Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

evilweasel posted:

the world has been busy enough that i have not lacked for distractions

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status/1270200771032694784?s=21

we know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Another goon law school success story (I assume).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I am insulted you picked that one and not this: https://abovethelaw.com/2020/06/lawyer-charged-in-alleged-molotov-cocktail-firebombing-caught-on-camera-in-controversial-interview/

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Was talking with a friend about law school and an LLM (not for me).

I know that LLM's are only worth it for tax. But what I wasn't sure about was if they're only worth it (even in tax) if you already have a Master's in Accounting or are already a CPA? The only people I know with an LLM work at PWC in Chicago and all have their CPA. Is there anything else you do with an LLM (other than gaze at your naval?)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s a degree, not a yacht.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I know that LLM's are only worth it for tax. But what I wasn't sure about was if they're only worth it (even in tax) if you already have a Master's in Accounting or are already a CPA? The only people I know with an LLM work at PWC in Chicago and all have their CPA. Is there anything else you do with an LLM (other than gaze at your naval?)

Add a few certs for psychology or computers, and you could be a can of alphabet soup

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

we both know you're not that cool

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

GamingHyena posted:

What’s the charge?

Very good question, looking back there's no hard evidence. Organizers were spooked enough to ask anyone who was arrested to leave during the march for their own safety, but that could just be that they were antsy about what cops are willing to do after getting tear gassed for a few days.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
During the inauguration protests, anyone that was arrested was charged with any and all property damage that had occurred anywhere during the day. They were trying to give them 20 years. Jury refused to convict, IIRC.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Pook Good Mook posted:

They're looked at favorably (although not at all required) by IRS Counsel. I think most people working in the DC headquarters writing regs and policy type stuff have them. It also gets you an automatic pay bump upon hiring.

Of course, these days there's not much federal hiring to begin with, so good luck with that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

El_Elegante posted:

It’s a degree, not a yacht.

Lol

Seamen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

youll either own a catamaran or be owned as a catamite, either way an LLM will get you somewhere

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vox Nihili posted:

youll either own a catamaran or be owned as a catamite, either way an LLM will get you somewhere

Limited Liability Masochism

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Look, Look, Morestudentdebt

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Good news, everyone!

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1270461916285030400

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1270464744634253312

http://www.seditionists.com/hovind.pdf

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Oh yeah, that's the poo poo I need after a rough day. Right into my veins, ugh...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That's going to be dismissed sua sponte by the judge at least once for being a shotgun pleading. Since he doesn't have counsel, the judge might give him two more stabs at a conforming complaint. They only have to give him one, though, and then can dismiss with prejudice.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The eleventh circuit is kinda whacky but it’s also hilarious to use their stringent shotgun pleading rules to gently caress with plaintiffs

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sad he can't put a dollar value on the souls lost for eternity to God because he had to pay taxes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Licensee/Detail/226684

Only 3 suspensions for not paying child support.

In "using your government email address for personal business is a bad idea" news:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243401066.html#storylink=bignews_latest

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Here's the sovcit guru on the Hovind filing

I've never seen dropping the last letter of your last name before.

quote:

I, Paul Hansen, get arrested occasionally for standing up against intrusive government.

If you are not getting a response back from my email it is highly likely I am in jail.

There are two main reasons people go to jail in the United States:

-one is for violating US written law,

-the other is for holding fast to the God given right to live independent of such corrupt institutions (empires) as the United States has become.

edit: oh I recognize this guy, he's one of the few remaining big sovcit gurus.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Hello lawgoons. I am not of your kind but once upon a time was thinking of going to law school and still enjoy occasionally lurking this thread and reading of your doings. Had something I wanted to ask you all about.

So I'm currently a social sciences PhD student. I have some experience in polling, statistics, data science type stuff. There's this a temporary employment thing at a law firm that looks like it might be a good summer gig for me that I think I'm qualified for, found out about it through a friend. They want someone for the next couple of months to do stats, analytics,etc. and maybe some survey research for an ongoing project that they have. I can work remotely (obviously), aside from like one or two in person meetings. I interviewed for the position via zoom and think that it went well, they want to talk to me again this week.

There are a couple of things that I'm a little confused about. The first is that during the interview they would tell me nothing about the actual specifics of the job that I would be doing. Like I asked the standard interview questions about what the job would entail and was basically stonewalled. It was pretty strange to me. Is this normal, like they can't talk about an ongoing case? If that's the case, why not say that? I think it's clearly a distinct project that they would want me to work on, so it seems really weird and almost a red flag that they wouldn't tell me about what I would be doing. I'm just guessing at what the job involves from what aspects of my experience they asked about. I'm kind of uncomfortable taking a job where I have this little information about what it involves.

The second is that in the follow up interview they want to discuss compensation. Any lawgoons have any idea what kind of thing is normal for something like this? I'm not a consulting firm, I'm just some guy whose going to do this from my living room not wearing pants, so I probably won't ask for the top end of what is possible, but I don't want to lowball myself either. They want an hourly rate.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Tax free status for “religious” organizations is the second stupidest thing on god’s green earth, right behind religion itself.

