Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

So I bought Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. What should I know before I boot it up for the first time?

Talk to all green dots on your map, once at noon and once at midnight. This will build your affinity tree and by linking together theyll give you sidequests. Have you exhausted all the side quests in an area but aren't at 5 star affinity? Go and talk to all the green dots again and theyll probably have new things and new affinities since you did all their sidequesting which means more quests.

You don't need to do all sidequests, but early on when you are hurting for money they can very helpful so you can afford arts books or whatever. That said, characters have additional skill trees locked behind them. You will know the sidequest results in a new skill tree if the quest giver will only talk to a specific character. The earliest this happens though is Eryth Sea so dont worry youve missed any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Barudak posted:

Talk to all green dots on your map, once at noon and once at midnight. This will build your affinity tree and by linking together theyll give you sidequests. Have you exhausted all the side quests in an area but aren't at 5 star affinity? Go and talk to all the green dots again and theyll probably have new things and new affinities since you did all their sidequesting which means more quests.

You don't need to do all sidequests, but early on when you are hurting for money they can very helpful so you can afford arts books or whatever. That said, characters have additional skill trees locked behind them. You will know the sidequest results in a new skill tree if the quest giver will only talk to a specific character. The earliest this happens though is Eryth Sea so dont worry youve missed any.

How much should I worry about permanently missable content? I am just finishing up Tales of Vesperia and I have bad memories.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Logical1234 posted:

I mostly came here to say that Rex’s stupid Salvager’s Code is the best thing ever ,especially when he it quotes it to the more dramatic characters.

The guy is such a dude, I can’t help but find him endearing.

He doesn’t want to kill Malos, Salvagers Code says he gets to beat Malos up and take him out for a beer or whatever

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ogmius815 posted:

How much should I worry about permanently missable content? I am just finishing up Tales of Vesperia and I have bad memories.

Everything that can be missed has a gigantic clock next to it in the quest log. You'll know. And it takes a good long time to invalidate a lot of it.

In other news the music in the mechonis field is great. First time since the leg I've really noticed the music honestly

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ogmius815 posted:

The Tales games are absolutely notorious for that nonsense. I’ve never played one without closely following a guide.

You’ll know if a side quest is missable when it has a clock icon next to it. Sometimes this means that there are two mutually exclusive quests where you can only complete one. Most of the time it means progressing the story past a certain point will cause it to expire. There are really only two big ones to worry about and the game makes it VERY OBVIOUS that you are about to cause a bunch of quests to expire.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I just made it to the Fallen Arm and watched Riki's and Dundun's conversation and god loving dammit what a terrible downgrade Tora was.

He is literally worse in every single aspect. While Riki looks cute and cuddly, Tora looks like an overgrown mutated furby. Riki is funny whereas Tora is both cringy and creepy af. Riki interacts with the party whereas Tora is just there.

If any Monolithsoft developer ever stumbles across this post while working on XB3 please do everything you did with Riki and nothing of what you did with Tora for the obligatory Nopon party member.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Anyone wanna teach me how to get at least an A on the Restricted Time Attacks "The Walls Have Eyes" (Dunban/Reyn/Sharla at Level 30) and "Shaggy-dog Story" (Riki/Sharla/Shulk at level 35)? I'm too dumb for them I guess. I somehow managed an S on the Level 40 one (Oh, Brother!) but no matter what I try for the two I mentioned I just can't put out enough damage. Not only limiting you to a specific level but also to specific arts on your skill bar sure is some major rear end. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong honestly. I try to use Arts and Talent Arts as much as possible, I chain attack whenever I can but all the Arts these guys have on their bars don't really work well for chain attacks (thanks Sharla). It's really driving me kinda nuts.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am still playing XBC2, and just realized that the AI is simply very bad at using evasion tanks. A boss fight that I died like five times on went down in one shot when I took over as my tank.

(I played as them earlier but found it boring, and the AI is pretty decent at healing so I assumed the issue was on my end somewhere)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

abraxas posted:

Anyone wanna teach me how to get at least an A on the Restricted Time Attacks "The Walls Have Eyes" (Dunban/Reyn/Sharla at Level 30) and "Shaggy-dog Story" (Riki/Sharla/Shulk at level 35)? I'm too dumb for them I guess. I somehow managed an S on the Level 40 one (Oh, Brother!) but no matter what I try for the two I mentioned I just can't put out enough damage. Not only limiting you to a specific level but also to specific arts on your skill bar sure is some major rear end. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong honestly. I try to use Arts and Talent Arts as much as possible, I chain attack whenever I can but all the Arts these guys have on their bars don't really work well for chain attacks (thanks Sharla). It's really driving me kinda nuts.

I don't remember what I did for the Walls Have Eyes one, but the Shaggy-dog Story was major balls and took me a lot of tries. Ultimately, I tried to finish the 1st wave as fast as possible going for the Orluga first, then for the 2nd wave I rushed into the middle of the group and used Riki's sleep attack, prayed for Sharla to wake me up, prayed for Sharla not to start attacking any of the slept monsters and if both those criterias were met I'd use a chain attack on the little guy first to burn him down fast, then focus on the wolf, and finish the last dino with another chain attack (if available) or focused it down.

Pants Donkey posted:

I am still playing XBC2, and just realized that the AI is simply very bad at using evasion tanks. A boss fight that I died like five times on went down in one shot when I took over as my tank.

(I played as them earlier but found it boring, and the AI is pretty decent at healing so I assumed the issue was on my end somewhere)

Yep the AI is terrible at dodge tanking since it facerolls arts on cooldown instead of saving the evasion one for big attacks. On my first run I ended up wiping vs Patrokas and Mikhail because Morag decides to just stand on the fire DoT if you let the AI control her, which was a pretty lame showcase for her introductory fight.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 11, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Quests that expire never have permanent features behind them. So even if you decide to let all your quests expire and then in chapter 16 go ooooooh fuuuuuck you are still fine.

Basically: this isnt Tails of Vesperia, king of unmarked, multipart, timed sidequests.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

None of the missable quests reward you with anything that unique. The good stuff like extra skill trees isn't missable, and equipment, including the best gear, is dropped by enemies frequently. There are hundreds of quests, so don't feel obligated to do them all unless you enjoy them.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't remember what I did for the Walls Have Eyes one, but the Shaggy-dog Story was major balls and took me a lot of tries. Ultimately, I tried to finish the 1st wave as fast as possible going for the Orluga first, then for the 2nd wave I rushed into the middle of the group and used Riki's sleep attack, prayed for Sharla to wake me up, prayed for Sharla not to start attacking any of the slept monsters and if both those criterias were met I'd use a chain attack on the little guy first to burn him down fast, then focus on the wolf, and finish the last dino with another chain attack (if available) or focused it down.

Well what d'ya know, the ole "complain about it on the internet" trick worked like a charm. I tried again after posting and somehow S-ranked both of them? The Walls Have Eyes needed WAY more toppling than I was doing, and then Shaggy-dog Story just kind of worked out magically in some way, no idea what I did differently.

Also I'm still not 100% convinced Dunban knows how to hold aggro. I changed some stuff around so he's only got Peerless and so on but sometimes he just won't take aggro from Shulk. I stood there for like 30 seconds only auto attacking and dude can't get aggro back no matter how hard he tried. Maybe more Aggro Up gems instead of all the Agility?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WcgjFWH1y0

:eyepop:

abraxas posted:

Also I'm still not 100% convinced Dunban knows how to hold aggro. I changed some stuff around so he's only got Peerless and so on but sometimes he just won't take aggro from Shulk. I stood there for like 30 seconds only auto attacking and dude can't get aggro back no matter how hard he tried. Maybe more Aggro Up gems instead of all the Agility?

You sure it's aggro problem and not just the AI being stupid? Even Reyn loses aggro to Shulk whenever I'm not controlling him

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what the gently caress is going on with the drop rate of these hode planks

I will never finish this loving bridge

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

I had the same problem. The Orlugas that sometimes accompany the Hodes seem to have a higher drop rate than the Hodes themselves.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

I just traded for all eight of them (5 for the quest and 3 for reconstruction) from Lupa on 5F of Frontier Village.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, I don't know how I managed to cope with the initial tiny amount of Overdrive Protocols in Xenoblade 2. There's a decent number now with the DLC (I think 14 total if you include the 4 you can get in-game), but originally it sucked rear end because you'd end up with blades stuck on the wrong dudes and you could only move 4 of them. This time around I've decided to not use any cores after getting enough people to fill Rex/Nia's rosters, since I'll be wanting to spread them around all the non-Rex characters due to Rex's master driver stuff. I conveniently got that one DLC blade that is apparently the most common unique blade (T-elos) on Rex, which works really well since I stopped playing before that DLC came out and have never used her. Also got lucky with Nia, since the first (and only so far) rare blade she got was Boreas. I'll still probably never get KOS-MOS or Zenobia. Got literally every pre-DLC blade but those two when I first played.

The one kind of soul-crushing aspect of the core stuff is how unique drop rates are higher when you have few, which essentially means that if you don't get something you're aiming for in your first ~10 unique blades you're pretty much hosed and probably not going to until you get to end-game farming or something.

I remember on my original playthrough I actually wasted one overdrive protocol on a non-unique blade. I think I decided to move the one I got from the example core because I didn't realize at that point that Overdrive Protocols would be so rare.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenoblade Chapter 16: How does this games plot keep getting worse? Im honestly impressed

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

abraxas posted:

Well what d'ya know, the ole "complain about it on the internet" trick worked like a charm. I tried again after posting and somehow S-ranked both of them? The Walls Have Eyes needed WAY more toppling than I was doing, and then Shaggy-dog Story just kind of worked out magically in some way, no idea what I did differently.

If you’re over level 40, Dunban should be fine with like... 2 agility gems. Remember Agility from gems caps at +50. I made sure to give him two good double attack gems on his weapon, and filled leftover slots with stuff like STR up to just make him a damage powerhouse and I rarely have aggro issues.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Barudak posted:

Xenoblade Chapter 16: How does this games plot keep getting worse? Im honestly impressed

Just wait until he ending :laugh:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Logical1234 posted:

I mostly came here to say that Rex’s stupid Salvager’s Code is the best thing ever ,especially when he it quotes it to the more dramatic characters.

The guy is such a dude, I can’t help but find him endearing.

Rex is a cool kid, and yet I wanted to punch him when Nia confesses to him, because come on, man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started on Xenoblade X a few days ago, this is a much slower paced game than Xenoblade 1 & 2, and Tatsu isn't an interesting or good character despite being a nopon. That said, I love the gigantic open world much more compared to the other Xenoblade games. The whole thing feels like an MMORPG, especially since you are always connected to the internet, you get messages of what other players are doing, and you can recruit A.I. versions of other players into your party. This game appears to have a cult following as well as people are still actually playing it online. It'll suck when all of this eventually shuts down (Nintendo started slowly sunsetting online features for the Wii U about a year ago) because quite a few features of XBX will no longer be available.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
This is a pretty good and comprehensive guide on how to set up and use the various characters in XC1; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1703WqY7OwKu1kCdm2IRbYaVwXC3x8aXqIlo2J-eboeg/edit

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I hope they bring XCX to the Switch too.

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is a pretty good and comprehensive guide on how to set up and use the various characters in XC1; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1703WqY7OwKu1kCdm2IRbYaVwXC3x8aXqIlo2J-eboeg/edit

Thanks for this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Takoluka posted:

Rex is a cool kid, and yet I wanted to punch him when Nia confesses to him, because come on, man.

I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

He is literally worse in every single aspect. While Riki looks cute and cuddly, Tora looks like an overgrown mutated furby. Riki is funny whereas Tora is both cringy and creepy af.

There is one H2H at least where this seems to be acknowledged. Pyra and Brighid dunk on Tora for being a creep.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I said come in! posted:

Started on Xenoblade X a few days ago, this is a much slower paced game than Xenoblade 1 & 2, and Tatsu isn't an interesting or good character despite being a nopon. That said, I love the gigantic open world much more compared to the other Xenoblade games. The whole thing feels like an MMORPG, especially since you are always connected to the internet, you get messages of what other players are doing, and you can recruit A.I. versions of other players into your party. This game appears to have a cult following as well as people are still actually playing it online. It'll suck when all of this eventually shuts down (Nintendo started slowly sunsetting online features for the Wii U about a year ago) because quite a few features of XBX will no longer be available.

I like the online feature of being able to pop on and help other folks out by doing Squad Tasks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

v1ld posted:

I hope they bring XCX to the Switch too.

Monolith Software has talked about this and it sounds like they have decided not to. Citing that it would be a very difficult and expensive game to port, the entire the UI would have be redesigned, and entirely new online servers and code created to support the Switch version. I would love to see this game on the Switch, it didn't get the fanbase and sales it deserved. I had bought it at launch and it was my first Xenoblade game I finished, but its been so long that i've forgotten a lot of it, and finishing the other two xenoblade games made me desperate to have a Wii U again so I can play this title a 2nd time. I'm going into it having forgotten most of what I played, so it feels like a pretty new experience all over again.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Logical1234 posted:

I was waiting the whole game for Gramps to say "Salvager's Code #7: Love and justice will always prevail!" and have Rex complain about how corny it is. Rex is a pretty blatant Lloyd Irving-esque shounen protagonist.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Realistically they should just make their next main project XBX2. The first was a deeply flawed gem, I'd much rather they work out of the kinks in a direct or spiritual sequel rather than spend alot of effort releasing a game which famously shits it pants halfway through

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I was waiting the whole game for Gramps to say "Salvager's Code #7: Love and justice will always prevail!" and have Rex complain about how corny it is. Rex is a pretty blatant Lloyd Irving-esque shounen protagonist.

Rex is very much a shounen protagonist with a strong sense of justice, but come on, don't put him on Lloyd's level. The strongest character development for him comes way too late, though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You're absolutely right, Rex is like a million times better than Lloyd. He just doesn't know how to yell very well.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

chumbler posted:

Rex is very much a shounen protagonist with a strong sense of justice, but come on, don't put him on Lloyd's level.

He's not as dumb, but he's basically the same character archetype. Hell, I'd say a good chunk of Xenoblade 2's story feels like a Tales game.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Barudak posted:

Need to talk to them at least twice, almost every NPC has two things to say, and sometimes the second has an affinity change of its own.

Ogmius815 posted:

To elaborate a bit more on what others have said, you can basically skip any quests given to you by a generic NPC, or any quest with an equally generic name like 'Materials Quest 3' and whatnot. Doing the quests will net you some affinity, but the amount is typically small so you shouldn't worry about it. I will note that those sorts of quests auto-complete once you finish them, so you can just snag them and do/skip them at your own pace.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Tales games are absolutely notorious for that nonsense. I’ve never played one without closely following a guide.

They were notorious for that. Vesperia was the last one to be terrible with missing out on stuff because you aren't following a guide. Graces F and every game since then have basically no missable content.

multijoe posted:

Realistically they should just make their next main project XBX2. The first was a deeply flawed gem, I'd much rather they work out of the kinks in a direct or spiritual sequel rather than spend alot of effort releasing a game which famously shits it pants halfway through

:agreed:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

XCX has a cool class system, I like the sidequests and aliens a lot too. The ability to fight enormous monsters in the skells is also decent. If you can take that stuff and make a better game then I'd be all for it honestly.
Don't port the original over though, it's really something that needs an enormous do over and not just a remaster like this.

In other news gently caress enemies with spike. I wish purge lasted longer. I know I can make gems to deal with it but god drat it's such a faff. It's annoying that the one ability made to deal with the thing is just so short duration.
Also it's a pain that the monado arts are basically impossible to use at a glance. I always have to scroll through and work out which is which.

Personally I wouldn't recommend skipping any quests. The material ones and kill ones are super easy now it marks on the map where to go and you're missing out on loads of money and occasionally XP.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 11, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Taear posted:

In other news gently caress enemies with spike. I wish purge lasted longer. I know I can make gems to deal with it but god drat it's such a faff. It's annoying that the one ability made to deal with the thing is just so short duration.

Dunban has a skill on his trees that reduces Spike damage by 20%, but it's expensive to link.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Dunban has a skill on his trees that reduces Spike damage by 20%, but it's expensive to link.

It's not great anyway. Most spike damage even later on is only say 600, so dropping that by 120 doesn't help enough. You've really got to get it gone altogether either by the gem route or purge.
Such an irritating mechanic. I don't care about any other type of spike, it's only damage shields that suck. Annoyingly it's super weak if you're using spike damage yourself since enemies don't cap out at 9999hp like your characters do

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

CaptainPsyko posted:

This guide has a lot of useful information but it would be a lot better if it didn't try and make a lot of dumb and confusing inside jokes that the sort of people who actually need to read a guide like this won't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWmSWwpTqLc