Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JackMann posted:

Poll up!

You can select multiple options. I plan on getting up to $100 worth of stuff. If the top option is $50, and the next two are $20, then I'll be getting the top three options. If the top option is $95, then I'll just be getting that. Have at it!

The Warcry gangs are just so, so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Cool. I've already got Skeleton Horde contrast, so I think I might pick those up when I get the chance. Thanks for the feedback.

-

Another question (one I think I've asked before): what's a good brand of superglue to get for minis? I ask because previously I got Gorilla Glue, but I remember one of the Goonhammer guides saying that the issue with Gorilla Glue was that it expanded when it dried.

I've been using Loctite professional for my superglue needs, but you might prefer a gel to a liquid.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JackMann posted:

So, two things.

First off, my deployment got cancelled. There's a small possibility I'll get sent out again at the end of the month, but for now I'm staying home.

That said, I hyped this up enough that I'm going to stick to it. It's looking like Thousand Sons Start Collecting was the winner, so I'll be picking that up in the near future.

Glad to see my humble suggestion got a lot of traction. Amazon has been listing it (and a lot of the start collecting boxes) for like $80 instead of the normal $95 so I'd grab it before those prices go back up.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Finally improving on faces. Turns out staring at painting tutorials for hours can get results.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Max Wilco posted:

Another question (one I think I've asked before): what's a good brand of superglue to get for minis? I ask because previously I got Gorilla Glue, but I remember one of the Goonhammer guides saying that the issue with Gorilla Glue was that it expanded when it dried.

I love the Gorilla Super Glue gel, specifically. Cheap, easy to find, bonds perfectly well, minimal mess.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I now feel comfortable with zenithal priming, combined with a black wash and dry brushed white, and I'm ready to do all my boyz this way. That being said, I've heard if I want to use contrast paints over this the best thing I can do is apply a satin varnish coat. I have a bottle of liquitex satin, and Vallejo airbrush thinner on the way. Is that all I need for squirting through the airbrush?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I now feel comfortable with zenithal priming, combined with a black wash and dry brushed white, and I'm ready to do all my boyz this way. That being said, I've heard if I want to use contrast paints over this the best thing I can do is apply a satin varnish coat. I have a bottle of liquitex satin, and Vallejo airbrush thinner on the way. Is that all I need for squirting through the airbrush?

This is amazing and makes me wish someone would do a "Grey Plastic" army all in greyscale.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Iron Crowned posted:

So I finally dusted off the bag of Hero Quest minis I bought at a thrift store in the 90's and stripped the previous owner's half-assed paint job. Biggest hurdle now is how to go about basing the things, which I'm currently at a loss for.

Base them by painting their bases to look like tiles from Hero Quest!

Schadenboner posted:

This is amazing and makes me wish someone would do a "Grey Plastic" army all in greyscale.

:hmmyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I want to say I saw it done with the terrain for a Nosferatu game once?

:shrug:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Sorry I'm too distracted by your prescription bottle filled with googly eyes painting handle.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Furism posted:

Can I ask what tones you used for the skin? I'm trying to gather techniques on how to paint non-Caucasian skin-tones and I really like that one. Fitting with the Samoa time-zone ;)

It’s a very simple recipe. I used an airbrush for the first two steps but this can easily work with a brush.

1) Basecoat Rhinox Hide
2) Layer Doombull Brown
2) Edge highlight with Tuskgor Fur

I also painted a heckin good boi :

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 9, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Cool. I've already got Skeleton Horde contrast, so I think I might pick those up when I get the chance. Thanks for the feedback.

-

I use loctite professional liquid, works great.

Also superglue protip: instead of applying the glue directly to the mini from the bottle, use a piece of paper as a palette and a toothpick or something as a "brush". Maybe this method is super obvious to everyone else, but I was assembling minis for about a year before I thought of it, and it makes things a whole lot easier.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Schadenboner posted:

I want to say I saw it done with the terrain for a Nosferatu game once?

:shrug:

Oh that would be sweet to see! I'd love to see a Black Templars army painted in the art style of the fan made movie. Terrain and all.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Only took me the better part of 18 months, but I actually finished painting my knight tonight:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

inscrutable horse posted:

Only took me the better part of 18 months, but I actually finished painting my knight tonight:

This is so gooood

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Help, I didn't take care of my brush and now my #2(?) brush with the coarse bristles is all fraying and hard to use! Can I fix it somehow and also how can I prevent this from happening again? I washed and dried it pretty solidly i thought, and kept it stored brush side up in a mug on my work table. My #0(?) brush is fine.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If the brush is starting to splay you have paint up in the ferrule, and that's very hard to fix. If it's a synthetic then you can try paint thinner, otherwise for real hair brushes you can try a brush cleaner and letting it soak but it's not reliable and will likely never go back to normal.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stan Taylor posted:

Help, I didn't take care of my brush and now my #2(?) brush with the coarse bristles is all fraying and hard to use! Can I fix it somehow and also how can I prevent this from happening again? I washed and dried it pretty solidly i thought, and kept it stored brush side up in a mug on my work table. My #0(?) brush is fine.

