Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

aniviron posted:

BIG caveat to this- how dark your nights are depends on some variable that no one I know has been able to isolate. I have been with my squad on night maps and will have a map that is literally 100% black pixels beneath the skyline, can't see a drat thing- but for some of my teammates, they can be on the exact same graphics settings and they report that there is more than enough light to see easily, like a night in a movie. It's not monitor stuff either, we've swapped screenshots and they report that my screenshots are pitch black and impossible to use and I can see that things are perfectly clear for them.

If you're one of the people who can see well at night, great, you might find night maps helpful. If not, they're far more of a hindrance than help, because you'll be going up against people who can see much better than you for an arbitrary reason, and you're at a huge disadvantage.

lol I'm so glad this isn't just me and my friends, it was so bizarre because I could literally put the monitors side by side and they'd be completely different with stock default Tarkov installs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

we have realistically modeled genetics that determine your character's ability to adjust to different levels of lighting

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i vomit kittens posted:

we have realistically modeled genetics that determine your character's ability to adjust to different levels of lighting

"a perfectly realistic battleground would not be a level playing field even with the same equipment and skill" -nikita, probably

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

aniviron posted:

BIG caveat to this- how dark your nights are depends on some variable that no one I know has been able to isolate. I have been with my squad on night maps and will have a map that is literally 100% black pixels beneath the skyline, can't see a drat thing- but for some of my teammates, they can be on the exact same graphics settings and they report that there is more than enough light to see easily, like a night in a movie. It's not monitor stuff either, we've swapped screenshots and they report that my screenshots are pitch black and impossible to use and I can see that things are perfectly clear for them.

If you're one of the people who can see well at night, great, you might find night maps helpful. If not, they're far more of a hindrance than help, because you'll be going up against people who can see much better than you for an arbitrary reason, and you're at a huge disadvantage.

i think its people who live in caves or whatever and have weak eyes and always use 'dark mode' on stuff have trouble seeing

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

hakimashou posted:

i think its people who live in caves or whatever and have weak eyes and always use 'dark mode' on stuff have trouble seeing

Spoken like a true light mode user :p

In all seriousness, I always just chalked it up to how good your monitor is. I've done something like 10 woods night raids this wipe without any issue. Doming scavs at night has never really been a problem for me, though a flashlight is very handy for looting bits and bobs. Oh and I never run any sort of post effects, in or out of game. :effort:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I have a “black stabilizer” setting in my monitor to boost dark areas. I use a combo of in game post effects and a slight boost to darks because I keep my brightness really low due to eye strain from my day job.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

fennesz posted:

In all seriousness, I always just chalked it up to how good your monitor is. I've done something like 10 woods night raids this wipe without any issue. Doming scavs at night has never really been a problem for me, though a flashlight is very handy for looting bits and bobs. Oh and I never run any sort of post effects, in or out of game. :effort:

It can't be the monitor though, or the screenshots we sent one another would look the same. I am also a stickler for having a properly calibrated monitor with an accurate colorspace because I do visual computer work, and so is one of my squad. Yet he's got bright nights, and I'm at 100% black.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

aniviron posted:

It can't be the monitor though, or the screenshots we sent one another would look the same. I am also a stickler for having a properly calibrated monitor with an accurate colorspace because I do visual computer work, and so is one of my squad. Yet he's got bright nights, and I'm at 100% black.

Oh interesting, hadn't considered that. I think a better (and clean) monitor definitely helps but yeah I'm sure there are some idiosyncrasies system to system that causes it. But then again, :effort:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

aniviron posted:

My friend went through this exact issue a few days ago, she couldn't see a drat thing in any nightmap even though I could see everything just fine, and screenshots wouldn't show anything wrong. Updating her graphics card drivers fixed it though, consider doing that

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
My drivers are up to date, and when the sun starts to set I rapidly become blind. Hopefully someone will figure out the cause eventually.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i get both pitch black nights and bright ones

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I assumed the brightness at night was due to the moon and it's position in the sky, but maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
The time of day, weather, and location all change light effects. You need to screenshot from the same raid in the same place at the same time to compare.

It's also possible that a skill like perception or awareness effects it in an undocumented manner.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Elite Carrot Eating gives you 500 meter natural nightvision, but to unlock level 1 Carrot Eating for leveling you need to give Therapist 50 found in raid carrots, and they only spawn in woods in the long grass.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Yeah 5.45 sucks without proper ammo, meanwhile 7.62 PS is perfectly viable and available from the beginning

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

rap music posted:

Yeah 5.45 sucks without proper ammo, meanwhile 7.62 PS is perfectly viable and available from the beginning

Honestly, I prefer 5.45 over 7.62PS in anything resembling close range for two reasons.

