Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/jpitney/status/1270878369832251392
https://mobile.twitter.com/jpitney/status/1270878371258327040
https://mobile.twitter.com/jpitney/status/1270890672938078208
https://mobile.twitter.com/jpitney/status/1270891401895571456
https://mobile.twitter.com/jpitney/status/1270914058116452352
https://mobile.twitter.com/jpitney/status/1270914495204831232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how much they are quietly praying for Trump to get the Coronavirus.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ImpAtom posted:

god I hope he sticks around, the Never Trump crowd would bend over backwards to kiss Pence's rear end the second he managed to string a complete sentence together

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Huh, the 2016 platform is more relevant now than it was then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

oh i am sure they are hoping he croaks or gets shot or some poo poo because they can just play the martyr card and then have pence do whatever.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Eh. But this is just convention. Not his ego rallies

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1270896464965894151

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

punishedkissinger posted:

Look, a lot of people joined on in order to pay for college by killing brown people you CANT judge them for that

I blame the system that made them so desperate as to join the military to escape poverty but if you wanna go all ~personal responsibility~ then, well, I guess I'd recommend reading Behave to learn why that's not really A Thing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1270853931380420612

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Munkeymon posted:

I blame the system that made them so desperate as to join the military to escape poverty but if you wanna go all ~personal responsibility~ then, well, I guess I'd recommend reading Behave to learn why that's not really A Thing.
I honestly agree, I just don't get why people were insisting they would stick to some standard of human decency when that's expressly what youre surrendering when you join the war on terror

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Seattle's mayor

https://mobile.twitter.com/MayorJenny/status/1270928501164568576

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
When my parents first starting dating in the 70's, there were certain neighborhoods they couldn't go together without risking my father getting assaulted. Southie, Eastie... any neighborhood that ended with an "ie" basically. On the other hand, my mom was totally safe by herself or with my dad in places like Roxbury. Go figure.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When you start losing Cernovich...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1270935729149894656

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

How, after 3 1/2 years, does he still not have the slightest understanding of federalism?

I mean, I know the answer. He’s dumber than dirt. But still.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ah...we had a 4 year civil war with dozens of massive pitched battles in which this happened.

You can even watch it in movie form if you like. My favorite scenes are the 20th Maine charg from Gettysburg and the angle mowing down rebels in the same film later on.

Don't bother with Gods and Generals though, it's a love letter to Jackson and the Confederacy

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

This is phenomenal <3

There are definitely some Very Italian Americans losing their absolute poo poo out on Long Island and in Jersey right now :laffo:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Something my gf and I were talking about yesterday: the cops could have easily dodged all of this.

When they saw that such huge numbers of people were coming out and demonstrating against police brutality, they could have just backed off. Just be on good behavior for a couple weeks, and put out some half-assed statements about how they're making changes internally. It would have just kicked the can down the road, but I feel like this never would have gotten so huge if they'd kept cool and let it blow over.

But no, they couldn't even do that. They had to simultaneously go full fash and whine about how they're the victim. They couldn't fake being reasonable for even a little while and now this may end up being their undoing. Even if this doesn't end in any significant changes in American policing, it'll be pretty accepted that there are a lot more eyes on them, and a much less sympathetic public.

Or at least that's what I've been telling myself so I can get to sleep at night...

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sounds like the cops trying to invoke "Didn't do nothing"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

good. she sucks but at least she isnt begging the fucker to send in the army. trump desperatly looking for his Tienanmen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Capn Jobe posted:

Something my gf and I were talking about yesterday: the cops could have easily dodged all of this.

When they saw that such huge numbers of people were coming out and demonstrating against police brutality, they could have just backed off. Just be on good behavior for a couple weeks, and put out some half-assed statements about how they're making changes internally. It would have just kicked the can down the road, but I feel like this never would have gotten so huge if they'd kept cool and let it blow over.

But no, they couldn't even do that. They had to simultaneously go full fash and whine about how they're the victim. They couldn't fake being reasonable for even a little while and now this may end up being their undoing. Even if this doesn't end in any significant changes in American policing, it'll be pretty accepted that there are a lot more eyes on them, and a much less sympathetic public.

Or at least that's what I've been telling myself so I can get to sleep at night...

in several cities including mine they did exactly this, and it's bought them... not goodwill, exactly, but a reduction in rage

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

You can even watch it in movie form if you like. My favorite scenes are the 20th Maine charg from Gettysburg and the angle mowing down rebels in the same film later on.

Don't bother with Gods and Generals though, it's a love letter to Jackson and the Confederacy

boy to i have a MV for you than. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88x_rmeLPO4

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/675/im-on-tv is a good episode about Live PD and how they manipulate police to make ""better"" TV. gently caress everyone involved in that poo poo and super gently caress everyone involved in covering up evidence of that Texas man's death (sorry - bad with names).

punishedkissinger posted:

I honestly agree, I just don't get why people were insisting they would stick to some standard of human decency when that's expressly what youre surrendering when you join the war on terror

Well, look at it this way: guardsmen aren't pickled in the occupier mindset that regular cops and active duty Iraq/Afghan veterans are. Sure they'll follow orders well enough to be part of a kettle maneuver but they probably aren't as enthusiastic about violating basic human rights as the regulars. Less bad means fewer stitches, bruises, cuts, broken bones and smaller chance of outright murder, not none of the above. Like "less lethal" means it'll kill you less reliably than bullets but motivated users can still kill like whoever shot that young man in Austin :smith:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

When you start losing Cernovich...
Hasn't he been in the same boat as Ann Coulter for a while, i.e. repeatedly criticizing Trump for not being fascist enough?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah the alt right is pissed that trump is basicaly a giant waffling coward to who cock teases them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Quorum posted:

:bisonyes:

The Midnight Neighborhood Beautification Squad strike again!

e: the last tweet is true-- it is a huge deal, less because folks love Jeff Davis (even the Confederates aren't huge fans of him, since he got blamed for a lot of stuff as part of laundering Glorious Blameless Honorable Southern Generals for Lost Causey purposes) and more because the Monument Avenue statues are so much more prominent, more indelibly part of the city in people's imaginations, even people who hate them. That's why they were put up to begin with, to make it clear that they were never going anywhere.

