Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Invictus posted:

they made the cannons able to fire the 1x1 "barrel" pieces eventually, which I discovered by accident and it totally ruled

way better than the crappy stud shooters of today

Yes that was loving awesome when I learned that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The cannons in the US pirate sets were disabled for a long time because of safety reasons (ironic, I know) but the international versions of those sets have always had shooting cannons since 1989.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

RIP M:Tron.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
There were two kinds of shooting cannons, one with a spring that you pulled back and released and the other with a firing pin-like piece that you flicked with your finger and could shoot the 1x1 round bricks pretty far. But later sets just had solid molded cannons and they sucked.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I only ever had the solid cannons and was mad jealous of the shooty ones

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I had a BSB and some other pirate sets of the time (the shipwreck outpost whose name escapes me and El Dorado(?) fortress) and they came with spring loaded cannons in the US. Still in my closet at my parents’ house somewhere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dogen posted:

I had a BSB and some other pirate sets of the time (the shipwreck outpost whose name escapes me and El Dorado(?) fortress) and they came with spring loaded cannons in the US. Still in my closet at my parents’ house somewhere.

Judging by the pieces in my box, I had at least a couple pirate sets. One of them was definitely

but I don't know what the other one was.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

This one, Sabre Island, has a beautiful baseplate.

When I bought a BSB it came with the spring cannons, which was the first time I ever saw them- I assumed the seller had sold me the re release rather than the original as it was a completely “new” part to me.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Dogen posted:

It's definitely possible shooty cannons appeared in some US sets from the beginning even if they weren't supposed to. It wouldn't surprise me if that was a production mistake on Lego's part.

I'm not American so all of my cannons are shooty except one, and that one came from one of the US-only pirate sets (6250) which I bought off Bricklink. I have most of the other classic PIrates sets, all the way from 1989 to 2001 and every single one came with the shooty kind.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The rare Onion article where the text is funnier than the headline

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

When I bought a BSB it came with the spring cannons, which was the first time I ever saw them- I assumed the seller had sold me the re release rather than the original as it was a completely “new” part to me.

I bought the BSB release at LEGO Land Germany back in the early 2000s, that one came with the non-shooty cannons with the symbol on the barrel, I thought that was a mistake because this box has the shooty versions printed on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nth Doctor posted:

I really dig the overhead lights.

Thanks! It was fun trying to make something work with a fairly limited but not useless set of parts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Found a bunch of these in an old Lego box connected together with bars, and every single one snapped as I pulled them off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Found a bunch of these in an old Lego box connected together with bars, and every single one snapped as I pulled them off.

Ughhh, my 1x1s with clips have all been breaking recently, I guess they're too old now :(

Also, why the gently caress do I curse myself with impossible goals? Why did I think my racer needed a special secret base?

Edit: Double-why do I always think making a natural stone/mountain base out of grey blocks is going to be enjoyable in any way?

"It'll be fun to try to emulate an organic stone outcropping in angular bricks!" I exclaim, blasting drool from my idiot mouth with each plosive

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 10, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I just pulled out my Milano to dust it off and the clips for the element guns are toast. I think all c clips randomly have problems but man in that light brown they seem to die fast.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

By far the largest issue I've been facing in trying to rebuild sets out of my very large collection to sell has been broken c-clips. I think I have five unbroken battle droid arms out of about forty. And it's not just arms, I have broken 1x1s with c clips by the dozen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dogen posted:

I just pulled out my Milano to dust it off and the clips for the element guns are toast. I think all c clips randomly have problems but man in that light brown they seem to die fast.

My Haunted Mansion came with 2 busted C clips for me when the guy I bought it from disassembled it, both where in that golden color.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Both ends of the arms for these guys broke for me almost instantly back when I got the Republic Gunship, it mist have been that colour, I remember the clips being really stiff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That’s gotta be the worst mini figure LEGO has ever made. It looks like something that came out of a vending machine for 25c

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Dunno about the worst, but it's up there. A few of the early Star Wars figs were pretty janky like the first Sebulba:

And Aldar Beedo:

But my vote for worst would go to the Mars Mission aliens:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ExParrot posted:

Both ends of the arms for these guys broke for me almost instantly back when I got the Republic Gunship, it mist have been that colour, I remember the clips being really stiff.

They feel like a different plastic to me, like they used the star wars sets to test run a new manufacturing process for one-off custom pieces.

And since every single one I've ever owned broke to the point where I don't even have one complete Super Battle Droid, I'd say it failed.

E:

quote:

But my vote for worst would go to the Mars Mission aliens:

These I'll give a pass because they fit into little sleds that could shoot through pneumatic tubes. If they had moveable arms or connectors they'd be really easy to accidentally get jammed in the tubes.

quote:

And Aldar Beedo:

But I've never seen this before and it is indeed inexcusable.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 10, 2020

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
The Aldar Beedo fig looks like something you’d find in a quarter capsule machine at the Dollar Tree.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So thanks to another goon who reminded me that there was a LEGO Wall-E, I bought a brand new set for way too much and just built it up. Finishing the set I noticed that it's neck is really loose and apparently LEGO issued a "fix" bag or something for it to change the build and fix the neck issues. Obviously 7 years later I'm sure I can't contact LEGO about getting the fix bag, but I'm not sure what parts exactly I need in addition to what's already in the neck in order to fix it. Looks like definitely need those two large ball and socket pieces that were used in the arms, though I don't know the piece numbers. I found a German video that shows the bag with pieces for the clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qixn5WIbVWU&t=117s

Can anyone help me with the part numbers so I can buy these via Bricklink or somewhere else?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

Can anyone help me with the part numbers so I can buy these via Bricklink or somewhere else?

Here you go.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

40 loving dollars for those pieces? What the gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's 40 dollars for the kit with the instructions, collectors/resellers are dumb.

Individually those 10 parts are gonna be like 1 dollar, click the "10 parts" link up near the top and build a wishlist out of the parts on that page.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Going by the part inventory it's probably a bit cheaper. That's just for the original sealed bag which you're just going to have to open anyway if you intend on using the pieces.

e:b

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

sigher posted:

If you double your order I would be happy to pay you for a set :) I never got around to fixing my poor-necked Wall-E

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

It's 40 dollars for the kit with the instructions, collectors/resellers are dumb.

Individually those 10 parts are gonna be like 1 dollar, click the "10 parts" link up near the top and build a wishlist out of the parts on that page.

Literally this, the rarest of those parts (the liftarm) appeared in 33 sets and breaks the bank at $0.06 USD.

You can probably get them all, shipped, for under ten bucks. You won't, you'll look at peoples' inventories and find more crap you want or have to meet a minimum for better shipping and then end up with $45 dollars of Classic Space windows or whatever like the rest of us nerds, but it's theoretically possible to acquire those for less than a forums membership.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Someone made good use of BL

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

xzzy posted:

Oh thank heavens, I've never used Bricklink before so I didn't know if there was a way to just bring up the individual parts. Is there anyway to add the parts to the cart and just have Bricklink consolidate the order to be from the least amount of sellers as possible?

djfooboo posted:

If you double your order I would be happy to pay you for a set :) I never got around to fixing my poor-necked Wall-E

Definitely doable if it's easy to do so with Bricklink.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sigher posted:

Oh thank heavens, I've never used Bricklink before so I didn't know if there was a way to just bring up the individual parts. Is there anyway to add the parts to the cart and just have Bricklink consolidate the order to be from the least amount of sellers as possible?

Yeah, that's what the wishlist feature is for. It's not a super obvious process but if you make an account and browse to a part, click the 'add to wanted list' link. Then once you've populated that in the upper right corner of the page is the WANT icon, click that and there should be an 'easy buy' link on there somewhere, the default should be the 'Default Wanted List' one. It does its best to find the parts from as few sellers as possible for the best price. You can do it manually too by clicking the wanted list name and at the bottom hitting the 'buy all' button which will allow you to pick individual vendors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

With Big Yella Bastard in dock, my racer pit stop is a bit over a foot tall... I may have gotten carried away.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Someone made good use of BL

When I first saw that I did the nerd thing and worked out how big a box you'd actually need.

Assuming that each of the bills is $100 and you stack them neatly rather than loose in bags, you'd need a box about two cubic metres (or 60 cubic feet) big to hold $4 billion worth.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

So thanks to another goon who reminded me that there was a LEGO Wall-E, I bought a brand new set for way too much and just built it up. Finishing the set I noticed that it's neck is really loose and apparently LEGO issued a "fix" bag or something for it to change the build and fix the neck issues. Obviously 7 years later I'm sure I can't contact LEGO about getting the fix bag, but I'm not sure what parts exactly I need in addition to what's already in the neck in order to fix it. Looks like definitely need those two large ball and socket pieces that were used in the arms, though I don't know the piece numbers. I found a German video that shows the bag with pieces for the clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qixn5WIbVWU&t=117s

I bought that set after it was fixed and always wondered how the messed it up originally. What a weird oversight.

One of the greatest Lego sets ever though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I bought that set after it was fixed and always wondered how the messed it up originally. What a weird oversight.

One of the greatest Lego sets ever though.

Mine was one of the retrofitted boxes.. packaged before the problem was discovered, but not before it was shipped to me. So the box had been opened by someone at Lego and they had inserted the instruction manual addendum and the extra pieces on top of everything.

Must have cost an assload of money to fix that mistake.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

When I first saw that I did the nerd thing and worked out how big a box you'd actually need.

Assuming that each of the bills is $100 and you stack them neatly rather than loose in bags, you'd need a box about two cubic metres (or 60 cubic feet) big to hold $4 billion worth.

So they could just reprint the box the UCS Falcon comes in

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Cute. https://youtu.be/ouI9RVheAtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Would Lego not just replace the Wall-E parts, even this long after? Every story I hear makes them seem like the kind of company it would at least be worth trying with.