Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Groke posted:

In the before times, you got IA by adding provinces to the HRE. Doing it yourself meant conquering and coring those provinces first (and of course each new HRE province had to be adjacent to an existing one). Sometimes you could see other nations adding provinces for you (if they had eligible land and were at good relations with you).

Now, you don't get IA for that. Instead you get IA whenever a new nation joins the HRE. And you get (minimum?) 10 IA a pop, even for OPMs. Attack someone who borders the HRE, take land from them, release as many HRE-bordering vassals as you can from that land and they will join every single time, and you don't have to core the provinces first either. There are a bunch of dead tags that have cores on provinces held by nations in your neighbourhood in 1444 so it's not exactly difficult.

Also it seems minor nations are quite eager to join the HRE of their own volition, too. 10 IA a pop for those as well.

in my current sloppy Austria run the main limiting factor in getting the reforms passed has been to get enough princes to agree to each reform, rather than getting the necessary 50 IA.

I took Diplomacy as my first idea group, out of habit; ,but that was kind of a waste since I'd revoked the privilegia before getting the first idea. Oh well.

Who are you attacking to release all these vassals? Hungary and I guess Venice?

One of the first missions for Austria is getting a load of Low Countries land. You just have to no CB attack one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

appropriatemetaphor posted:

One of the first missions for Austria is getting a load of Low Countries land. You just have to no CB attack one of them?

inherit Burgundy

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Why as Papal State am I getting notifications that my truce has ended with... Papal State?

Spiderman_pointing_at_spiderman_but_with_mitres_on.jpg

There's also something funky with trust going on, I've been losing trust with allies left and right but wasn't dishonoring calls to arms, didn't promise land without giving any...

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 10, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

1. Yes, obviously Venice; Hungary if you don't luck out and get a free PU. Then Poland, Lithuania, and points east. And/or France (quite easy if, for instance, you ally Castile and they rival France).

2. Not really; you can get it via the Burgundian Inheritance for example. Or after you revoke, of course; having that clay owned by vassals also counts.

Another big change which makes all this easier is that the 3rd reform gives you a free CB on any non-member who borders the HRE. Yeah, you don't have to border them yourself.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
There's also some bugginess with the shadow kingdom event that sometimes causes nations to leave and rejoin multiple times in a very short time span, netting you 10 IA every time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The devs always talk about running hands-off games to see how likely certain outcomes are. Did they just, uh, skip that for HRE changes? It's pretty bad without Emperor too.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the new interaction to introduce an heir when you have none, gives everyone you have a royal marriage with a PU cb on you

Oh my, that's gonna make loads of more PUs in total during the game. Thanks!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The AI HRE enacting ewiger landfriede and ending internal wars by like 1530 kinda sucks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has anyone else noticed that expand empire often just does nothing? i use the casus belli, and then the victory demand but they dont join the hre

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I’m 30 years into a France game, should I flip Protestant as soon as it spawns and go about force converting in the HRE to gently caress with Austria? Unified Germany before age of absolutism doesn’t sound fun.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Ignorant Hick posted:

I’m 30 years into a France game, should I flip Protestant as soon as it spawns and go about force converting in the HRE to gently caress with Austria? Unified Germany before age of absolutism doesn’t sound fun.

I started France game too. In the first year the Pope has excommunicated me, so I've restrained the appeal and now there's little doubt I'll reform ASAP.

Do you really want to get deep into HRE early? People there are hard to diplovassalize. I wonder if just humiliating Austria is enough to stop the HRE progress.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Getting immediately excommunicated as France isn't a new patch thing. You're allied to and have the same dynasty as Provence, who occupies the same state as one of the Pope's thanks to Avignon. The Pope hates you by default and it's a shotgun blast as to whether he excommunicates you, Provence, or both.

(Provence is also sitting on your cores but will never ever vassalize because you have theirs, so just break the alliance and kill them asap)

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I started France game too. In the first year the Pope has excommunicated me, so I've restrained the appeal and now there's little doubt I'll reform ASAP.

Do you really want to get deep into HRE early? People there are hard to diplovassalize. I wonder if just humiliating Austria is enough to stop the HRE progress.

You don’t need to take land or vassalize to do forced conversion. If the IA is building as fast as I’ve read here then the only thing I can think to do is force as much HRE land Protestant as I can and help the Reformation along so it can do some damage.

I’ve already humiliated Austria once this game. If that does hurt their authority I’ll have to make some round trips to Vienna. I’ll check when I get off work.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, IA is super broken right now. Was just messing around with the new missions and stuff and revoked in like <80 years on VH.

I'm sure there is some sort of vassal release fuckery you can do to revoke by 1450 or something.

Edit: New shadow kingdom is definitely a downgrade. The AE hell was a fun minigame. Also stupid how it doesn't tell you who supports/opposes revoking (unless I missed it somewhere)

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 11, 2020

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
How do I assign crownlands in this? Started the game and there's a malus going on.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Countries are way too willing to join the HRE now, so much so that everyone who gets the boot due to the Shadow Kingdom incident immediately rejoins.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

How do I assign crownlands in this? Started the game and there's a malus going on.

either dev one province to go to 30+ or go into the estates tab and click the "yoink land back" button

heres a video thats longer than it needs to be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEYr9Bl73wo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sephyr posted:

Estates don't own specific provinces anymore, just an abstracted percentage.

That said it feels a bit weird that conquering land doesn't seem to meaningfully increase the share of crownland. You probably wouldn't ever get all of it, but you'd think conquering land would give you some to sell. As it is I don't know why you'd ever press that button, barring imminent bankruptcy.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 11, 2020

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

Countries are way too willing to join the HRE now, so much so that everyone who gets the boot due to the Shadow Kingdom incident immediately rejoins.

Is there anything that impacts the decision? Relations, legitimacy, prestige, royal marriages, etc?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Lmao Burgundian inheritance fired and they took the Hapsburg prince option. They annexed their PU nations and got PUed by Austria. The game is telling me to wait for the balance patch and I'm gonna listen.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Ignorant Hick posted:

Lmao Burgundian inheritance fired and they took the Hapsburg prince option. They annexed their PU nations and got PUed by Austria. The game is telling me to wait for the balance patch and I'm gonna listen.

This is actually working as designed. Most of the "positive" outcomes of the Inheritance for Burgundy itself involve them instantly annexing the PUs.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just got the shadow kingdom event thing, how do you "rein in" anyone? I guess i've reined in the people i've allied with?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

inherit Burgundy

do you need a royal marriage for that? because they won't allow it.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 11, 2020

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Shawon Dunston posted:

This is actually working as designed. Most of the "positive" outcomes of the Inheritance for Burgundy itself involve them instantly annexing the PUs.

Oh yeah I didn't think it was a bug. But between that and seeing every nation I wanted to war with join the HRE pushed me over the edge to stop investing in this save and wait for the patch. Really enjoyed the taste I got of the new estate system, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is my first time playing since they added missions and I must I quite do not like them. At all. Do I have some sort of brain worms and/or bad opinions? I just feel like between the new Estate mechanics and missions the game is way more fiddly than it used to be. I feel like I have to spend too much time looking at menus and screens and moving my mouse around trying to figure out what each of my zillion options are and I cant just play the game and have fun.

Ignorant Hick posted:

Really enjoyed the taste I got of the new estate system, though.
Would you be able to elaborate on estates at all? I'm really struggling with them. I dont know if its a UI or just simple lack of familiarity but I'm hating it right now.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Just got the shadow kingdom event thing, how do you "rein in" anyone? I guess i've reined in the people i've allied with?

Some Italians (at least the Papacy) get an event to just join the HRE or not when the Shadow Kingdom fires, so that's one way. Presumably the other option(s) are the pre-expansion ones: vassalization, personal unions, or annexation. There's no real indication that allying or high relations is sufficient, though from experience states do need high relations with the emperor to click the 'join HRE' button on the interface, though that is separate from the event they get.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the new estates are in this weird zone where I feel like conceptually I'll eventually like them more; the monarch point concessions are explicitly more valuable than the old ones and you don't have to have the estates at 100 influence for 200 mana, the new diet thing actually feels pretty fun, but overall man does it feel fiddly as hell atm

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sheep posted:

Some Italians (at least the Papacy) get an event to just join the HRE or not when the Shadow Kingdom fires, so that's one way. Presumably the other option(s) are the pre-expansion ones: vassalization, personal unions, or annexation. There's no real indication that allying or high relations is sufficient, though from experience states do need high relations with the emperor to click the 'join HRE' button on the interface, though that is separate from the event they get.

Allying seems to work. However, as i tanked my diplo points to -5 it turns out loving Mantua refuses to ally because i allied all their rivals...And now they're all breaking alliances.

Can't really attack any of them since I've got no borders. Can no CB but seems extreme.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is my first time playing since they added missions and I must I quite do not like them. At all. Do I have some sort of brain worms and/or bad opinions? I just feel like between the new Estate mechanics and missions the game is way more fiddly than it used to be. I feel like I have to spend too much time looking at menus and screens and moving my mouse around trying to figure out what each of my zillion options are and I cant just play the game and have fun.

Would you be able to elaborate on estates at all? I'm really struggling with them. I dont know if its a UI or just simple lack of familiarity but I'm hating it right now.

Well if you don't like analyzing all of the new options then its not a change for you. The big thing is that you can squeeze so much money out of estate actions that you can avoid ever taking real loans. I never went below 10 percent crown land so maybe there's a harsher penalty there, but the lighter penalties from having low crown land aren't that bad. I wasn't smashing the buttons as soon as the cooldown was off, but with some conquering and development I made thousands of ducats from using the sell land option then seizing it back. For privileges, I prioritized getting the ones that boosted your monarch point generation and the Indebted to the Burghers privilege gives virtually no interest loans. The other options are gonna be specific to your start, for instance I left my nobility alone as they start with high influence and their special vassal privilege that you need to revoke as part of your mission tree. I had picked France as my first game mainly for the estate system. I thought it was really neat to have to wait for the right time to wrestle their power away. Looking through all the options there's a lot of potential for interesting ways to get as much out of the estates as you can while being careful not to give them too much influence.

If you don't want to deal with any of that I'd just get your crown land up past 30 percent and use the Call Diet action whenever you can. Its a more dynamic version of the old mission system so maybe that appeals to you.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
apparently re:rein it's either +150 relations or taking the peace deal of rein in after a war

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Estates don't own specific provinces anymore, just an abstracted percentage.

That said it feels a bit weird that conquering land doesn't seem to meaningfully increase the share of crownland. You probably wouldn't ever get all of it, but you'd think conquering land would give you some to sell. As it is I don't know why you'd ever press that button, barring imminent bankruptcy.

Because you can get a lot of interest-free cash to kickstart your early game, and it's pretty easy to stay at a stable point above 30. After a certain point you'll be wanting to never give up any crown land but in the early game it doesn't matter too much.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 11, 2020

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

apparently re:rein it's either +150 relations or taking the peace deal of rein in after a war

Unless they patched something in the past 12 hours or so there isn't any 'rein in' peace deal. You just need to take any winning peace option against them.

Allying seems to work. However, as i tanked my diplo points to -5 it turns out loving Mantua refuses to ally because i allied all their rivals...And now they're all breaking alliances.

Can't really attack any of them since I've got no borders. Can no CB but seems extreme.

See if they have any allies you can declare on and attack them and then separate peace out Mantua to get them reined in.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I would also really like a noob guide to revoke the privileges before 1500 as Austria. I never managed to get such a game going, I am very bad at HREing despite almost 1200 hours of gameplay

I also love these moments when stuff is so broken you can do crazy things, like when you could make a new world custom nation with Siberian frontier for no cost and gobble up the entirety of America in 100 years

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Give nobility the free rein so they can call a Diet whenever they want. Then, give either nobility or clergy the interaction that gives you +1 monarch point. After this, slam the diet and revoke land buttons on cooldown, and just use whichever interactions you want. I tend to use the +10 loyalty, -absolutism interactions since age of absolutism is so far out. By 1480 i had like 60% crownland and all my estates were still happy with me.

Finish the diets as soon as you can so they can call a new one.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the new estates are in this weird zone where I feel like conceptually I'll eventually like them more; the monarch point concessions are explicitly more valuable than the old ones and you don't have to have the estates at 100 influence for 200 mana, the new diet thing actually feels pretty fun, but overall man does it feel fiddly as hell atm

I like the idea of all these estate policies but I'm not sure it makes sense to have them all unlocked at game start.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Just, well, ignore them. Look at them as AI crutches and additional events. They're often quite powerful, of course, but default mission set is more or less about expanding and doing what makes sense. It's more complicated with special missions but most of the time those are not big deal.

And by the way Diet is mission system that I always wanted. It's dynamic but is tied into internal politics. UI is bad at telling you what estate policies you can enable. So here's the deal:
- Estate influence defines the bonus they give. You want it to be high. But not too high. If it reaches 100 you get coup'd.
- If the influence is above 70 you get nasty events that give you a choice between empowering estates further or getting into trouble.
- You only get bonus when the loyalty is above 30.
- You get maluses when your crown land is below 30, I think?..
- You can get back crown land from time to time but it drops the loyalty by 20. If it drops below 30 you can get rebels, not sure if you can predict where they happen.
- Diet is cool. At worst if you can't do the mission you'll get -5 loyalty, no big deal. And sometimes nobles want you to conquer something nice and give bonuses.

About estate rights:
- The ones not costing you crown land are basically free before absolutism.
- Those that cost you crown land are fine as long as you are above 30 or can immediately get 5 back.
- Monopolies give you mercantilism and lump sum. In 10 years you can renew the deal and get the money again. You probably lose money in the process but 100 gold now is much better than 150 gold in 10 years. Plus it makes the estate happy.
- Early on estates are the biggest source of government capacity if you're big. Use it.

This is all based on 60 years of playing with France so don't read too much into it. Maybe I'm getting some things wrong.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

New estates are pretty cool, imo, and they nicely solve the problem the old estates had where once your army got big enough to kill the rebel stacks from new conquests, there was zero reason to give estates more territory as you expanded. I think it's just going to take a little while to figure out what the optimum way to have them set up is.

Dunno if anyone mentioned it here yet but Zealandia has a really good idea set (bonus republican tradition, +1 colonist, extra settlement growth, 0% unrest from heretic/heathen provinces, diplo rep and an extra diplo slot, and some production & combat bonuses). Starting as a spice islands country, colonising and releasing Australia, and then forming Malaya with all of Indonesia in trade companies was a fun strat in 1.29, and now you can do that with an even stronger idea set. It's funny that they took the colonist out of Ternate & Tidore's ideas for 'balance' and have now added colonists to Australia and NZ.

New Zealand and the Pacific islands are also now in a 'Polynesian triangle' trade node. I can't remember everywhere it feeds into and out of, but the Philippines flows into it and it can flow out into Australia or Nippon, so now East Asia can gain a lot more from colonising the Philippines, which is pretty cool.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got quick-and-dirty advice for what bonuses I should be getting out of the estates system? Seems like the monarch points are the main thing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think estate good monopolies are great. You get lump sum you can immediately use on mercenaries and stuff. You won't have to irritate the estate by revoking it, it will expire by itself.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 11, 2020

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I think estate good monopolies are great. You get lump sum you can immediately use on mercenaries and stuff. You won't have to irritate the estate by revoking it, it will expire by itself.

You still need to manually revoke the privilege once the 10 years expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey does the Burgundian inheritance fire every time now or is it still a chance that it never fires?