Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It's your funeral mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
When do decisions made by Management cross the line from un-wise to straight up illegal?

If we have to abandon changes made in a DR Test because it "takes too long to fail back", thereby invalidating the whole DR test/plan phase, but then also say "Hay guys DR test successful" to tick an audit box, are we getting into the realm of unethical behavior by management?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wicaeed posted:

When do decisions made by Management cross the line from un-wise to straight up illegal?

If we have to abandon changes made in a DR Test because it "takes too long to fail back", thereby invalidating the whole DR test/plan phase, but then also say "Hay guys DR test successful" to tick an audit box, are we getting into the realm of unethical behavior by management?

I suppose it depends what the audit is for? If you're fudging for SOX/HIPAA then yeah, that's probably illegal. If it's for PCI it's still a real bad idea but I'm not sure if it's actually illegal?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vaguely annoying me: Users constantly asking Service Desk if we have webcams in stock for them to use, when IT's budget is almost entirely dependent on other branches giving us money.

No, we don't have a back room full of unused, new accessories. Stop loving asking.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
90% of those tickets fall silent when you reply "It's charged to your department, please copy with manager approval"

Webcams are nothing. People think we have a closet full of $400 Plantronics headsets.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weedle posted:

GFE is "great food eating" and BBFS is "big bowls of fried shrimp." not as bad as i expected

jesus christ are you trying to get me fired nws that poo poo

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Garrand posted:

I was going to make a joke but after googling now I really want to go to the Bimini Biological Field Station, seems awesome as hell.

To this day, I still regret not pursuing a sysadmin role at one of the Antarctic research stations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wizard of the Deep posted:

To this day, I still regret not pursuing a sysadmin role at one of the Antarctic research stations.

Yup this, I asked my now wife if I could do it, she said it'd be fine if I only did the 12 month (or whatever was around that) but I decided not to do it for whatever stupid reason.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why do I keep seeing XLSX files blown up to 5 MB, because someone somehow managed to extend a sheet to 1048576 rows? How do you accidentally do that just-so?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Because Excel is poo poo.

Ask me about how one of my xlsx has blown up to 350mb...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Steakandchips posted:

Because Excel is poo poo.

Ask me about how one of my xlsx has blown up to 350mb...

:justpost:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It was a rhetorical "ask me", but I'll get into it:

Pasted some comma seperated data, did some v lookups. Stored the results on a seperate tab...

Slow AF to load, calculate, keeps recalculating but never reaches 100%, and just keeps resetting back to 0%.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

dragonshardz posted:

Vaguely annoying me: Users constantly asking Service Desk if we have webcams in stock for them to use, when IT's budget is almost entirely dependent on other branches giving us money.

No, we don't have a back room full of unused, new accessories. Stop loving asking.

One ticket we got asked if helpdesk was going to work with buildings and grounds to have their standing desk and chair moved from their office to their home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wish I had the screenshot of Windows Explorer

Someone in Accounting was dumping all of our incidents from the CRM into a file each month, and running stats and such on them. So the first page was a fancy stats page and the second tab was a million+ rows of data.

Incidents - August.xls
Incidents - September.xls
Incidents - October.xls

And so on.

Each file grew by like 25,000 rows. So the file sizes were like 390MB, 400MB, 410MB, 420MB, 430MB....

The person who did this has 'DATA LOVER AND BI MASTER' on his linkedin profile.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I can't believe I'm writing this but

Couldn't they have used Access for that?

J
Jun 10, 2001

We have a few accountants who are in a forever hellwar with the desktop support guys because of their ridiculous shitheap spreadsheets that crash excel all the time. Oh excel crashes, clearly that means you need a new computer. Oh wait you have a brand new high end computer and excel still crashes? Hmm.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

shoulda stuck with your gut

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

MF_James posted:

Yup this, I asked my now wife if I could do it, she said it'd be fine if I only did the 12 month (or whatever was around that) but I decided not to do it for whatever stupid reason.

When I first got out of law enforcement, I got a job offer from a friend-of-a-friend working contract armed security on cargo vessels.

The pay was kick-rear end. Had I gotten the offer in my single, no kids, student loan debt days, I would have jumped at it.

But my wife said no.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Antigravitas posted:

1. Anything except Excel
2. Learn the native reporting features of CRM
3. Import the stuff to a 'real' database?

They were smart because we already had Excel. Can't buy any new software because that would cost money.

But then you need a new Lenovo workstation laptop to work with these huge files. Which are still slow because it's not the right tool for the job.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Bob Morales posted:

Each file grew by like 25,000 rows. So the file sizes were like 390MB, 400MB, 410MB, 420MB, 430MB....

The person who did this has 'DATA LOVER AND BI MASTER' on his linkedin profile.

Has this place ruined me, or does the phrase 'PowerBi' sound like a sexual thing?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Moo the cow posted:

Has this place ruined me, or does the phrase 'PowerBi' sound like a sexual thing?

