Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

no, its a perfectly viable approach. its using the fact that a game is inherently an audience participating medium to help further its points. making a game that is purposefully player hostile either through mechanics or story or both is a useful and important tool. in spec ops the character you are controlling is going to take that action because that is their character and motivation in that moment, you are not the character. you are the audience. your choice is if you want to follow this characters story now that he is making an awful choice, and because its a game and not a film the fact that you while seperate are an active participant adds further weight to it.

Wanting to see how a story ends isn't the endorsement the writers are trying to say it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

fun and engaging arent the same. a broken piece of poo poo like vtmrb was totally unplayable on release but the story, characters and setting were good enough that the game baceme a cult classic.

This is very true. I guess what I'm saying is that media can be engaging without needing to be fun or aiming to create positive emotions. There are a whole lot of ways media can get its hooks into the audience and be something they want to engage with for the work's duration.

On the "broken game that people still found very engaging" front, I'll also add Fallout: New Vegas, especially the console versions that you can't mod the brokenness out of but plenty of people still sunk countless hours into.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I should also point out that my statements about what the game is trying to do (and games in general not needing to be fun) are in no way a defense of the way Naughty Dog went about making the game. Obviously, forcing your employees to watch horrific things and recreate them is an extremely lovely thing to do and Druckmann and the rest of the Naughty Dog leadership should be condemned for that and not be so loving proud of it. But that's a separate conversation from "is the game automatically bad because of its themes."

i think the development of the game sounds bad, the story from the leaks sounds bad, and the way they've described their gameplay innovations sounds bad. it all sounds bad. i don't care about depictions of violence in games as much as i care about their presentation. Mortal Kombat's pretty gnarly but it's not presenting the gruesome x-ray moves as being the video game equivalent of Citizen Kane's camera work

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dogstile posted:

Wanting to see how a story ends isn't the endorsement the writers are trying to say it is.

i mean, it really is. if theyve written a story so engaging you are going through the awful stuff in it to see how it ends thats basically as successful as a story can be.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i think the development of the game sounds bad, the story from the leaks sounds bad, and the way they've described their gameplay innovations sounds bad. it all sounds bad. i don't care about depictions of violence in games as much as i care about their presentation. Mortal Kombat's pretty gnarly but it's not presenting the gruesome x-ray moves as being the video game equivalent of Citizen Kane's camera work

MK is worse to me, because its extremely detailed violence completely divorced from anything and it grosses me out. but that also doesnt mean i think mortal kombat shouldnt exist im just not going to play it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

i mean, it really is. if theyve written a story so engaging you are going through the awful stuff in it to see how it ends thats basically as successful as a story can be.

You're telling me that someone going through a game going "no, surely this gets better" and then posting about it (checking date here) 8 years later because no, it was in fact dumb, contrived bullshit is successful?

Ok dude, you do you, we clearly measure success differently.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if it wasnt engaging you at all you wouldnt finish the game or still be discussing it 8 years later

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, like I've said, nobody has to like what they're making or want to engage with it. I sure don't want to play it any time soon. I'm mostly just talking in terms of this type of game being a valid thing to try to make. I can't at all speak to how successful it is--lots of things have sounded lovely in leaks and ended up pretty good, and also lots of things with potential to be good have been lovely--I'm just saying that I don't think what it's trying to do is necessarily invalid or automatically bad.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't at all say whether The Last of Us Part II, a specific video game, will be any good, but that I think it isn't automatically bad because of the way it appears to depict violence while also condemning it.

Also this reminded me of an essay I wrote years ago about how "the Citizen Kane of video games" doesn't actually make sense as a statement because it's often used with a gross misunderstanding of what makes Citizen Kane actually important (the camera work being among it).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Like i said, i paid money for it, i wanted to see if it was good. It was not in fact, good.

Being bad enough to be the first thing to come to mind when talking about "stupid writing decisions in videogames" is not an achievement to be proud of. Imagine making this argument about the super mario brothers movie, a film that I still make fun of because it was so bad. "No dude, its a good thing you're still telling people its awful".

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

Like i said, i paid money for it, i wanted to see if it was good. It was not in fact, good.

Being bad enough to be the first thing to come to mind when talking about "stupid writing decisions in videogames" is not an achievement to be proud of. Imagine making this argument about the super mario brothers movie, a film that I still make fun of because it was so bad. "No dude, its a good thing you're still telling people its awful".

it's "but you live in a society" but for when you tell people video games they like are bad

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so many repetitive words being spilled to defend the artistic integrity of a 'maybe WE'RE the walking dead' level of story

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
If you need a video game to tell you that violence is bad I think you hosed up somewhere

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If we're gonna decry a story for covering a theme that's been done before then I'm afraid we're just going to have to give up on stories altogether

Mostly I just think a lot of people are extrapolating from "I don't think TLoU2 will be good" to get to some grand pronouncements about what a video game is and what games should ever try to do or be as a blanket statement and that rubs me the wrong way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dogstile posted:

it was good however, perhaps you just didnt understand it

Brother Entropy posted:

so many repetitive words being spilled to defend the artistic integrity of a 'maybe WE'RE the walking dead' level of story

thats all zombie stories thats why you make a zombie game/film/whatever, and its clearly a defense of the ability of something to make a point through depictions of violence and not a defense of a game that isnt out and no one has played

fridge corn posted:

If you need a video game to tell you that violence is bad I think you hosed up somewhere

again this is putting bizarre limitations on what subjects are allowed to be explored. it is not a fundamental flaw for a piece of media to make a point about violence.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

Mostly I just think a lot of people are extrapolating from "I don't think TLoU2 will be good" to get to some grand pronouncements about what a video game is and what games should ever try to do or be as a blanket statement and that rubs me the wrong way.

i agree, stux should stop trying to make every conversation about people not liking tlou2 into being about that

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if you don't get what it is about the marketing and leaks of this game that put people off of its whole stupid angle about violence, the issue is with you, not them

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

it was good however, perhaps you just didnt understand it

Every loving time. "Oh, you're just too dumb to get it". :jerkbag:

No, I got it, I think its stupid.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

again this is putting bizarre limitations on what subjects are allowed to be explored. it is not a fundamental flaw for a piece of media to make a point about violence.

What exactly is the point that the game is trying to make about violence? That it's bad? Oh poo poo I didnt know that thank god Neil "genious" Drickmann was able to sort me out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To rephrase what I posted, what I mean is that I'm not here to defend the honor of The Last of Us Part II, a specific video game that is being marketed a certain way or was developed in a lovely way. I've just read a lot of takes that extrapolate from "boy what we're seeing from TLoU2 sounds bad" to make much more blanket statements about games and I want to argue against that.

Like I don't think that a game depicting realistic, ugly violence while also putting the player in a position where causing that violence is unavoidable is necessarily doing something wrong--that tension might well be the point, or even if it isn't, it can still be worth exploring. There are ways to explore themes and ideas that don't require every aspect of a game to be in perfect harmony, and conflict between a game's ideas can be productive as much as it can be destructive to its narrative and themes. It's all down to execution and individual experiences of a work.

I acknowledge that a lot of the leaks sound bad and that TLoU2 does not sound like a game I personally want to play. It's just that, independent of the execution, what it appears to be trying to do is not automatically invalid or in some way Objectively Wrong.

But I'm also coming from a point of view where I don't think there should've been a sequel to The Last of Us in the first place so :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

explore the darkness of the human condition with our Jak & Daxter Weapon Pack DLC

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

To rephrase what I posted, what I mean is that I'm not here to defend the honor of The Last of Us Part II, a specific video game that is being marketed a certain way or was developed in a lovely way. I've just read a lot of takes that extrapolate from "boy what we're seeing from TLoU2 sounds bad" to make much more blanket statements about games and I want to argue against that.

Like I don't think that a game depicting realistic, ugly violence while also putting the player in a position where causing that violence is unavoidable is necessarily doing something wrong--that tension might well be the point, or even if it isn't, it can still be worth exploring. There are ways to explore themes and ideas that don't require every aspect of a game to be in perfect harmony, and conflict between a game's ideas can be productive as much as it can be destructive to its narrative and themes. It's all down to execution and individual experiences of a work.

I acknowledge that a lot of the leaks sound bad and that TLoU2 does not sound like a game I personally want to play. It's just that, independent of the execution, what it appears to be trying to do is not automatically invalid or in some way Objectively Wrong.

