Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

As a matter of etiquette as a customer you aren't even supposed to leave a tip if you're being served by the owner.

What if it's pooled and shared with BOH lol yeh right nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

As a matter of etiquette as a customer you aren't even supposed to leave a tip if you're being served by the owner.

The last place I worked, the owner would very regularly take tables for a couple hours in the afternoon in between shifts on mondays or whatever so we didn't have to have someone sitting around for potentially no tables. He'd be the only one out front, I (not ownership in any way, but the head chef) would be the only one in the back, and 100% of all the tips that came from those tables either went to the BOH tip pool or the general 'Owner buys a bottle of something for the staff to drink from for free after shifts' fund. He's a good dude.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I know it's extremely bad for business, but it's been nice not having customers sitting around here all the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Asparagus Urine posted:

I know it's extremely bad for business, but it's been nice not having customers sitting around here all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSS8tiy9Y3U

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Naelyan posted:

The last place I worked, the owner would very regularly take tables for a couple hours in the afternoon in between shifts on mondays or whatever so we didn't have to have someone sitting around for potentially no tables. He'd be the only one out front, I (not ownership in any way, but the head chef) would be the only one in the back, and 100% of all the tips that came from those tables either went to the BOH tip pool or the general 'Owner buys a bottle of something for the staff to drink from for free after shifts' fund. He's a good dude.

It's only come up for me at bars and I still tip, because I just can't not tip , but I also only know they're owners because I've been going there a while and I know they pass that money on to other staff. I just brought it up as an example of why owners should never be touching tips. A restaurant owners business is selling food and drink and if they can't make money off the food and drink they sell they aren't running a successful business.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Resting Lich Face posted:

The only thing I ever use cash for these days is tipping deliveries.

Or at restaurants. I try to have cash for that, same thing with a bar.

Orvin posted:

Something about using a company that is hemorrhaging money, skirting established laws, and hurting restaurants seems like a bad idea when I have the option not too.

This is part of it, yeah. I have a friend that drives for Doordash, and I appreciate him. But I still just find the two of em iffy-ish.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 8, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
In the William Gibson books he talks about cash being outlawed in a lot of places, reading this I realize it probably happened because of owners not being able to steal tips.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stringent posted:

In the William Gibson books he talks about cash being outlawed in a lot of places, reading this I realize it probably happened because of owners not being able to steal tips.

In william gibson's world, it's probably because cash is much less traceable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is apparently a restaurant here that won't give a menu and only accepts orders from your phone. Even sit down.

NSA is branching out.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
it’s either that or one-use disposable menus

wait they won’t even take orders lol

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
A local sandwich shop has a takeout window but you have to stand there and call the guy on the other side of the screen window on the phone to place an order

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

MA is only allowing outdoor dining right now, and today around town I saw a few places rapidly and furiously constructing outdoor picnic tables

No word from my place still about reopening, and honestly that's fine by me because the second wave is going to eat a lot of people and places alive - but the deathly silence is kind of concerning, I fully expect to be laid off as much as I expect a sudden call to go back to work

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Black August posted:

MA is only allowing outdoor dining right now, and today around town I saw a few places rapidly and furiously constructing outdoor picnic tables

No word from my place still about reopening, and honestly that's fine by me because the second wave is going to eat a lot of people and places alive - but the deathly silence is kind of concerning, I fully expect to be laid off as much as I expect a sudden call to go back to work

My buddy in Boston says they’re going live Friday and he can’t get any deliveries until tomorrow.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think my workplace is playing it extremely cautious with our satellite spot, and they're going to wait it out and see how bad the second wave is during the summer before they commit money to the supplies needed for a reopening. Or they're just going to shut it down altogether. Coin toss!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Place across from my apartment in Acton, MA looked packed tonight when I got home at 8:20pm.

They already had a decent patio setup.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Black August posted:

The area I used to work in has a bunch of restaurants all huddled along one corner. The owner of the building also owns the parking lot behind, and they roped off some parking spots, set up a nice canopied area, with festive patio lights, and socially distanced 4-top tables. It's a shared space for 4-5 restaurants, and I thought that was pretty nice. It's allowed two of the more sit-down places to re-open (one of which was the one I was hoping to get into, but they're delaying). You're still getting your stuff to-go here in VA, no tableside service, but at least you can re-create the feeling of "going out" to eat with a few friends.

There's also an indie theater in that block, and they're selling popcorn and other concession snacks from 5-7pm so you can get that movie popcorn while you watch your Netflix. (And they changed their marquee for a day for a wedding proposal. It really is such a nice neighborhood. :kimchi:)

And, uh, I don't know who's responsible for that sale on my Bandcamp that prominently features the number 69, but I'm gonna take a wild stab and assume it's goon/s. And if it was someone from here: holy poo poo, thank you. Thanks to everyone who's kicked in, y'all are the best. <3

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 10, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Welp, 3 hometown staple restaurants just announced they're not opening back up later. RIP corona virus.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
As a dog owner with an upcoming road trip, I am thrilled about all the new dog friendly outdoor dining options.

My original plan for eating out was get takeout, and tailgate in the restaurant parking lot.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Printed 1500 disposable menus tonight for a local pub that is re-opening tomorrow. They already had some tents set up in their parking lot tonight.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I hope my awesome local pub survives :ohdear:

It's too good to die.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I seriously hope that this crippled re-opening puts some money in people's pockets, but I'm not ready to eat in restaurants yet. I know how bad people are about washing their hands, so I don't want to think about mask compliance in a sweaty kitchen.

Also, some of the outdoor seating I've seen in MA is WAY too close together.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mithross posted:

This is no longer true, at least for doordash. I am not fully versed on the new pay structure, but I do know that the amount of your tip is now listed on the job before the driver decides if they want to take it or not, and that their pay structure theoretically no longer takes tips into account. So be warned this strategy may begin to backfire.

...given the theoretical purpose of a tip, how would you know how much to tip before the service you're tipping for has actually been performed?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like there's at least an outside chance that the place I'm working might close. At least there's going to be a huge shortage of native English speakers. It's not really what I want to be doing but it'll let me maintain my visa.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Because tipping, at least in the US, has almost always been about passing off employment costs directly onto the customer and not about 'incentivizing' good service.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our dining hall management expects to be open and serving students in September. Harvard expert predicts there will be 100,000 more virus deaths in America by then. So I guess it will be okay to open up since we'll all be dead. LOL!

Masks mandatory, plans being developed to keep people distant, but I just don't see it happening.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Animal-Mother posted:

but I just don't see it happening.

no one pushing re-opening gives a poo poo and will continue to not give a poo poo when even a half million ppl die from an infection they could have avoided by not being able to adjust to a safer lifestyle and it’s dumb as hell op

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
All restrictions in our city just got dropped because LOL libertarians. Local hospitals are also refusing to test people who exhibit symptoms unless they're high risk. I know family members of positive cases are being denied tests when they exhibit symptoms. Our county is starting to get its first deaths.

But we had five restaurants close permanently (including the two that were closing anyway, but now the mayor can blame corona), so we have to open up right now! They called the businesses "casualties" and said closing businesses again would be a "death knell" for local commerce. But hospital numbers are stable and people are going out and acting normal, so the virus must be overblown.

E: The owner of the local Pizza Ranch made an impassioned bid for re-opening, even though they never closed as an all-you-can-eat buffet, because his numbers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
All of Florida has decided that the virus is done lol. Just gently caress it, we aren't doing the virus anymore. Full capacity restaurants statewide, everything open. Nobody wears masks out anymore.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

All of Florida has decided that the virus is done lol. Just gently caress it, we aren't doing the virus anymore. Full capacity restaurants statewide, everything open. Nobody wears masks out anymore.

yeah this is also true of iowa as of today and bars in nebraska aren’t following social distancing/half capacity advisements at all and ofc no one are wearing masks

i’d say smtg abt a second wave but the first wave never ended or even slowed down. glad to be working somewhere that’s sticking with curbside

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

No one wears masks in my small Ohio town except for old people and my wife and me. Otherwise it’s like “gently caress it, spring break” everywhere.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

does this change anything about the airport place's prognosis?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My fav wine bar, which closed and filed for bankruptcy when this all kicked off is apparently reopening sometime this summer. Dunno if it will be with the same owners and staff. It would have been a waste letting it stand empty as they had sunk lots of money into fixing it up before this all happened, but I sort of figured the creatives behind it had moved on. I guess we will see.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

does this change anything about the airport place's prognosis?

It will soon probably, flights are steadily increasing. Not quite yet though. When we do open, things are going to be different for sure; doing QR code menus, probably going to bring in UV lamps for overnight sanitation, smaller more focused menu etc.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 13, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jeebus, you ain't kidding Sandwich. My 72 year old father lives in Key West, and just posted this picture on his FB with the note: "We have well and truly been shat upon."

I thought he was pretty safe once the cruise ships stopped coming, especially because it was so easy to enforce a travel quarantine when you've only got one road in/out from the island. They had roadblocks on US 1 so if you didn't have a Monroe County ID/plates --- nope not getting on this rock. But I guess all the filthy tourists are back. Eccch.

W/r/t your other post: how do QR menus work? I barely know how to use 80% of the features on my phone because I'm an old fart Luddite, I'd be absolutely stymied by not having a regular menu in front of my face.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jeebus, you ain't kidding Sandwich. My 72 year old father lives in Key West, and just posted this picture on his FB with the note: "We have well and truly been shat upon."

I thought he was pretty safe once the cruise ships stopped coming, especially because it was so easy to enforce a travel quarantine when you've only got one road in/out from the island. They had roadblocks on US 1 so if you didn't have a Monroe County ID/plates --- nope not getting on this rock. But I guess all the filthy tourists are back. Eccch.

W/r/t your other post: how do QR menus work? I barely know how to use 80% of the features on my phone because I'm an old fart Luddite, I'd be absolutely stymied by not having a regular menu in front of my face.

You set up a QR barcode for them to scan on their phone with an app, and it downloads an image to their phone or send them to a website of the menu. Figure we'll put the code on the table.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Sounds a far sight better than what most places around me are doing, which is making filthy cheap menus they can toss after one use.

Though most are printing through my shop so I am not going to complain too loudly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We bought a couple packs of that press on laminate and did just the front side of the menu so we can just wipe down the whole menu book between uses. Works reasonably well.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
We did both, we printed off cheap disposable menus and also put a laminated sheet on each table with a QR code for a menu. With our customer base having an average age of 60something this has been a good compromise.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Maybe it's because I'm an old feeb, but QR menus sound like they'd be a nightmare for FOH and BOH both.

"Here's your apps, enjoy!"
"I DIDN'T ORDER THESE POTATO SKINS, I ORDERED JALAPENO POPPERS!"
"Oh, sorry sir, but your order here shows ---"
"WELL I CLICKED THE WRONG THING! MAKE IT RIGHT!"
[tips like poo poo because of something the server had no control over]

or:
FOH: "Can y'all make this order again? They asked for no onions, but didn't put it in the app."
BOH: [ready to stab everyone with a dull knife]

I mean, we got this kind of poo poo all the time in the last place I worked in the Before Times, with DoorDash. This sounds like a fresh new hell I want nothing to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I assumed the menu is digital but ordering is still not.