With a good enough imagination, anything can be sexual.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Sexualize the code base of WordPress.

edit:
Got me thinking about it's sexy core. The vulnerabilities created by its add-ons. The messy, dirty code from amateur developers. The stickyness of which it clings to the market.

grillster fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 12, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

grillster posted:

Sexualize the code base of WordPress.

edit:
Got me thinking about it's sexy core. The vulnerabilities created by its add-ons. The messy, dirty code from amateur developers. The stickyness of which it clings to the market.

Does that mean the SA codebase is crazy and will murder your pets, but the sex is phenomenal?

Was Radium loving our code?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

nielsm posted:

Why do I keep seeing XLSX files blown up to 5 MB, because someone somehow managed to extend a sheet to 1048576 rows? How do you accidentally do that just-so?

1048576 is the row limit for newer Excel. It usually happens when someone does an operation that applies to an entire column. Can be exaggerated by ctrl-shift-arrow selecting or formula filling.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
P. sure that on SA, code fucks you instead.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Same.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The weirdest gigs I ever had pitched to me was a succession of positions in the Green Zone in occupied Iraq. They kept mentioning Green Zone a lot and that it was totally safe. But they also emphasized hazard bonuses.

I do not regret passing those by.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Proteus Jones posted:

The weirdest gigs I ever had pitched to me was a succession of positions in the Green Zone in occupied Iraq. They kept mentioning Green Zone a lot and that it was totally safe. But they also emphasized hazard bonuses.

You only might get involve in combat, what's the risk? It's like being on-call, something hardly ever happens!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You only might get involve in combat, what's the risk? It's like being on-call, something hardly ever happens!

Until it does, and then the difference between being on call and being in a literal warzone becomes readily apparent :downs:

Nothing beats waking up to the sounds of exploding incoming ordnance :pcgaming:
(in a "oh poo poo I'm gonna get PTSD from this" way)

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Devs built a new feature in our web app. Customer wanted access to the new feature restricted. Sure, no problem, we have a pretty good user access management system and can just add it as a new permiss...

Oh, I see. Its being put in as a "beta" feature, so we have to add an entire department's user list to the beta user pool in order to grant then access to the new feature. Helpdesk can't do that since there's no front-end tool, so any time there's a new hire in the group, or they decide to loosen the restrictions, the already-swamped DBA has to do it.

These loving product managers.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Proteus Jones posted:

I had a friend who took one of those, he made bank, then leveraged the security clearance he got to get a good job when he got back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gunjin posted:

I had a friend who took one of those, he made bank, then leveraged the security clearance he got to get a good job when he got back.

Its not worth dying over.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I turned down interviewing for Paul Allens person IT person. A friend of mine took it though. Now he just works directly for vulcan in vip IT service tho lol

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Developer continues to insist the gaping security hole that becomes present when a client side resource is disabled is the fault of the rainbow unicorn behind my pillow.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

grillster posted:

Developer continues to insist the gaping security hole that becomes present when a client side resource is disabled is the fault of the rainbow unicorn behind my pillow.
You mean the gaping security hole that's always present. Saying it like it's ever actually secure if it depends on a client-controlled resource just gives the idiot more credit than they deserve in the eyes of anyone who doesn't understand the issue.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

It absolutely depends on a client-side resource or it fails hot.

I've pointed this out but it fell on deaf ears to "why would anyone disable the client resource?"

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you but my initial language didn't quite reflect that--you're right it's a gigantic hole the entire time. Developer doesn't seem to see the issue at all. It either "works and is fine" or it "doesn't work because someone broke it intentionally."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have you tried framing it in terms of what a determined hacker (who doesn't play by the rules) would be able to exfiltrate/destroy/exploit?

Edit: On the other hand, if you have developers who cannot even fathom accessing a service/application with any tools other than the official full-featured frontend, that in itself is scary.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Boooooo to the AV change.

Oh hey! My first avatar change. I've had my orange skull and crossbones for fourteenseventeen years.

although this

quote:

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever.

is a pretty great quote.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2020

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

nielsm posted:

Have you tried framing it in terms of what a determined hacker (who doesn't play by the rules) would be able to exfiltrate/destroy/exploit?

Edit: On the other hand, if you have developers who cannot even fathom accessing a service/application with any tools other than the official full-featured frontend, that in itself is scary.

Yes, we've framed it clearly in regards to how it may affect other organizations using the application. Our team is working up the chain toward a solution.

Our team doesn't employ those who manage the resource in question.

Swiss cheese software seems so common... The holes allow for the software heat to dissipate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wicaeed posted:

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB asked us to sign up for a bunch of fake accounts (named for our clients) and astroturf a tech website that had a forum thread that was critical of our company. I did not, but we had a lot of arguments about it. He assured me there was nothing unethical or dishonest about it. :rolleyes: