Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That saga perfectly captures the anxiety of home ownership. Oh god there's a hole in the ground, a sink hole's gonna swallow my house! :derp: Wait maybe it's just a mud dobber. The internet- no it's probably a sinkhole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I googled the symptoms and it's definitely house cancer.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Jaded Burnout posted:

BRB, registering webgc.com

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jaded Burnout posted:

Symptoms may include:

Strange odors
Creaking noises
Wall cracks
Back pain
Low water pressure
High water pressure
Loose flagstones
Flickering LED bulbs
Black mold
Insomnia
Wall bees
Attic squirrels
Feelings of dread

and in rare cases:
Death

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Is there a major difference in cooling costs for a house that has a modern "kitchen-dining-living room" blob versus an older-style "all of our rooms are actually rooms" type floorplan?

I know the former style frequently has vaulted ceilings which are certainly worse, but if both of them had vaulted ceilings would the extra walls be helping or hurting?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

Is there a major difference in cooling costs for a house that has a modern "kitchen-dining-living room" blob versus an older-style "all of our rooms are actually rooms" type floorplan?

I know the former style frequently has vaulted ceilings which are certainly worse, but if both of them had vaulted ceilings would the extra walls be helping or hurting?

You'd be able to better separate climate zones, e.g. keep the kitchen cooler than the bathroom or whatever. Means you could focus your energy where it's most needed.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I’ve got an old window air conditioner on a shed in my yard. It blows cool, but not cold, air. Coils, radiator, air filter all seem clean enough. When it runs, plenty of condensation drips out the back.

Does it need a recharge? Something with the thermostat? Should I just dumpster it and get another one? Will it be able to keep up with a 12x20 uninsulated space and keep it bearable in a TN Summer?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Recharging is probably not worth it if it's not working. We'd need to know the BTUs and age. How insulated is this shed?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm installing an anti-tip device for a gas range. Fastening it to the kitchen floor. Floor is ceramic tile, with wood subfloor. Should I be using masonry screws (like Tapcon), or wood screws? "Most" of the screw will be biting into wood subfloor since the tile is comparatively thin (standard 13x13inch tiles).

\/ I thought that might be the case. Thanks!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 8, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

melon cat posted:

I'm installing an anti-tip device for a gas range. Fastening it to the kitchen floor. Floor is ceramic tile, with wood subfloor. Should I be using masonry screws (like Tapcon), or wood screws? "Most" of the screw will be biting into wood subfloor since the tile is comparatively thin (standard 13x13inch tiles).
Pre-drill with a masonry bit, then use wood screws. Honestly most masonry screws are of a reasonably appropriate thread size to hold in wood pretty well anyway though.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

tater_salad posted:

Recharging is probably not worth it if it's not working. We'd need to know the BTUs and age. How insulated is this shed?

Kinda figured that.

8000 BTU. Shed is uninsulated - just plywood. I’d like to insulate it eventually, but we have other house priorities first. I wouldn’t want to cool it full time, just while I’m tinkering. Heck, if working from home continues, I may set it up as my office for the 1-2 days a week I don’t need to be on the shop floor at work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Kinda figured that.

8000 BTU. Shed is uninsulated - just plywood. I’d like to insulate it eventually, but we have other house priorities first. I wouldn’t want to cool it full time, just while I’m tinkering. Heck, if working from home continues, I may set it up as my office for the 1-2 days a week I don’t need to be on the shop floor at work.

a big question is what is the temp differential.. IE the air coming into the unit vs going out of the unit.. if the shed is 90°F, you're not going to get ice cold air blowing out of it you'll at best get like 70°F air coming at you

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have an issue with a small garden fence. It's about 20 feet long and 4 feet high, with 8 posts and 4 horizontal boards between each. We've only been here 2 years, and the white paint on it has started to badly chip and peel. I am concerned about how much paint has gotten into the soil around it and also with repainting the fence safely for the garden. I'd appreciate any spontaneous :words: but also I have a few specific questions

1. do i need a special kind of paint or stain? I am not sure what they used but obviously it didnt hold. in my basement is some exterior white paint and also some rustoleum "hammered" paint and primer spray that the previous owners left. I assume they used one of these.

