well as his current employer, although some of the worse material is private. I know he got a disciplinary at uni for bullying a gay student for months leading to a suicide attempt, but was allowed to continue.

If the person makes the complaint in their own name, they're likely to get a reputation as a troublemaker, and they're certain this will put them in a worse position than the fash guy. I've already covered how to de-identify a complaint with standardised language and evaluating how many people could access *specific* evidence, but I think they'll be much more likely to go through with it (and, hopefully, get a fascist shitcanned from his cushty job) if I can just send them something collated and authorative-looking from a group or person that deal with anonymising material on the reg. I'm pretty sure the company will fold instantly but that doesn't help the complaint get made.

I'd cheerfully do it, altho I think it's better to try and pass on the most useful information I can put together as an educational tool, and leave the action to people who are (for obvious reasons) a lot more likely to actually be the victim of racism in the workplace, so they can defend themselves from toxic shitheads without having to deal with the "chip on the shoulder" crap. If I'm asked, I'll do it. I've made that clear, and I've not been asked for anything but resources. I've spent the last two days combing antifascist twitter, starting from antifash gordon, looking for something like this, but I've had no luck. I know that guy in particular does seminars but this is UK based, so either UK-related groups or even a pdf how-to would be helpful. I don't need to pass or anything about IDing anonymous individuals, but if that's not the sole content, it can't hurt. Thanks in advance, fash delenda est

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Beefeater1980 posted:

The chunk of text you quoted says that Gladstone “opposed slavery but wished to improve the conditions of the slaves”

Opposing slavery is good; wishing to improve the conditions of slaves as a fallback is also good.

Ideally he would also have been loudly and publicly in favour of expropriating the slave owners (IE almost every human being he met since being born including his family) but for a rich Victorian his stance seems OK? Also his fairly moderate stance IIRC got monstered by the press at the time as if he was Lenin UK version.

Basically it’s really weird to see Gladstone being attacked by leftists since the kind of person who really hates him was until recently on the right.

He's a liberal. Nigel Lawson, Thatcher's Chancellor for most of the '80s, regarded him as the greatest Chancellor of all-time. Hayek admired Gladstonian liberalism. Gladstonian liberals were among the most strident critics of the People's Budget of Lloyd-George which as well as introducing a higher rate of income tax for those earning over £2,000 & tried to implement some Georgist ideas. Where the gently caress do you get the idea that leftists attacking this guy is somehow odd? Christ, one of the worst Labour Chancellors of all time, Philip Snowden, who hosed up the response to the depression precisely because was a Gladstonian liberal.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1270106081969213444

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ahahahahhahaha.

I almost choked on a breadstick but it was worth it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/barneyfarmer/status/1270446832485793792?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Operation Jericho, the one time they did try and bomb a prison to release the prisoners, was considered a success (and realistically was an absolutely amazing feat with the technology of the day) even though 1 in 7 prisoners died and only 1 in 20 successfully escaped and avoided recapture - and that was in France, with established networks to help get them to safety. Even if they'd had laser-guided bombs to take out the walls and fences around Auschwitz the poor buggers who made it out would have been starving, weak, injured, and in hostile territory.

They *might* have been able to take out the railway junction leading to it (it would just have been just at the edge of the range of the Lancaster and B29) but they'd have had to run the gauntlet of the entirety of the German air defences twice for what would probably would have just been an inconvenience to the Nazis and rather more than that for the prisoners.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

on further reflection I think I'm just back to "I'm not massively comfortable with labour politicians pushing for sending more people to prison for longer in general", because I'm not and it's not like sending someone to a British prison for 5 years instead of six months is about much more than punishing them because there's always some horrible pictures of animal abuse associated with these stories and they make me feel bad

ban them from keeping animals permanently, fine them if it was for profit and therapise them if it was for fun or because they were mentally unwell

also fix prisons

This.

Then acknowledge that one of the cruelest pieces of animal cruelty is taking a happy friendly dog and training it to loving attack people on command.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

not for nothing but we are also supporting a genocide in yemen with the intelligence and strategic support we lend saudi arabia. UK special forces train child soldiers there. our operations also enable a thriving human trafficking industry, which includes children being stolen from their families - often by jihadi groups we are arming - and sold into sexual slavery around the world. the blood money all flows back into the City and means london has become effectively a gigantic washing machine for dirty cash made off the rape, torture and murder of people in the global south. i would like to see the conversation emphasise that our crimes are not historical, that more than statues need to be torn down and dismantled here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

isn't necessarily an mp

That's what a Tory would say, yes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

not for nothing but we are also supporting a genocide in yemen with the intelligence and strategic support we lend saudi arabia. UK special forces train child soldiers there. our operations also enable a thriving human trafficking industry, which includes children being stolen from their families - often by jihadi groups we are arming - and sold into sexual slavery around the world. the blood money all flows back into the City and means london has become effectively a gigantic washing machine for dirty cash made off the rape, torture and murder of people in the global south. i would like to see the conversation emphasise that our crimes are not historical, that more than statues need to be torn down and dismantled here.

"become"? The City has been this since at least the 16th century.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bad takes incoming!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

This.

Then acknowledge that one of the cruelest pieces of animal cruelty is taking a happy friendly dog and training it to loving attack people on command.

Erm... attacking on command is pretty much what the human/canine relationship is all about. Police dogs (and hunting dogs) loving *love* their work - they don't get strapped down Clockwork Orange style and brainwashed into attacking, if anything most of the training is about ensuring they only attack who the handler wants them to attack.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Spangly A posted:

Having spent days thinking about the best balance of explanation and a need to protect the identities of those involved, I'm now going to go ahead and ask the thread something I ran by Guava last week.

Through friends of friends, I have been asked about applying soft pressure to companies to deal with open fash, who, afaik, they aren't aware of. Horrible, eugenecist little shits who will post under their own names on profession-related facebook groups about how segregation is a result of black people being inferior and not wanting to hang around their betters, and how the current protests are proof of this. The guy is confident enough that his FB profile shows several good photos of his face and far-right article shares, as well as his current employer, although some of the worse material is private. I know he got a disciplinary at uni for bullying a gay student for months leading to a suicide attempt, but was allowed to continue.

If the person makes the complaint in their own name, they're likely to get a reputation as a troublemaker, and they're certain this will put them in a worse position than the fash guy. I've already covered how to de-identify a complaint with standardised language and evaluating how many people could access *specific* evidence, but I think they'll be much more likely to go through with it (and, hopefully, get a fascist shitcanned from his cushty job) if I can just send them something collated and authorative-looking from a group or person that deal with anonymising material on the reg. I'm pretty sure the company will fold instantly but that doesn't help the complaint get made.

I'd cheerfully do it, altho I think it's better to try and pass on the most useful information I can put together as an educational tool, and leave the action to people who are (for obvious reasons) a lot more likely to actually be the victim of racism in the workplace, so they can defend themselves from toxic shitheads without having to deal with the "chip on the shoulder" crap. If I'm asked, I'll do it. I've made that clear, and I've not been asked for anything but resources. I've spent the last two days combing antifascist twitter, starting from antifash gordon, looking for something like this, but I've had no luck. I know that guy in particular does seminars but this is UK based, so either UK-related groups or even a pdf how-to would be helpful. I don't need to pass or anything about IDing anonymous individuals, but if that's not the sole content, it can't hurt. Thanks in advance, fash delenda est

Is a company able to fire someone over their political views just like that? Seems like that would get you sued straight away. Is the hope that they have some other way to get him to leave?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anyone get a cap of this before it disappeared?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

elbkaida posted:

Is a company able to fire someone over their political views just like that? Seems like that would get you sued straight away. Is the hope that they have some other way to get him to leave?

I would be extremely suprised if they don't have a social media policy.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

elbkaida posted:

Being a big fash oval office isn't protected under the Equality Act

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

isn't necessarily an mp

might even be using a nom de plume for his hatemail :o

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

elbkaida posted:

I've read through the op's post a few times and can't really get a handle on what it is they need or want.

If you wanna get someone in hot water, surely just put together a dossier of all the lovely things they've done online, send it to their employer and say that if action isn't taken against them then it's gonna go all over twitter and they'll be @tted in every single tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Anyone get a cap of this before it disappeared?

Was this the Yorkshire Tea / PG Tips thing?