Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'll be interested to see what kind of answers people come up with for this one. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Imma assume Eric is responsible, because... honestly, I'd say he and Mira are a matched pair but they really are not.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Eric seems like it's the correct answer in theory, but wrong answer practically, because if you told the guy holding the shotgun that he killed the other person, wouldn't he kill you too?
How about... No One? She died of... natural causes? Or maybe even Lack of Air? I know there's a word describing that term but i don't remember it.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Capitalism

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Also,

Myself
Gab
God

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Are we sure that Mira didn't kill herself in an act of suicide? We know that Radical-6 is involved with this game somehow, but it hasn't made an appearance yet. Granted, strangling yourself is not a very efficient means of suicide, but where there's a will there's a way....

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Chris

Distract Eric with another flashback and run away.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The truth, we Don't know

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fumbles posted:

Okay there's definitely something fucky going on with Q-Team, this is the second time it's asked for a specific name (the first was trying to put "Zero" in as an answer for who killed someone else I think?) as a choice puzzle- but I don't think we have any actual names we could put in here besides the obvious of trying to say it was Zero himself who did the killing.

Carlos got a similar choice for who killed Junpei, didn't he?
Yup:

It's just how the game does those things, even if there's only a couple of answers that actually do anything.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 8, 2020

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

...Yeah no Eric is still the worst. Jesus christ, Q-Team is hosed up. Also he probably killed her

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Junpei posted:

Remember what I said a while back, about how I didn't get why people hated Eric more than Mira? I didn't mean to imply that I didn't hate Eric, because... goddamn, dude. You need to take, like, 40 chill pills.

I think the reason people here in the audience hate Eric more than Mira is because Mira is shown to be a straight-up literal psychopath, with no ability to really understand emotions or empathy to begin with. The results are horrific, but it's kind of just the natural state of how she is. If Zero locked you into an escape room with a hungry crocodile or something, would you be mad at Zero or the croc?

Eric though, is allegedly a more normal person, with more normal expectations of morality. This hosed up death game might throw standard morality out the window, but it does still seem like more of a betrayal for him to so easily zoom from zero to child murder in like 2 seconds.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
God, this was about the scene where I decided Eric was just the worst character when I went through.

The Dog Did It.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Yeah, Eric clearly isn't a saint. He's displayed violent tendencies multiple times in this room alone. Having had a really lovely childhood might explain it, but it's no excuse.

As for the killer, it's obviously Gab. You've all seen how he moves, he's clearly a killer robot under Zero's control.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bifauxnen posted:

I think the reason people here in the audience hate Eric more than Mira is because Mira is shown to be a straight-up literal psychopath, with no ability to really understand emotions or empathy to begin with. The results are horrific, but it's kind of just the natural state of how she is. If Zero locked you into an escape room with a hungry crocodile or something, would you be mad at Zero or the croc?

Eric though, is allegedly a more normal person, with more normal expectations of morality. This hosed up death game might throw standard morality out the window, but it does still seem like more of a betrayal for him to so easily zoom from zero to child murder in like 2 seconds.

Also, we've gone through two of these before, and while Alice could be a bit of an rear end, outside of the "Obvious Betrayers" in those games, nobody was really just a hateable person. Eric is not a murderer betrayer like Mira, he's just a horrible person.

Like his glee at getting the Shotgun is just... what the gently caress, man.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Voting for Eric because it's an obvious answer and interested in seeing where accusing Eric of unknowingly killing Mira goes. I mean, obviously it's not going to go well for Q, but might give us an interesting Game Over given that Eric is now trapped in the ward forever thanks to his own insanity.

Eeepies posted:

Eric seems like it's the correct answer in theory, but wrong answer practically, because if you told the guy holding the shotgun that he killed the other person, wouldn't he kill you too?
Same goes for Zero, I think. In a big picture sense, it's likely that Zero is the one that trapped Mira in the pod and left her to die, but it's not going to satisfy crazed shotgun Eric. In a way, the "fill in the answer" seems like how the Carlos axe decision only had a couple viable choices - an implicit part of the question is "will this matter to the person who's about to murder me".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I know there are a fair few unique responses for this prompt, which is absolutely brilliant. But come on. We all know who's ultimately responsible for everything that's happening here.

Throw the snail under the bus.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Let’s make this full Zero Escape and the truth: I donno

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just now starting to read this LP and I'm really looking forward to seeing where you go with it. I've never been much of a visual novel person but I played 999 when it was released on PS4 and was blown away. I ended up marathoning the entire series until I had all three platinum trophies. Really loving great games.

My one problem with Zero Time Dilemma was the fact that it has full cutscenes rather than the text + static pictures like the first two games. It's definitely a slicker presentation but it makes it impossible to fast forward through text should you ever need to. Not a dealbreaker, though.

I'd definitely recommend that people read through the LPs of the first two games before reading this one. This is one of those series where experiencing the story in order is super important. An even better idea would be to play the games yourself if you can. I played through all three on the PS4, and they tend to be super cheap. The PS4 versions of the first two games (999 and Virtue's Last Reward) are sold together as one package called The Nonary Games.

I'll be a lurker during this LP (to avoid even the appearance of hinting at spoilers) but I'm definitely reading it.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

I'm thinking honesty might be the best policy here, personally. We have no answer.

(Alternately, the Funyarinpa did it. :tinfoil: )

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I've begun to like Eric. A lot.

Sure, he's an annoying rear end in a top hat, treats Q more than terribly, has a profoundly unhealthy relationship with Mira, blames others for his failings, is probably the least intelligent character and is not made out for puzzles, but there's something so earnest about him and his asshattery that I enjoy his character.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

...! posted:

My one problem with Zero Time Dilemma was the fact that it has full cutscenes rather than the text + static pictures like the first two games. It's definitely a slicker presentation but it makes it impossible to fast forward through text should you ever need to. Not a dealbreaker, though.

You can fast forward through the cutscenes though. Was it just not fast enough for you?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

wologar posted:

I've begun to like Eric. A lot.

Sure, he's an annoying rear end in a top hat, treats Q more than terribly, has a profoundly unhealthy relationship with Mira, blames others for his failings, is probably the least intelligent character and is not made out for puzzles, but there's something so earnest about him and his asshattery that I enjoy his character.

Maybe this is the true purpose of the game, all this pain and suffering set up over multiple timelines, trying over and over again, until finally the destined day arrives when Zero could reach out into the morphogenetic field and find one person on the internet who starts to like Eric.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I should be able to include the top few answers, plus a couple others, and get us to an ending. Will try and have the update out tonight.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 31: Eric's Rage

I suppose Eric deserves an answer here. Even if we have to kind of make something up.

Leading response was to just blame Zero. Really, none of us would be here otherwise, so it makes sense, right?

I guess that's true, in an overall sort of way.

And the shotgun is fired. The music starts up here, too - the scene was silent up until now.

Music: Sacrificial Demise (Demise 2nd Mix)

Oh well. Better luck next time!

Pretty good ending title. Let's try again.

Maybe we should just confess?

Shotgun fired. Game over. Hmm.

Given Eric's penchant for violence, this answer seems most likely to be true.

I...killed Mira...?

Bang. Dead again.

I know, let's blame the dog!

Uh huh... And how'd he do that?

*bang*

Yeah, I didn't really think that'd work.

Carlos killed Akane, seems reasonable he might've gotten to Mira, too, right?

Hey now, someone was running around Ward D earlier, it totally could've happened. No? Ok, what else.

Sigma's pretty suspicious, he probably could have faked his death and made his way over here.

Yeah, you got me there.

Maybe Mira went extra crazy and somehow strangled herself?

By strangling herself...? Don't gently caress with me!

I can't even defend that one.

Maybe bringing up his dead brother will confuse him long enough for us to run away?

This one's the generic response for any input the game doesn't understand, or otherwise doesn't have a line for. Can't really disagree with him, either.

As we've seen, the Study fragment happens when C-Team goes through the "Carlos's Decision" path, and the Pod Room fragment happens when C-Team goes through the "Carlos's Sin" path. How? Well, that's the mystery, I suppose.

As you might've guessed, any name you give Eric results in him shooting us. Though the initial lines that Eric says are usually different. Shall we go back and try not answering? Or go somewhere else entirely? Select the story fragment.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

quote:

Look all we're saying is that we should give the dog a little side-eye, just to be sure. :colbert:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I'm actually impressed with how many different responses they programmed in and had fully voice-acted.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, I donno.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DKII posted:

As we've seen, the Study fragment happens when C-Team goes through the "Carlos's Decision" path, and the Pod Room fragment happens when C-Team goes through the "Carlos's Sin" path. How? Well, that's the mystery, I suppose.
The flowchart here is interesting, in that there's a plot "lock" which doesn't seem to actually lock anything since we could jump straight past it to the start of the Pod Room fragment. Wonder what actually happens in that one intermediate spot, if anything.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

It's probably the secret door. There's probably some way to give the characters knowledge of it that we have, but right now they dont know it exists so it couldnt be clicked on in the last updates.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fumbles posted:

It's probably the secret door. There's probably some way to give the characters knowledge of it that we have, but right now they dont know it exists so it couldnt be clicked on in the last updates.

Secret door
Secret door
Through the deathtrap
Secret secret secret secret dooooooooor

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The primary difference between starting in the Pod and starting in the Study is that Mira is dead when starting in the Pod. Which means Carlos's action of killing Akane directly leads to Mira's death somehow, which I suspect is what that weird plot lock is meant to convey.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 32: I Don't Know

Let's go back to the business end of Eric's shotgun.

We don't know the answer. Eric only asked for the truth. Let's just not answer.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

I don't know... I don't know!

You can also get to this scene by entering "I DONT KNOW" or "DONNO" or other variations thereof.

The crazy eyes are gone.

His finger curls around the trigger, then releases.

gently caress!

Apparently Eric believes us this time, and walks away.

We're still stuck in here, though.

Music: Confession 2nd Mix

Hey...

"Sorry I almost killed you a couple times. And actually killed you a dozen times in that other timeline."

Mira was...everything to me...

Eric's voice is strained and broken during this scene. Like he's about to burst into tears, or just recovered from doing so.

Time for Eric and Mira origin story, from Eric's perspective this time.

A lowly ice cream clerk and a beautiful goddess of a customer. She seemed like a rare flower, forever out of my reach. It made me happy just to see her smile from behind the counter. But I took her order, and we spoke for a bit... Day after day we talked like that... I wanted to be with her. If she needed help, I wanted to be there. I started to feel like I"d, well, I'd do anything for her.

Mira was the one to ask me out the first time. Every date after that I took the initiative. The longer we dated, the more and more I came to like her... I...really loved her.

Somehow, I felt like she was a lot like my mother...

To tell the truth, I don't really remember much about my mother anymore. She died when my brother and I were still pretty small. But she was a good cook, and liked things clean... She was always smiling. And above all, her gentleness and warmth are what I remember the most.

Hm, I guess putting it that way, her and Mira aren't very similar at all...

But still, I felt something in who Mira is. Something that's a lot like her...

Everything just seemed so bright after I met her. I couldn't help but think every day was great. I was going to propose. I scraped together all my money and bought an engagement ring. And then... Then...

Eric's gone from clenched fists to clasped hands.

Why... Why did this have to happen...?

Falling tears.

Hey, Eric... Let's work together to find the killer.

I'm really said Mira died, too... I'll never forgive the person who did it... That's why...

This is...

And fade to black. The fragment's not over, but...

We're stuck behind another lock. Maybe the lock in the Pantry feeds into this one?

Six puzzle rooms down, and we haven't really learned a lot about what's going on yet. But I swear we're getting close! There are eight new fragments left, plus two more executions to witness. So what will it be? Select the story fragment.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Whew, that was heavy. Time to tag back to C-team in the Rec Room for something more light hearted and fun. Perhaps a relaxing game of snakes and ladders.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I agree with going back to C-team, but let's see what's going on in the decontamination room that every group has access to.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I guess we technically just killed Eric again, since now there's no way for them to leave and the food has to run out eventually.

I'm seconding the proposal for C Team to check out the Decontamination Room.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

C-Team in Decontamination it is. Maybe we should knock out all three teams while we're here.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Was wondering when we'd get to this one. Got it recorded already but still have to do the write-up, but I'll shoot for (late) tonight.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 33: First come, first saved: C

I was wondering when we would get around to trying one of these.

Simple fragment here. No puzzle room, either.

Music: Solitary Snail

Well, that was for when there was a nuclear war and the world was contaminated...

Ah, that explains the showerheads.

Just as I thought. This won't open either.

The map shows an elevator hall beyond this door...

If we came down the elevator normally, we'd be able to run into this room immediately, but...

I checked it earlier, but no dice. Locked up tight...

So we're locked in the Decontamination Room in Ward C. But there aren't any puzzles. So why are we here?

Do you think Zero trapped us in here to make us play the Decision Game?

It's pretty obvious at this point...

What is?

18:10...

Oh good, yet another fragment that starts at 18:00. That's seven-for-seven since we got through the Execution fragments, I think.

It's kind of funny how often the characters wake up and have the same conversation.

Fade to black, and now everyone's sitting on the floor. Just going to chill for 90 minutes I guess.

Junpei... I have something I've been wanting to ask you...

Sounds like a good time for some serious :words:

Time to learn why Junpei's been an rear end in a top hat all game.

What about--?

You used to... You'd never have said that a year ago.

Wh... What happened to you, Junpei... What happened while I was gone...

Carlos is all, "I know I'm not part of this conversation, but I also want to hear it."

What's that, Carlos? Does that mean you're interested in me...?

Got no time for a love life.

That's almost the same line that Akane said to Carlos back in the Pantry. "Oh, so a sister complex?" Weird.

And this time Akane gets all offended.

Carlos really is worried about yo--

"Actually you two are real shady and I'm stuck in this crazy death game that you two seem way too familiar with."

Weren't you friends as kids? And last year you were trapped just like this, and escaped together. So why...

That's exactly why.

Missing Lip Animations: 21

I've seen people die. Horrible, cruel deaths I never wanted to see... So many... I'm probably becoming numb.

Music: Ustulate Pathos

Oh man... What made you want to do that?

It was all because of Akane there.

She up and disappeared, so I went to a firm to try to find her.

Saw a coworker I'd just finished eating with pushed off a rooftop the other day.

What kind of detective firm is this?

Never had a by-the-books case where I just had to "prove he cheated". Every job that passed my hands was dirty. And dangerous.

That's when I realized: Humans aren't as beautiful as I thought... I'd only been skimming the surface all this time.

I slept in my bathtub with the shower running. It was the only way I was able to get the scent of blood off me...

I got intel through our network that Akane was joining this experiment...

Music: Morphogenetic Sorrow (Mix 3)

Fade to black, and when we come back, everyone is quiet.

Missing Lip Animations: 22

Aoi, known by the code name of Santa, was another character in 999. We don't find out that he's Akane's (Zero's) accomplice until the very end. Oddly, he doesn't show up in VLR at all. We don't what he's up to at the current time, either.

He's stuck in jail, if he hasn't escaped yet.

Ace was another 999 character. He was the organizer of the first Nonary Game that has child Akane simultaneously killed in an incinerator and saved by connecting to Junpei nine years in the future. One of Akane's primary goals for the second Nonary Game in 999 was revenge on Ace.

Lotus is doing all right. She's working and raising her kids still.

Another 999 character. Lotus was a single mother of two children who were particpants in the first Nonary Game, along with Akane and Aoi. She got kidnapped and forced to participate in the second Nonary Game during the events of 999.

I worked with him once. We destroyed Free the Soul's headquarters.

Seven was a detective from 999. He investigated and rescued the missing children from the first Nonary Game, then ended up as an amnesiac participant in the second Nonary Game.

Free the Soul was a terrorist group that formed the secondary antagonist for VLR. They released the Radical-6 virus that directly and indirectly killed six billion people. The very event we're here in ZTD to prevent. But Junpei and Seven already destroyed their headquarters?

Akane's also part of a secret group working against Free the Soul. Kind of funny she hadn't heard of any of that.

A religious cult.

I don't remember if this information was part of 999 or VLR before, but apparently Free the Soul also funded the first Nonary Game and the person who ran it (Ace) was a member.

My brother and I were trying to track Free the Soul's movements, but...

I came across some info on them while I was working. Seven was the one still on their trail...

But I kind of think we went too far by destroying their headquarters. I'm pretty sure we pissed off their boss. I think his name was "Brother"?

You know anything about it, Akane?

I don't know why this person is calling themselves Zero.

A noise -- some movement?

Missing Lip Animations: 23

From what I can tell, Akane's the victim--!

Akane stands up as well.

Huh?

I infiltrated the experiment to stop that...

I didn't know! I don't know any specifics about all of this!

Odd flaw here - the voiced line is actually "I don't know! I didn't know any...." I think it was actually supposed to match the subtitle, but got read wrong and kept that way for some reason?

But you just said it's to change the future--!

So you accessed the morphogenetic field and...

What are you talking about..

I love how Carlos is just like, wait, that story took a crazy left turn there.

Yeah good luck explaining that one. (Akane did explain it a bit at the end of the Pantry fragment, after getting the antidote.)

But before we can hear more on that topic, it's time for another inconvenient interruption.

A little late perhaps, but I will now announce the voting results.

Music: Zero (Unary Game Remix)

All three groups have voted for different teams. Therefore, none have been executed. The current death count: 0.

Hey, we did it! :toot: We found the timeline that continued from our initial set of execution votes!

I can't say this is an ideal situation for any of us involved. It appears that none of you fully grasp the essence of this game.

Think back on the rules you were told... You will remain in this shelter for eternity until six people are killed.

I will give you one last chance. A single action from you may result in your escape from the depths. What must you do? It's simple. I shall show you.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 3

The other two teams are listening to a message just like this one... In their ward's Decontamination Room...

The construction of all of them are the same. A yellow button exists on the wall in each.

Oh, that thing.

Pressing it activates the showers in the other wards, and they will rain down a solution of hydrogen fluoride.

It's not only acidic enough to melt a body, but it even dissolves glass and iron. Explaining what would happen if you were under it seems unnecessary.

Dissolves glass and iron, but not shower heads or pipes, I guess.

That button on the wall is your way to freedom. Using it will kill the other teams, and you will obtain the needed X-Passes to escape.

I have one final thing to tell you. The early bird gets the worm. After the first team pushes it, the button will become inactive for both of the other teams. Your time limit is three minutes. What will you do? Will you press it? Or refuse?

Ah, poo poo, you know Eric's going to jump right on that button. We're screwed.

It is ultimately all up to you to decide.

Music: Extreme Urgency (What Will You Decide?)

Junpei makes a move for the button, but Akane blocks him.

We need to push the button before the other teams do!

Are you really planning to sacrifice everyone else so you can escape?

Everyone followed the plan during the execution votes. Can they be trusted to stick to keeping everyone alive now?

It's kill or be killed, so we need to make sure to kill them first!

One year... And you've changed so much...

Ah!

Junpei!

I think...Junpei just knocked Akane down?

Maria...

I did not go through everything just to die today!

Ahhhh!

Carlos is breathing heavy, shoulders moving up and down, staring at the button.

No, don't Carlos!

If none of the teams push it, then it has to be like when we voted--!

While you're wishing on a star, we'll end up killed!

Junpei!

Knowing this thread, they'll end up both being right.

Push it, Carlos!

Here comes the heartbeat. You know what that means.

Music: Moral Dilemma (Annihilation 3rd Mix)

We used up most of our three minutes arguing already, just ten seconds left. Get out of here, or keep trusting the other teams? Press the button?

Extras:

Our conversation got us another file, this one on Free the Soul.

We got this file back when we watched Q-Team get executed.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

As much as I want to kill Eric and Mira yet again, I'd much rather have D-Team make it out of this. Don't push the button just to spite Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everyone presses their button at the same time, everyone melts to death, mutual destruction :black101: