Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kild posted:

So you made that dumbass post as a reference to a dumbass post that says that this guy confuses you for a black guy?

no, I'm referencing where I pointed out that Christopher Rush depicted Barrin, a character who is otherwise depicted as white, using the same colours and shading he uses for the man on the art of Imprison, which means the race of the character on the second card is ambiguous

@tom clancy is dead: you doofus, having this argument is literally showing how the card is problematic, and I'm trying to discuss that, not issue some blanket decree that it shouldn't be removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

no, I'm referencing where I pointed out that Christopher Rush depicted Barrin, a character who is otherwise depicted as white, using the same colours and shading he uses for the man on the art of Imprison, which means the race of the character on the second card is ambiguous

@tom clancy is dead: you doofus, having this argument is literally showing how the card is problematic, and I'm trying to discuss that, not issue some blanket decree that it shouldn't be removed

vs

I dont see how you can be confused fella.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Trying to veer away from all the :one: posting happening right now, RB Sac continues to be good. Peaked mid 400 with it, only losing so far to Mono R (close 3 games) and Jund Citadel (just out card advantaged). It feels like a good deck in the current midrange meta.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

---------

Arivia posted:

Cleanse and Imprison seem like weird picks to me. Are they afraid of a white card that says destroy all black creatures? I guess you could read it as having racial connotations maybe? If you don't have any contextual understanding of magic at all, or why the game uses colour theory?

Arivia posted:

I can see that, but I don't think removing things solely for being a bad look when they have a justifiable origin inside the game itself for other reasons is a good idea.

Like if I'm missing something on the art, sure; all the other ones (except Imprison) make sense to me for that reason or because they are indeed awkward/obscure slurs.

But a card looking bad at first glance isn't a reason to remove it, or they should never have printed that first "sacrifice a human" card either.

Arivia posted:

Right, that's what I'm pointing out - putting the line at "feels awkward" is very different from "deliberately invokes prejudice or hatred in any way in its flavour" (art: invoke prejudice; text: stone-throwing devils). I think it's worrying if WotC puts the line at the former instead of the latter.

Arivia posted:

Is he black? A quick look at scryfall turns up other art by Christopher Rush with similar skin tones, light, and heavy shading:

uh huh

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 11, 2020

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have a DCI promo foil crusade from when I played in the junior super series.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just wanted to point out the cat lord is a flavor fail because siamese cats can't have green eyes! :colbert:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cats might actually be a tier 2.5 deck or something in Pioneer or Modern. I can see not a lot, but many decks having trouble against an "always on" artifact + enchantment destruction.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

InterrupterJones posted:

Trying to veer away from all the :one: posting happening right now, RB Sac continues to be good. Peaked mid 400 with it, only losing so far to Mono R (close 3 games) and Jund Citadel (just out card advantaged). It feels like a good deck in the current midrange meta.
I've been trying to tune my own RB sac deck in the current meta, and would be curious to see your list if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

I probably like the Chandra-Priest combo a little bit too much for my own good (I'm sometimes prone to running suboptimal cards just because they're fun when they work together).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Goddamn that's a nasty counter

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

New rule, if you make more than 4 posts whining about the racist cards, you've just outed yourself as a racist and you get banned and go to hell

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Ersatz posted:

I've been trying to tune my own RB sac deck in the current meta, and would be curious to see your list if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

I probably like the Chandra-Priest combo a little bit too much for my own good (I'm sometimes prone to running suboptimal cards just because they're fun when they work together).

It's a pretty stock list that I found floating around that arena decklists twitter account:

The SB here actually feels pretty good. I've never had a reason to board in Theater of Horrors, so I'd probably change it a little bit but not by much. At first I thought it was weird to have Jegantha in there, but there actually have been games where having a 5/5 is enough to finish off a game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Goddamn that's a nasty counter

The flavor text is a solid burn too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LifeLynx posted:

Cats might actually be a tier 2.5 deck or something in Pioneer or Modern. I can see not a lot, but many decks having trouble against an "always on" artifact + enchantment destruction.

This was a budget Pioneer deck written about in Pioneer's early days-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2633002#paper

GW without a combo kill is just too fair and really misses Path to Exile. That said I was playing around with a list like this with a pre-nerf Kaheera Companion and enjoying it. You could cut the more expensive Cats for 4 of this guy and 2-3 Lurrus for some extra card advantage, and even still run Kaheera just for yucks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is Jegantha just there as a 5/5 you can draw eventually?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Is Jegantha just there as a 5/5 you can draw eventually?

