Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JFC Express. They published a story yesterday concerning the turmoil in the show as, at the conclusion of Series 12 (Jodie's second series), Steven Moffat is resigning as show runner from the show.

https://twitter.com/graemeallan/status/1270683770920763392?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, The Highlanders is the one where the Doctor goes from being interrogated to convincing his interrogator to willingly let the Doctor knock him out by slamming his head against a wall or something, right? :allears:

Yes! While pretending to be German! It basically goes:
Doctor: "ah, I can tell you have problems with your eyes."
Clerk: "No I don't"
Doctor: "That's why you get headaches!"
Clerk: "I don't have a headache"
Doctor: *bangs clerk's head against a desk* "Yes you do! Now just lie down blindfolded for an hour to make it go away."

It's important to note this is immediately following on from the Doctor having fleeced the main villain and stuffed him inside a closet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

JFC Express. They published a story yesterday concerning the turmoil in the show as, at the conclusion of Series 12 (Jodie's second series), Steven Moffat is resigning as show runner from the show.

I choose to believe that they rang Moffat and asked if it was true he was not going to be running the show next season, he said,"......yes? :confused:" and they hung up and excitedly wrote down their scoop :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I choose to believe that they rang Moffat and asked if it was true he was not going to be running the show next season, he said,"......yes? :confused:" and they hung up and excitedly wrote down their scoop :allears:

I really hope Jodie doesn't go with him, she deserves someone to run the show that won't screw it up :(

I also don't want to listen to idiots blaming Twelve for the series being terrible but I suppose that's inevitable. The worst conversation about Who I ever had was a checkout guy at Target saying he didn't like the new series because there's just something about Twelve :sigh:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I really hope Jodie doesn't go with him, she deserves someone to run the show that won't screw it up :(

In case this isn't sarcasm and you didn't get the joke, Moffat hasn't been showrunner for a couple seasons now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In case this isn't sarcasm and you didn't get the joke, Moffat hasn't been showrunner for a couple seasons now.

I know what I said

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
seriously though I'm an idiot and can't keep all the names straight around here. let me have my wishful thinking

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Even the updated article is sensationalist bullshit. Like, this part here:

quote:

Season 12 of Doctor Who ended in a dramatic finale back in March, which left fans on a bit of a cliffhanger, worrying if The Doctor (played by Jodie Whittaker) would ever actually return.
Why would anyone who watched the episode be in doubt over whether the Doctor would return? The cliffhanger in the last episode was extremely tame and it literally ended with the words "The Doctor will return in Revolution of the Daleks".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
but wait are there rumours that Chibnall is leaving, and the Heil just got it wrong? Or is it all complete bullshit?

Because if Chibbers left I'd actually start watching again

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Foster posted:

but wait are there rumours that Chibnall is leaving, and the Heil just got it wrong? Or is it all complete bullshit?

Because if Chibbers left I'd actually start watching again

Sadly no, it's because for the last of the Doctor Who global watches Stephen Moffat wrote a short about Bill and Nardole and said it was the last thing he will ever write for Doctor Who. Someone saw that tweet who didn't know what they were reading and ran with it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Sadly no, it's because for the last of the Doctor Who global watches Stephen Moffat wrote a short about Bill and Nardole and said it was the last thing he will ever write for Doctor Who. Someone saw that tweet who didn't know what they were reading and ran with it.

"Nobody else has run with this story yet! I've got a scoop!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Narsham posted:

"Nobody else has run with this story yet! I've got a scoop!"

Calm down, Morecambe and/or Wise.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh. Curses.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daily Mail: Are the rumors true, is Christopher Eccleston leaving Doctor Who!?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Daily Mail: Are the rumors true, is Christopher Eccleston leaving Doctor Who!?!

Daily Mail would add: ‘And is an illegal gypsy immigrant taking his place?!’

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Daily Mail would add: ‘And is an illegal gypsy immigrant taking his place?!’