But I'm also coming from a point of view where I don't think there should've been a sequel to The Last of Us in the first place so :shrug:

no one here is taking their thoughts about tlou2 (that it's bad) and extrapolating it to some kind of catch-all about all video games, they're talking about this particular bad video game. i could be wrong but i don't think anyone here has the power to affect the game developers' decisions so i think they're all safe to continue to explore whatever themes they like no matter we think

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

no one here is taking their thoughts about tlou2 (that it's bad) and extrapolating it to some kind of catch-all about all video games

I'm not so sure about that, but maybe I'm just remembering earlier posts in this thread and those people aren't still posting in the thread, I dunno.

i could be wrong but i don't think anyone here has the power to affect the game developers' decisions so i think they're all safe to continue to explore whatever themes they like no matter we think

I mean, there are reasons to discuss and argue about games beyond "someone in the argument has the power to actually affect what games are made." Like I've posted a lot of long, detailed critiques of games but that doesn't mean I think anyone reading them has the power to change things based on what they read (or that they would agree with me anyway). I'm just discussing stuff.

I just like to talk about games and media analysis and poo poo, I don't mean to come off like I think games are in danger as an art form or some dumb poo poo like that. Sorry if I came off that way, that wasn't my intention.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

What exactly is the point that the game is trying to make about violence? That it's bad? Oh poo poo I didnt know that thank god Neil "genious" Drickmann was able to sort me out

is it specifically tlou2 you feel isnt capable of making the point or do you genuinely think no game should attempt to make a point about how violence is bad

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Just watch Blue Ruin instead. It's shorter than this game and will most assuredly be a better told story about misguided revenge.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you arent misremembering and everytime it gets pulled up as soon as the position is shown to be completely stupid and arbitrarily limiting someone who wasnt originally making the point will jump in to say the people saying that werent saying that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

is it specifically tlou2 you feel isnt capable of making the point or do you genuinely think no game should attempt to make a point about how violence is bad

see harrow, it's all stux constantly trying to shift the conversation away from tlou2 whenever someone criticizes it

it's like clockwork

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

see harrow, it's all stux constantly trying to shift the conversation away from tlou2 whenever someone criticizes it

it's like clockwork

fridge corn posted:

seriously try not to make it so obvious, its on the same page. this statement is clearly extremely broad and not specifically aimed at tlou 2 at all. i am literally asking for clarification.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I mean, they're free to do all the "violence is bad" messages they want, just don't expect me to not roll my eyes when they gush about the rad execution animations and realistic blood pooling physics in interviews

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Harrow posted:

Clearly, we didn't ask for this.

Gabby_Jay posted:

Just watch Blue Ruin instead. It's shorter than this game and will most assuredly be a better told story about misguided revenge.

Ok but can I turn off my TV if I don't want the protagonist to commit heinous crimes?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

I mean, they're free to do all the "violence is bad" messages they want, just don't expect me to not roll my eyes when they gush about the rad execution animations and realistic blood pooling physics in interviews

no one will reply to this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

Both

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

This is fair, as is rolling your eyes at the same things in the multiplayer, especially if they start selling special execution animations and poo poo like that.

I'm not at all here to defend the marketing.

And poo poo, if the game is bad, I'll be here to make fun of it as much as anyone else.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

i mean marketing is always trash, da proof is in da puddin. if the games bad then the games bad, but making a point about violence with violence is not fundamentally wrong.

incorrect

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

incorrect

Violence is obviously bad. It's not a point that needs to be made.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Stux posted:

if it wasnt engaging you at all you wouldnt finish the game or still be discussing it 8 years later

if so long term discussion is somehow a mark of success then ed wood js one of the most sucessful directors ever, because people still talk (mock) his movies seventy years later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

... Have you paid attention to *waves hands at the world.*

There are a lot of people who think violence is the solution to issues and is in fact Good and Cool. America right now as a country is in a genuine discussion over if the police are a Right and Necessary Thing or a group who only enforces violence and cruelty.

It is absolutely something to be emphasized. LTOU2 is probably not the game to do that but treating violence as something that has consequences instead of the fun thing you do is perfectly valid and necessary.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

fridge corn posted:

It is a point that needs to be made, but in media for small children. This videogame ostensibly for adults should be able to do something more nuanced, interesting and complex.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

then what points need to be made, what are the valid subjects?

SpookyLizard posted:

if so long term discussion is somehow a mark of success then ed wood js one of the most sucessful directors ever, because people still talk (mock) his movies seventy years later.

if you dont think ed wood would be delighted by how long lasting an impact hes had including having an actual movie made about him then lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Ed Wood did in fact have a very significant impact on movies. There is a reason it is his films that are talked about and not the 900 other forgettable films released other years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey Stux, outta curiosity, how much do you get paid for this gig, and how can I also get it? Because I'll say fuckin' anything if I get paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

love to get paid to say tlou2 could very easily be garbage