Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I tried virtual desktop > ALYX on quest and I think my pc just can’t handle it. Virtual desktop works fantastic and very low latency but Alyx is just jittery and slow.

Again though GTX 970 (which is old) but also 8GB RAM (very very old)

Worth getting some RAM and seeing if that makes it usable?

Edit: actually re reading the last page it’s definitely RAM isn’t it

I have a GTX 970 with an i5-4670k and 16GB of RAM and the game runs smoothly on VD with the Quest, so it's likely the RAM yea. I'm running at the recommended graphical settings (which I think is just lowest everything) and 100% SteamVR scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If there's a Bluetooth transceiver in the system, other than the one on the Index, does SteamVR use that one? With what the Realtek stuff being terrible in Windows 10 v2004? The one on my mainboard is from Intel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Road To VR has more on their look at the Reverb G2. It's mostly on the ergonomics, but one thing that does get mentioned is the new controllers are indeed backwards-compatible with existing WMR headsets. They'll be available separately, but they're prioritizing manufacturing them for release with the Reverb G2 headsets at launch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm a bit bothered that they didn't adopt the corner cam layout from Oculus. Doesn't look like it'll be reliable when doing things above your head with the controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm a bit bothered that they didn't adopt the corner cam layout from Oculus. Doesn't look like it'll be reliable when doing things above your head with the controller.

If it's tied to the Hololens 2 in any way like the original WMR headsets were, they might not have a choice in the matter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You'd figure that this'd be entirely customizable by the OEM, with what the tracking being an entirely software function that ought to be able to do the proper transforms to relocate/rotate whatever a camera sees into proper space.

Guess I'll be waiting for the Index 2. When's Half-Life 3 due?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Guess I'll be waiting for the Index 2. When's Half-Life 3 due?

So far we've been waiting 13 years to find that out.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

When's Half-Life 3 due?

Related Half-Life: Alyx spoiler - Half-Life: Alyx has critical parts that take place after HL2 so it's technically HL3 (maybe HL2.5)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Half Life Alyx is the third major half life game. For all intents and purposes, it is Half Life 3. Twisting yourself into knots in denial of this is silly, as if a titles chronology and main character has ever been what makes something a "true" follow-up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don’t think Valve is done making VR games, but I don’t expect a VR sequel to Alyx. They’re gonna do something new or make Left 4 Dead 3. VR co-op zombie killing would own. Portal (as we’ve discussed numerous times) doesn’t work good in VR due to motion sickness that a lot of us feel. But Valve will absolutely make something else, they’ve got too much riding on selling Index units.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Valve is making Half Life 3, Alyx isn't it. It is the third Half Life, but not 3. They also don't need help selling Index units.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It was implied in the past that the Index happened because of Alyx. Thus the question about HL3 proper.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Clearly HL Alyx is actually half life 5 because of hl2 ep 1 and ep 2 but then there is opfor and blueshift so really its half life 7 but then there is portal 1 and 2 which are also in the half life universe so really its half life 9 :v: Trying to brand Alyx as Half Life 3 is dumb and also totally ignores the ending of Alyx.

Whether valve makes HL3 in the next 15 years or not I guess we get to wait and see.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 was Half-Life 3.

E:fb

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

No man's sky is getting cross platform play. It's also coming to Xbox games pass for PC, which as far as I know has no VR titles. I'm curious if this will be the first. And now VR will reflect your character's height. No improvements to VR controls though

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just because a piece of narrative fiction has a number next to it doesn't mean it's obliged to carry on from the exact moment the last work finished and vice versa. If they make another Half Life game, it's going to be built upon the foundation of Alyx, much like the expansion packs were built upon HL1 and the episodes built upon HL2.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Half Life 3 is definitely going to be VR only. Valve doesn't give a gently caress, its bored of making desktop games and they loved making Alyx.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HL Alyx was very much a 'my first AAA VR game', polished and with budget in comparison against other VR games, but still way behind of AAA 2d game. I think it's easy to imagine a sequel that will expand on both systems and scope.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rage-saq posted:

Half Life 3 is definitely going to be VR only. Valve doesn't give a gently caress, its bored of making desktop games and they loved making Alyx.

Totaly. I just hope they actually make it rather than valving around for 15 years.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're looking at venues and streaming, integrate the Twitch audience into the game's audience just via nametags over their heads (Not necessarily the WHOLE audience, but like a random selection for example). Give them some individual animations for stuff like subs and tossing bits at the streamer (eg; cheering, or holding a billboard over their head with their resub message).

On a more general note, when building for VR work to integrate your game into the world rather than just a HUD as much as possible. That scroll of text can go on a karaoke monitor in front of the player in a dinky little club, for example, and on a big concert stage it might be set in the floor at an angle in front of the player so they can see both the audience and the screen (or just out behind the audience). The settings menus might be in a green room behind the stage, and for streaming make an option for a fixed camera out from the audience so players can make a big entrance walking out for a little hype. It's also a good place to store all those planned props and let people try out a few before heading out to perform.

sigher posted:

I don't battle myself, but I would play the hell out of the game if I could be in the audience as players on stage battle. That would be dope as all gently caress.

I really like the Twitch integration idea; also, what if the wall behind your opponent was spray painted with the words that you're supposed to use.

Ott_ posted:

Yeah man it should be open world too, and make it so you gotta roam around the city asking people to come watch you rap

Penpal posted:

If they're taking the VR freestyle battle rhythm genre open-world I demand as many jump orbs as Crackdown (2007}

All good ideas, but we'll probably wait until the sequel to go open world. :homebrew:

Thanks everybody! I'm adding all your posts to our ideas folder for VR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Combat Pretzel posted:

It was implied in the past that the Index happened because of Alyx. Thus the question about HL3 proper.

Everything Valve said about making Alyx was building the systems that allowed them to make the game. If they are "back" as they claim they are what with the smiles and saying poo poo like "man so tired of multiplayer" then I can imagine they are at least working on their next VR AAA title and because of the multiplayer fatigue they've talked about I'd have to assume it's a single player narrative one.
Spoilers on Alyx: And since you end the game as Gordon Freeman himself it kind of at least indicates where they want to go. "Cmon Gordon, we've got work to do." is a pretty large arrow, you know?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's plenty of stuff to innovate for the easily bored nerds at Valve too like figuring out melee combat, which will be necessary if they're going to let you wield a crowbar.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's tied to the Hololens 2 in any way like the original WMR headsets were, they might not have a choice in the matter.

The Rift S tracking with 5 cams seems about as rock-solid as you could want (despite what all the Index-having elitists will tell you) so the 4 camera of the Reverb 2 is the only concern i have as a potential next-step upgrade to the S

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder if this is a patent issue, is anybody besides oculus doing 4 camera on the headset? Seems like 4 would really be the minimum number of onboard cameras you'd want. Tracking on the Quest is about 95% as good as any reasonable person would want.

Seems like

1. additional cameras = more onboard processing needed to do spatial calculations
2. possible/probable patents involving algorithms that use more than 2 cameras

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

I wonder if this is a patent issue, is anybody besides oculus doing 4 camera on the headset? Seems like 4 would really be the minimum number of onboard cameras you'd want. Tracking on the Quest is about 95% as good as any reasonable person would want.

Seems like

1. additional cameras = more onboard processing needed to do spatial calculations
2. possible/probable patents involving algorithms that use more than 2 cameras

I doubt it, simply because Cosmos jumped on doing something similar with the over/under cameras at seemingly the eleventh hour.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inacio posted:

that is no longer a thing, sadly. best you can do is only update when you launch (pointless)

Set it to update only on launch
When a patch comes out, Rename your beat saber folder
Update
Delete the updated beat saber
Rename old folder back.
Congrats. It wont update again til next update.

*Make a backup of the core files. Worst case you can slap that on top of poo poo if you oops update*

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sometimes, you join a poker table and there’s some kid trying to be deeply philosophical and he won’t shut up for a moment, to the point you just stare in disbelief and eventually leave before even buying chips.

Other times, you land at a table with a bunch of chill people who gel really well and everyone ends up picking the same avatar so we can creep out whoever joins the table last. That was fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tip posted:

All good ideas, but we'll probably wait until the sequel to go open world. :homebrew:

Thanks everybody! I'm adding all your posts to our ideas folder for VR.

Oh, and please add the airhorn and if you can, work with Don Demarco to get his signature phrases "Bang bang/poo poo like that" so people can sound them off after a proper diss. Probably not the second, but the first part would rule.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Sometimes, you join a poker table and there’s some kid trying to be deeply philosophical and he won’t shut up for a moment, to the point you just stare in disbelief and eventually leave before even buying chips.

Other times, you land at a table with a bunch of chill people who gel really well and everyone ends up picking the same avatar so we can creep out whoever joins the table last. That was fun.

And sometimes you get a kid doing nothing but playing with the table toys as the timer slowly counts down for him to bet. Then when he checks at the last second, the last guy in line immediately raises so you do the entire process over again. Every turn.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Valve finally released some OpenXR support! :toot:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2396425843528787270

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does Oculus have OpenXR support? If so, there's no reason for ecosystem specific games (at least on mid-term), other than exclusivity rights because $$$, right?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They do, so does WMR, both in beta though. Valve were the ones dragging their feet.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I know why the Quest is better than the Rift S, but would you guys still recommend the S for dogfighting in DCS? I've heard reading the gauges is more difficult in the Quest, and that the lower refresh rate and compression is noticeable. Granted cordless living room VR sounds like fun, but that wouldn't be its primary use.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Rift S is better in that case, but I'd recommend waiting until the Reverb G2 is released since it's high resolution should end up making it the default choice for sim games that's fairly affordable ($599) while still being decent for regular VR games (up in the air, so wait for reviews).

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I think my 980 would prevent me from taking advantage of the G2, but it might be a better long term choice for when I inevitably upgrade my CPU and GPU.

The first Reverb had a lot of problems though right? I guess the odds of them messing up again should be low.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I think my 980 would prevent me from taking advantage of the G2, but it might be a better long term choice for when I inevitably upgrade my CPU and GPU.

The first Reverb had a lot of problems though right? I guess the odds of them messing up again should be low.

This new reverb appears to be significantly improved with much better optics and audio courtesy of valve and controllers with better ergonomics etc. As always waiting for real world reviews is a better idea than preordering.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

sigher posted:

Oh, and please add the airhorn and if you can, work with Don Demarco to get his signature phrases "Bang bang/poo poo like that" so people can sound them off after a proper diss. Probably not the second, but the first part would rule.

An air horn is a great and easy idea, thanks!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I went ahead and got the DAS for my Quest. It's awesome! A big factor to do so was not having to take headphones on and off and deal with its cord. The foam padding on the DAS is very fragile, though. I tore a section off already with my battery pack Velcro strap. I still need a counterweight on the back to make it feel the best.

I'm using velcro on the side mounts but, my DIY circular ring connection isn't working for the forehead strap. The connector I have digs into the top of my head and is quite uncomfortable. So I think I'll have to grab a clip from Etsy or something or look around some old junk to see if I have something similar first.

Did anyone else make their own connector for the frankenquest? Does the d-ring setup keep it comfortable? None of the videos showing how others have done it mention its comfort over time.

edit:
I dug through old junk and found a plastic slider clip thing from an old unused shoulder bag. It fits for the most part. I then cut bits off of a pen cap to keep it from sliding around on the smaller strip. It's janky but now feels much more comfortable and doesn't dig into my forehead.

(I had to tape the silicone face cover I got on since it didn't tightly. I need to see if there's any better ones out there.)

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 13, 2020

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AzureSkys posted:

Did anyone else make their own connector for the frankenquest? Does the d-ring setup keep it comfortable? None of the videos showing how others have done it mention its comfort over time.

There are so many different versions of 3d printed connectors out there for the DAS. You can pretty much just go to thingiverse, look one up, and pay for somebody to print it for you. I paid like $15 or so for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The upcoming Star Wars Squadrons, which is supposed to be some X-Wing/Tie Fighter type of game, will apparently come with VR support.