Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nostalgamus posted:

Oookay, just lost my freshly built war factory (NOD mission 8) to the new airstrike targeting. Don't like it.

I suppose it might have been targeting the tank I'd just built, but still. I'd like to know how to cheese the new targeting, since the rifleman at the top starting island no longer works.

If memory serves, the AI would priority target defensive structures first.

So like a Guard Tower or a Turret are higher priority targets. So build a turret in the corner of your base/map, far away from everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
From what I've seen it prioritizes the most expensive units or defensive structures. So if you have an Obelisk it will attack that, If you have a flame tank it will bomb that etc. I think its a combination of "Tech" level and cost, since it attacks artillery over light tanks for example.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

axeil posted:

I booted up Tiberian Sun last night (from The First Decade) and holy crap its borderline unplayable. Every unit looks like an ant and it's impossible to tell what's going on.

I imagine the games from Generals onward are less of an issue because they're true 3D and you can zoom the map.

Last time I tried to run it it was completely busted and I had to find some old direct draw DLL or something to get the main menu to even load. Never really had any issues with any other C&C game, would love to see that one get some attention.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Escape Goat posted:

Last time I tried to run it it was completely busted and I had to find some old direct draw DLL or something to get the main menu to even load. Never really had any issues with any other C&C game, would love to see that one get some attention.

I'm pretty sure if you just install the free CnCNet version it'll work out of box though.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Tib Dawn was so my jam growing up. I played the hell out of the game. It had been out for a year or two when I got it on my P60 for the princely sum of £40 in the old Virgin Megastore in Dublin.
I remember splitting the cost of it with a friend of mine, each taking one of the CD’s to instal the game and we each played through the Single Player Campaign. (My brother and I got the GDI disc. He got the Nod. Then after two weeks we had finished the campaign and swapped.)
We got the Covert Ops later, but that was only £15. So I didn’t feel too bad that it was just an add-on.

When Red Alert came out, I was likewise hugely into it. I also remember going to an Internet Cafe just to be able to play LAN games against my brother. Again my friend and I split the costs. He played the Allies for the first two weeks, we played Soviets.

But it was the Add On packs for Red Alert that killed my love for the series for a while. I read all the previews for the first one (Counterstrike I think.) I saved my money, couldn’t wait to play it.

Then I get it and discovered it was just a set of random missions like the Covert Ops. But no new single player story. And that you couldn’t even use the new unitis in skirmish or multiplayer.
I was so annoyed at the time that I even wrote a letter (a physical letter) to Westwood complaining about it.
It soured my enjoyment that I never played the next add on or the Console ports.

So far I’ve just been playing Tib Dawn, but I am wondering how Red Alert will hold up on nostalgia.

I had a similar experience with the expansions. I had played the demos to death but never owned the game due to being broke (and 10 years old). So a bit later I got a big box collection with all the expansions and was pretty disappointed to see how much of it was random missions after completing the main games.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Mordja posted:

I'm pretty sure if you just install the free CnCNet version it'll work out of box though.

I'm going to have to check this out, thanks. I love the atmosphere of Tiberian Sun and it's the one I've played least due to life timing/old jank.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Escape Goat posted:

I'm going to have to check this out, thanks. I love the atmosphere of Tiberian Sun and it's the one I've played least due to life timing/old jank.

I just gave it a go and yup, it works all right. Make sure to download the full installer specifically, because there's also a multiplayer-only version on that page. Speaking of, one interesting side-effect of these remasters looks to be more people playing the other, fan-maintained games online. There are currently over 1000 people playing Yuri's Revenge on CnCNet.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I decided to run the First Decade version of C&C on Origin, just to get a better feel for the improvements to this remaster. Surprisingly it worked without any tweaks, though I used scaling to fix stretching. Petroglyph did a great job, I was already missing many of the features in the first few seconds of the initial GDI mission.

But what I'd totally forgotten about was the "sneak peek" stuff in the updated version of the game. There's trailers for Red Alert, Lands of Lore 2, Blade Runner and Tiberian Sun. Westwood sure was busy back then.

Made an attempt at playing TS but that one requires patches just to get past the menu screens.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I decided to take a look at the source code, since I remembered I have that opportunity now.

As far as I can tell, Airstrikes seem to use the same targeting functions as Ion Cannon/Nukes, which matches the observed behavior of prioritizing AGTs/Obelisks. But this is still completely different from how airstrikes used to behave, so it feels something must have changed - but I don't see how.

For anyone else interested, the function in question is Special_Weapon_AI() in House.cpp. Though as far as I can tell, that only selects buildings as targets, which doesn't match up with targeting artillery (unless they're misclassified somehow).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I would kill for this. I've been wanting to replay those campaigns for years.

As someone who's room mate actually beat the entire campaign on hard post balance updates, it's possible but it requires very blatantly ignoring what the level recommends doing a lot of times. Like the mission used in the demo where you're given Mammoth tanks for the first time and told to "roll over them"? Yeah, Mammoth tanks are actively the worst thing you could use there post updates, especially with the Railgun upgrade. Mammoth tanks will wreck vehicles and buildings but the AI's composition is primarily infantry in that mission which Mammoth tanks were balanced to be worst against in PvP. The real trick to the mission is APCs filled with grenadiers and snipers.

Granted some of the missions are actively bullshit. The Nod missions where you have to capture 2 GDI and 2 Scrin MCVs while the two sides fought was already BS before the balance changes. The final Nod mission also had my room mate actively spitting rage and frustration for a while. Something about how a single GDI barracks would vomit forth multiple squads of infantry at once, and all of them would gain instant max veterancy the moment they got a single kill being one of the least bullshit things about that level.

Also "Road's Blocked: Taking an alternate route!" became an in joke and code for "I'm gonna sit on my rear end and do nothing." :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

I got Generals and Zero Hour working by following these instructions:

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-generals-zero-hour/

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-generals/

The key thing I found is that the very first time you boot the game you need to boot in windowed mode with a shortcut with -window at the end. Once you do it once your should be good.

I also found a patch for both CNC3 and CNC3: Kane's Wrath that revert the multiplayer patch changes so the single player campaign isn't maddening while keeping all the bugfixes.

CNC3 Vanilla:https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/fytsgu/cc_3_tiberium_wars_is_too_bloody_hard_i_just_give/fn1y90i/

quote:

Here is the mod: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai9P494k5Pw3hM1IkdyA0T0u5ICT3A?e=P0yfSq

To install for the Steam / Origin version on Windows 10, you first need to install Bibber's Fixed Launchers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/96bfdwv7owdzw4b/cnc-ultimate-collection-launchers.zip?dl=0
In Steam, right click on CNC3 > Properties > Set Launch Options and enter '-ui'. This can also be done in the 'Target' field of any shortcut.
Unzip the contents of the zip to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Mods. If the folder(s) does not exist, create it.
Launch Tiberium Wars. A second launcher should pop up instead of the game. Choose Game Browser and navigate to the Mods tab. Select the mod and launch the game!

For this make sure your mods folder is set up so the path is"..\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Mods\TiberiumEssence". You also might need to unpack the .big file. If so use this: http://www.cnclabs.com/downloads/details.aspx?id=240

CNC3 Kane's Wrath: https://www.moddb.com/mods/kanes-wrath-classic/downloads/kanes-wrath-classic-100-v2

This also requires the WrathEd mod launcher because for some reason the game doesn't come with a mod launching system like the base game does. Link: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=58707

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 9, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

axeil posted:

I got Generals and Zero Hour working by following these instructions:

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-generals-zero-hour/

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-generals/

The key thing I found is that the very first time you boot the game you need to boot in windowed mode with a shortcut with -window at the end. Once you do it once your should be good.

I've never done that because, as with every other C&C game, there's a fanmade thing that just makes the game work in Gentool: https://www.gentool.net/

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mordja posted:

I've never done that because, as with every other C&C game, there's a fanmade thing that just makes the game work in Gentool: https://www.gentool.net/

I used Gentool and the game still wouldn't boot for some reason! No idea why but doing the -window trick fixed it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

This is how I did my recent play through. Being able to pull the camera out is very nice.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Something has been in my mind and I am wondering if I ever dreamed this or something. But I remember there being a very strange map in RA where rules are changed. V2 rockets now fire nukes, Mammoth Tanks also belch fire, etc. Units did very strange things and their prices were changed accordingly. I remember if you wanted to play it like this you have to play in a certain map. Mind you this was on the DOS / 95 version. Or maybe it was the PS1 version?

I dunno but Im having a hard time remembering what the map was called or if you can still play it in the Remake. Cause I remember it being brokenly funny. Any of you guys remember this?

E- found it. It was on PS1. Map 41 and 51. Now im gonna check and see if its in the final game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDMNlpiunBY

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 9, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It exists, I can't remember which one it is but it's one of the mission pack missions. It should be relatively easy to find if you look for it: look for a mission briefing that talks about how everything's hosed up due to chronosphere and/or iron curtain tests (probably Chronosphere).

