Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I had to check to be sure but no, Glock is doing the normal gun industry smart thing of not making any statements at all until this blows over.

All of gun corp twitter looks to be completely automated, it's weird to see brands that aren't trying to ~engage~ but I guess it's better than the alternative. Also this sure is ominous:

https://twitter.com/Beretta_USA/status/1269698645009608705

https://twitter.com/MossbergCorp/status/1268979682717962242

The NRA did say this though lmao:

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/1267853361270927361

Oh so this actual case of people defending themselves against an overbearing state that the NRA has whined about forever is actually happening, so you definitely side with the people being oppressed right?

That Article posted:

Black activists in Minnesota say they're armed to protect black-owned businesses

Oh

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1269764653116162050

quote:

The severance packages for upper management include around nine months of pay and a little over two years of health-care coverage for at least some of the employees at the director level and above, one of the people said.

Sure am glad $25 billion went to airlines to distribute to the people who really need it. Meanwhile, I had to take a pay cut to keep my job. :thumbsup:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

We here at Glock are committed to ending racism and excessive police violence

Nah, Glock would say they are for equal opportunity/equality and arm both sides.

Edit: which is actually kinda true, since they became really popular due to rap videos/lyrics mentioning them. The company is a piece of poo poo though.

Mr Shiny Pants has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Jun 8, 2020

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Doggles posted:

Sure am glad $25 billion went to airlines to distribute to the people who really need it. Meanwhile, I had to take a pay cut to keep my job. :thumbsup:

The whole stimulus bill is just mindblowing... I mean it makes perfect sense when you think about it, but it is just so blatant.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

I had to check to be sure but no, Glock is doing the normal gun industry smart thing of not making any statements at all until this blows over.

All of gun corp twitter looks to be completely automated, it's weird to see brands that aren't trying to ~engage~ but I guess it's better than the alternative. Also this sure is ominous:

https://twitter.com/Beretta_USA/status/1269698645009608705

Normal that's one of the wildest tweets I've seen, just openly talking about taking out police/military(?) leaders like that and, I assume, leading a coup d'etat? I mean Jesus glock I know you're just trying to be cool and down with the kids these days and all that, but lowtax has been really clear he doesn't like that sort of talk around here! :colbert:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Some of these links were probably posted already but I compiled a few in response to people posting memes like this on social media:

Some people are acting like protests are going to bring America to its knees (and now Australia and other countries with their own solidarity protests), but America especially has been repeatedly expressing that they're willing to lose lives to save the economy.
The thing I find so concerning is how the global economy only really needed a few of weeks to fall into crisis. Not sure how people can look at that and say 'it's a good system, we can depend on this' if it falls to pieces anytime something remotely serious happens.

Trump: Some will die for economy's restart, but you're 'warriors'
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/trump-mask-coronavirus-reopen-bright-fauci-task-force-primary-1.44409243

GOP senator calls on Trump to reopen parts of the coronavirus-stricken economy because 'death is an unavoidable part of life'
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/gop-senator-open-economy-coronavirus-death-unavoidable-part-johnson-life-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Favoring the economy over Americans' health "is the lesser of two evils," Rep. Trey Hollingsworth.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-congressman-says-he-s-willing-let-more-americans-die-n1184036

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick: ‘Lots of Grandparents’ Willing to Die to Save Economy for Grandchildren
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/dan-patrick-seniors-are-willing-to-die-to-save-economy.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

Some of these links were probably posted already but I compiled a few in response to people posting memes like this on social media:

Some people are acting like protests are going to bring America to its knees (and now Australia and other countries with their own solidarity protests), but America especially has been repeatedly expressing that they're willing to lose lives to save the economy.
The thing I find so concerning is how the global economy only really needed a few of weeks to fall into crisis. Not sure how people can look at that and say 'it's a good system, we can depend on this' if it falls to pieces anytime something remotely serious happens.

