Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I only speak franglais

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sorry that should read I h'only speak franglais

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I don't even want to link it because le journal is a rag but its the title of an article which features « NÈGRES BLANCS » as a subheading.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Starks posted:

who's albanian by the sound of his name, which is a twist I was not expecting.

Anyways what the gently caress Quebec

eastern europeans do get marginalized themselves, but they're still thought of as white, so it's unsurprising a chud from that area would think of black people as beneath him

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Starks posted:

I don't even want to link it because le journal is a rag but its the title of an article which features « NÈGRES BLANCS » as a subheading.

This language evokes the history of the FLQ in Quebec, as it's the title of a book written by one of it's founders who did a year in prison for the Laporte murder

quote:

Vallières wrote a number of works during his four-month imprisonment in New York in 1967, the most famous of which was Nègres blancs d'Amérique (1968), translated into English as White Niggers of America. The book compared the historical situation of French-Canadians to that of African-Americans at the height of the latter's civil rights struggles, where Vallières argued the parallels between the two peoples as an exploited lower class, and called for armed struggle of liberation against their common aristocratic oppressors.

Which isn't to excuse it. Just as context, his radical contemporaries used that language in the united states also. Some of the american far left used the awful slogan "we're all niggers now" as a cry to rally the white working class in the 1960s. The Situationists definitely and I believe the Weathermen used it in propaganda too.

Obviously times have changed in the intervening 50+ years and there is zero applicable context to publishing that in a daily newspaper in 2020.

Don't @ me, sometimes this poo poo is just in my head and needs to come out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
@bill. i can't even. the hubris of these mangia cakes...

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Bill posted:

This language evokes the history of the FLQ in Quebec, as it's the title of a book written by one of it's founders who did a year in prison for the Laporte murder

Which isn't to excuse it. Just as context, his radical contemporaries used that language in the united states also. Some of the american far left used the awful slogan "we're all niggers now" as a cry to rally the white working class in the 1960s. The Situationists definitely and I believe the Weathermen used it in propaganda too.

Obviously times have changed in the intervening 50+ years and there is zero applicable context to publishing that in a daily newspaper in 2020.

Don't @ me, sometimes this poo poo is just in my head and needs to come out.

Yeah I hear you and i am familiar with both Vallieres and Lalonde, but publishing that op-ed now, in Canada's third largest newspaper, while Black Quebeckers are taking to the streets to protest police violence from majority French Canadian police seems like horrible timing at best. I don't think it's going to slow down the "national sport of Quebec bashing" very much but maybe that's the point if you're trying to stoke nationalist sentiment.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Quebec nationalism is white nationalism

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it looks like the same op-ed martineau republishes over and over again whenever he's out of ideas

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Starks posted:

who's albanian by the sound of his name, which is a twist I was not expecting.

Anyways what the gently caress Quebec

I don't know what the context is behind the current trend, but the original context of "speak white" stems from Quebec francophones being discriminated against by Anglo corporate overlords. For a long time, the big Canadian companies (like Eaton, the Hudson Bay company, etc.) would open up shop in Quebec and have firmly anglophone management and hierarchy, with the francophones generally being kept in lower positions. "Speak white" was basically a slur thrown around by some anglos to their inferior francophone counterparts. It's tied to the formation of the PQ and the rise of Quebec nationalism. So originally, it was about pushing back against discrimination, however dubiously with metaphors like being the "white negroes of america".

I looked it up, and apparently this new usage comes from a text by notable turd Richard Martineau, which basically defends his right to be a racist. So, nothing worthy of mention.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

:quebec:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

:tif:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Starks posted:

Yeah I hear you and i am familiar with both Vallieres and Lalonde, but publishing that op-ed now, in Canada's third largest newspaper, while Black Quebeckers are taking to the streets to protest police violence from majority French Canadian police seems like horrible timing at best. I don't think it's going to slow down the "national sport of Quebec bashing" very much but maybe that's the point if you're trying to stoke nationalist sentiment.

For sure man, I just wanted to share why those words in particular had resonance in Quebec. If you're not from there, I'm not sure you would know about Vallieres

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

half of all Canadian Twitter trends are driven by angry libs demanding the void tell them why the phrase is trending

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1270427158742171648
:chanpop:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/status/1270473601402060805

I'll raise you

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

love me a good IPA

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:slime:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jun 20, 2021

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Why is the Liberal party the official Illuminati logo
gordon campbell & christy clark used to attend bilderberg meetings all the time.. coincidence???

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tabarnak de calisse.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ceci n'est pas du racisme

I'm Magrittin' my teeth over here!

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Jun 10, 2020

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The failure of bilingual education protects the majority of you from ever having to read and understand Martineau, and for that I’m jealous of you fuckers.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

mods please change my name to Le Bon Racisme

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Nine of Eight posted:

The failure of bilingual education protects the majority of you from ever having to read and understand Martineau, and for that I’m jealous of you fuckers.

Not me, I get all my news from Allo Police!

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Nine of Eight posted:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lolaberta

https://twitter.com/canadianpolling/status/1270435420468391949?s=21

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Jokes on you, eight years of classes has left me with a masterful level of reading comprehension rivalling only that of an extremely young child, meaning I can apparently read enough to realize he's extremely white and that the quebecois also like having complete fuckwits having media presence. Sorry mate. Christ.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish Quebecois didn't consider ourselves white.

The concept of whiteness is so loving toxic.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm the person commenting that "GDP doesn't represent quality of life." Where the gently caress do you live that your quality of life improved this year?!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm the person commenting that "GDP doesn't represent quality of life." Where the gently caress do you live that your quality of life improved this year?!

honestly my quality of life has improved a shitton this year, in that being at home constantly and on CERB is the closest I'll ever be to retirement and this is pretty dope tbh

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

honestly my quality of life has improved a shitton this year, in that being at home constantly and on CERB is the closest I'll ever be to retirement and this is pretty dope tbh

Ah, well I'm working in a grocery store for roughly 1000 - 1200 a month...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Man, this blows, y'all got a vacation and I got screwed.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

which is bullshit of the highest order. like how the gently caress is my life better than yours, since I got fired (excuse me, furloughed)

I don't get how you can look at that and be like, yep, good system, well implemented, I'm happy. pure gently caress You Got Mine energy to love that

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

don't mean to twist the knife or anything - your post is honest. I'm getting a vacation, you're getting hosed, and most people irl are praising the government response without even bothering to look beyond their own front door

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
ehhh. Funny or not? who can say

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 10:45 on Jun 10, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

Tell your boss to give you less hours. If you make less than $1000 you can collect CERB. You are getting screwed royally.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I live in SK and am on disability. The program gave me a one-time extra $50 due to covid lol

People with disabilities are always loving ignored or given scraps.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Virtual Russian posted:

i'm sorry, you have too much job to qualify for government money.

thank you brave frontline worker for your continued sacrifice on our behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

Buddy you got called a "hero" that's worth so much more than money...