I might, might be up for having a Davis statue if it shows him trying to slink away dressed as a woman

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This has the air of capitulation about it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BonoMan posted:

Since then The Stennis Flag was introduced and is gaining ground. For the record I live in Jackson and don't see the confederate flag anywhere (other than on the state flag of course... oof) but see the Stennis flag everywhere.

Of course travel out to the rural areas and that changes, but I think the prevailing shame of the Confederate flag is spreading finally here and we'll get that flag changed within 5 years.

edit: https://declaremississippi.com/

Not that big on the Stennis flag...reminds me of the official national flag of the Confederacy

Just covered the Virginia battle flag portion with a bar and moved the starts center

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah the alt right is pissed that trump is basicaly a giant waffling coward to who cock teases them.

Yeah. I'm all for criticism of Trump, but when it comes from a "why the gently caress aren't you brutalizing our enemies" stance...well gently caress that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Yeah. I'm all for criticism of Trump, but when it comes from a "why the gently caress aren't you brutalizing our enemies" stance...well gently caress that.

some of the alt right have ditched him a year or two ago for various reasons. but the alt light dipshits have stuck by him.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Reminds me of going to a reenactment when I was younger. I took part with the 10th Michigan Volunteers, the historical unit had been part of Sherman's march through Georgia, so we were singing Marching Through Georgia and a confederate group felt the need to try and shout the Bonnie Blue Flag over us.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SocketWrench posted:

Not that big on the Stennis flag...reminds me of the official national flag of the Confederacy

Just covered the Virginia battle flag portion with a bar and moved the starts center

I think that's, uh, quite a bit of a stretch. The only similarity is a red bar.

I mean the stars and bars are removed and there is a circle of stars circling a big star and you essentially just compressed all of that into "move the stars to the center" like they just moved the stars and bars to the center. That's pretty disingenuous.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 11, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

FWIW this is authentic Lakota drumsong except usually they'd have a bigass drum that goes WOMP WOMP WOMP womp WOMP womp WOMP womp WOMP and rattles you to your very bones. Except that's not very protest-portable.

Plains Indian drumsong combines haunting high-pitched vocal chanting with hard fast drumbeats and it rules.

edit: which is to say these are the real fuckin' deal AIM'd out (as they say on the rez) skins celebrating Columbus eating poo poo

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 11, 2020

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BonoMan posted:

I think that's, uh, quite a bit of a stretch. The only similarity is a red bar.

I mean the stars and bars are removed and there is a circle of stars circling a big star and you essentially just compressed all of that into "move the stars to the center" like they just moved the stars and bars to the center. That's pretty disingenuous.

Of like all the designs you could do though. And that's what they came up with

I mean even the desription of it boasts that it's an inverted Bonnie Blue Flag and the red stripes are to represent the blood spilt my Mississippians.....I mean it's not straight up "I'm a confederate banner", but it still seems to just kinda eek by, in my opinion

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 11, 2020

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Excellent work, now let's all do our part to do the same for all the statues of him everywhere.

I really think you should legally be allowed to keep the head in these kind of situations. They've earned that head.
Protesters get a little head... as a treat...
:dadjoke:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SocketWrench posted:

Of like all the designs you could do though. And that's what they came up with

Literally the only similarity is a red bar though. I mean flags share lots of common elements. This has a red bar on either side. That one has one. That's not really that close and there are no other similarities beside that one bar.

edit: or hell who knows maybe it was intentional? I don't actually know how she started the design process.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 11, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, but everyone's plan (media, police, NG) was to just ignore it and let it fall apart on its own from internal drama, and he is loving that up. People are now suddenly wondering what the gently caress is going on up there and dattempting to make decisions on it, since Trump is that polarizing

just because the military is currently unwilling to shoot protesters doesn't mean miller or barr won't dredge up some lovely branch of fed leos and/or ice or cbp who would be entirely willing. it's a lot more alarming that 'haha trump dumb'

A big flaming stink posted:

he's absolutely just rage tweeting about something he saw on tucker carlson

Trump thinks that the tiananment square massacre was an appropriate response to popular protests, people should be considering the possibility in a real way.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

drat, we were so close to completely wiping out the cultural memory and living embodiments of America's original inhabitants.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BonoMan posted:

Literally the only similarity is a red bar though. I mean flags share lots of common elements. This has a red bar on either side. That one has one. That's not really that close and there are no other similarities beside that one bar.

Red bar, white field. It's half the banner

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Quorum posted:

And maybe a few of them will decide they quite like the sound of truth, justice, freedom, reasonably priced love, and a hard boiled egg.

:honk:

Make that three hard boiled eggs.

sorry, I had to - I’m a Marxist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Change MS's flag to a smiling portrait of Grant and Sherman IMO.