Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

JFC dude. If your cultural studies perspective is causing you to ask "is he *really* black?" about the art on Imprison, it is not the right lens to be looking through. This is a game. A GAME. The standard is not "is this conclusively proven to be explicitly bigoted or hateful?" it's "does this ever prevent members of marginalized groups from having fun?"

It would probably be better to spell out the reasoning, but banning cards without doing so can absolutely help. The person who would've had a bad experience if they encountered that card won't have that bad experience. They never know about the lack of clear reasoning because they don't even know about the absence, yet it still improves things for them.

Single marginalized groups should have determination over items they feel are problematic. The fact that you jump from that to the most outrageous example of a single person taking offense to something you could think of is problematic in it's own right, but if trans people as a group were saying that calling transmissions by the abridged name was transphobic they'd probably have a good reason for it from their experiences and we should respect that.

It really isn't crucial at this moment to understand exactly how this changes the game going forwards, except to know that WOTC is finally paying attention to some problematic things. WOTC should address what they are doing to prevent creating problematic cards in the future, but whether they going to ban designs that say "destroy all black creatures" is so myopic it's meaningless (and also totally misses the point of the Cleanse ban, which is that cleanse is a word/concept often used for genocide, especially in white supremacy).

Edit: Actually reflecting on it for a second, I can totally see how calling transmissions that could be hurtful. Would you be as dismissive of a gay person talking about how they don't like a certain word being used for cigarettes or bundles of sticks? It doesn't take much to not use the slur, even in a completely different context.

A game is no different than any other work of art. I'm not disagreeing that marginalized people have been excluded/haven't had fun, I'm examining the individual cards and questioning the meaning of those cards; my project is not antithetical to the first statement, and it can help inform it in fact.

Asking what signifies race on a card is a valid question. We need clear reasoning because it helps us determine the new social and creative norms for the game and its narrative elements (art, naming, flavour text.) Improving things is great! Let's just do it from an informed, well-thought out position, instead of the scattershot approach WotC is taking.

I used tranny for transmission as an example because I am a trans woman who has had tranny shouted at me as a slur. It's a good example, because it shows that a single word, even slangy, can have meanings beyond its use as a slur, that those meanings can be contextual, and that those meanings are not objectively created externally, but do occur in the minds of the audience. Calling a car's transmission a tranny is fine, because it contains no malevolence, bigotry, nor shared background; this same argument applies to Cleanse, where "destroy all black creatures" uses similar language to, but has a separate background from a hypothetical Racial Cleansing card that says "destroy all Black creatures."

The tranny example also shows that marginalized people can be incorrect when taking offense at something, and that their responses are not unquestionable. Final determination, as you're arguing, is very tricky; especially without any ability to discuss context, language, or larger cultural meaning and value beforehand. Intersectionality is loving tough, and I'm trying to share my experiences as someone who actually works on these kinds of issues and tries to resolve them with other marginalized people equitably.

And yes, a gay man should be realizing that a human being of sticks or asking for a fag is not the same as using it as a slur. I've been called a fag as a slur, and it sucks, but I do have the reasonable capability to understand that not all languages and meanings are about me, and I expect the same from other marginalized people. It is tough. It hurts. It does sometimes mean swallowing feeling bad, and accepting people don't mean what you thought they meant, and sometimes you do have to inform them there is a hidden meaning or background to what they're saying, even if they don't realize it. Doing the work to make things better is never easy, it is a lot, and it is not going to end in any of our lifetimes. That is why it is crucial we do do it right, that way we set good examples for others to learn from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Missed the good page but Hail Satan :devil:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
here is your demon

Goremand 4BB

Uncommon
Demon
As additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
Flying Trample
ETB each opponent sacrifices a creature
5/5

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tainen posted:

here is your demon

Goremand 4BB

Uncommon
Demon
Flying Trample
5/5

this is a sick uncommon

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tulul posted:

Awesome demon post.

You have no idea how refreshing it is to read a wall of text that’s actually about Magic cards lol. Keep up the good work!

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 11, 2020

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Bust Rodd posted:

I just want KingofSprings to know I’ve had them on my ignore list since March, so if they post like this often it’s literal 100% white noise because I can’t see anything they say unless it’s quoted.

I generally recommend everyone else try that! Even for my posts, if you like!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just lol at the idea of having to ignore someone on the comedy forums SomethingAwful dot com.

If you cant take the posting heat......

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

My bad Pioneer Cats deck is back baby, awooo (cat howl)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I can't decide if permanents requiring an instant payoff to be playable is good or bad. It feels wearying over time, since nothing playable is particularly simple, but it's also p. cool in terms of the knock-on interactions that provide momentum during a game. It's not just the old "play threat, opponent responds with answer" pattern. It's now more akin to "play threat that draws an answer, opponent plays an answer that is also a threat."

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tainen posted:

here is your demon

Goremand 4BB

Uncommon
Demon
Flying Trample
5/5

Thought it might be another downshifted rare but nope! Just some more busted rear end power creep

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is it really power creep if it’s only ever going to be played in limited (where it is pretty spicy, yes).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the marriage of art, flavor and mechanics on this one is absolutely unparalleled, a masterwork

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

The cat is knocking the cup off the table while looking right at you, A+

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kaheera and this are pretty decent lords. Might be worth trying the Cat Deck

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The cat is knocking the cup off the table while looking right at you, A+

Cats and Dogs - masters of artifact destruction :3:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but seeing regular-rear end cats and dogs as things beside a 1/1 doesn't feel right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A+ Flavor.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This is such a flavor-to-mechanics grand slam that it almost makes me wanna play Arena just to cause mischief with it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
that's a nice card you have on the battlefield. would be a shame if someone knocked it off the table

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Oooh, I LIKE this.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
maybe i'm missing something but the number of situtations where paying 3 rather than 2 matters more than being able to hit planeswalkers, enchantments and artifacts seems too narrow for this to ever see play over spell pierce in formats where both are legal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

2 to 3 is a pretty big difference. Consider the difference in power level between Mana Leak and Quench.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I played flusterstorm maindeck in legacy infect because every other card I cared about countering at the time started in their sideboard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Thanks for covering page 666 for me, I missed the entire page.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I liked miscast at first, but the more I think about it the worse it is. In modern, legacy, and vintage the situation it is better then fluster storm are so narrow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

is he black?!?!?!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even ignoring Flusterstorm, the deckbuilding situations in which it gets the slot over both Spell Pierce and Dispel are pretty slim.

I feel like it's also worse than Mystical Dispute when you really look at it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arivia posted:

is he black?!?!?!

People outing themselves is the best.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

is he black?!?!?!

Good grief.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

is he black?!?!?!

what the gently caress is this post

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kild posted:

what the gently caress is this post

I'm referencing the discussion from a few pages ago about Barrin's skin colour, since he's quoted on that card https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897251&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=663#post505592511

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kaheera and this are pretty decent lords. Might be worth trying the Cat Deck

There are a lot of cats in standard, including some decent one drops like Garrison Cat and Charmed Stray. You also get Bronzehide Lion, Ajani's Pridemate, and a whole bunch of powerful 3 drops, including Lurrus. Not that many ways to grow pridemate and no undercosted threats/card draw to make it into a zombie tier deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Arivia posted:

I'm referencing the discussion from a few pages ago about Barrin's skin colour, since he's quoted on that card https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897251&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=663#post505592511

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

So you made that dumbass post as a reference to a dumbass post that says that this guy confuses you for a black guy?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Arivia posted:

is he black?!?!?!

Even I, the resident thread Grandpa thinks this is a dumb post

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can we just stop letting them post here?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

what a cute fella

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kild posted:

So you made that dumbass post as a reference to a dumbass post that says that this guy confuses you for a black guy?

I hadn't actually looked up the card. Figured it would at least be ambiguous and not a weathered man with a tan or olive complexion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Reminder that this was because they were trying to argue that Imprison might not actually be depicting a black person, and therefor shouldn't have been removed for being problematic.