Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Cool as hell but I have no idea if it's any good in game

edit: finished this guy recently

ffoecaf fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JBP posted:

Is running Celestine and St Katherine's mardi gras at the same time dumb as poo poo or cool as hell?

Both.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Cross posting from the painting thread because I'm proud of my incredibly overdone kitbash. Pay no attention to the bit interactions that make no sense, they're cool and I refuse to justify them in any other way.

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Not my best work but I love my sweet angry boi all the same. Building this thing was some of the most fun I've ever had kitbashing something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Perfecto

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

Is running Celestine and St Katherine's mardi gras at the same time dumb as poo poo or cool as hell?

Hang on, if Celestine is there wearing the Armour of St Katherine, but Katherine is also there wearing her armour as a corpse...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

Hang on, if Celestine is there wearing the Armour of St Katherine, but Katherine is also there wearing her armour as a corpse...

If the Imperial Cult is supposed to be a flanderization of Catholicism then one of them is just a copy in order to get that sweet pilgrimage dosh.

Real answer: You just put more thought into it than GW ever did

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The real armour is in a governor's mansion impressing guests.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Endman posted:

The Armour of St. Katherine is whatever armor St. Katherine happens to be wearing at the time so they probably slapped a slightly fancier suit of power armor on her skeleton and called it a day.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
The Triumph is wearing reliquary armor you can see the bones through, Celestine is wearing the combat armor

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, Celestine found her armour and the sword separate from Katherine's body.

They put her in any old poo poo when she died and the sword in the procession is just representative.

I suppose you could do a Ship of Theseus type riddle about whether or not what Celestine carries is the actual equipment, given how many times she's died, though, but she does have to collect all the armour pieces and the sword again while in the Warp, so they're probably the real deal.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 11, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The good news is Orktober is right around the corner.

I like the new blast rules really takes the edge out of rolling a 1.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LingcodKilla posted:

The good news is Orktober is right around the corner.

Oh sweet, more buggies

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ffoecaf posted:

edit: finished this guy recently
It will never cease to amaze me how dumb the plastic version of that thing looks. The resin version you painted looks so cool, but the plastic contemptor just looks awful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I suspect it's because the resin one has some poseability to it, the plastic one they just managed to chose the most static and boring pose imaginable for it. They made the mistake of posing it like the regular box dread, which doesn't really work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/11/terrain-rules-and-line-of-sightgw-homepage-post-1

So terrain comes with traits now, to be determined while setting up the table.

Also you obviously don't have to follow the table sizes mentioned earlier this week since they're just recommendations.
Tomorrow, it's flyers.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 11, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pretty mean nerf to Titanic models in there. Anytime there's a "I can shoot you, but you can't shoot me" situation it sucks hard to be "you".

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It turns out that blundering a gigiantic war machine into dense terrain filled with infantry is a poor choice.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

jng2058 posted:

Pretty mean nerf to Titanic models in there. Anytime there's a "I can shoot you, but you can't shoot me" situation it sucks hard to be "you".

I’d like to see it modified to where if the smaller models shot the titanic unit, then it can shoot back. Of course this really only works well if we didn’t have IGO/UGO and instead a more flexible turn system.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
It actually creates a weird situation if when is it better to be on a terrain feature, since units ON AND IN the terrain can be targetted as normal, but get +1 to saves. I can appreciate the idea, but now it feels like it'll be better to never actually be in an Obscuring terrain feature, and instead keep it between your units and the thing most dangerous to them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Is it just me or is heavy cover kind of . . . broken? Like, the way I'm reading it, the charging aggressor gets the bonus, so why would a defender ever want to stay in heavy cover?

Obscuring, on the other hand, is interesting. I like that for ruins, you now get a choice between holding back and getting fully obscured cover, or going onto the ruins for better positioning but downgrading to a regular cover bonus.

That said, does this mean no more TLOS? If I keep my whole army behind a windowless portion of obscuring cover, are they still targetable? Or does this mean if you have a gunner at the window, it can be targeted as normal, but you can't just casually snipe through three different buildings?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 11, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Bee posted:

Is it just me or is heavy cover kind of . . . broken? Like, the way I'm reading it, the charging aggressor gets the bonus, so why would a defender ever want to stay in heavy cover?

Obscuring, on the other hand, is interesting. I like that for ruins, you now get a choice between holding back and getting fully obscured cover, or going onto the ruins for better positioning but downgrading to a regular cover bonus.

Using this picture as an example:

I'm pretty sure only the guardsmen would get the benefit of heavy cover from that terrain because they're in it. The anime robots tripping over ammo crates outside wouldn't get any benefit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Bee posted:

If your opponent managed to get their entire unit onto the terrain feature during the charge, yes. That doesn't seem particularly likely for most terrain I've ever played on.

Lots of stuff in 9th seems to be predicated on the idea that the first round of combat isn't going to kill you. We'll see if that's true in practice.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

xtothez posted:

Using this picture as an example:

I'm pretty sure only the guardsmen would get the benefit of heavy cover from that terrain because they're in it. The anime robots tripping over ammo crates outside wouldn't get any benefit.

I think I get what you mean. So on the charge, they attack as normal. Then afterwards, they have to deal with the penalty unless they can breach and seize the cover. And it makes sense if they ambush you from behind and squeeze onto the terrain feature, they stand to benefit while your units are literally pinned against the wall.

Reading it that way, I like it!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

The Bee posted:

That said, does this mean no more TLOS? If I keep my whole army behind a windowless portion of obscuring cover, are they still targetable? Or does this mean if you have a gunner at the window, it can be targeted as normal, but you can't just casually snipe through three different buildings?

I think they said they wanted to get rid of TLOS because it leads to the whole "snipe a squad through 4 windows and a cracked wall because I can see that one guys arm" situation.

Obscured is less about a huge decision between being on or in a piece of terrain (like sure that's a thing and all) and more about not being able to have a unit fire though two ruins and some trees to hit something that's hardly visible across the table. The first thing does matter sometimes but I imagine that usually you'll just want to grab the save bonus unless it's a counter-charge squad hanging back with a gunline or an anti-tank unit that is going to fire at a Knight or other Titanic unit while hiding from everything else.

Plus there's doubtless more terrain rules that will make it a bit more complex than just this.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
And I imagine you'll still need to draw good line of sight, and the 18w rule is more to stop someone from claiming concealed when you can see half the knight

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol why couldn't they make that 19 wounds, my poor Magnus is going to continue to get blasted off the table turn 1

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/11/new-rules-for-the-imperiumgw-homepage-post-2/

Oh hey, the Silent Custards rules update slipped me by completely.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm trying to figure out what sort of terrain would count as Heavy Cover but not also Light Cover. The trench line in the pic used for the example for the last couple of posts seems ideal as both Light and Heavy, and I could see something like light woods or brush being Light Cover only, but what kind of terrain makes you harder to get to in melee but not harder to shoot at? A fence? :confused:

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
The way I'm reading heavy cover is that the unit that was charged gains the cover bonus, but the charging unit does not.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
A chain linked fence has potential there. Or, like, some kind of low-g zone where your movements are too floaty to properly coordinate. A Deathworld jungle floor where vines snag at your feet. The good thing about modular terrain like this is you can get bizarre with it.

Maybe some of the less used terrain types, like the Emperor statue and exploding barrels in the old rulebook, can get new leases on life as tags like that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol why couldn't they make that 19 wounds, my poor Magnus is going to continue to get blasted off the table turn 1

My Morty :(

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
alas, poor Saint Katherine is also sitting at 18 wounds.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Riptides are 14 wounds so this is gonna be fun

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote:

Thanks to their Talons of the Emperor rule, the Sisters of Silence can be added into any Adeptus Custodes army.

This is very cool and good, however its the only mention of TotE in the article. Did GW write a more fleshed out version of TotE somewhere, or do we just have to wait until the book drops for the full deets

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
They want big things to get shot. Really hard to justify Magnus with his big red horns and giant wings hunkering down and taking cover being a giant red dude that thinks nothing can stop him.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is very cool and good, however its the only mention of TotE in the article. Did GW write a more fleshed out version of TotE somewhere, or do we just have to wait until the book drops for the full deets

I would imagine that you'll have to wait, although they could always publish a second article tomorrow.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Haven't seen the full version of the rule floating around anywhere, just that and mentions elsewhere that it'll somehow make it easier to field mixed forces of Custodes and Sisters of Silence.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I hope including Sisters doesn't cancel out The Emperor's Chosen and Sworn Guardians. Like how including a single assassin in a Space Marine force stops Combat Doctrines for some inane reason.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Folks at tabletop tactics were playtesters for 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLM6O6Aglc

At about ~6:15 minute in they mention that they weren't involved in playtesting the core rule playtesting, but they were for the codexes.

This implies that all of the codexes are already written?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Folks at tabletop tactics were playtesters for 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLM6O6Aglc

At about ~6:15 minute in they mention that they weren't involved in playtesting the core rule playtesting, but they were for the codexes.

This implies that all of the codexes are already written?

you could also interpret this as they were playtesting the existing codexes to verify that they worked with the new core ruleset

I know this opinion is less exciting.