Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Sure is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Babylon Chonk

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oops my mistake. It left my memory like it left its time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TraderStav posted:

I believe the story was that Babylon 5 was constructed with incredibly tight budget restrictions, substantially smaller than Babylon 4, and largely funded by the Minbari on the condition they could choose the commanding officer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Timby posted:

I believe the story was that Babylon 5 was constructed with incredibly tight budget restrictions, substantially smaller than Babylon 4, and largely funded by the Minbari on the condition they could choose the commanding officer.

I have to imagine by the point of B4 vanishing you had enough frustrated people plus Earth Firsters still convinced they could've beat the Minbari to just pack it in and ramp the military back up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DrBouvenstein posted:

Or just go nuts and cast this guy as Byron, or the Byron-analogue:

drat right, I've been saying that for years. He's back from wherever he went after the underground railroad episode. And now he has followers.

Don't change a line.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have a vague feeling that was the original plan? And yeah it would have been much better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That was a plot point, was it not? B5 was the match of any younger races war ship after it got it's defense grid updates in GROPOS (I think?), but it took heavy damage in both the fight against the Centauri Cruiser, and the attack by EA ships in Severed Dreams. B4 in contrast was much bigger and better armed, and so was able to serve as a deep space station for the Minbari in the war against the Shadows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chonkylon 4 was right there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Large Adult Son lon 4

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Timby posted:

Chonkylon 4 was right there

But it wasn't good. :shrug:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Stop fat shaming that space station.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
BumbleB4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

TraderStav posted:

There is a hole in your mind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
babylon chode

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know what 2 and 3 are based on, IIRC we only see 1, 4, and 5 on screen but I haven't read all the RPG books or whatever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Weird, my memory of B1 was a giant non-rotating structure that looked kind of like a squashed d8. Wonder what I am thinking of.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JMS says B1-4 were supposed to be the same design, so. :shrug: B1 is briefly shown in In the Beginning and doesn't look like 4.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grand Fromage posted:

JMS says B1-4 were supposed to be the same design, so. :shrug: B1 is briefly shown in In the Beginning and doesn't look like 4.

I thought that B1-3 were the same design because they were all sabotaged before the superstructure was completed. For B4 they changed up the design to remove the Death Star exhaust port that some joker had slipped in and in the process made it bigger.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Something something power rangers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Something something power rangers

They're the colours of the rainbow in order.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I want to see how people transfer between the counter-rotating parts of B1-4. The relative angular velocity has got to require some good timing

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Elevator to central zero g tram, move over to next stop, elevator down. The rotational velocity is zeroed out slowly over the elevator ride.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

CainFortea posted:

Elevator to central zero g tram, move over to next stop, elevator down. The rotational velocity is zeroed out slowly over the elevator ride.

That would only be possible at the two ends though, if at all. One is counter-rotating inside the other

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The solar panels always confused me.

I'm sure that solar panels in the future are much more efficient than today's, but are they REALLY needed when you have a god-drat fusion reactor stuffed in there?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Canonically those are heat radiators, not solar panels.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

There is a B6, but it's painted in ultraviolet so humans can't see it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What kind of emergency power does B5 have in case the fusion reactor has to shut down? I would guess solar panels wouldn't be the worst idea, since those facing the sun are guaranteed to receive sunlight unless a ship is between the station and the sun. Or does the planet Babylon 5 is orbiting sometimes block the sun?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

That would only be possible at the two ends though, if at all. One is counter-rotating inside the other

No, because you can have gaps in the inner hab where elevators from the outer hab pass through it so the inner hab is more like a series of cylinders instead of one contiguous unit.

But even if you didn't want to do that, you could put elevators anywhere you want on the inner hab and have the outer hab elevators be at the end.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I just want to imagine a hole in the floor of the inner tube that you have to jump down at just the right time to land safely in the outer shell

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The solar panels always confused me.

I'm sure that solar panels in the future are much more efficient than today's

Current solar panels are around 20% efficient, you're not going to get orders of magnitude (or even an order of magnitude) more energy out of them.

Torrannor posted:

Or does the planet Babylon 5 is orbiting sometimes block the sun?

Yes (and there's at least one time it's shown going into eclipse, and all the exterior lights on B5 turn on)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's no way you'd power B5 off solar. It is confusing though because they're colored like solar panels, and the arrangement makes no sense for radiators. They'd be radiating heat right at each other and kill efficiency. The B4 version makes more sense, though again those are placed as if they're only radiating for the fusion reactor and not for the living spaces. Though you could have smaller radiator strips on the hull for that, it wouldn't need to be as heavy duty as the reactor.

E: Also the B4 ones are radiating heat at the drum of the station which would warm it up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 10, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe they couldn't afford to get radiators that work on both sides so they just got radiators that work one way.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

Yeah I know. Doesn’t stop me from thinking they are all going to transform into some kind of massive robot and fight giant monsters.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah I know. Doesn’t stop me from thinking they are all going to transform into some kind of massive robot and fight giant monsters.

if only JMS got 9 seasons...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what 2 and 3 are based on, IIRC we only see 1, 4, and 5 on screen but I haven't read all the RPG books or whatever.

Fan designs I believe. The same with that design for B1 I think, you barely see any of it in In The Beginning, and certainly not in a completed state.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hahah what the gently caress this owns

e: I mean technically the official Lego stuff that's based largely off of concept art is great but it sucks that it's all so US focused

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Hahah what the gently caress this owns

e: I mean technically the official Lego stuff that's based largely off of concept art is great but it sucks that it's all so US focused

I rescued it from a local Asian gift shop when it hit the 50% off pile and I wish The Lego Group had the balls to do stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Fan designs I believe. The same with that design for B1 I think, you barely see any of it in In The Beginning, and certainly not in a completed state.

There is a canon illustration of the Babylon station available. It's pretty close to the design for Babylon 3 in that series of images, although it's not easy to pick out all the details because it's a three quarter profile from the front and against a starfield.