Trump: Some will die for economy's restart, but you're 'warriors'
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/trump-mask-coronavirus-reopen-bright-fauci-task-force-primary-1.44409243

GOP senator calls on Trump to reopen parts of the coronavirus-stricken economy because 'death is an unavoidable part of life'
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/gop-senator-open-economy-coronavirus-death-unavoidable-part-johnson-life-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Favoring the economy over Americans' health "is the lesser of two evils," Rep. Trey Hollingsworth.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-congressman-says-he-s-willing-let-more-americans-die-n1184036

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick: ‘Lots of Grandparents’ Willing to Die to Save Economy for Grandchildren
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/dan-patrick-seniors-are-willing-to-die-to-save-economy.html

Those look like stupid centrist hot takes though so posting evidence that republicans are vampires that want to murder people at the altar of the economy probably just reenforces their view that both sides are wrong and the truth is in the middle (where I don't actually have to change or do anything or protest or be inconvenienced by protests)

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

that's funny, I was watching an educational film about gushers and fruit by the foot just the other day

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SubnormalityStairs posted:

that's funny, I was watching an educational film about gushers and fruit by the foot just the other day

what did you learn

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1269969652106526721

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

If these people can't understand the difference between protesting to get a haircut and protesting an authoritarian police force that murders innocent people of color every day, then they completely lack any form of critical thinking or empathy and there is no hope for them.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mushika posted:

If these people can't understand the difference between protesting to get a haircut and protesting an authoritarian police force that murders innocent people of color every day, then they completely lack any form of critical thinking or empathy and there is no hope for them.

yes you just described a centrist

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this needs to get out there

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Doggles posted:

Airline: we absolutely cannot survive without a bailout. You MUST give us billions of dollars or face a transportation collapse!

Government: brrrrrrrrrrrr

Airline: Nice *fills duffel bags with cash and bolts for the door*

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

the only real reasons the economy is threatened at all are because the government is intent on protecting the incomes of bankers and landlords, and because it's incredibly reluctant to subsidize the incomes of the people who've been ordered to stay home

like, think about why a toy store would be in crisis if it were shut down for two months. after all, it's not ordering new merchandise, it's not incurring normal operational costs, no wear and tear or anything like that. the only expenses it has while shut down are payroll and rent. and payroll is mostly being resolved by furloughs and temporary firings. so that just leaves rent

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

the only real reasons the economy is threatened at all are because the government is intent on protecting the incomes of bankers and landlords, and because it's incredibly reluctant to subsidize the incomes of the people who've been ordered to stay home

like, think about why a toy store would be in crisis if it were shut down for two months. after all, it's not ordering new merchandise, it's not incurring normal operational costs, no wear and tear or anything like that. the only expenses it has while shut down are payroll and rent. and payroll is mostly being resolved by furloughs and temporary firings. so that just leaves rent

Unless it's a really small toy store, a lot if not most of its merchandise is not paid for yet.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Under communism the stocks will never go down*.

*or up

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

bag em and tag em posted:

Airline: we absolutely cannot survive without a bailout. You MUST give us billions of dollars or face a transportation collapse!

Government: brrrrrrrrrrrr

Airline: Nice *fills duffel bags with cash and bolts for the door*

...And fires half the staff regardless!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Unless it's a really small toy store, a lot if not most of its merchandise is not paid for yet.

Yeah hence the "protecting the interests of bankers and landlords" bit

Most governments that have responded decently to this have tried to negotiate rental freezes, debt repayment holidays etc because otherwise after the dust settles the only things left will be online retailers based out of container warehouses in China

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Jun 8, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bike tory posted:

Yeah hence the "protecting the interests of bankers and landlords" bit

Most governments that have responded decently to this have tried to negotiate rental freezes, debt repayment holidays etc because otherwise after the dust settles the only things left will be online retailers based out of container warehouses in China

They don't owe money for inventory to banks, but to suppliers, who in turn owe it to manufacturers (with probably several steps in-between).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Korean MMOs had texture rentals for over a decade, glad to see the West finally catching up.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

bring back old gbs posted:

this needs to get out there

I just yelled at my brother who works at pwc. He's not a partner, I hope he nuts up[ and says something

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Mushika posted:

Tashilicious posted:

yes you just described a centrist

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol they even put a liberal party of canada pin
the most centrist lib party.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

God help me I cant even figure out what the intended message here is. Is it a south park style "everyone's wrong except me the smug guy" or are they saying the chud protests were good? IS there even a message?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Danaru posted:

God help me I cant even figure out what the intended message here is. Is it a south park style "everyone's wrong except me the smug guy" or are they saying the chud protests were good? IS there even a message?

"liberals are hypocrites because they don't support protests to kill thousands by reopening non essential businesses while they DO support protests in favour of basic human rights. Both are protests during covid-19 and therefore there is no difference. I am very smart"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

From an email:

quote:

The senseless acts of racism and violence that have unfolded over the last several weeks have been a deeply upsetting reminder for everyone that equality is not yet a reality.
Within Goldman Sachs, it is our mission to promote inclusion, diversity and equality. But we can do more.

:allears:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Shame Boy posted:

From an email:

they could be doing a lot more, I’ll give them that much

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

From an email:

Jesus Christ, someone at Goldman actually wrote that and looked themselves in the mirror. I keep thinking aboutBaudrillard and Umberto Eco and Disneyworld.

quote:

The "fake nature" of Disneyland satisfies our imagination and daydream fantasies in real life. The idea is that nothing in this world is real. Nothing is original, but all are endless copies of reality. Since we do not imagine the reality of simulations, both imagined and real are equally hyperreal, for example, the numerous simulated rides, including the submarine ride and the Mississippi boat tour. When entering Disneyland, consumers form into lines to gain access to each attraction. Then they are ordered by people with special uniforms to follow the rules, such as where to stand or where to sit. If the consumers follow each rule correctly, they can enjoy "the real thing" and see things that are not available to them outside of Disneyland's doors.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Danaru posted:

It's a meme calling liberals out as hypocrites by acting like both protest groups are equally legitimate and have no differences since they're both about 'people's rights'. It's obviously biased by having more provocative/unpatriotic imagery (for white nationalists at least) for the BLM group, then having the liberal character say 'yes that protest with the burning flags and clashes with police is fine'.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Jun 10, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

JackBandit posted:

Jesus Christ, someone at Goldman actually wrote that and looked themselves in the mirror.

Tricky when they have no reflection

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

JackBandit posted:

Jesus Christ, someone at Goldman actually wrote that and looked themselves in the mirror. I keep thinking aboutBaudrillard and Umberto Eco and Disneyworld.

This reminds me that I always found parts of like California adventure funny because you’re going to fake LA when you’re next to real LA and the fake sierra/San Bernardino mountains/whatever when you can go to the real one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

This reminds me that I always found parts of like California adventure funny because you’re going to fake LA when you’re next to real LA and the fake sierra/San Bernardino mountains/whatever when you can go to the real one

I grew up in Florida and they ran a bunch of ads for California Adventure when it first opened and for a very long time I thought it was a theme park at Disney World here because why the hell would you build a California themed theme park in California

Disney's (well, Mike Eisner's) whole idea was they wanted to keep you on-property for your whole vacation, and people would go to Disneyland but then go off to see the rest of California, so what if we just bring the California to you??? It's one of those ideas that sounded great in Eisner's head and I assume nobody wanted to tell him it was stupid.

The Defunctland ep about Superstar Limo goes into it a bit, as well as being about Superstar Limo, the most bizarrely awful ride they ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2L-bZiqckM

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ziv Zulander posted:

they could be doing a lot more, I’ll give them that much

I think they've done quite enough, actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

French take exception to Disneyland grooming rules
New York Times News Service
THE BALTIMORE SUN

NOISY LE GRAND, France -- Should the French have to shave every day and wear underwear for a Mickey Mouse job?

Walt Disney Co., which is in the midst of hiring about 12,000 people to maintain and populate its Euro Disneyland theme park near Paris, thinks so. But in making detailed rules on acceptable clothing, hairstyles and jewelry part of its terms of employment, the company finds itself caught in a legal and cultural dispute.

The controversy has risen above the usual labor squabble as critics in the press, at universities and elsewhere have joined in asking how brash Americans could be so insensitive to French culture, individualism and privacy.

Most of the critics, and many people on the street, seem amazed, if not amused, that Disney found it necessary to put such a subjective and personal hygiene code in writing, and to make its violation a firing offense for everyone from the actors portraying Mickey and Minnie who greet visitors to the chambermaids cleaning hotel rooms.

Disney executives say the planned April 12 opening of the $4.2 billion complex in Marne-La-Vallee, 20 miles east of Paris, is unlikely to be delayed by the conflict, which is being investigated by a district court. But they insist that any ruling that bars them from imposing squeaky-clean employment standards could threaten the image and long-term success of the park.

"For us, the appearance code has a great effect from a product-identification standpoint," said Thor Degelmann, vice president for human resources for Euro Disneyland, which has its headquarters in Noisy Le Grand. Mr. Degelmann, an American from Los Angeles, is in charge of hiring for the theme park.

"Without it, we wouldn't be presenting the Disney product that people would be expecting," he added. "It would be like going to see a production of 'Hamlet' in which everyone looked different than you expected. Would you ever go again?"

The rules, spelled out in a video presentation for job applicants and detailed in a guidebook, "Le Euro Disneyland Look," go way beyond height and weight standards. They require men's hair to be cut above the collar and ears, with no beards or mustaches. Any tattoos must be covered.

