Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

The power button no longer exists since updating and I can't find a toggle anywhere to get it back :shrug:

report this issue to microsoft, op. that's what these testing periods are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

The power button no longer exists since updating and I can't find a toggle anywhere to get it back :shrug:

*shaggar's voice* you're holding it wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you don't need to shut down windows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
since people have started WFH i've had to specifically prevent them from shutting windows down.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol yeah like i'm going to leave my work laptop w/ webcam running 24/7 at home. just lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
people remoting into their work desktops via RD gateway seem to develop a sudden urge to shut them down instead of just closing their terminal session, despite never, ever, having previously done so for any reason before

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oh, right, lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i cannot reasonably ask "in five loving years you've never once pressed that button before, why the gently caress do you suddenly think it's a good idea now?", so instead i have to set a gpo that just doesn't allow them to turn off the computer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i can use choco to install minikube and the docker cli, and minikube integrates with hyper-v

this is an appropriate, arms-length amount of linux on my windows pc i think

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

people remoting into their work desktops via RD gateway seem to develop a sudden urge to shut them down instead of just closing their terminal session, despite never, ever, having previously done so for any reason before

that's pretty easy to fix with gpos.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no kidding?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah theres a setting specifically to disable the shutdown and restart options specifically to prevent people from loving that up.

all it does is hide the options, tho. if they have permission to shut down the machine they can do it thru a command line or something, but if you just want to protect against someone habitually hitting shutdown on the start menu it would work.

computer -> admin templates -> start menu and taskbar -> remove and prevent access to shut down, restart, blah blah blah.

if you want to remove their shutdown permissions entirely, theres security -> local policy -> user rights assignment -> shut down the system.

somehow the gpo or the registry key it sets got triggered on the op after he updated which is why his poo poo is gone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm there, i am aware of the gpo, hence the post two above yours where i say i implemented a gpo to keep them from shutting down the pc

i removed the rights altogether just in case they managed to find some incredibly obtuse way of doing it entirely accidentally

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol how did I miss that?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

lol how did I miss that?

idk i guess the cyclists see you coming now

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I mostly use the power button to hibernate because windows has trained me for years that it will sometimes just inexplicably fail to sleep/hibernate on its own

I once had to work over RDP on a machine that didn't have the group policy to disable the start button set but did have a login banner yelling at me not to shut down the server

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
"We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

what the hell is this android poo poo

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

infernal machines posted:

you broke your start menu op

i've still got mine. also my gpo that disables web searches/cortana still works.

I'm dreading the day that this gpo stops working. cortana is unbelievably horrible

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use LTSC

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Amethyst posted:

"We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

what the hell is this android poo poo

it means that soon your machine will reboot while you're off taking a leak because ms created yet another go the settings to reboot to install candy crush saga while wiping your working setup

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

the entire team responsible for that will answer for it at nurnberg II

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Ah, a visual depiction of the fit and finish of open source user interfaces.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

literally open sores

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Beldantazar posted:

Ah, a visual depiction of the fit and finish of open source user interfaces.

yeah there’s no way a brand-name laptop would ever ship with an input device that regularly breaks during normal operation

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Soricidus posted:

yeah there’s no way a brand-name laptop would ever ship with an input device that regularly breaks during normal operation

hey, at least the apple keyboards were able to not fall apart from just unpacking the laptop. Apple was able to make them work for several whole months.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

the physical manifestation of linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Zlodo posted:

nah that’d be if you had to manually reconnect the speakers after receiving it

it does have speakers, right?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

eschaton posted:

nah that’d be if you had to manually reconnect the speakers after receiving it

it does have speakers, right?

why bother, not like they will ever be used

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zlodo posted:

2020 year of budget laptops in the datacenter?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

next windows build looking good.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
isn't that a mason jar

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
pretty representative of every .jar container i've ever seen

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

pretty representative of every .jar container i've ever seen

weast
Nov 7, 2012

if i, for some reason, wanted to try using linux what distro should i bother with? it seems like ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives are dogshit and that's usually what you see when you just search "what linux distro should i use"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
if you mean for desktop use then fedora workstation

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

if you mean for desktop use then fedora workstation

The correct answer.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah use fedora, maybe with kde though? i don't know, for me theres been some strange issues with gnome lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weast posted:

if i, for some reason, wanted to try using linux what distro should i bother with? it seems like ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives are dogshit and that's usually what you see when you just search "what linux distro should i use"

any of the wsl2 packages should do just fine, you can get them from the microsoft app store or here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual