Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
are helverins and war dogs the same kit, or does the war dog set have extra chaos bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

peer posted:

are helverins and war dogs the same kit, or does the war dog set have extra chaos bits?

They're the same kit. Pictures of war dogs in the chaos knights codex generally are kitbashed with stuff from the chaos rhino or other chaos vehicles sprues.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Stephenls posted:

They're the same kit. Pictures of war dogs in the chaos knights codex generally are kitbashed with stuff from the chaos rhino or other chaos vehicles sprues.

cool, thanks

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

xtothez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/10/having-a-blastgw-homepage-post-1/

Seems like this will be all weapons with a random number of shots that still roll to hit.

Venom cannons now seem rather interesting...

Naturally, people are already doomsaying that this is the end of days for units of 11 or higher.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

What armies generally run units of 11 or greater?

If it's exactly 11 it kinda sucks. If you're running 15+ it's NBD I think.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Bee posted:

Naturally, people are already doomsaying that this is the end of days for units of 11 or higher.

Well, I'm sure a lot of people are going to MSU at 5 models per just because of this rule change.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the new terrain rules will help infantry units survive the increase in potential damage output.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Gameko posted:

What armies generally run units of 11 or greater?

If it's exactly 11 it kinda sucks. If you're running 15+ it's NBD I think.

Tyranids, Orks, Genestealer Cults. Not sure about Militarum, but wouldn't be surprised.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Finally a use for combat squads

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Gunder posted:

Tyranids, Orks, Genestealer Cults. Not sure about Militarum, but wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, armies that can negate the penalties of big unit bunches or get bonuses for increased unit size at least have reason to not go MSU. Like, comparing Acolytes (who get scaling numbers of special weapons and want a psychic power increasing strength to a hilarious degree targeting many of them at once) and Neophytes (who can get 4/10 of their weapons special on each squad), its pretty obvious who'll be in the big pack and who'll be in the little cheap squads full of mining lasers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gunder posted:

Guard Conscripts are units of 20-30. No one uses 'em right now because they're the same cost as regular Infantry with worse stats and a penalty to receiving Orders. With the price changes for 9th, though, that may change and make them a more useful choice.

Chaos goes over 10 models a lot too. Cultists, Tzangors, all the lesser daemon types can all be taken in big mobs. I think Kroot in the Tau lists can too, come to think of it. So can Guardians for Eldar, and some of the Dark Eldar mob units like Wracks, I think.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ah, yes, people are going to stop using big squads of things they could have taken as MSUs to fill out detachments such as

Everything that wants to be a big squad has bonuses for being a big squad that aren't going to go away on a list building level because a battle cannon was mean to you, even if that bonus is "I lived, bitch" when targeted.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
A lot of it is going to depend on how other rules interact. Like, orks were already starting to not use boyz as much because they weren't getting across the table often enough to matter in the marine meta. If this makes them less likely, then you may not see boyz at all at a comp level (since a minimum sized unit of grots costs less and was more useful). If the terrain rules help negate that, then it might not matter much.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It also depends on how the detachment rules end up. If it's as expected and each detachment must be paid for, non-minimum squad sizes may used more often by more armies, notwithstanding the blast weapon change.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Terrain, and also the ability to deep strike anything, and since you don't need to take minimum size units of Grots to fill out battalions for CP anymore there's no similar compelling reason to take them in the numbers that were crowding out boyz.

EDIT: which is to say that the reason to not take Boyz has nothing to do with squad size and everything to do with competing factors that may or may not matter in 9th.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, agreed there. The original concept of detachments and CP was a sound one, but it quickly turned into finagling unit sizes to win harder. One brigade should be the most cost effective option. Three brigades should not, in turn, be three times as cost effective.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

Terrain, and also the ability to deep strike anything, and since you don't need to take minimum size units of Grots to fill out battalions for CP anymore there's no similar compelling reason to take them in the numbers that were crowding out boyz.

EDIT: which is to say that the reason to not take Boyz has nothing to do with squad size and everything to do with competing factors that may or may not matter in 9th.

Eh, grot shields will still exist. Unless grots get a huge points hike compared to boyz, then they're more useful for your minimum troops units. Boyz are useful primarily because of the sheer number of attacks you can get with them when you have big ol' squads (both the extra attack you get, plus how much better any buffs become when they apply to thirty models). If you're not likely to see that many survive to make the attacks, then their utility goes way down, and you might as well go all grots and spend the points on units that have a better chance of earning their points back.

Again, that assumes that there aren't other rules considerations that will help boyz survive. It sounds like the terrain rules are going to make it a lot harder for other armies from deleting them from all the way across the map, which will help a lot. I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom and Gloom. I'm just saying that boyz in MSUs are generally not worthwhile compared to taking grots and spending the points somewhere else.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Now i want to somehow field 3 Brigades worth of units in a 2000 point game

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JackMann posted:

Eh, grot shields will still exist. Unless grots get a huge points hike compared to boyz, then they're more useful for your minimum troops units. Boyz are useful primarily because of the sheer number of attacks you can get with them when you have big ol' squads (both the extra attack you get, plus how much better any buffs become when they apply to thirty models). If you're not likely to see that many survive to make the attacks, then their utility goes way down, and you might as well go all grots and spend the points on units that have a better chance of earning their points back.

Again, that assumes that there aren't other rules considerations that will help boyz survive. It sounds like the terrain rules are going to make it a lot harder for other armies from deleting them from all the way across the map, which will help a lot. I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom and Gloom. I'm just saying that boyz in MSUs are generally not worthwhile compared to taking grots and spending the points somewhere else.

My point wasn't really intended as a "No, actually, Boyz will be good". It was directed entirely toward the fact that Blast weapons are going to do absolutely nothing to the size of Boyz squads taken. You're not going to take MSUs of Boyz because Blast exists.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

My point wasn't really intended as a "No, actually, Boyz will be good". It was directed entirely toward the fact that Blast weapons are going to do absolutely nothing to the size of Boyz squads taken. You're not going to take MSUs of Boyz because Blast exists.

Oh, then yeah, we're agreed. If they stop taking max-sized units of boyz, it's because they're not taking boyz at all. But again, way too early to make that call.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think the real thing to think about is how much would you load up on anti infantry blast weapons in an all comers list? Something that is super good against Orks and Tyranids but not against most other armies isn't going to be a wild distuption for anything.

If you are loading up to tailor against a specific opponent you are playing a narrative game at that point anyway.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think the real thing to think about is how much would you load up on anti infantry blast weapons in an all comers list? Something that is super good against Orks and Tyranids but not against most other armies isn't going to be a wild distuption for anything.

If you are loading up to tailor against a specific opponent you are playing a narrative game at that point anyway.

At long last the Missile Launcher's day has arrived

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
combing the anti-tank of a worse lascannon with the anti horde of 3 rapid firing bolters

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Gonna be a fun few weeks of a rules leak and everyone delcaring xyz garbage forever.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Battle Cannons aren't suddenly worse against MSUs tho.

They're the same as they are now, which is fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeast posted:

Battle Cannons aren't suddenly worse against MSUs tho.

They're the same as they are now, which is fine.

OK?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

got in another round of our ongoing tabletop sim 40k game, i was asking for help choosing aggressors or cannons or not a while back

after our disastrous first round we did pretty good, managed to wrap and trap a unit for ragnar and his intercessors and then everything else miraculously weathered a turn of ork gunline. my eliminators got finished off by some charging sisters but shrike only lost 2 wounds and mangled a squad of zephyrim, ragnars squad managed to survive with 2 models intact and ragnar healthy and he massacred the cannoness and pals who had come at him
my smash captain survives A SECOND ROUND of shooting having 1W with his 3++
and my librarian wiped a squad with smite and is sitting on our objective so we pulled ahead by 1 point

rules question: if 2 units charge an enemy unit and one of them kill the enemy before the other attacks, can the second unit that charged but did not attack consolidate?
its sorta confusing cause i'd say no since they don't get a fight phase, but the fight phase rules say "Select a unit that charged OR is within 1 inch" for the fight phase, so can you select the unit that charges and skip straight to consolidate?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Guess we can post now that NOVA Open has been cancelled. :(

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Simmer down, I'm not having a go at you. I was responding to your point.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what Necron kits look like they are being replaced? Warriors for sure, anything else?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OhDearGodNo posted:

Guess we can post now that NOVA Open has been cancelled. :(

It was clearly the right choice, little crazy they waited so long.

Hopefully people back the charitable foundation heavily this year.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

So what Necron kits look like they are being replaced? Warriors for sure, anything else?

Probably destroyers, scarabs look a bit new too. The monolith in the big group image looks updated & new as well.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Yeast posted:

It was clearly the right choice, little crazy they waited so long.

Hopefully people back the charitable foundation heavily this year.

I didn’t donate all, I had spent quite a bit on there however I did leave a decent contribution. I try to also help out in other ways that I can.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Communist Thoughts posted:

rules question: if 2 units charge an enemy unit and one of them kill the enemy before the other attacks, can the second unit that charged but did not attack consolidate?
its sorta confusing cause i'd say no since they don't get a fight phase, but the fight phase rules say "Select a unit that charged OR is within 1 inch" for the fight phase, so can you select the unit that charges and skip straight to consolidate?

They get to both pile-in and consolidate when it is is their turn for activation as long as they made a successful charge.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Someone post the new destroyer and that old concept art

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Funzo posted:

To be fair, the good X-Wing apps and list builders are third party. The official app is terrible.

Ah I left before Mk2 - I assumed they'd just adopted a good one, but X-Wing has amazing fan support for apps - I guess a function of there being a (relatively) limited set of cards and upgrades, as opposed to the humongous sprawl that is the Black Library the Battlescribe guys keep going.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Gonna be a fun few weeks of a rules leak and everyone delcaring xyz garbage forever.

the clubs don't make the man, I'll be garbage forever

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeast posted:

Simmer down, I'm not having a go at you. I was responding to your point.

:hmmyes:

The internet is a weird place.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Giant Isopod posted:

They get to both pile-in and consolidate when it is is their turn for activation as long as they made a successful charge.

Sweet, my sick nasty ragnar and intercessors wrap and trap was legal!

Thanks goonhammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is running Celestine and St Katherine's mardi gras at the same time dumb as poo poo or cool as hell?