1) BT/BP is pretty easy to find in raid and is better than 7.62PS.
2) PP ammo is cheap and still pens teir 3.
3) It is actually usable in full auto/fast taps, 7.62 is completely worthless full auto even at 10m.
4) Better parts are both cheaper and easier to find in raid.

That said, 7.62 is serviceable and I run it alot because scavs drop alot of vepers and akm.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
7.62MM PS works well for awhile until you can essentially scavenge enough AK-74's and BP/BS 5.45 ammo from raids and scav runs to use regularly. I know people regularly advise running the SKS but I find in early game you're more likely to have AKM's and 7.62mm Veprs from scav runs around, and I would say that the AKM/Vepr is a much better option than the SKS in those cases. Important caveat for noobs though is that the .366 AKM/Vepr is complete garbage.

As well, once I believe you get level 2 workbench, you can turn 80rnds of 5.45mm PS ammo with x1 bolt into 240rnds of PP ammo, as well as take the lovely .366 AKM/Vepr and essentially turn it into a AK-74M (.366 AKM -> weapon parts, weapon parts + handgrip and stock -> AK074M)

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
The scarcity / high price of good guns and ammo is one of the things that's annoying me so far. It's all well and good to say, "this is early raid and people are supposed to be playing scrappier", but Ragman 2 sells a pretty cheap class 4 armor, which I already see many people running, and which invalidates a lot of guns. I want to play with 5.45 AKs, but PP ammo isn't enough, 700 roubles per round for BP/BT ammo is crazy, and having to scav reserve to scrounge up the ammo kind of sucks (and if you do this you're also faced with the opportunity cost of just selling the rounds instead). 7.62 AKs with PS ammo are not bad, but as others have mentioned you have to play them as a single fire weapon for any range past in-your-face, and if I'm playing at those ranges I'd rather have a mosin or a hunter. Speaking of which, though, 10-round mags for the hunter are going for 20k roubles each...

All that to say that this wipe has only decreased the variety of weapons I bring, and that the mosin is still king, baby.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ThePineapple posted:

The scarcity / high price of good guns and ammo is one of the things that's annoying me so far. It's all well and good to say, "this is early raid and people are supposed to be playing scrappier", but Ragman 2 sells a pretty cheap class 4 armor, which I already see many people running, and which invalidates a lot of guns. I want to play with 5.45 AKs, but PP ammo isn't enough, 700 roubles per round for BP/BT ammo is crazy

Gear is an investment. Sure you might occasionally facetap that guy wearing a slick in the face. But the fact is you'll get better returns if you run better gear, and that goes double for ammo. Don't skimp and it won't let you down.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I understand that, I'm just saying that mid last wipe (when I started playing) it felt like there were many budget options that could be dangerous to all players, while this wipe so far those options do not feel budget anymore.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

ThePineapple posted:

I understand that, I'm just saying that mid last wipe (when I started playing) it felt like there were many budget options that could be dangerous to all players, while this wipe so far those options do not feel budget anymore.

It’s most definitely the market scarcity from FIR items. I don’t mind it being a bit more locked down, and it’s ultimately a great change, but it has affected the earlier gun meta a bit.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Apparently bsg hosed around and added packet encryption through battleeye today, that rules

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oysters Autobio posted:

Important caveat for noobs though is that the .366 AKM/Vepr is complete garbage.

.366 EKO is 30 pen 68 dmg, it’s absolutely usable early wipe if you get a scav loadout with the right ammo. FMJ is only 23 pen but 93 dmg so amazing early, early wipe. Plus no one’s gonna take your poo poo. If 7.62 PS still cuts the mustard (probably not so much after a week of drops) then EKO is just as good.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Lol k bud

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

?? he sells an ak and its loaded with amazing ammo, its a great buy and what i used all the way to 10 this time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s more important good ammo or good armor?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gabriel S. posted:

Ammo IMO.

You'd rather be dishing out damage and killing targets before they get a chance to turn around and potentially one tap you via your face.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gabriel S. posted:

Ammo. Armor can absolutely win you engagements but there is a big difference between double tapping thorax with good ammo and wasting an entire magazine on denting it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best map for looting and being able to escape without getting killed? I like Reserves but getting out is hard.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Gabriel S. posted:

What's the best map for looting and being able to escape without getting killed? I like Reserves but getting out is hard.

It's boring as poo poo but doing hidden stash runs on Interchange is a relatively safe way to get easy items/money. The wiki has a map of them all; there's a route you can take around the west edge of the map that hits ~10 of them. The only dangers are one spot where you have to walk through/near the scav highway camp and if you happen to run into anyone doing the same thing as you.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Had a weird and lucky couple of runs today.

I was in Customs, lightly geared with a dinky little Saiga-9 and because I forgot to bring a key with me for a quest I ended up saying gently caress it and just going to the gas station to see if I could kill anyone. I somehow managed to kill one of Reshala's minions:

https://i.imgur.com/bk2mutw.mp4

I think I managed to tag him in the face right at the end there, because my bullets seemed to be doing nothing elsewise. Luckily, there was a PMC on the other side of the station that was keeping the rest of them occupied, so I was able to loot his armored rig and helmet which were both Level 4; I'm pretty sure this is the first time I ever got Level 4 armor. I also got his sweet modded AK and a bunch of grenades and meds.

On the next raid I repaired the armor and slapped a visor on the helmet; I ended up back at the gas station and this time managed to wipe out all four minions and Reshala, the first time I've ever done that. I wish I'd been a bit more brave with my looting but I chickened out after getting 2 morphines which I needed for a quest, I probably could've taken more rigs and stuff out if I'd been careful.

Then of course I got totally over confident in my next few raids thinking I was Mr Thick and lost it all, but it was fun whilst it lasted! I'm actually thinking this might be a new route to getting gear, if I can replicate it. But you can take down geared guys (scavs, admittedly) with poor ammo and a bit of luck!

Edit:

i vomit kittens posted:

It's boring as poo poo but doing hidden stash runs on Interchange is a relatively safe way to get easy items/money. The wiki has a map of them all; there's a route you can take around the west edge of the map that hits ~10 of them. The only dangers are one spot where you have to walk through/near the scav highway camp and if you happen to run into anyone doing the same thing as you.

Yeah basically this. If I need to make a bit of cash I just go into Interchange. If I'm PMC I don't even bother going into the main building, just work my around the edge; there's a route that takes you from one extract to the other so you just follow it whichever way depending where you spawn. If I'm a scav and I spawn inside on the ground floor I usually head for the offices in OLI and hit up the PCs for parts. If I scav in on the top floor I head for Techlight, then downstairs to the tech store at the bottom of the escalator and then to Rasmussen.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 10, 2020

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Hey guys, Illusive(on Discord) here, wanna know how to get 5.45 ammo for practically free?

First get to level 10 and open up the Flea Market.
(Not level 10 yet? See below.)

1. Buy Horse Figurines for anything under 12000. Usually they usually go for around 9000 - 10000

2. Trade two Horse Figurines in for an AKS-74U from Prapor. No Limit Per Reset. Trades also count towards your money spent with the trader.

3. Remove the mags full of 5.45 BP and put them with a gun you actually want to use. I suggest an AK-74N because it doesn't fold and the bigger the gun, the more likely it is to come back to you.

4. Put empty AKS-74U up on Flea Market for 18000 to 20000.

5. You can't put the ammo from the guns you buy on the Flea Market.

So your not level 10. Join discord. Join some Goon Factory Murder Stacks. You can get 4000+ xp for murdering scavs.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gabriel S. posted:

Shoreline stash runs are super safe as long as you pay attention and even safer when you have a decent understanding of map flow.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

South posted:

So your not level 10. Join discord. Join some Goon Factory Murder Stacks. You can get 4000+ xp for murdering scavs.

Anyone have the discord link? It's not in the OP

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Oysters Autobio posted:

Anyone have the discord link? It's not in the OP

Check PGS.

e: I am wrong, check the old OP.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836796

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sorry added the discord link to the op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

shoreline stash runs are relatively quiet yeah, theyve been a bit more active this wipe but its still pretty low risk

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've been having a possible bug this wipe. The first two times I thought I just lost them, but now I think it's a bug. I'll light someone up, two. Or three good hits, and they'll run. I'll run over to where they were and hear a lot of pain sounds, like they're running on barbed wire. Then theres a death sound, but no body and no kills in post raid. I'll re enable GeForce to see if I can catch it

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
So the cursed and marked thing for hatchlings? I guess that's active, because we were doing woods at night as a group and one guy was going in with just his hatchet. Each time we got swarmed by scavs, we were hiding in the bunkers and scavs kept coming down the stairs directly into our bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I've been having a possible bug this wipe. The first two times I thought I just lost them, but now I think it's a bug. I'll light someone up, two. Or three good hits, and they'll run. I'll run over to where they were and hear a lot of pain sounds, like they're running on barbed wire. Then theres a death sound, but no body and no kills in post raid. I'll re enable GeForce to see if I can catch it

Was it in the last day or two? I've had a few desync kills caused by lovely servers. They have been acting up for me recently in the last few days.

Assuming you're talking about something like this: I was prone on first floor of white pawn, dumped 20 rounds into someone as he walked past and he made it up to second floor before he died.