Women must keep their hair in one "natural color" with no frosting or streaking, and they may make only "limited use" of makeup like mascara. False eyelashes, eyeliner and eyebrow pencil are completely off limits. Fingernails can't pass the ends of the fingers.

As for jewelry, women can wear only one earring in each ear, with the earring's diameter no more than 2 centimeters (about three-quarters of an inch). Neither men nor women can wear more than one ring on each hand.

Further, women are required to wear "appropriate undergarments" and only transparent pantyhose, not black or anything with fancy designs.

Similar rules are in force at Disney's three other amusement parks in the United States and Japan.

Though a daily bath is not specifically mentioned in the rules, the applicants' video depicts a shower scene and informs applicants that they are expected to show up for work "fresh and clean each day."

In the United States, some unions representing Disney employees have occasionally protested the company's strict appearance code, but with little success.

French labor unions began protesting the regulations in September, when Euro Disneyland opened its "casting center" at its corporate headquarters and began interviewing thousands of applicants who responded to the company's ubiquitous ad campaign, which invited job-seekers to "play the role of your life" and to take a "unique opportunity to marry work and magic."

The Communist-led Confederation Generale du Travail (General Confederation of Labor) handed out leaflets in front of the center to warn applicants of the appearance code, which represented "an attack on individual liberty," it contended.

A more mainstream union, the Confederation Francaise Democratique du Travail (CFTD) appealed to the Labor Ministry to halt what it termed Disney's violation of "human dignity."

The conflict became more serious on Dec. 2, when a government labor inspector lodged a formal complaint against the company, prompting a preliminary investigation by the prosecutor's office that sources say is likely to lead to court action in the weeks ahead.

The complaint charged that the appearance rules constituted a form of disciplinary code that applied to all employees and should therefore, under French labor law, be included in the company's internal employment regulations instead of as an attachment to the employment contract.

The legal nuance is important, because if the code was written into internal regulations, it would first have to win the approval of the national labor inspector's office. A government official said it would be difficult for Disney's particular restrictions to win approval, because they appeared to have little bearing on the work of all employees.

"In certain cases, I could see a connection, but certainly not for 12,000 people," the official said.

Robert Chabin, an official of the CFDT, said that "no more than 700" employees would be involved in theatrical work at the park -- parades, bands and the like -- and that for the other positions, the code "cannot be justified by necessity."

French law prohibits employers from restricting individual and collective liberties unless the restrictions can be justified by the nature of the task to be accomplished and are proportional to that end.

But beyond whatever legal prescriptions arise, it is clear that many French people feel stung by the whole episode. Roger Blancpain, a professor of labor law and president of the International Industrial Relations Association, based in Geneva, said Disney's code represented a frontal assault on French and European social standards.

"A certain kind of underwear?" he asked. "There's a limit, and that's going too far."

He insisted that Euro Disneyland management "should have been aware of the environment it was operating in and shown more sensitivity."

Mr. Degelmann, however, said the company was "well aware of the cultural differences" between the United States and France, and as a result had "toned down" the wording in the restrictions from the original U.S. version.

He said the conflict resulted from a "lack of understanding" about the nature of a Disney park.

Many other companies, particularly airlines, maintained appearance codes just as strict, he added. "We happened to put ours in writing," he said.

A generalized code, he said, was required because employees in "backstage" positions might be asked on any given day to assume a job that would involve contact with the public, and therefore all workers needed to maintain an appearance appropriate for that possibility.

In any case, he said he knew of no one who had refused to take a job because of the rules.

But Stephane Baudet, a 28-year-old trumpet player from Paris, said in an interview that he refused to audition for a job in a Disney brass band when he learned he would have to cut his ponytail, which flaps a few inches over his collar. He said that he was also dissuaded by the long hours and low pay -- 6,000 francs ($1,150) a month, or about 20 percent more than the French minimum wage.

"Some people will turn themselves into a pumpkin to work at Euro Disneyland," he said. "But not me."

The Soviet Union dissolved the day after this story ran.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:25 on Jun 10, 2020

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Platystemon posted:

Rad stylin'

Sorry how can Disney of all corporations say 'extreme style' is unacceptable

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aidan_702 posted:

It's just far to much rad for those squares to handle alas. :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

This is also the era where they were banning "homosexual fast dancing" so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How are you expected to grow a beard without getting stubble? Either you get hired with one or you remain clean shaven?