Use a brush soap/conditioner at the end of your painting sessions, and you'll be able to keep using them for years, and years.

https://creaturecaster.com/us/product/monument-brush-soap-1oz/

https://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-105-BP-Masters-Preserver/dp/B0027AEANE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=brush+soap&qid=1591743001&sr=8-1

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, excellent point, there's several things that go into good brush care, and done properly you can use for them for a long long time.

Conveniently Vince recently released a video on the topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyTJIvTMAIY

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Or, buy cheap brushes, use 'em like you stole 'em, and bin them when they get too messed up to even be drybrushes any more.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love cheap brushes because I'll actually toss them when I should rather than using a frayed $15 brush well past its lifespan.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I'm 100% honest I still end up using the 5 for Ł3 brushes well past their lifespan, I tend to have a workhorse brush that I do most stuff with and dont really notice when its starting to wear out until its absolutely beyond a joke, but thats a me problem. It does however mean I have zero anxiety about loving up a brush because who cares, they were cheap as hell and I bought a bunch of them.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

inscrutable horse posted:

Well that was 18 months very well spent. It’s gorgeous.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did a quick Overlord to test some colours, pretty happy with them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SiKboy posted:

Or, buy cheap brushes, use 'em like you stole 'em, and bin them when they get too messed up to even be drybrushes any more.

This is pretty much my method because I’m pretty darn lazy. A set of three Tamiya brushes runs about $10-12 online and they tend to last a decent while. I think I buy another bag about once a year and my maintenance for brushes is swishing them in water after use.

The ones from years back that are too bad to dry brush anymore become applicators for terrain sculpt and glues.

R0ckfish posted:

Your Necrons own. Great scheme with a nice simple execution.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Your Necrons own. Great scheme with a nice simple execution.

Thank you! I am going for a basic level of detail as I am assuming that I am gonna have a poo poo ton with the up coming releases and I will have them paired with my higher effort salamanders anyway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

R0ckfish posted:

God drat the job you did on the blade and orb with that purple is great.

How do you have so much time to paint so much so well?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Werix posted:

God drat the job you did on the blade and orb with that purple is great.

How do you have so much time to paint so much so well?

I just don't spend that long on each model, they were like 2 hours tops? Which is mostly just practice I guess, plus the pandemic has mostly gotten rid of all my social life. :v:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

If I were to buy a cheap Lightbox for taking better phone photos of my minis, is that a reasonable thing to do?

I assume my google pixel and a $25 folding kit on amazon pretty much has me covered right?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I can't comment on the light box, but your phone should be a perfect way to take pictures. I've tried it with a fancy DSLR and ended up being more trouble than it's worth.

Get yourself an app to do photo color correction and things. Snapseed is good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone worked with Wargames Atlantic's Space French?

They look (ironically enough, I suppose?) like they'd make p.ace Vostroyans but I have no idea if they're good?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Schadenboner posted:

They look (ironically enough, I suppose?) like they'd make p.ace Vostroyans but I have no idea if they're good?

Pete the Wargamer did a video on how to convert/kitbash them with GW parts to make Vostroyans.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTIYF7w07Q&t=46s

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I got an airbrush. Airbrushes are fun.

Went along with Dana Howl's excellent vaporwave nighthaunts tutorial to learn the ropes of the airbrush.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

The sculpts are quite chunky and lacking in detail in some places but they’re overall pretty great. The rifles look fantastic but the other weapons look weirdly knock off? The plastic on the sprue I got was cheap and shiny as well, but that might be an early run problem.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Really like this but I think Im gonna go get a lightbox

messed with the typhus corrosion too and Im a huge fan

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I finished an adventuring party. It's been forever since I've tried to paint human faces, some of them I'm pretty happy with. Others a little less so.

Starring:

Conan the Barbarian, as himself

Valerielf

Ye Dragonman

The Axecutioner

and Christopher Lee as Baron Kalgoth

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Not my best work but I love my sweet angry boi all the same. Building this thing was some of the most fun I've ever had kitbashing something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Finished up the largest model I've ever painted, had a ton of fun sponge weathering it. Gotta practice basing more as I think I need to wait longer until I put the varnish on as it ruined the nice snowdrifts I had in this picture, but I can always add more snow

I think next up will be the riptide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Spanish Manlove posted:

Finished up the largest model I've ever painted, had a ton of fun sponge weathering it. Gotta practice basing more as I think I need to wait longer until I put the varnish on as it ruined the nice snowdrifts I had in this picture, but I can always add more snow

I think next up will be the riptide

That weathering is cool as hell, and the Ghostkeel is such an awesome looking model.