Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why bother explaining the difference between individual ship purchases and game packages? Better to show off your never been done before password strength indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

HexiDave posted:

12 seconds of actual game footage - all flat shots
80 seconds of a web page, including such highlights as:

- Pick a username
- What a password is
- Stealing a line from Lord of the Rings
- Buy a game package

All narration done on a laptop mic in the bathroom.

120 seconds of explaining how to fill out a web form

0 seconds of explaining the difference between a ship purchase and game package (one lets you access the game, the other doesn't)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol

:reddit: Guys I played this over the free fly and it is so weird... I can't get it out of my head. It is everything I could ask for from a space game and it is not even done yet. Its like EVE, ED, and halo had a baby and I love it. I keep wondering what my new friends are up to, who is escaping from prison, who is doing missions, what planet they are on, what ship id have right now if I owned the game... (only given 1 ship during the free week although i heard other people had more so didnt focus on trying to grind to buy another ship)... I can not believe this game is in alpha. How great it is for something so many talk about the bugs with, this team is killing it!... I see what this software team has already done and am just jaw dropped impressed. As of right now, money is tight due to covid and RL changes BUT my PC ran it just fine so now my barrier to entry is much lower. I am counting the days until I can splurge the $45 for a starter pack. I just really want to give a shout out to just such an amazing community, amazing dev team, and I can't wait to see yall again! Look out for me soon in the skys!

TL;DR Send help, I think about this game all day and even dreamed about it once. I really loved the game and community during the free fly week! Thanks everyone for being cool fly bros.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
that guys entire post history is just scam after scam after scam lol

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

*Spend all night writing a 16 page rebuttal to Derek Smart defending your 'not-wife, wife, now ex-wife'.
I think this is still my favorite Star Citizen moment.

Hard to believe it was 5 loving years ago.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

Bettybigtits parachute

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Him getting scammed or trying to scam?

Because if it is the second then he has arrived to a good place

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
This is good for Star Citizen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1cC9QMBHI

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

So is everybody just eating Star Citizen's lunch now?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Good, gently caress CIG.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
We need the hello dump

Also congrats agent for your marriage. Have you bought that spouse ship I don't remember the name of?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Strangler 42 posted:

So is everybody just eating Star Citizen's lunch now?

When you're Chris Roberts, the scam's the limit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This looks like total crap.

But at least it will apparently have a launch.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Yay, they’re doing poo poo haikus on the sub

quote:

Star Citizen Haiku

drat trading console
Why won't you loving work
Piece of loving poo poo

quote:

The Concierge life
CCUs are the real game
Hangar Citizen

quote:

As much as I cry
I will not complain too much
It is an alpha

quote:

I tried to hand-mine
But they nerfed the scanner range
gently caress you CIG asshats...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dooguk posted:

Did he mention he has faith in Chris Roberts?

Big mistake if he didn't.

Nope. :(

I guess he missed a critical pillar of making a proper judge mental post. He's probably been banned by now and is no longer allowed into the Spectrum gates of heaven. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

lol

:reddit: Guys I played this over the free fly and it is so weird... I can't get it out of my head. It is everything I could ask for from a space game and it is not even done yet. Its like EVE, ED, and halo had a baby and I love it. I keep wondering what my new friends are up to, who is escaping from prison, who is doing missions, what planet they are on, what ship id have right now if I owned the game... (only given 1 ship during the free week although i heard other people had more so didnt focus on trying to grind to buy another ship)... I can not believe this game is in alpha. How great it is for something so many talk about the bugs with, this team is killing it!... I see what this software team has already done and am just jaw dropped impressed. As of right now, money is tight due to covid and RL changes BUT my PC ran it just fine so now my barrier to entry is much lower. I am counting the days until I can splurge the $45 for a starter pack. I just really want to give a shout out to just such an amazing community, amazing dev team, and I can't wait to see yall again! Look out for me soon in the skys!

TL;DR Send help, I think about this game all day and even dreamed about it once. I really loved the game and community during the free fly week! Thanks everyone for being cool fly bros.

Aw look, you found what became of the pixelemonade chief of staff and top journalist. :)

I hope he gets a new gig soon so he can dump all that money directly into the Chris Roberts vacation fund. :)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

trucutru posted:

This looks like total crap.

Yeah it does. Supposedly everything is player built, including the economy, which sounds like a big pile of poo poo to me, but different strokes and all that. I imagine people will have lots of fun building giant dick-and-balls ships to ram into the tryhard space dads' millenium falcons

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pixelate posted:

Yay, they’re doing poo poo haikus on the sub

I finally learned
How to best spell Chris Roberts
F - R - A - U - D

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I finally learned
How to best spell Chris Roberts
F - R - A - U - D

My take is
S - C - U -M

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

lol

When I read stuff like this I just assume a marketing person wrote it. It just reads like someone imagining what a person would say after having a good time with their game. "Imagining what my friends are doing in-game" like you were able to make lifelong connections in the MMO where it takes 20 minutes to leave your spawn point and the servers are going down once per hour and there are no group or social mechanics except a rudimentary chat box.

"Eve, ED, and Halo had a baby." Well, three parents would explain the extra chromosome.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheAgent posted:

lol

quote:

Great post! New players like you remind us about what is so easy to forget....how far SC has come. Welcome to the 'Verse, Citizen! Glad to have you. o7

quote:

If we forget about the glitches and the crashes and the complete lack of content and story. Star citizen is very immersive and beautiful so it creates very appealing experiences. And all the different ships make the game appeal to me as a collector.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Less talking more horrible theatres of war footage.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah it does. Supposedly everything is player built, including the economy, which sounds like a big pile of poo poo to me, but different strokes and all that. I imagine people will have lots of fun building giant dick-and-balls ships to ram into the tryhard space dads' millenium falcons

If it's anything like Robocraft or Cross-Out (And it looks like it does) the majority of ships will be under-designed rectangles that exploit some aspect of the game's physics engine

And yet I'll be one of the try-hard space dads who makes ships inspired by whatever scifi property has my attention right now

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

DOMDOM posted:

I think this is still my favorite Star Citizen moment.

Hard to believe it was 5 loving years ago.

Sorry I left out "'while on coke"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
SQ42 Beta this year!

quote:

How long has it been since the last SQ42 Update?

Since Last SQ42 Roadmap Update: 342 Days (site says March 6th of this year, but that update was a post that said the Roadmap hadn't been updated in some time and was no longer going to be used)

Since Last Video Update: 154 Days

Since Last Update saying they were going to give us an Updated Roadmap: 94 days

Since They Announced A new video Update: 22 Days

Since The Last Monthly Report: 7 Days

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Since I Last Pledged: 12 Minutes

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:shepspends: CryEngine vs StarEngine (Spectrum)

I'm kind of curious about what significant changes have been made to CryEngine to get it to work with the vision of Star Citizen. I know CIG/CR hired a bunch of developers that worked extensively on CryEngine and I can only surmise this meant that those developers would be able to take the existing engine and re-purpose/re-factor and build on what the CryEngine's original design was to better accomodate Star Citizen.
So my question(s) are basically, what major parts of the CryEngine have been replaced as its transitioned to StarEngine? I imagine the entire netcode had to be re-done? Is pCache legacy code of the CryEngine system and thats why iCache is needed to essentially completely replace this entire system? How much of CryEngine legacy code still remains, has most of it been completely replaced in the transition to StarEngine?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson I have no idea what the full list would be but here are some of the things changed/replaced/added that immediately spring to mind, in no particular order.
- 64 bit precision coordinate system conversion
- 64 bit entity id conversion
- Physics grids
- Zone culling system
- Game rules and game mode refactor
- Memory manager
- Batch workers
- Background workers
- Fiber support
- Build system
- Crash handler
- Entity components
- Update scheduler
- Entity hierarchy
- Entity aggregates
- Object containers
- Spawn batches
- Serialized variables
- Remote methods
- Serialized metadata
- Serialized snapshots
- Entity lifetime policies
- Asynchronous entity spawning
- Asynchronous entity removal
- Bind culling
- Client Object Container Streaming
- Server Object Container Streaming
- Persistence
- Item system
- Vehicle system
- Actor system
- Network message queue
- Datacore
- Language support
- Weapon system
- Transit system
- IFCS
- ATC
- Mission system
- AI
- Subsumption
- GPU particles
- Motion blur
- Deferred renderer
- Lighting
- Shadow rendering
- Volumetric rendering
- Planetary tech
- Weather effects
- Clock synchronisation
- Telemetry
- Audio engine
- Render to texture
- Fluid simulation
- Cloth simulation
- Water/ocean rendering
- VOIP
- FOIP
- DNA character customizer
- LUA removal
- Megamaps
- Client crash recovery
- UI
- UI building blocks
- Signed distance fields
- Camera system
- Animation system
- Unification of first and third person persperspectives
- Encryption
- File system
- Delta patcher
- Star map
- Quantum travel
- More shaders than you could shake a stick at
- Debug server renderer
- Attachment system
- Parallel network processing
- Headless clients
- Network entity replication
- Atmosphere rendering
- Melee combat
- Cover system
- Interaction system
- Room system
- Actor status
- Diffusion
- Entitlement system
- Matchmaking
- Lag compensation
There are many, many more. Not to mention all the tools, scripts, backend services and web services needed to create and edit content, build the executables and asset files, deploy the servers, download clients and allow the game to actually run.

:shepspends: This is an incredible list, thank you! Are those things also coming to lumberyard as well?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson All the things I listed are bespoke changes made by CIG.

:shepspends: Are you also using new things from lumberyard or does a "fork" make that more difficult?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson Having so many bespoke changes would make integrating changes from Lumberyard very difficult, if not impossible in some cases. There would need to be a careful evaluation of whether the gain outweighed the effort required or it would be easier/better to develop our own solution. As far as I am aware we haven't integrated anything new from Lumberyard.

:shepspends: with the benefit of hindsight, would have building a new engine from scratch been the better decision? or for what reasons was using cryengine / lumberyard preferable?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson The benefit of starting with an existing engine is that it allowed us to fairly quickly get a base level of functionality up and running that could then be built upon. Building an engine from scratch is a massive undertaking and for most of it you have very little to show apart from some basic looking tech demos.

:shepspends: Thanks Clive. Server meshing doesn't seem to be listed? How is that coming along btw?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson I only listed work that has been completed or at least an iteration of it has been released in a patch, which is why Server Meshing isn't on there. It's being worked on but beyond that I'm not supposed to talk about it.

:shepspends: Does this mean that StarEngine is basically all C++ now?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson Yes, apart from shaders and scripting of missions and AI behaviour via Subsumption it's all C++

:shepspends: So if you had to make an estimate, how much of the code is still Lumberyard? I know a few years back, CIG rewritten 50% of the code or so, at how much are we today?  

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson I can't really give an estimate because my work only touches a small part of the entire code. Most other programmers will be the same. I can say the parts I work on are pretty much unrecognizable compared to the original. In recent years the company has hired some programmers with previous CryEngine or Lumberyard experience and I believe it hasn't really helped them with the learning curve. That's possibly a better indication of how much has changed.

:reddit: Some of these look more like game additions than engine changes?

:homebrew: Generally major game addition changes require corresponding engine changes. There are a lot of small dependencies that I imagine did not make the list. Things like "that tech thing which lets a planet have gravity on a sphere in the engine"

:eng101:

Star Citizer: very little to show apart from some basic looking tech demos.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, things like;

- AI
- Mission System
- Item system
- Motion blur
- Weapon system
- Render to texture
- Lighting
- Matchmaking
- Melee combat
- Cover system

Are all things that have never been done in CryEngine before.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Popete posted:

Ah yes, things like;

- AI
- Mission System
- Item system
- Motion blur
- Weapon system
- Render to texture
- Lighting
- Matchmaking
- Melee combat
- Cover system

Are all things that have never been done in CryEngine before.

Well, the GIC person did say that things that were modified or replaced. They probably broke all those bits.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson The benefit of starting with an existing engine is that it allowed us to fairly quickly get a base level of functionality up and running that could then be built upon. Building an engine from scratch is a massive undertaking and for most of it you have very little to show apart from some basic looking tech demos.

I'm guessing if they made an engine from scratch they'd have one chair clipping through a single metal floor by now.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: New loading screen popped up a few minutes ago

:shepspends: shame cant wait to get rekt at 3fps, sure hope the playerbase doesen't evapourate like with arena commander and star marine.

:v:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Quavers posted:

- Memory manager
- Background workers
- Fiber support
- Entity components
- GPU particles
- Motion blur
- Deferred renderer
- Lighting
- Shadow rendering
- Volumetric rendering
- Audio engine
- Render to texture
- Water/ocean rendering

Ahh Cry, the engine without, sound, water, memory, particle effects, shadows, or any number of bog standard 10+ year old techniques.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

They had to add engine support for all those features when the commandos shoelaces are green instead of blue

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Electronic Access Archer

Really...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: This is an incredible list, thank you! Are those things also coming to lumberyard as well?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson All the things I listed are bespoke changes made by CIG.

:shepspends: Are you also using new things from lumberyard or does a "fork" make that more difficult?

:trustme: CIG@cjohnson Having so many bespoke changes would make integrating changes from Lumberyard very difficult, if not impossible in some cases. There would need to be a careful evaluation of whether the gain outweighed the effort required or it would be easier/better to develop our own solution. As far as I am aware we haven't integrated anything new from Lumberyard.

My favorite part. CIG has absolutely no intention of using any part of Lumberyard aside from the name to avoid licensing fees.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

If you want to cringe about dev costs, here's a 2013 article from Nature:
https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/viruses101/how_many_mammalian_viruses_are/

nature posted:

Before now, some scientists speculated there to be millions of undiscovered mammalian viruses. Only 320,000 mammalian viruses is a much more reassuring and manageable number than ten million. Now that the number of estimated viruses has dropped from the millions to hundred thousands, identifying each one is feasible. The researchers' goal is to track down every single mammalian virus and catalogue it. Dr. Anthony predicts that all mammalian viruses can be identified over a 10 year period for a mere $6.3 billion. You may not think of $6.3 billion as a small amount, but in comparison to the cost of pandemics it's not too outlandish. The SARS outbreak(1) alone cost $16 billion dollars. For just $1.2 billion the scientists estimate that 85% of mammalian viruses can be identified. What's more, a species richness estimator known as Chao 2 predicts that 85% of the viruses can be identified from studying only 500 species of mammals. Due to their rarity, 5,000 species would need to be studied to identify the remaining 15% of viruses. Putting in the time and money to find each virus before they reach epidemic proportions could pay off tremendously in the long run. As Dr. Anthony said "If we know what's out there, we'll be a lot better prepared when a virus jumps over into a human population."

Yup, for about four times the amount spent on this we could potentially find and head off the next big viral nasty to come around.

(1)Note: the SARS outbreak being referred to is not the current outbreak, which is caused by SARS-COV-2.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Why have they subtitled this after the Robert's family trust mansion in L.A.?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Experimental Skin posted:

Electronic Access Archer

Really...

Electronic Artscherd.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly reading that post about the dev writing a poo poo ton regarding what was "changed" from Cryengine and Starengine.

Its bullshit right? Who would spend time writing such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

no_recall posted:

Honestly reading that post about the dev writing a poo poo ton regarding what was "changed" from Cryengine and Starengine.

Its bullshit right? Who would spend time writing such a thing?

Chris must be sharing his 'vitamins' again.