Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

We need a horror game that captures the existential terror of unskippable bad dialogue and games writing

But David Cage has been making games for over 20 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh snap.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

al-azad posted:

But David Cage has been making games for over 20 years?

:discourse:

I also would have accepted Frictional Games.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 3, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Discendo Vox posted:

:discourse:

I also would have accepted Frictional Games.

Don't think you're going to find nearly as many people to go down that road with you.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Lifeglug posted:

After playing Observation, I'm really looking for some more sci-fi horror games to play like that. A more grounded in reality thriller; No jump scares sorta like Observation is. I'm really struggling to think of much else that could fit the description. More walking simulation-y and investigation rather than twitchy combat focussed.

I've played Alien: Isolation, SOMA, Prey, SS1-2 but I can't really think of many more that could fill this gap.

Oh Routine, where are you?

Stories Untold by the same developer is really good, it’s more about puzzle solving than jump scares.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

Stories Untold by the same developer is really good, it’s more about puzzle solving than jump scares.

Yeah, I'll second that. I initially bounced off of Stories Untold because the parser in the first game is kind of frustrating, but overall it's very good and does a lot of the same sort of neat interface things that Observation does. I really hated the ending, but not enough to ruin the rest of the game.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
get even is not a horror game. it's a psychological mystery where the twist throws out most of the plot, with no enemy variety and one gun that has a kinda neat gimmick. the sound design is out of this world, at least.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Opinions on layers of fear 2?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

oldpainless posted:

Play the first one instead, the second one is underwhelming.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wasn't really a fan, either. It's a really generic game and the "psychological horror" thing is just complete bullshit. The story has all the psychological depth of a rain puddle.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What Layers of Fear is good at is being a very solid spooky dark ride from your nearest carnival/amusement park

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What Layers of Fear is good at is being a very solid spooky dark ride from your nearest carnival/amusement park

Obligatory

https://youtu.be/B0fm2lRrEg0

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Falls in line with haunted house/dark ride rules imo, though I'm convinced that there is no way that wasn't meant to be something funny included by the devs if only to lighten the mood a bit even though, much like haunted houses and dark rides, you can make it all kinds of silly by looking out for how stuff works and exploiting it :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Eh, could be either. Wouldn't be the first time a game tries to be scary or dramatic and only comes across as ridiculous.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You can do that with pretty much any horror game, especially if you find one thing to pick apart and spend ten minutes cackling about it on Youtube. Another reason why streaming is a terrible way to check out most horror games, it adds another layer of removal from it when the experience is more the streamer rather than the game itself.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You can do that with pretty much any horror game, especially if you find one thing to pick apart and spend ten minutes cackling about it on Youtube. Another reason why streaming is a terrible way to check out most horror games, it adds another layer of removal from it when the experience is more the streamer rather than the game itself.

I dunno man, that scene would be pretty silly even without a streamer commenting about it. Especially when the kid wipes themselves out.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

oldpainless posted:

The Layers of Fear games are... I would call them interesting, but I think they kinda mislabel themselves by being advertised as "horror games". What they are instead are dramatic games, less about the terror of a boogaboo ghost and more about the much more interesting horror of (spoilers for themes) narcissism, alcoholism, and the scars this can leave. I liked the first one enough to play through all the endings and the DLC; the second one.... I think it's the lesser of the two in practically every way, but I don't... not recommend it? If that makes sense?

I wouldn't pay more than $5, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s much more spooky carnival ride with realistic theming than it is silent hill. not necessarily a bad thing. Just different.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Been a long while since I played it, and I haven't played Layers of Fear 2 at all, I remember liking it overall though, it was a fun ride with some neat visuals. There's some corny and heavy-handed stuff, but this is video game's we're talking about. Silent Hill 2, one of my favorites ever, has plenty of outright goofy moments.

Just this thing where streamers/reviewers proclaim loudly how x game isn't scary at all then highlight a couple dumb parts is tired and adds nothing to the conversation. It's (almost) as bad as the ones who overreact to every jumpscare in a unity game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So apparently Devotion, the game that got taken off of Steam is getting a physical release in Taiwan so maybe there's some forward movement on it that may wind up with it being actually rereleased in other countries on Steam at some point. Hope so.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bogart posted:

It’s much more spooky carnival ride with realistic theming than it is silent hill. not necessarily a bad thing. Just different.

(its a bad thing)

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Layers of Fear is just another generic Bad Dad Punishment Simulator, the same kind that's been clogging up indie horror games for a few years except with better production values. Said production values result in some actual cool things, but it honestly would have been better if it ditched the plot and existed as a spooky walk through a haunted house with no justification given.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I dunno, Layers of Fear did some cool stuff with space and perspective. It created a decent feeling of dread and outright horror, some dinky jump scares aside. I'm not sure what it should have done to be a "good" horror game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Layers of Fear is spooky at times and it definitely has some good setpieces. It just feels a bit shallow? By the numbers? I don't really know how to express what it was that I disliked about it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

Layers of Fear is spooky at times and it definitely has some good setpieces. It just feels a bit shallow? By the numbers? I don't really know how to express what it was that I disliked about it.

I can see that. I wasn't blown away by it, but I think it can occupy a spot in the "I'm in the mood for a horror game but I've played everything else" tier of game. It does the job.

And I would like to agree with what was said earlier - if you go into a horror game intending not be afraid and not play along with the way the game is set up to be played, you will not enjoy it. If you stop and pull at the strings, it will fall apart. You kind of have to play by its rules to enjoy it, kind of like how technically you can go backstage at a Broadway play and watch the tired actors smoking cigarettes, but you'd have a much better time sitting in the audience watching. That is true for one hundred percent of horror games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I can see that. I wasn't blown away by it, but I think it can occupy a spot in the "I'm in the mood for a horror game but I've played everything else" tier of game. It does the job.
That it does, it's just also kind of damning with faint praise.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Layers of Fears aren't outstanding games but Bloober still has some of the best art design in the genre currently and they're worth playing for that reason, I M H O

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I just started playing RE7 last night. Still at the beginning, in the guest house, I went and got my hand cut off by Mia. Was that supposed to happen? Could I have prevented it? My dude really seemed to shrug it off but I can't imagine it won't cause issues.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

me your dad posted:

I just started playing RE7 last night. Still at the beginning, in the guest house, I went and got my hand cut off by Mia. Was that supposed to happen? Could I have prevented it? My dude really seemed to shrug it off but I can't imagine it won't cause issues.
Think of it as the extended intro cutscene and tutorial. If you don't die before dinner, you haven't done anything wrong yet.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Think of it as the extended intro cutscene and tutorial. If you don't die before dinner, you haven't done anything wrong yet.

Oh, I died shortly after that happened. I went into the game expecting to die. I had to do that to beat Bloodborne and I figured it was a good mindset for this game. As much as I love the idea of horror games, I often give up on playing them because of how intense they are because I forget that dying is okay.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You need to give Mia the axe... to her face.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

me your dad posted:

Oh, I died shortly after that happened. I went into the game expecting to die. I had to do that to beat Bloodborne and I figured it was a good mindset for this game. As much as I love the idea of horror games, I often give up on playing them because of how intense they are because I forget that dying is okay.
I meant that more in the sense that you can't really do anything wrong except for things that kill you, I just didn't want to spoil anything and being a bit oblique about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RE7 jumps around a lot making it feel like separate concepts smooshed together but there’s only one choice that matters in the game and then immediately punishes you for making the wrong choice which is so heavily telegraphed you’ll be mad they gave you a choice at all. Just enjoy the ride.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lol

My fiancee was looking through the Switch eShop and found a game she thought sounded neat, a horror game in a haunted house where you're trying to find your missing family

It was Gone Home

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

thebardyspoon posted:

So apparently Devotion, the game that got taken off of Steam is getting a physical release in Taiwan so maybe there's some forward movement on it that may wind up with it being actually rereleased in other countries on Steam at some point. Hope so.
i doubt it especially with newell releasing the chinese only censored steam client version

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Manager Hoyden posted:

And I would like to agree with what was said earlier - if you go into a horror game intending not be afraid and not play along with the way the game is set up to be played, you will not enjoy it. If you stop and pull at the strings, it will fall apart. You kind of have to play by its rules to enjoy it, kind of like how technically you can go backstage at a Broadway play and watch the tired actors smoking cigarettes, but you'd have a much better time sitting in the audience watching. That is true for one hundred percent of horror games.

i agree whole-heartedly with the overall sentiment, but the wording amused me because, man, if you don't think it's funny as hell to occasionally shove over the delicate house of cards that compromises the average horror game you have no heart, and if you don't think some of the low-effort asset-rip trash out there doesn't deserve it and isn't heightened by that approach you have no soul

E: I would argue even stuff like Man of Medan is elevated by critical appraisal of the humorous places in which it fails, and it actually seems to be trying and isn't really terrible, just mediocre.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Lol

My fiancee was looking through the Switch eShop and found a game she thought sounded neat, a horror game in a haunted house where you're trying to find your missing family

It was Gone Home

To be fair, it feels like a horror game for most of its run. When I picked up the crucifix in the basement and the lights went out, I backed out into the menu and went to make myself a long slow cup of tea.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I went through several different impressions playing that game. From "This is a spooky house horror game" to "Oh it isn't, but I think something bad happened to the girl and the game is leading me to the attic" to "Oh hey, everything's fine"

I highly recommend it, and to go in totally blind like that if possible

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Gone Home is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Danknificent posted:

Gone Home is cool and good

Yeah it ended up that way but it was totally sold as a horror game first and revealed as a bad writing collection later