Yeah it's there because it only costs a sb slot, everything you play fits the deckbuilding restriction already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

New rule, if you make more than 4 posts whining about the racist cards, you've just outed yourself as a racist and you get banned and go to hell

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’ve been on Sacdos for a while. It seems good, I’m gonna try to put in reps on it before the qualifier on the 20th. Definitely great in BO1. If you can stick a Mayhem Devil against MonoR you basically win on the spot. Free hint: if you have another three drop and a Passage, run that poo poo out first and use passage for a free ping.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just wanted to point out the cat lord is a flavor fail because siamese cats can't have green eyes! :colbert:

It's a magic cat

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What's the RB sac list of choice?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Beautiful top-down design of the Eensy Weensy Spider, who cannot be defeated by being washed down the spout

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is cool but honestly with how many good planeswalkers there are i'd rather have spell pierce :/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Something about the art was bothering me, so I had a hunch. It's the first Spider in Magic history to be portrayed walking on a ceiling, unless I'm missing some alternate art for these cards.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is cool but honestly with how many good planeswalkers there are i'd rather have spell pierce :/

My thoughts exactly. Imagine holding this up then they play Teferi I'd concede on the spot probably.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Miscast seems like a sb card for a very proactive deck against a very reactive deck, which is rarely what Standard is about these days but might come up some. It helps push threats through counters, protects them against removal, and stops wraths. In that specific context, it's significantly better than Spell Pierce - think about the difference between Mana Leak and Quench.

However most of the time it's pretty medium, as a lot of the answers in Standard are proactive permanents that play to the board. You can't rely on this in Flash when instead of trying to cast a removal spell the opponent is likely to slam an Uro or Questing Beast, and it doesn't stop format defining answers like Teferi or ECD.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Not sure if some of these were spoiled already or not.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Something about the art was bothering me, so I had a hunch. It's the first Spider in Magic history to be portrayed walking on a ceiling, unless I'm missing some alternate art for these cards.

I was certain that this wasn't the case and there was at least one earlier depiction of a spider hanging from a ceiling but it turns out I was thinking of this:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tainen posted:

good pig

:shroom: he should have protection from thallids, though, or deathtouch but just for fungs

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
has the card maro hinted at with “printed 20 times with 5 arts” been revealed yet?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

between this and animate dead there has to be a better way to template enchant thing that changes after you enchant it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dragon enthusiast posted:

between this and animate dead there has to be a better way to template enchant thing that changes after you enchant it

that's specifically trying to template it in a way that doesn't let people tap in response

edit: oh it's templated after this card

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devor posted:

Beautiful top-down design of the Eensy Weensy Spider, who cannot be defeated by being washed down the spout

oh poo poo :haw:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

flatluigi posted:

that's specifically trying to template it in a way that doesn't let people tap in response

edit: oh it's templated after this card

in this case it would be untap in response but yeah

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

dragon enthusiast posted:

i think as written the creature can't dodge the spell by untapping

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Weekly MTG show:

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Think this is a nice replacement for Midnight Reaper once it and Teferi Time Raveler rotate.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

AngryBooch posted:

Think this is a nice replacement for Midnight Reaper once it and Teferi Time Raveler rotate.

Hmmm ya, I run two midnight reapers in b/g adventure knights and I’ve been considering lurrus once reaper rotates, but this will definitely get some test runs. Lurrus isn’t amazing, neither is midnight reaper most of the time too

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

uggy posted:

Hmmm ya, I run two midnight reapers in b/g adventure knights and I’ve been considering lurrus once reaper rotates, but this will definitely get some test runs. Lurrus isn’t amazing, neither is midnight reaper most of the time too

Might go well in Dimir Flash shells eventually where you can hold up Borrower, Slitherwisp, or Bearer on turn 3. Enough good flash 3 drops for sure. Losing Brineborn Cutthroat and Spectral Sailor will hurt but Blacklance Paragon is a hell of a card and Cunning Nightbonder is.... well it exists.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's kindof interesting since Knight is a relevant creature type. I feel like for the main use cases of this card (wrath insurance, post-alpha strike) I'd probably rather have Unbreakable Formation though for the current format.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

AngryBooch posted:

It's good for exactly the situation where you have a strong board already and suspect a board clear and don't want to overcommit, and where reaper might be countered. What I don't like about it is that I'm incentivized to hold on to this forever waiting for the perfect moment. It's bad for tempo unlike reaper. And it doesn't draw from itself like reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

He synergizes really well with big Lili from WAR, and that Hydra works well with Wildborn Preserver.

Edit: Stonecoil Serpent, too