Also I find it weird and amusing that the Tiberium Dawn missions are ordered by mission pack they came in, while the Red Alert ones are organized by faction.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Alkydere posted:

It exists, I can't remember which one it is but it's one of the mission pack missions. It should be relatively easy to find if you look for it: look for a mission briefing that talks about how everything's hosed up due to chronosphere and/or iron curtain tests (probably Chronosphere).

I also found it on RA under skirmish. Lunar Battlefield (Special) if anyone here wants to try it out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

Nice, have you guys worked on CNC mods before? I'm 0% familiar with the codebase.

The only modding work I've ever done is messing around with the cooldown timers in Metal Gear Solid V with a hex editor and general ini editing in Paradox Games.

I have no idea if that means I'm a modder or what though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Katamari Democracy posted:

Something has been in my mind and I am wondering if I ever dreamed this or something. But I remember there being a very strange map in RA where rules are changed. V2 rockets now fire nukes, Mammoth Tanks also belch fire, etc. Units did very strange things and their prices were changed accordingly. I remember if you wanted to play it like this you have to play in a certain map. Mind you this was on the DOS / 95 version. Or maybe it was the PS1 version?

I dunno but Im having a hard time remembering what the map was called or if you can still play it in the Remake. Cause I remember it being brokenly funny. Any of you guys remember this?

yes that definitely existed on PC. it was called like gem garden or something.

e: actually there were more then one of them but yea, they were named (special).

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

E- found it. It was on PS1. Map 41 and 51. Now im gonna check and see if its in the final game.

I remember the area 51 map moslty because all the technicians had nuclear pistols.

There as also a map where the ore was very cheap, but it grew extremely fast to the point where it choked your base later on.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
What kind of unit compositions should I be trying to use for the GDI campaign missions that allow for base-building? I seem to keep getting my rear end handed to me and feel like I'm doing something horrendously wrong!

Nod flame troopers are evil little bastards.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Lunar Battlefield on the remake does nothing strange that I have seen. :( Ill need to research and see if its really the right one.

Im Testing Ore garden now

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

w0o0o0o posted:

What kind of unit compositions should I be trying to use for the GDI campaign missions that allow for base-building? I seem to keep getting my rear end handed to me and feel like I'm doing something horrendously wrong!

#1 turn off hard mode if you haven't already. :v:
#2: if you're using vehicles a mix of Mediums and APCs for infantry clean up. They're a bit more expensive than Light Scouts (seriously I realize Humvee's now trademarked but they should have given it a name like 'Bulldog' or something) but they have the armor typing to stand up to flamethrowers and can carry engineers
#3 Seriously engineers coming in behind your initial assault is one of the best moves against the AI. An engineer instantly removes an enemy building while your combat units play whack-a-mole against enemy unit spam. And on some later missions Nod will rebuild secondary bases if you destroy or sell them so might as well have those buildings be your buildings. There's a reason Red Alert nerfed engineers.
#4 A couple mammoths are decent as a sort of flagship/giant wall of HP if you can keep them in the front.
#5 A thousand Orcas

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Alkydere posted:

This was it! Sorry I missed your post earlier.

The mission is called Paradox equation on the Retaliation expansion.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alkydere posted:

#1 turn off hard mode if you haven't already. :v:
#2: if you're using vehicles a mix of Mediums and APCs for infantry clean up. They're a bit more expensive than Light Scouts (seriously I realize Humvee's now trademarked but they should have given it a name like 'Bulldog' or something) but they have the armor typing to stand up to flamethrowers and can carry engineers
#3 Seriously engineers coming in behind your initial assault is one of the best moves against the AI. An engineer instantly removes an enemy building while your combat units play whack-a-mole against enemy unit spam. And on some later missions Nod will rebuild secondary bases if you destroy or sell them so might as well have those buildings be your buildings. There's a reason Red Alert nerfed engineers.
#4 A couple mammoths are decent as a sort of flagship/giant wall of HP if you can keep them in the front.
#5 A thousand Orcas

You forgot #6: build a line of sandbags into their base and build towers.

When I was a kid I was a big user of #5 and #6 but now I do Medium tank/APC mixes. I used to love using grenadiers but they're still a bit too fragile in my modified hard mode.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

axeil posted:

When I was a kid I was a big user of #5 and #6 but now I do Medium tank/APC mixes. I used to love using grenadiers but they're still a bit too fragile in my modified hard mode.

I first played this game on Sega Saturn and learned one neat trick to unlock everything. Y A B B A (Down) A B B A (Down) (Up)

The joke in that cheat was Fred Flinstone's trademark "Yabba Dabba Doo"! But for Sega Saturn cheats. I usually just did that and the money cheat and blasted my way through the missions to learn them at first. Then I did that sandbag cheat haha

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

#7 use a Humvee to create a traffic jam so the harvester can't return to base. Sadly you need a bridge for this but many maps have one somewhere!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Fishbus posted:

I remember the area 51 map moslty because all the technicians had nuclear pistols.

There as also a map where the ore was very cheap, but it grew extremely fast to the point where it choked your base later on.

I remember now it was King Of The Hills, so much ore!! It's like a zombie invasion except instead of a shotgun you have 10 ore havesters

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

w0o0o0o posted:

Grenadiers are reasonably good against them. They outrange them, I'll usually use a sacrificial minigunner or something to pin them in place while a couple grenades deal to them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

There was another map on PS1 Retaliation my friend and I used to play on link cable that had tesla-civilians and nuke-civilians, and the best way to get civies was to build advanced power plants and then sell them, which would leave 2 or 3 civvies behind. It was incredibly dope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s no way I’m going back to playing without the rally points that the pathfinding mod adds

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fallom posted:

There’s no way I’m going back to playing without the rally points that the pathfinding mod adds

I still haven't played with that yet because I think it might end up conflicting with my zoom mod? How much of a difference does the pathfinding itself make?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It makes thing extra spicy when your harvester thinks the shortest path to resources is through an enemy base :negative:

Of course the same holds true for the AI :getin:

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Stupid question inbound:

Do mods for this game disable obtaining achievements? I know some games will do this when you install/play with mods from the workshop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

I still haven't played with that yet because I think it might end up conflicting with my zoom mod? How much of a difference does the pathfinding itself make?

It’s still not fantastic but you do have to babysit your units a lot less. The harvesters are also smarter about how they queue up for drop offs. They’ll still get hung up on bridges, though.

All mods conflict because you can only run one .dll at a time. Check for mod compilations. People are just cramming everything into mega mods and the more clever ones are adding .ini files that let you turn off the mods you don’t want.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fallom posted:

It’s still not fantastic but you do have to babysit your units a lot less. The harvesters are also smarter about how they queue up for drop offs. They’ll still get hung up on bridges, though.

All mods conflict because you can only run one .dll at a time. Check for mod compilations. People are just cramming everything into mega mods and the more clever ones are adding .ini files that let you turn off the mods you don’t want.

Yeah, I'm sure eventually there'll be a de facto community patch online.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

With the Saturn/PS1 discussion, I looked up the N64 version of C&C. Woof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dCOwh8gNo

N64's weaknesses are on full display with the texture detail and lack of storage for FMV. Pretty interesting port though, 3D models!

And a MIDI soundtrack... that's not bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWbl4KBpZW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBOn3zG8Wdg

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I first played this game on Sega Saturn and learned one neat trick to unlock everything. Y A B B A (Down) A B B A (Down) (Up)

The joke in that cheat was Fred Flinstone's trademark "Yabba Dabba Doo"! But for Sega Saturn cheats. I usually just did that and the money cheat and blasted my way through the missions to learn them at first. Then I did that sandbag cheat haha

Hell yeah. It unlocked the SSM launcher too which never appeared otherwise. Forgot if it unlocked chem troopers for Nod though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
You can do per-mission unit tweaks/rules which is how the ant missions work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Super weapon priorities:

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/HOUSE.CPP#L2609

Value()

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/TECHNO.CPP#L3612

BDATA.cpp has the risk/reward values for buildings

Value() does return Risk() + Techno_Type_Class()->Reward

buildings
code:
code			risk		reward		combined
AFLD			300			86			386
SAM			300			40			340
GUN			300			26			326
OBLI			100			35			135
ATWR			100			30			130
GTWR			100			25			125
EYE			0			100			100
WEAPON			0			86			86
NUK2			0			75			75
FACT			0			70			70
HPAD			0			65			65
HAND			0			61			61
PYLE			0			60			60
PROC			0			55			55
NUKE			0			50			50
FIX			0			46			46
HOSP			0			20			20
HQ			0			20			20
TMPL			0			20			20
SILO			0			16			16
BIO			0			1			1
ARCO			0			1			1
That will apply to AIs that have the airstrike abilities in eg; skirmishes. Special_Weapon_AI() DOES NOT apply to campaign missions as they don't use the airstrike ability, they trigger a reinforcement teamtype of A10s.