Imagine how weird this guy’s “loving” family life was, so proud of being featured on America’s Funniest Home Videos, everybody working for him and nobody paying taxes, his “church” (i.e. him) “helping build” (i.e. owning) their houses next door, quoting scripture to them and poo poo while also probably abusing them physically and mentally. I’m sure his wife divorced him and his family cut him out of their lives entirely because they were afraid of the government lol.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Still Dismal posted:

The first is that during the interview they would tell me nothing about the actual specifics of the job that I would be doing. Like I asked the standard interview questions about what the job would entail and was basically stonewalled. It was pretty strange to me. Is this normal, like they can't talk about an ongoing case?

The second is that in the follow up interview they want to discuss compensation. Any lawgoons have any idea what kind of thing is normal for something like this? I'm not a consulting firm, I'm just some guy whose going to do this from my living room not wearing pants, so I probably won't ask for the top end of what is possible, but I don't want to lowball myself either. They want an hourly rate.

1) If its for active litigation, the project and its details are almost certainly privileged which means they can't talk about the details with someone who's not under a confidentiality agreement or part of the firm. Attorney work product is privileged and confidential, and a special formula or strategy for trial would be considered work product, even if the attorney was having someone else come up with it. Also, sometimes we hire what we call a "consulting expert" which is someone we hire to give us an opinion about a case and help us prepare things like formulas, but we don't ask them to testify; everything they do in the background is privileged and confidential.

2) Hourly rate probably means they will bill your time to the client, but in terms of how much that time is worth and what they're willing to pay, hell if I know. Doc review is tens of dollars per hour for what is a a few steps up from menial labor. Expert witnesses charge hundreds of dollars per hour. This sounds like... somewhere in between? But also it sounds like you may be bidding against other candidates? And I'd be surprised if you weren't asked to keep the interview confidential or at least the details of who you interviewed with and what for?

I Don't know.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Still Dismal posted:

Hello lawgoons. I am not of your kind but once upon a time was thinking of going to law school and still enjoy occasionally lurking this thread and reading of your doings. Had something I wanted to ask you all about.

So I'm currently a social sciences PhD student. I have some experience in polling, statistics, data science type stuff. There's this a temporary employment thing at a law firm that looks like it might be a good summer gig for me that I think I'm qualified for, found out about it through a friend. They want someone for the next couple of months to do stats, analytics,etc. and maybe some survey research for an ongoing project that they have. I can work remotely (obviously), aside from like one or two in person meetings. I interviewed for the position via zoom and think that it went well, they want to talk to me again this week.

There are a couple of things that I'm a little confused about. The first is that during the interview they would tell me nothing about the actual specifics of the job that I would be doing. Like I asked the standard interview questions about what the job would entail and was basically stonewalled. It was pretty strange to me. Is this normal, like they can't talk about an ongoing case? If that's the case, why not say that? I think it's clearly a distinct project that they would want me to work on, so it seems really weird and almost a red flag that they wouldn't tell me about what I would be doing. I'm just guessing at what the job involves from what aspects of my experience they asked about. I'm kind of uncomfortable taking a job where I have this little information about what it involves.

Is this a reasonably big time law firm? For a PhD student in a field I would be dealing with (engineering), I would expect to pay maybe 125-175 an hour?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Our group had a call yesterday about what's been going on the last couple of weeks, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but there were a huge number of people who implied that it took an email from a black colleague describing the difficulty he had talking to his daughter about recent events for them to realize america is still systemically racist. It made me want to scream at them. What a bubble these people have lived in.

Anyways, it's not raining today, so I want to go meet my new neighbors in the commune.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Our group had a call yesterday about what's been going on the last couple of weeks, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but there were a huge number of people who implied that it took an email from a black colleague describing the difficulty he had talking to his daughter about recent events for them to realize america is still systemically racist. It made me want to scream at them. What a bubble these people have lived in.

Anyways, it's not raining today, so I want to go meet my new neighbors in the commune.
Makes we wonder what the white people are telling their white kids about this.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

gvibes posted:

Makes we wonder what the white people are telling their white kids about this.

Nothing. They are mostly telling them nothing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nothing. They are mostly telling them nothing.

I think that depends on the kids' access to media. At a certain point they start asking questions and you have to start answering them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

therobit posted:

I think that depends on the kids' access to media. At a certain point they start asking questions and you have to start answering them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHKsM7vMe0g

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1270802155201576962?s=19

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the margins on this are personally offensive to me what the hell is the formatting on the last page

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
mods rename me david vigilante

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That’s literally the worst name for a lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

El_Elegante posted:

That’s literally the worst best name for a lawyer.

Fixed

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
only if you’re actually Matt Murdock

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Meatbag Esq. posted:

mods rename me david vigilante

No me first

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is there a historical individual that is/was considered the bane of the legal profession?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

evilweasel posted:

the margins on this are personally offensive to me what the hell is the formatting on the last page

Until Trump justifies his claims CNN won’t justify their margins :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is there a historical individual that is/was considered the bane of the legal profession?

I mean there are quite a few, but their names were things like "Julius" and "Napoleon"