I mean, an illegalundocumented gypsyRomani immigrantforeign national could be used to describe the Doctor in general.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Meet the Rani’s sister, the Romani!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

*dashes into the room, wearing a hat with a "PRESS" tag stuck in the hatband, and mashes the numbers on the nearest landline phone, speaking excitedly and out of breath*

"Get me the chief! Chief? You won't believe what I just heard...Tom Baker is going to be leaving Doctor Who at the end of his seventh season! ...what? No, I haven't been drinking! Get this to the top of the front page, it's national--no, international news! ...what do you mean, do I know what year it is?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"The show is being canceled! Well no nobody admitted as much, but I have it on good authority that William Hartnell is done in the title role!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

"The show is being canceled! Well no nobody admitted as much, but I have it on good authority that William Hartnell is done in the title role!"

“Get the news out!”

“We can’t. Colin Baker has locked all the doors.”

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CobiWann posted:

“Get the news out!”

“We can’t. Colin Baker has locked all the doors.”

*dials phone again*

"Yeah, chief? I know I was off base about that Tom Baker story, but I just got word that Colin Baker is going to be set for a long and illustrious run as the Sixth Doctor. Figured we could print that as a feel-good...what? Oh Christ, not again!" :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Still plowing through this rewatch. You know, I had my problems with Tennant back in the day and I definitely welcomed his departure, but I’m actually kinda enjoying his Doc now. He’s still too melodramatic and he’s a huge hypocrite when it comes to violence, but his manic energy and enthusiasm is kinda endearing in a childish way. Maybe I’m just getting nostalgic a decade later but I’d really like to see him play off Capaldi and Whitaker in a new multi-Doc story. Or maybe it’s just the generally improved writing in the Donna season, who knows?

- Planet of The Ood is still solid and the Ood themselves have to be one of the better Revival alien designs.
- That Sontaran two-parter is still awful, although the techbro villain is far more believable as a threat in tyool 2020.
- The Doctor’s Daughter has some nice moments but hooo boy that ending. Someone post that “The Man Who Never Would” comic.
- I’d completely forgotten Felicity Jones was in The Unicorn and The Wasp.
- Library two-parter is still great, but I’m not sure a fake beige Heaven with fake kids is an appropriate final resting place for River in retrospect. She’s basically a mortal Doctor, let her run around a whole galaxy doing Doctor things.
- Happy to report the Midnight haters are still wrong. :colbert:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d really like to see him play off Capaldi and Whitaker in a new multi-Doc story.

If they can't get Eccleston back, having Captain Jack join in a Tennant/Smith/Capaldi/Whitaker story would be a nice way of having someone present from every series of the revival.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Library two-parter is still great, but I’m not sure a fake beige Heaven with fake kids is an appropriate final resting place for River in retrospect. She’s basically a mortal Doctor, let her run around a whole galaxy doing Doctor things.

Whichever 11 episode had the astral meeting implies she manages to get out and about still.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

been doing a rewatch with my partner - she watched all of Tennant's episodes when they aired and thought he was great, but she kinda trailed off in Smith's era

She's now convinced that Matt Smith is the superior doctor :smug: It was The Day of the Doctor that really tipped her off. Watching them play off each other emphasised how much more layered Smith's portrayal is in comparison.

We're about halfway through Series 8 now. Now that I know where Capaldi's portrayal goes I'm a lot more inclined towards early 12 this time round. Maybe it's just that I'm older and much more jaded and relate to him more now, but where I first just saw 'bafflingly unrepentant arsehole' now I see 'deeply troubled non-neurotypical individual having a major identity crisis struggling to keep it together'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A good way of framing and crystallising 12’s early character is to recall 11’s final phonecall with Clara. Underneath 12’s harsh exterior, he’s terrified and riddled with self-doubt (“am I a good man?”). If you view him through that lens, a lot of his prickly nature is actually just those emotions venting. Of course, sometimes there’s legitimate anger, he’s the Doctor after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQHC7a9JEQQ

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So I just read (on another forum) that Whizz Kid (the nerd from Greatest Show In The Galaxy) is based on a pre-fame public appearance by Chris Chibnall. Anyone else heard this, or is it just a random bitter rumour from an odd corner of the internet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You could definitely make that argument, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCe3owO7wY

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

A good way of framing and crystallising 12’s early character is to recall 11’s final phonecall with Clara. Underneath 12’s harsh exterior, he’s terrified and riddled with self-doubt (“am I a good man?”). If you view him through that lens, a lot of his prickly nature is actually just those emotions venting. Of course, sometimes there’s legitimate anger, he’s the Doctor after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQHC7a9JEQQ

Yeah, definitely. I think first time round that was lost on me because 11 was a pretty settled dude, all told, so it was like 'where's this all coming from all of a sudden?'

but continuity of personality in regeneration is always weird and inconsistent in Doctor Who

EDIT actually I suppose making peace with your final death and then being given a possibly infinite new lifespan would probably mess you up pretty bad

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 11, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

So I just read (on another forum) that Whizz Kid (the nerd from Greatest Show In The Galaxy) is based on a pre-fame public appearance by Chris Chibnall. Anyone else heard this, or is it just a random bitter rumour from an odd corner of the internet?

I always heard he was meant to be a generic representation of annoying super-fans who were more concerned with meta-framing of the show within its own historical context, as opposed to any one fan in particular.

I do have to say it was nice of Chris Chibnall to note that he was an insufferable little poo poo with his appearance on that television show in the 80s talking poo poo about the Colin Baker run on Doctor Who way back when.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Barry Foster posted:

We're about halfway through Series 8 now. Now that I know where Capaldi's portrayal goes I'm a lot more inclined towards early 12 this time round. Maybe it's just that I'm older and much more jaded and relate to him more now, but where I first just saw 'bafflingly unrepentant arsehole' now I see 'deeply troubled non-neurotypical individual having a major identity crisis struggling to keep it together'.

I felt the same way. While there are some infamous stinkers in Series 8 and other elements/episodes that don't work, I was a lot more positive about it overall when I rewatched it last year. It helps that I'm now viewing it from a point of having properly internalised Capaldi as being the Doctor, rather than just seeing the actor Peter Capaldi who'd very recently finished playing Malcolm Tucker in The Thick Of It. I do think the part of his portrayal in Series 8 that still grates with me is when he's written as being PG Malcolm Tucker in Space.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Series 10 mellowed 12 is so much better.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Voting Floater posted:

I felt the same way. While there are some infamous stinkers in Series 8 and other elements/episodes that don't work, I was a lot more positive about it overall when I rewatched it last year. It helps that I'm now viewing it from a point of having properly internalised Capaldi as being the Doctor, rather than just seeing the actor Peter Capaldi who'd very recently finished playing Malcolm Tucker in The Thick Of It. I do think the part of his portrayal in Series 8 that still grates with me is when he's written as being PG Malcolm Tucker in Space.

Yeah, it's pretty undeniable that that's the way he was written, even with the benefit of hindsight. First time round I literally couldn't see him as anyone other than Malcolm Tucker, and I just couldn't 'see' the Doctor in him anywhere (J-Ru's Mummy on the Orient Express example notwithstanding). And I really really missed Matt Smith, who (to my mind) had perfected what the modern-era Doctor could/should be.

However,

The_Doctor posted:

Series 10 mellowed 12 is so much better.

this is true, and frankly even series 9 12 is a vast improvement. Capaldi's hair is like Frakes' beard.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Happy to report the Midnight haters are still wrong. :colbert:

Who the hell hates Midnight?!? That's my favorite Ten episode!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like the Sontaran two parter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dabir posted:

There are large sections I don't like but the arrival of the Valiant is fantastic.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, what in the hell? I've known people who've chronically missed the point and people who don't like watching it because it's too intense for them, but actually thinking it's bad?!?

The dumbest take I've seen on Midnight (which still concluded that it was a good episode) was a group reaction video where they took a high-and-mighty "we're so much smarter than those idiots" stance while simultaneously going "who would you have killed?" "I'd kill all of them!" "Well, I'd kill all of them EXCEPT Dee-Dee :smug:" Congratulations on proving the episode's point, you utter cretins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

I also dug that 2-parter. I mean, it's very stupid, but in a very engaging and enjoyable way. The Sontarans do a Space-Haka!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 11, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

I vaguely recall there being a large contingent of posters here who weren’t fond of the episode back when it aired. I think their main gripe was that it was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

Especially since we all agree in this thread at all times! :v: