Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Zyme posted:

how the hell are so many people drowning

Because they can't swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I would assume drowning is way more common in places like Bangladesh than in other parts of the world.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

I would assume drowning is way more common in places like Bangladesh than in other parts of the world.

Atlantis records the most drownings iirc.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Good news, in 2 days this will all be over.

This is technically me but i went camping last week and plan to go again this week because I didn't see anyone last week so lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

shovelbum posted:

Wait they were doing full NZ style lockdowns or what?

eh not quite, refreshing my memory, but for a few towns last fall you weren't supposed to go out at dusk or dawn. that seemed wild at the time, and I transitioned an employee in the area to permanently work from home because of it, and then. .....

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

who's ready for swollen horsebrain fever + COVID

Plus Lyme disease from all of the people going outside and not pulling off the ticks

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

OEU!

https://twitter.com/baltimoresun/status/1270828256875470854

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Greg Legg posted:

Sorry from a few pages back my experience here I really think the administration at the district level kind of failed their way up there so you don't notice how useless they are until there's a shock to the system and they're unable to react to it. I am not saying this is true for your friends and family.

I have parents calling me daily and crying because behaviors are escalating and there's nothing I can do from a distance and I'm getting no guidance from above. I got word yesterday that they are considering leaving it up to the individual schools and teachers to decide, which is fine, but if it took them three months to decide that then lol gently caress them any pay cut should come from them and not the teachers union.

pretty sure everyone thinks district-level administrators are useless, and this is coming from someone who used to work in a technically district-level administrative position. no offense taken because everyone I know in those positions would agree too.

The issue in this case is that the failure really goes even higher. A lot of administrators would love to reopen schools because a lot of administrators think butts in seats and NUMBERS are the only things that matter. The problem is that they're not even being given any guidance, so there's this weird limbo where nobody wants to be the school or district that causes a huge outbreak. The CDC guidelines are useless from a practical standpoint and nobody has a good idea of what is or isn't safe.

Basically there's a lot of CYA happening where it's like "well we'll open if you really want but it's going to cost you your entire municipal budget okay thanks"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
e: I'll wait

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wow miniature golf back open, what a relief!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

etalian posted:

Wow miniature golf back open, what a relief!

ocean city is back

ocean city is back !!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Friendship ended with SARS-COV2, now EEE is my best friend

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Were there ever updates on cats and covid? I remember they said they proved cats can pass it to each other, but hadn't really seen many symptoms like a month ago.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

EEE has been around forever and we freak out about it every summer. It loving sucks if you get it but there are like 5 cases total in the US every year.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Were there ever updates on cats and covid? I remember they said they proved cats can pass it to each other, but hadn't really seen many symptoms like a month ago.

Turns out mink get it too.

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1268623834502103041?s=20

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Remember how lots of us listened to that "don't buy masks" horseshit early on? Well ee got scammed again. I just realized that you can't simultaneously believe two common bits of info -- 1. That n95's don't protect you very well unless they're fitted to form a tight seal, and 2. That you don't need an n95 unless you're in an extremely high risk area, otherwise a cloth mask or a scarf is enough.

Think about it! Why would fitment and seal be so important for making n95's much better than placebo, yet it's not important at all for a scarf or improvised mask? Which all fit like poo poo?

The appeal of real masks over improvised is that they're industrially designed to fit!
I can't believe all the irresponsible advice being handed out that everyone should, as the default, manufacture their own life saving equipment and not care about proper seal, unless it's specifically an n95. Cloth and homemade masks are garbage because they seal like garbage.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A poorly fitted mask still stops you from spraying spit in a 30 foot cone like some kind of covid dragon when you sneeze or cough or sing or shout, which is the primary purpose of masks for general use.

N95s need to be well sealed as part of a full PPE getup if you are going to spend significant time in enclosed spaces with people you suspect may be carriers.

It's really not a contradiction unless you only care about yourself and no one else.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Austin has decided to join the covid zone. 3 day case spike 1 day hospitalization spike.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Remember how lots of us listened to that "don't buy masks" horseshit early on? Well ee got scammed again. I just realized that you can't simultaneously believe two common bits of info -- 1. That n95's don't protect you very well unless they're fitted to form a tight seal, and 2. That you don't need an n95 unless you're in an extremely high risk area, otherwise a cloth mask or a scarf is enough.

Think about it! Why would fitment and seal be so important for making n95's much better than placebo, yet it's not important at all for a scarf or improvised mask? Which all fit like poo poo?

The appeal of real masks over improvised is that they're industrially designed to fit!
I can't believe all the irresponsible advice being handed out that everyone should, as the default, manufacture their own life saving equipment and not care about proper seal, unless it's specifically an n95. Cloth and homemade masks are garbage because they seal like garbage.

how many upvotes did you get for these where you originally posted them

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The original went where I typed "I'll wait" because someone else sniped a text heavy post right in front of my text heavy post

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

First positive test for a BLM protester. Sure enough in Victoria. Came down with symptoms the day after so didn't catch it there but absolutely would have been infectious. They wore a mask at least.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

FuzzySlippers posted:

Don't think I heard anything about it other than keep your cats inside and don't cuddle them when you're sick

(My porch isn't technically outside right because taking his porch time away would devastate him, it is not a ground floor)

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Paradoxish posted:

EEE has been around forever and we freak out about it every summer. It loving sucks if you get it but there are like 5 cases total in the US every year.

if you read the article (it's very good) the rate of cases is rising very very fast

quote:

Since the disease was first recorded in humans in 1938, there have been fewer than 100 cases statewide. Scott’s diagnosis brought the tally to 10 cases in 2019 alone, with mosquito season not yet over.

This is goddamn fascinating:

quote:

Seven months before most of the United States shut down to contain the coronavirus, Connecticut closed its campgrounds in an effort to combat EEE. The Rhode Island Philharmonic had to reschedule its outdoor concerts. In Michigan, Friday night football games were played on Saturday afternoons. Even still, players would line up before games, hold their breath, and close their eyes while the coach doused them with repellent — they’d play with numb, chemical lips.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

Don't think I heard anything about it other than keep your cats inside and don't cuddle them when you're sick

(My porch isn't technically outside right because taking his porch time away would devastate him, it is not a ground floor)

the cdc said pink snoot cats r immune its fine

vvv :wow:

seattle plague rat has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Jun 11, 2020

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

oh yeah...

TOP 5 NEW CASES USA

1. California +2,897
2.Texas +2,437 *NEW RECORD*
3. Arizona +1,556
4. Florida +1,371
5. North Carolina +1,167

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Ferrets/mink are like cats with how they get viruses, that's why they used to use cat vaccines on Ferrets

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
last year in Michigan we had a few sprays around as well as restrictions on gatherings during peak mosquito time due to EEE

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

seattle plague rat posted:

the cdc said pink snoot cats r immune its fine

vvv :wow:

Very good news

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

COVID-420 posted:

if you read the article (it's very good) the rate of cases is rising very very fast

This is goddamn fascinating:

Oh yeah, I wasn't really trying to downplay this. I actually live in CT so I remember when this was a big deal last summer, and even growing up there were summers where one case nearby meant the state went full nuclear warfare with fogging.

It's scary because this is probably a consequence of climate change, but I'm not worried about it being a major problem (yet)

EEE is the reason I'm super paranoid about leveling out land around my house and getting rid of any standing water anywhere

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dreylad posted:

It's getting harder for me to give a poo poo and wear a mask because most people have given up or aren't bothering so you feel a little bit more like a weirdo being the only one at the pharmacy wearing a mask. Still the risk of exposing my family to it keeps me honest.

wearing a mask gives you an excuse to do the bain voice, which is all the reason I need

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

facetoucher cat posted:

Ferrets/mink are like cats with how they get viruses, that's why they used to use cat vaccines on Ferrets

also mink "farming" is fuckin barbaric even beyond the normal industrialized meat production in this country :(

poor lil mustelids just wanna torment and eat pest rodents.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

COVID-420 posted:

oh yeah...

TOP 5 NEW CASES USA

1. California +2,897
2.Texas +2,437 *NEW RECORD*
3. Arizona +1,556
4. Florida +1,371
5. North Carolina +1,167

Ah yeah AZ punching with the big boys now.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lololololololololol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

spaceblancmange posted:

First positive test for a BLM protester. Sure enough in Victoria. Came down with symptoms the day after so didn't catch it there but absolutely would have been infectious. They wore a mask at least.

loving wonderful. I hope they delay the next round of openings, gyms set to reopen on the 22nd but that's too soon to see how big of a fuckup this created.

My local gym is already advertising the 22nd as a sure thing but it was never promised.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Where should I buy masks and what kind? I’m starting to run out of the surgical ones I’ve had and googling just brings up sketchy poo poo. I would like a reusable one but only if it’s a tight fitting one. I don’t want some lovely loose Etsy mask that looks like it was made from someone’s tablecloth.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rick posted:

Ah yeah AZ punching with the big boys now.

it's going to be wild when the first one caves and goes back to strict lockdown. the chuds will loving flip out and probably send real lovely pipebombs to the governor and mayors

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

wearing a mask gives you an excuse to do the bain voice, which is all the reason I need

poo poo that is a good point

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where should I buy masks and what kind? I’m starting to run out of the surgical ones I’ve had and googling just brings up sketchy poo poo. I would like a reusable one but only if it’s a tight fitting one. I don’t want some lovely loose Etsy mask that looks like it was made from someone’s tablecloth.

i've bought from like five companies and they've all been trash

i'm waiting for this indonesian techwear mask to come back in stock (around june 19th)

i have one of their bags and its incredible, super high quality materials for pretty cheap. mask is $8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SeANMcBAY posted:

I got one of these it's pretty cool. Three layers of fabric plus replaceable filters. Easy on easy off and a pretty decent seal. The filters are not N95, but they are PM 2.5, which is good because my state tends to be on fire about four months out of the year so it'll get used plenty.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1559267-REG/caseph_csf_rfmbl_reusable_facemask_blue.html