Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I might try it again, Ultimate uses Requiem for base difficulty stuff and I was able to clear that mine next to Riverwood after consoling in the money to get basic armor (instead of grinding flute mo eu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I tried requiem back in the day. I started right outside of Helgen, with Live Another Life.

I saw a bandit and attacked. He killed me in one hit.
I reloaded and tried again. I dodged more, but had to bring up my shield to block an attack. He killed me in one blocked hit.
I read the files a bit and saw the game expected me to level on beasts for a bit. I started fighting mudcrabs West of Whiterun to see how that went. I died in one hit.

This was a long rear end time ago, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the experience. Maybe there was something funky going on, but it was basically unplayable.

lol, try getting good. or are you just a filthy casual? :jerkbag:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I've never once seen a realism mod that sounded like it'd be enough fun to download.

I also hate playing New Vegas in the realism mode, though.

I just really hate chores.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I tried requiem back in the day. I started right outside of Helgen, with Live Another Life.

I saw a bandit and attacked. He killed me in one hit.
I reloaded and tried again. I dodged more, but had to bring up my shield to block an attack. He killed me in one blocked hit.
I read the files a bit and saw the game expected me to level on beasts for a bit. I started fighting mudcrabs West of Whiterun to see how that went. I died in one hit.

This was a long rear end time ago, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the experience. Maybe there was something funky going on, but it was basically unplayable.

I think my experience was taking one single hit from the first creature (wolf) I encountered and having my bow break.

Uninstalled.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Imagine enjoying poop socking Skyrim

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But does it make the towns close their gates at night like in Morrowind Rebirth? Does it make grand soul gems finite and takes them out of the loot table?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

But does it make the towns close their gates at night like in Morrowind Rebirth? Does it make grand soul gems finite and takes them out of the loot table?

:wtc:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morrowind Rebirth is horrible.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

reminder that Rebirth removed the hair shirt of st alabrol from the game entirely, making the temple questline impossible to complete, because as a unique award artefact it was a bit unbalanced and therefore should be destroyed

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Morrowind Rebirth is horrible.

:lmao:

None of the Elder Scroll games are difficult, and trying to make them Dark Souls or whatever is just missing the point

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Randaconda posted:

:lmao:

None of the Elder Scroll games are difficult, and trying to make them Dark Souls or whatever is just missing the point

I think most modders never understood that the problem with Skyrim's melee combat isn't that it's piss easy, it's that it's completely weightless, simple and lovely feeling, like you're hitting people with a brush.
That's what it needs to take from Dark Souls to be fun, not the difficulty. Build a satisfying combat engine and you have the base for a good dungeon crawl or adventure.

None of the popular combat mods I ever tried address this (still, I do get that there might be a lot of hardcoded engine stuff in the way).

Maybe it's just me, but I believe people end up playing a stealth archer over a melee dude or a wizard in part because it's OP, but mostly because between the ragdoll physics and the hit sound it's just a lot more satisfying. Knocking some poor bandit of the Valtheim Towers bridge with an arrow to the dome is one of the best feelings in Skyrim.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
All you need to make Skyrim combat feel good is just frame perfect defense. Turn the first couple of milliseconds of blocking or warding into a 100% block with a good counter stagger effect. Highly lethal combat where you can avoid all damage is far more preferable than unavoidable damage attrition battles.

tktk1's Ultimate Combat is what I use

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17196

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Timed blocks are dumb and don't make sense. Parries I'll grant.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
What's the difference? I guess if you're talking about mods that make your regular block degrade to nothing after a second I agree.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In some mods, blocking an attack within the first x seconds gives you a timed block and huge block bonus for that attack. Shields don't really work that way and as a concept I don't like it. Shields don't become less effective the longer someone's been holding it up. Stamina loss, sure, but a block is a block. Skyrim blocks are piss weak anyways, but I don't think timing is the solution.

A timed parry makes more sense as you can use the momentum of your weapon to throw the opponent's out of the way.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
But that's what I assume timed blocking is representing? It's slightly more more forgiving than a dedicated parry button, since too early will be a regular block, but it's a mechanic I'm pretty used to from fighting games.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I mean parry in the concept of a weapon parry, where timing makes sense, and blocking in the concept of a shield, where it doesn't. If I'm holding up a 3 foot block of steel and wood, it shouldn't matter how well timed it was - it should just eat the attack. I'd actually vote the inverse - the longer I'm blocking, the more stable and defensive I can get.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
All Skyrim combat needs is this mod applied to weapon swings etc

https://twitter.com/MeganBitchell/status/1270597636039606272

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I reinstalled Skyrim yesterday :negative:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Randaconda posted:

I reinstalled Skyrim yesterday :negative:

If only smilies worked in thread titles, this would about work

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shady Amish Terror posted:

If only smilies worked in thread titles, this would about work

:hmmyes:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
My dirty secret is that I quite like the survival mode from the SE. It adds just that tiny bit more hassle that makes me engaged for a bit longer. You can still bend the system over your knee, but climbing the 7000 steps is legitimately a challenge if you aren't prepared. Like you fall into some freezing water and it's all drat, maybe jumping into a river covered in ice isn't the best long term strategy for success.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The existential despair of reinstalling Skyrim.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

nine-gear crow posted:

I am hoping to soon finally replace my decade-old system, and I am dreading this exact moment acutely

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I am hoping to soon finally replace my decade-old system, and I am dreading this exact moment acutely

I own SE because it was free to everyone with LE at a certain point, but don't own a computer that can run it. I vaguely dread the day I'm forced to upgrade.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This reminded my that my current computer could probably run SE like a dream. :ohdear:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nine-gear crow posted:

Good thread title right here.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Skwirl posted:

I will say Ultimate Skyrim made me curious about Requiem, just balls harder dungeons and no level scaling sounds interesting.

Anyone have experience using that without all the other layers of crap that's in Ultimate?
My Skyrim base is Requiem plus survival mods.

Pros:
- Keeps the threat constant even into the high levels;
- Good de-leveled placement;
- A bajillion little things;
- Active community with decent tech/patch support via discord, and the current mod curator is responsive to his players;
- Basically makes me work smart to achieve my juvenile power fantasy.

Cons:
- Installations are a loving pain (sometimes!) that can require the equivalent of 6 credit hours in CS degree to achieve (or you might get lucky!);
- Development over the past couple years has strayed from content to loving around with the physics & mass system (yes the combat is better, but I'd rather have had content);
- If it gets its hooks in you, you won't be able to play any other way.

Requiem has been encapsulated as saying it makes progress feel significant. While this is true, I think I like it most because it comes close to what would happen if a tubby goon was dumped into Skyrim. Want to wear heavy armor? I expect to waddle around out of breath for awhile until I get my poo poo together. I can cast maybe two spells before OOM, and an iron arrow plunging into my unarmored chest will in fact likely kill me. No, a wolf is not going to suicidally attack me, it's going to run away the first time I hit it with a sword and if I'm not an accomplished swordsman I'm unlikely to be able to stop it getting away. And if I'm dumb enough to attack three wolves at once at level 1, I am almost certainly going to die, just like I would if I wandered out of my office right now and attacked 3 wolves in the parking lot. And if I wear a full suit of armor doing that, I am more likely to survive than if were wearing my bathrobe. It's a challenge, one that can be overcome (and cheesed a plenty), but it's the only reason I still play Skyrim. It's an acquired taste though.

physeter fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 11, 2020

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, what would be the easiest way to exclude specific dragons from being affected by Ultimate Dragons? The boss dragons in Darkend seem incredibly hard compared to everything else in it and I think its due to Ultimate Dragons. Alternatively, what could I use to try to reduce their health and damage to something higher then normal dragons but not able to one shot people who get there without much issue?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In the past week or so I have learned that installing Skyrim and modding the hell out of it, followed by promising yourself that you'll play all of it and really get the most out of it this time... is a fantastic procrastination catalyst that will have you screaming through the rest of your backlog in nothing flat.

I just played through not one but all three storylines of the three newest Mortal Kombat games over the past week, for example.

Thanks, Shitler.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 12, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Somebody's made a fully rebuilt version of Khajiit Speak!

It's very new, so there aren't any compatibility patches available yet, but they're being worked on.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah I modded the hell out of the game and managed to get to a solid lvl 27 before ennui set in and I nuked the install before I wasted another day playing it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Looks like The Forgotten City mod is getting a stand alone thing on Steam

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Weird,I guess it works as a stand alone thing, but unless they made it way bigger since the last time I played it, it's no where near as big in scope as something like Enderal and its easy to just leave in your load order and ignore it on the playthroughs you don't want to deal with it.

Edit: Also there's already a game on Steam called The Forgotten City

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Skwirl posted:

Weird,I guess it works as a stand alone thing, but unless they made it way bigger since the last time I played it, it's no where near as big in scope as something like Enderal and its easy to just leave in your load order and ignore it on the playthroughs you don't want to deal with it.

Edit: Also there's already a game on Steam called The Forgotten City

Yeah the listing on Steam is for the standalone adaptation of the mod.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope they remove the creepy side-bit with the gay guy and the homophobe.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Looks like Forgotten City 2.0 is not a straight 1:1 port like Enderal is. New version is a "re-imagining" set in Ancient Rome.

I supose most of the plot beats will be similar

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there any mod out there that's the female equivalent of SkySight? I love Skysight because it keeps the spirit of the original textures but makes them good, the faces aren't overly pale or shiny which is a problem a lot of face replacers have, and it doesn't require you to have some body mod already installed. I can't find any female ones with those criteria

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It's missing Battlespire and Redguard between Daggerfall and Morrowind.

And to be fair, Morrowind and Oblivion have had all-in-one re-releases so the Legendary Edition shouldn't be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How hard is it to fix a 'form 43 plugin' error? I understand it requires downloading the modding tools or... something, but I don't even know where to begin with that.