Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
crossposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

No one wants any of the things in those pictures aside from the blue sky.

I actually prefer crappy weather

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mildew00/status/1268654797785268230?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/athenogenes/status/1268986572592087040?s=21

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Remember what his solution was?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ha, I hadn’t seen his actual explanation:

https://twitter.com/williemcnabb/status/1158068337269776393?s=21

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMoLKLM8SMg

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

I laughed then I was sad.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

I laughed then I was sad.

He’s right about the weebs. (I still don’t know exactly what the word means but we used it for the Anime dorks and Furries) lot of that in intel.

I’m just gonna go on record as saying some of the most hosed up jobs in the USAF revolve around those goddamned drones. Kill TV is a legit thing, and if you are the least bit squeamish about killing, the job will gently caress you up. Because we kill a ton of motherfuckers with drones. And not all (or even most) of them are high ranking terrorists that are clearly in need of a hellfire. poo poo, if the wrong dudes showed up to those funerals he mentions, and there’s enough bad guy nexus going on, we’re gonna loving kill them at the funeral. Or a wedding. Or pretty much anywhere. We definitely try to avoid hitting mosques and hospitals and poo poo. But as we all know, it’s working with imperfect people, using imperfect intelligence, in very stressful and time crunched environments. So yeah, collateral damage is definitely a thing.

Personally conflicted about my time doing that. It got me into a community that did very cool things, but on the whole balance of things, I’d sacrifice my time in the cool selectively manned units if it meant I wouldn’t have done the predator mission. And that’s saying something since a lot of my pride in my service revolves around those selective units and my time in them.

It’s like a video game that shreds your humanity and leaves you with moral quandaries that are very hard to get through. And since it’s all Classified and Compartmented, you can’t even get into details even if you do go seek help from mental health even if the counselor has a clearance (officers generally all at least have a secret clearance). And details are important to the mental healing process.

I feel like we need to get cleared, read in, competent mental health folks who can help with that poo poo. The way they handled poo poo up until 2013 was.. bullshit. I seriously doubt it’s very different in 2020- but I have to admit I’m out of date on recent developments. Maybe they’ve done something since then. I hope they have.

You can (could, when I got out at least) make about $100-$120k a year deployed to Afghanistan doing predator Mission Controlling as a contractor.

That is not enough money, unless you are some kind of sociopath. And the $36k-$50k a year you get as an enlisted person doing that poo poo deployed for a year sure the gently caress isn’t enough.

When he says he doesn’t know why they had contractors doing it instead of just enlisted men- it’s easy- it breaks Airmen. At an incredibly high rate, at that. Broken Airmen cost way more than $120k contractors. And we never created a dedicated career field for it, so it’s been a mix of intel ops and imagery analysts doing the job, and it’s kind of the USAF’s luck of the draw on whether that intel body can do the job. Literally no training prepares you for the job ahead of time, it’s all OJT and baptism with fire. With a contractor you can hire and fire. With an Airman your stuck with whoever AFPC filled the slot with, and how well that kid can do the job. It’s not an easy job, either. Though it’s a relatively safe one as long as you aren’t embedded with an assault force. Contractors don’t do the embedding, or at least didn’t when I was working that mission. That almost certainly has changed though, because they wanted to change that as far back as 2006 because special operations types aren’t all that hot for random Joe Schmo Intel Airman to go outside the wire with them lugging his toughbook and Radio / ROVER gear next to the commander.

In short, the predator world is a land of contrasts, and hellfires. So many goddamn hellfires.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 6, 2020

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s like a video game that shreds your humanity and leaves you with moral quandaries that are very hard to get through. And since it’s all Classified and Compartmented, you can’t even get into details even if you do go seek help from mental health even if the counselor has a clearance (officers generally all at least have a secret clearance). And details are important to the mental healing process.

I feel like we need to get cleared, read in, competent mental health folks who can help with that poo poo. The way they handled poo poo up until 2013 was.. bullshit. I seriously doubt it’s very different in 2020- but I have to admit I’m out of date on recent developments. Maybe they’ve done something since then. I hope they have.

This was a very good, heart-felt post, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm picking and choosing by just focusing on this part:

They have, in certain areas, made the tiniest stride toward rectifying this. Where I work there's a licensed therapist and a mental health contractor who are available for therapy sessions with Top Secret and Compartmented. It's far from what we need force-wide, or even just where I work (which is a hub for intel dweebs like myself), but people have recognized the problem and are pushing a way to solve it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s been one of the major changes for drone operators as well. Read in counselors who can also call bullshit if the operator doesn’t acknowledge something like a civcas event might be weighing on them.

https://twitter.com/julian_epp/status/1269024594603790337?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 6, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Honestly I accept my fate of a rope around my neck.

Because I'm pretty sure Wehrmacht and SS got PTSD too and some maybe even felt bad about it, but they were hung nonetheless.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1269048818739212288

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1269399913210642432?s=21

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

at hospital lost handat

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Oh my god that's the best possible caption.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Wasabi the J posted:

Honestly I accept my fate of a rope around my neck.

Because I'm pretty sure Wehrmacht and SS got PTSD too and some maybe even felt bad about it, but they were hung nonetheless.

IIRC one of the main drivers for the gas chambers was because too many SS men were breaking from having to murder civilians face to face with guns.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Generation Internet posted:

IIRC one of the main drivers for the gas chambers was because too many SS men were breaking from having to murder civilians face to face with guns.

Yes, and the camps were designed to rely on slave labor as much as possible because of this, including work like cleaning out the bodies from the chambers and burning/burying. Even most of the hardened nazis couldn't handle this work without breaking down so they just used slave camp labor.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The croatian fascists relied on throat-cutting and poo poo like that at Jasenovac and apparently the guards were absolutely coming apart. A bunch were executed by their own guys. If there was a worse place on earth I hope I never learn about it. Don't take this as a challenge to post one pls.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes, and the camps were designed to rely on slave labor as much as possible because of this, including work like cleaning out the bodies from the chambers and burning/burying. Even most of the hardened nazis couldn't handle this work without breaking down so they just used slave camp labor.

Don't worry, next time I'm sure automation and robotics will be advanced enough that this won't be an issue.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/CrisLeeMaza/status/1270072484470153223

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

You want to translate or am I supposed to assume Cyrillic = Evil and menacing like the comments think??

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Wasabi the J posted:

You want to translate or am I supposed to assume Cyrillic = Evil and menacing like the comments think??

"Kosovo is Serbia" and (I think) "Serbia remembers Clinton's cock"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Softface posted:

"Kosovo is Serbia" and (I think) "Serbia remembers Clinton's cock"

The quiet part being "Kosovo is Serbia, and it would still be true if Clinton hadn't helped stop us from ethnically cleansing Kosovo."

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

joat mon posted:

The quiet part being "Kosovo is Serbia, and it would still be true if Clinton hadn't helped stop us from ethnically cleansing Kosovo."

This, 100%.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

joat mon posted:

Ah thank you. Russian / American media influence makes it difficult to find out propaganda vs fact.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Ah poo poo sorry, I brainfarted and just unthinkingly assumed that everyone knew the slogan. As everyone said it's like "Poland must become German again", with a p genocidal undertone, and seemed funny juxtaposed with end racism.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

The owner and one of his relatives who also works there wrote a Facebook post about how they are legally required to report suspected counterfeit bills to the police, but when the cops came they were way overreacting and not listening to anyone who worked there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/peter_miller/status/1270491482009374721?s=21

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/waitmanb/status/1270676531770253312?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

James should have an AFB, but otherwise that list owns.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

It really is mind blowing that we don't have a Ft. Grant

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We did, but it's now a prison.

Remember, we've had literally thousands of military bases that have closed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah that's true.

I guess I should have qualified that with "we don't currently have a Ft. Grant"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
We used to have a Ft. Sherman, Panama too, I lived there for 3 years as a kid.

Army officers seem to be almost universally Union Army fanboys, don't think I've ever met one with outspoken confederate sympathies, even ones from the South like myself.

Don't think I've ever heard an NCO or enlisted Soldier discus anything related to the Civil War. Comes up a lot in junior officer professional development though, especially for the cavalry scouts. Every cavalry officer in the Army knows about John Buford and his role during Gettysburg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was in a unit that gave NCOs Union Cavalry sabers and a stand as their going away gift. Had exactly one NCO ask for the confederate equivalent. Of course the answer was “hell no.”