2. any particular extra precautions I need to take other than covering the ground around the fence while I sand/chip the old paint and apply whatever new stuff?

3. would I be better off taking the boards between the posts down and painting or staining them separately in a more appropriate environment?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2 questions:
1. 1947 house in Seattle -- did they typically have tile drainage around the foundation, or something similar? I was looking at what's needed for a basement egress window and for drainage they usually tie into that. Is there any way to tell otherwise?

2. If there is a floor drain in the basement, and it goes to a 4" sewer line, can a toilet be put there without a pump? The rest of the toilets (from upstairs) go to a sewer on the other side of the house. This one is for the kitchen and laundry.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
How do you deal with things that are painted shut? In this house, some idiot way back when painted everything without tape, including several wood-frame windows and the loving gas shutoff valve for some reason. I'd like to be able to open windows and shut off the gas.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

HolHorsejob posted:

How do you deal with things that are painted shut? In this house, some idiot way back when painted everything without tape, including several wood-frame windows and the loving gas shutoff valve for some reason. I'd like to be able to open windows and shut off the gas.

Stanley knife down the edges to break the paint, rubber mallet or prybar to persuade it open, expect to repair & touchup the paint afterwards.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah depends on how delicate you want to be, you can start with a little heat or stripper before scrape or hitting with a wire brush/wheel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there any meaningful downside to cleaning stuff with vodka instead of isopropanol? Because I need to clean stuff and I have vodka but I sure as heck don't have any isopropyl alcohol lying about.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is there any meaningful downside to cleaning stuff with vodka instead of isopropanol? Because I need to clean stuff and I have vodka but I sure as heck don't have any isopropyl alcohol lying about.

There's water in it, for sure. I suppose that's also true of iso? Is it diluted with water or something else? I don't know.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
In the US at least, vodka is 40% ABV, so while it's still a reasonable disinfectant/solvent it's more than half water by volume. Isopropyl is available in 92% and 75%.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Stack Machine posted:

In the US at least, vodka is 40% ABV, so while it's still a reasonable disinfectant/solvent it's more than half water by volume. Isopropyl is available in 92% and 75%.

This backs up the claim that some water dilution is a good thing for disinfection and 70% is the sweet spot. https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/why-is-70-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-a-better-disinfectant-than-99-isopropanol-and-what-is-ipa-used-for/

I haven’t seen anything for sale lately except the 50% junk Menards sells. https://www.menards.com/main/p-1488352854408.htm

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

This backs up the claim that some water dilution is a good thing for disinfection and 70% is the sweet spot. https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/why-is-70-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-a-better-disinfectant-than-99-isopropanol-and-what-is-ipa-used-for/

This is what I've heard too, though for cleaning rather than disinfecting I don't know which is better. I prefer to keep high percentage stuff because I can use it more easily on electronics (evaporates quickly) and dilute it if I really have to homebrew some hand sanitizer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm very out of the loop so forgive me if this is a dumb question: are there decent stud finders out in the market now? I remember reading years ago people complaining about density based finders being shite, but is something like this reliable now? Thanks!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Just use a big fuckoff magnet to find the screws on the studs. Also works on steel obviously.

I keep a 1” dia 1/2 thick neodymium magnet for this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Just use a big fuckoff magnet to find the screws on the studs. Also works on steel obviously.

I keep a 1” dia 1/2 thick neodymium magnet for this.

Oh yeah I'm already planning on buying a super fuckin strong magnet because the last 3 apartments I've lived in were all drywall :suicide:

Just wondering about recs/people's experiences with electronic stud finders, since they would be a godsend if they worked.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh yeah I'm already planning on buying a super fuckin strong magnet because the last 3 apartments I've lived in were all drywall :suicide:

Just wondering about recs/people's experiences with electronic stud finders, since they would be a godsend if they worked.

This appears to be the thread favourite, so much so I bought one myself, and while I've not used it in anger yet it seems to do the job well when testing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0195K8OT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Slow drain in kitchen sink only but nothing in the trap, what’s a cheap starting point in trying to asses this?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Next step is a small pipe snake. You can use that to make sure the sink to trap line is clear then plunge it into the wall and see if you feel anything or can clear it. If that doesn't work find a bigger pipe snake. Beyond pipe snake land it's time to call a plumber IMO because they'll have someone operating a borescope/auger setup that can visually locate the clog. I had this done once on a washing machine drain and the cast iron pipe was clogged with rust like 20 feet in.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One kitchen sink clog we tried using a plunger. Seemed good, sink drained again. Apparently it just moved the clog further down though, cuz then the next time we ran the washing machine, when it hit a drain cycle the drain hose wall connection started fountaining. The landlord came with a snake and fixed it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

As others suggested a razor blade for things where that makes sense. For metal things such as gas shutoff you might find better luck in a wire brush, solvents (careful if there are gaskets), and a cheater bar/wrench to lever yourself free. If it's thick you might be able to literally cut and peel a good chunk of paint off. Latex paint peels really well once liberated from the surface.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Does Lowes not sell rubbing stones to recondition a wetsaw blade? I'm about to start cutting tile and my blade is pretty well glazed over, but I'm not finding any on the website, just whetstones. Am I using the wrong term?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Roof question / reality check:

After opening the blinds in my bedroom for the first time in like a year, I discovered a water stain on the ceiling. A quick trip to the attic revealed no leaking pex or anything, but the water spot is directly under the roof penetration for the dryer vent damper.

On the roof, the problem was immediately obvious. My damper is busted. You can see along the top corner and the entire left edge that the spot welds or whatever are undone:

(this photo was taken after I scraped away some dried, old caulk that was previously applied, which means it was broken when it was installed and they didn't bother replacing it which is infuriating. My house was built in 2013 and no one has been up there since).

Anyways, I happened to have an opened tube of this stuff laying around for some reason so I went up there and put a gently caress ton of it in the gap, basically sealing it to the shingles:

Is this repair likely to hold at all, or should I just go ahead and call up a roofing company to replace the damper?

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 11, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It will hold for a non-zero amount of time by the looks of it :v:

I'll leave it to more seasoned eyes for further assessment.

I think another possible way to repair it a bit stronger would have been to JB Weld/Epoxy the seam back together before then sealing the joint with some sort of exterior rated caulk (I think your roofing stuff would be fine here). I would also suggest that you check your attic space to see what water damage may be up there from this leak. The ceiling spot in your house sounds like it's not too bad so perhaps after the area dries for a few weeks a coat of Kilz primer and then paint would take care of the drywall.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I did see the back side of the drywall from the attic, it's very minimal and completely dry right now. No sign of mold or anything. It's hot here and hasn't rained for a while.

I thought about trying what you suggested with epoxying the metal seam back together but it's really warped or something, even sitting on the damper i wasn't able to get the seam back down flush. I think it's because the vent is rigid but the base plate is nailed down to my not-perfectly-flat roof surface. That's when I said gently caress it and filled the whole thing up with roof cement.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Johnny Truant posted:

I don't think I've ever had one work when I needed it to. Either the wall was lovely and had too much moisture, or it was lath and plaster, or who knows what the gently caress else. I've tried a few different stud finders over the years, all of them equally terrible.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got some exterior wood (porch, stair rail, door frame) that I need to sand down and repaint. There's some cracks and gaps in parts, is there a good wood filler I can buy to fix them up before I paint? This is in New Jersey, so there will be a good amount of seasonal freeze-thaw.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
My crawdad friend may have perished. Unless they sleep on their side... :ohdear:

Also in order for it to be house cancer, wouldn't they have to be crabs?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toebone posted:

I've got some exterior wood (porch, stair rail, door frame) that I need to sand down and repaint. There's some cracks and gaps in parts, is there a good wood filler I can buy to fix them up before I paint? This is in New Jersey, so there will be a good amount of seasonal freeze-thaw.

In my experience most wood fill is the same. If these are small cracks you should be fine, even for outdoors. If your paint has a sealing component, great. Otherwise use a sealer after painting and you should be golden.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Stack Machine posted:

Also in order for it to be house cancer, wouldn't they have to be crabs?

womp womp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Tell me about removing the texture on my orange peel walls. We want to put up some decorative trim for a feature wall, but need to get rid of this first. House is a year old, wall is painted white